Debate and Discussion

Sheesh... Insults these days...
Sea_Cow at 7:19PM, June 27, 2007
(offline)
Has anyone noticed the way that people fling the words “gay” and “retarded” around as petty little insults? Personally, I think that's rather immature. How do actual gay or mentally retarded people feel about that. I'll admit, I've done it myself, and I'm not very proud of it. But people, think about what you're saying!
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Kohdok at 7:52PM, June 27, 2007
(online)
Ah, those immature little insults that little teenagers use. I have my own way of shooting those down.

Stupid kid #1: What, are you gay, or something?

Me: (In a voice that would make Gunther jealous) For you babe, I could be.

What can I say? Gay is the new “Army Boots”; The new “Commie”, and so on. Insults have always been lame.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
maritalbliss at 8:47PM, June 27, 2007
(offline)
I used to be a teacher (I know, I start a lot of posts that way) anyway, one of my first experiences in the classroom…

I came in and this adorable little girls with long brown hair that was in pigtails had squashed herself in this little space between a file-cabnet and the wall. I squatted down to ask her what was wrong. She was heaving and looked at me with big brown glassy eyes, tears streaming down her blotchy pink cheeks. “Evan called me a poopface.”

It was all I could do not to burst out laughing. Yeah…People are like that. I've been called EVEY uncreative thing under the book. In my head, I respond with, “Poopface.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Boss at 9:48PM, June 27, 2007
(offline)
I've grown increasingly tired of F-bombs and middle fingers over the years because they don't have the same effect. They're not insulting anymore. I enjoy sticking my tongue out at people who flip me off. Usually they get stunned and don't know how to respond.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
ozoneocean at 10:17PM, June 27, 2007
(online)
Hmm, the English language is a fluid thing, the meanings of words constantly evolve and change, particularly the two words mentioned at the start of this thread: “Retarded” and “Gay”.

But one more thing before I address those:
You should really be thankful for these derogatory words, rude gestures, and swear words. They allow you to better express your feelings in a simple, non violent, satisfying way. Besides, in languages other than English the choice of insults is a LOT more varied, imaginative and many times more crude. In many cultures it's not surprising to have a nice old grandmother tell someone to “go back to their mother's vagina”, that is an actual insult and a common one. Lastly, these insults, words, and phrases are old and venerable, with long histories in our literature, it's lovely that they are just as current today as they were in the past!

Now, Gay and Retarded… I know very MANY old people who're still annoyed that the meaning of the word “Gay” has changed to refer to homosexual men and the related subculture, when the original and very widely spread meaning of the word was simply “Joyous”, or “happy in a light and pleasant way”. That this word has changed again to mean something dull, stupid, boring, or unfashionable is a delightful exercise in transition of the word into its very own antonym! lol!

Retarded actually means “slowed down”, or “to be reduced in some way”. Its meaning was later applied to the mentally handicapped to refer to their learning difficulties, which of course changed its meaning. Now that meaning is being changed once more to something else! This is what happens in our language I'm afraid, the meanings of words alter.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Sea_Cow at 10:32PM, June 27, 2007
(offline)
Ozoneocean
Retarded actually means “slowed down”, or “to be reduced in some way”. Its meaning was later applied to the mentally handicapped to refer to their learning difficulties, which of course changed its meaning. Now that meaning is being changed once more to something else! This is what happens in our language I'm afraid, the meanings of words alter.
Yeah, I know about that. I first learned about it when I saw the musical term ritard, which means to play slowly. It also makes sense. A mentally retarded person is someone who has to learn at a slower pace. And now…

The words are being defiled, whether or not they were very pleasant to begin with.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
ZeroVX at 4:27AM, June 28, 2007
(online)
maritalbliss
I used to be a teacher (I know, I start a lot of posts that way) anyway, one of my first experiences in the classroom…

I came in and this adorable little girls with long brown hair that was in pigtails had squashed herself in this little space between a file-cabnet and the wall. I squatted down to ask her what was wrong. She was heaving and looked at me with big brown glassy eyes, tears streaming down her blotchy pink cheeks. “Evan called me a poopface.”

It was all I could do not to burst out laughing. Yeah…People are like that. I've been called EVEY uncreative thing under the book. In my head, I respond with, “Poopface.”

…wow. “Poopface”.

Don't you just miss the days when that was the big insult, instead of eff this and eff that?

Eff you, mother-effer!

“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
wyldflowa at 8:27AM, June 28, 2007
(offline)
Ahaha… I am constantly throwing the words “gay”, “retard” and very often “faggot/fag” around the place (I blame Supahnariobros for me saying fag a lot, fag-ankle). I even yell racial slurs sometimes… XD But I never EVER use the words as anything derogatory - it's the environment I was bought up in and the language people use around here. Calling someone “gay” is synonymous to calling them stupid - there's positively no connection to actual homosexuality (at least not when I use it). It probably started off that way but nowadays the meaning has shifted and evolved. Like the word “shit” was once considered very offensive it now isn't hardly as bad and it's meaning has changed from just denoting faeces to a number of other things (for example if you call something “the shit” it means it's good, nothing to do with poo XD).

It's not the words that are bad but the feeling behind them. Someone maliciously saying “you're a disgusting faggot” and really meaning to be hurtful to homosexuals is much more upsetting than someone flippantly saying “that's so gay”.

It's when insults get really personal that they're at their most hurtful. “Gay” and “retard” are just words and don't mean much on their own… put them together with anger and personal jibes and they can be horrible. It's the context the words are used in not the words themselves that make them insulting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
kyupol at 9:09AM, June 28, 2007
(online)
I heard that in north korea, people call each other “american imperialist” (maybe this translates as a shorter syllable word or somethin…) as an insult or something. Just like how we use fag or retard.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
marine at 9:16AM, June 28, 2007
(offline)
kyupol
I heard that in north korea, people call each other “american imperialist” (maybe this translates as a shorter syllable word or somethin…) as an insult or something. Just like how we use fag or retard.

YOURE SO AMERICAN KYUPOL!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
ZeroVX at 9:26AM, June 28, 2007
(online)
marine
kyupol

YOURE SO AMERICAN KYUPOL!

Well, considering you did make Bush president TWICE, I suppose it could be used as a synonym for “idiot”.

And then there's Azumanga Daioh's use of American which I'm not going into even if Cthulhu asks me which I have a feeling he will.

Notice that that last sentence was just too long?
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
Sysli at 4:05PM, June 28, 2007
(online)
Ozoneocean is right, language does change, and so does insults.
Some may disagree, but slang and insults can pretty often be very creative. Especially if you happen to run into a group of people who have “specialized” insults. Let me give you an example:
Me and my friends have a tendency to make some farfetched conclusions about things. I once concluded that Satan is a beaver. If I wanted to, I could begin using this as an insult by calling people “beaver-lovers” or something simmilar, but only a few people would understand that insult. In order for an insult to work the person you direct it towards have to understand what it is you're calling him/her somehow.

What I secretly want to do is to use outdated slang like the wonderful word “kvabodder” that basically meant… something like “idiot” in my language. Nobody uses it anymore, but people would still get the idea that I think they aren't too clever.

But as to what those people feel. Well, insults is about comparing somebody to something unpleasant/undesirable most of the time, and it's probably not fun, but I guess you either get over it or begin taking a sort of pride in it after a while. I've seen “Emo” and “Goth” used as an insult many times but it doesn't seem to bother them much.
You can't stop insults from being unpleasant and using minorities as comparisons. Unless you're using specialized insults, then you can, but only the ones who know about your slang will understand it.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
isaacthereaper at 12:09PM, June 29, 2007
(offline)
well sense this part of the forum is supposed to be for letting out a wee bit of stress, i'd like to say why is it so freaking hard to get art programs i've had my comic on hold up for ages!! i neeed to get me some i want to make cool comics and if it's ok to curse in spanish my nex few posts will be in spanish.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ZeroVX at 1:49PM, June 29, 2007
(online)
Uh, this thread is about insults.

If you want to complain about art programs, make a new thread.

V for Vendetta, V.
Eagle at 7:37AM, June 30, 2007
(offline)
Someone
Yikes, that was hateful. Some of us really had no choice in the matter you know. At the time I was way too young to vote. Also, my parents voted against Bush. Does that still make us idiots?

I hate it when people use nationality as an insult. Each country has many different types of people. They have no choice over the stereotype that is imposed upon them.

Other than the French that is.
Enema.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
ozoneocean at 3:26PM, June 30, 2007
(online)
This is a debate and discussion section
Most of you KNOW that. I do some modding here to help Hawk out and that's what I'm doing now, I just deleted a lot of rubbish posts by Cthulhu, ZeroVX and one by Kyupol.
That kind of rubbish isn't tolerated in the D+D forum, keep doing it and you'll be banned from this particular forum for good.
-that will mean that if you post here while banned you'll get banned from the rest of the forums as well.

NoW settle down!

Gah… Sorry for seeming mean here, but those guys know they're not suppose to behave that way in this forum and their behaviour is very disappointing. :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
daniel_the_drummer at 4:56PM, June 30, 2007
(offline)
I stopped using these words as insults when i accidently offended a gay woman who had a retarded cousin. How unfortunate and embarressing. I felt awful. Absolutely awful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
kyupol at 5:05PM, June 30, 2007
(online)
This is a debate and discussion section

And this thread by itself is a thread worthy of the general section or top drawer.

Theres nothing much to debate and discuss about insults.

Now please move, lock, or delete this thread, Mr. Admin. I believe you made a mistake allowing this thread in this section in the first place.

Or maybe you just got a beef with the people who posted the other shit… and you wanna powertrip cuz it makes you feel good about yourself.

lol you crack me up.

Ok fine fine.

I'd just post in 1 of the million other forums out there.

This msg board IS north korea.

lol

Bye. :)

-Ozoneocean- You don't crack me up Kyupol. I know that you're actually very bright, but at times like these it seems you'd rather pretend you weren't.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Hawk at 9:36PM, June 30, 2007
(online)
Kyupol, if you don't think a thread is a good debate topic, it doesn't mean you're free to screw it up. Weak topics find there way to the bottom of the page naturally. Something tells me I'd be too hopeful to think you'd really go to some other forum to pull this stuff.

So, of course this is getting locked. Anyone who can make a solid case to unlock it should send me a PQ.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved