Media Megaforum

Sherlock Holmes
SarahN at 3:38PM, Dec. 7, 2009
(online)
Doesn't look terrible, but looks a bit over the top actioney for a Sherlock Holmes movie. But I guess it's 2009, and they have to abuse computer effects on everything. >_>

..and am I the only one who thinks Jude Law would've worked better as Holmes rather than Watson? And I really don't think ‘Sherlock Holmes’ when I look at Robert Downey Jr. either…but that's just me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
3D Glasses at 4:12PM, Dec. 7, 2009
(online)
Jude Law probably would have made a better Holmes if they had stuck to the books. But you know, everything can benefit from a bit of blood, breasts and boxing. Apparently.

I actually think it'll be good, in a not-at-all-like-the-books kind of way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
mechanical_lullaby at 1:06AM, Dec. 8, 2009
(online)
I'm actually really excited for this movie.
I just dislike the fact that it's coming out on Christmas Day. That small vacation is nice for anyone, and I always feel bad for the people working at the movie theaters. A job is a job, but the crap they have to put up with.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
PhilWrede at 9:14AM, Dec. 8, 2009
(offline)
Holmes is more like Tony Stark than anyone's apparently willing to admit, and for that reason alone, I think RDJ was a great choice (he's certainly more Stark than Holmes, but it's still there).

I've had a lot of fun watching the trailers, and I sure do hope that the movie delivers…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Hawk at 11:18AM, Dec. 8, 2009
(online)
I don't really like what they're doing with Sherlock Holmes in the movie… I always liked to think of him as a classy guy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
therealtj at 4:37PM, Dec. 8, 2009
(online)
This movie looks amazing.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Atom Apple at 7:04PM, Dec. 8, 2009
(online)
Hawk
I don't really like what they're doing with Sherlock Holmes in the movie… I always liked to think of him as a classy guy.
He always seemed more eccentric and cocky to me.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
lasteffect at 6:43PM, Dec. 9, 2009
(online)
Movie looks interesting… Dunno if I'll catch it in theaters or not, but it is a rent, at the least.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
ozoneocean at 7:31PM, Dec. 9, 2009
(online)
Atom Apple
He always seemed more eccentric and cocky to me.
He was. And he was a drug addict like Downey Jnr.
…But he's often described as sick, a bit frail and in bad health, although a good fighter if he needs to be.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
DAJB at 11:56PM, Dec. 9, 2009
(online)
3D Glasses
Jude Law probably would have made a better Holmes if they had stuck to the books. But you know, everything can benefit from a bit of blood, breasts and boxing. Apparently.
Jude Law has breasts?!
;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
TheMidge28 at 10:42AM, Dec. 10, 2009
(online)
I'm excited because its a Guy Ritchie flick. I enjoyed Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and Rockarolla. I looking forward to his spin on this classic character.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
ozoneocean at 1:27AM, Dec. 11, 2009
(online)
I saw the preview.
I'll be honest; it looks F**king stupid- In relation to the classic Holmes that is. I love the classic Holmes, this is more of the testosterone Hollywood punch in the face crap that's everywhere these days.

That said, it might be ok for all that, in a comic book movie sort of way, If you're in the mood for something on that level. So in of itself it may not be all that bad at all.

Some classic adaptions of Holmes can be boring as hell. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
skoolmunkee at 1:49PM, Dec. 11, 2009
(online)
I think it might be interesting, I might wait for DVD though. I actually avoided reading the Holmes stories based on the mass media impression I had of the characters. It was a pleasant surprise that Holmes is actually a manic depressive drug addict, egotistical, patronizing, and a control freak. Watson isn't a fat old idiot either. In the stories he's portrayed as still youthful, a veteran with a bum knee or something but still fit, smart and brave. I seem to remember him being a bit of a gambler or something too, he wasn't so perfect either.

All the mass media stuff focuses on this idea of Holmes as a brilliant, classy but eccentric genius, which is kind of boring. It might be interesting to watch a movie that is meant to be a bit more fun and bring out more of their charater flaws.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Hawk at 4:24PM, Dec. 14, 2009
(online)
I like the classier, smarter Holmes. I'm all for a few character flaws to help round out a character and make them real, but I feel like they're sort of going overboard these days. Everyone's so enamored with the antihero. I'd rather watch the guy solving mysteries with his uncanny genius. The trailers make it look like the movie's entire focus is how much a bastard he is, and I'm not interested in that.

For the record, I didn't like Tony Stark in Ironman, either… and I realize I'm in the minority.
I Am The 1337 Master at 4:10PM, Dec. 15, 2009
(offline)
Ditto to what SarahN said.

I actually read (half) of the complete collection of stories and adored them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
DAJB at 2:42AM, Dec. 16, 2009
(online)
I just saw the clip with Holmes taking part in a fist fighting contest. Wow. All that voiceover narration letting us know exactly what Holmes is doing and how he is therefore able to take down a much larger opponent … I think Guy Ritchie must have been re-reading The Dark Knight Returns!

It's not released here in the UK until Boxing Day but I think it might turn out to be one of those films that really shouldn't work, but somehow manages to be fun anyway!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
3D Glasses at 1:52PM, Dec. 17, 2009
(online)
DAJB
3D Glasses
Jude Law has breasts?!
;-)

>.>

Rachel McAdams does. Silly billy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
lefarce at 1:59PM, Dec. 24, 2009
(online)
Hawk

opium is a classy drug

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
mechanical_lullaby at 10:55AM, Dec. 26, 2009
(online)
This movie was epic. Action and killing people and hangings and sarcasm!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
lefarce at 4:26PM, Dec. 27, 2009
(online)

Sherlock Holmes is a classy guy, this movie doesn't capture the essence of the books at all!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
lastcall at 3:42AM, Dec. 28, 2009
(offline)
I'm not surprised the movie was 2nd in the box office this weekend (Avatar was 1st)–it was a little too intellectual for today's audience, and wasn't a movie that parents could bring their kids to. I liked the gritty, gloomy style of the movie, though. Made me feel like I was there. Robert Downey Jr. did a good job, but I've never seen Holmes portrayed in that way before. Usually we see him all prim and proper, not disheveled and insane. I'm surprised they cast Jude Law as Watson–he would have made a better Holmes in my opinion.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
mlai at 7:55AM, Dec. 28, 2009
(online)
So did this movie's Sherlock do any “deductions” and actual detective stuff, or was this movie Sherlock Holmes, British Action Hero?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hawk at 10:29AM, Dec. 28, 2009
(online)
mlai
So did this movie's Sherlock do any “deductions” and actual detective stuff, or was this movie Sherlock Holmes, British Action Hero?

That's what I'm wondering, too. I really enjoy smart heroes, and I'd still sit through all the Michael-Bay-like stuff if I knew it had some clever detective work.
Air Raid Robertson at 1:19PM, Dec. 28, 2009
(online)
I saw the movie and liked it. I didn't love it, but I did like it.

I didn't have any issues of Robert Downey Jr.'s performance. He mumbled here and there, but overall his accent was passable and his performance was fun and entertaining. I was okay with his more slovenly take on Holmes as well. Somebody with that many different things going on in his mind usually doesn't have terribly great hygiene.

Besides, I wasn't expecting him to be Basil Rathbone. That man is the definitive Sherlock Holmes, but he's dead and nobody can replace him. It's better that they try to look at the character from a different angle. After all, Basil Rathbone's Sherlock is quite different from the one in the Arthur Conan Doyle stories. (Most of his films take place in the 1940's rather than the Victorian era)

I like how they drew from all the various prior interpretations of Sherlock Holmes. The Arthur Conan Doyle stories are obvious, but they also took bits and pieces from the non-Doyle material as well as the old movies and even the radio shows from the 1930's. For example, the subplot involving Watson's engagement is straight from the radio drama.

Speaking of Dr. Watson, I was pleasantly surprised by Jude Law. I never really thought of him as all that great an actor, but he performed well in the movie. His banter with Robert Downey Jr. was witty and engaging. I thought the Holmes/Watson rapport was terrific, which is pretty crucial when one it doing a Sherlock Holmes movie.

However, I wasn't all that crazy about Rachel McAdams as the token love interest. The character had a little more to do than most token love interests. (Not much, but a little) And, well, I don't think the actress was all that up to it. Most of the scenes she was in where she didn't need to be rescued kinda sorta dragged.

The mystery plot and the bench characters were pretty solid. (Especially the Scotland Yard inspector) I liked how they kept Professor Moriarty in the shadows for most of the movie. That's pretty much how it should be.

Overall, I enjoyed myself and it was a good bit of fun. I suppose that's all I should really ask of this.

If they make another one, however, I would like to see them do the iconic waterfall fight between Holmes and Moriarty.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
therealtj at 2:53PM, Dec. 28, 2009
(online)
mlai
Yes, even with the action scenes, it is certainly a Sherlock Holmes movie at heart. He figures out mysteries using little clues, which he points out subtly, then at the end he explains everything.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Byth1 at 10:56PM, Dec. 31, 2009
(online)
mlai

Dude, that was how I was like. When I saw the movie I was all like “Is it me, or does Sherlock Holmes know kung fu”, lol.
Updated every friday!
Updated every monday!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
shirkersama at 9:29PM, Jan. 2, 2010
(online)
I saw the movie and thought it was OK. Not great, not bad, just OK. I just read all of Poe's work about a month ago and I couldn't help but think that Dupin would have solved the case within five minutes. The fight scenes where he planned everything out were pretty BA though.
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
EssayBee at 11:06AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
Air Raid Robertson
Besides, I wasn't expecting him to be Basil Rathbone. That man is the definitive Sherlock Holmes, but he's dead and nobody can replace him.

Many people, unfortunately, think of Rathbone when they think of Holmes, but he was a poor Holmes (and his films are where the Watson-as-a-buffoon stereotype came from). If you're looking for a true representation of Doyle's Holmes, Jeremy Brett is the definitive Holmes (and his Watson wasn't a buffoon like Rathbone's).

Regarding wanting to see the “waterfall fight” from “The Final Problem” . . . You can't show that until “The Adventure of The Empty House,” or else you'd lose all of the drama from Holmes's death. Still, a film based on (or, as would more likely be the case, inspired by) “The Final Problem” and “The Adventure of the Empty House” would make a pretty good movie.

I'll probably see the new movie on Blu-ray, but the interviews I've read with the producers of the movie showed that they had no grasp on Holmes and were talking out of their butts when describing him. I only hope that Downey, Jr. and Richie know how to handle the character, even if they do dumb him down and buff him up for mass consumption.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Cheesecake for Every at 9:30AM, March 12, 2010
(offline)
lastcall
I'm not surprised the movie was 2nd in the box office this weekend (Avatar was 1st)–it was a little too intellectual for today's audience, and wasn't a movie that parents could bring their kids to. I liked the gritty, gloomy style of the movie, though. Made me feel like I was there. Robert Downey Jr. did a good job, but I've never seen Holmes portrayed in that way before. Usually we see him all prim and proper, not disheveled and insane.
“and wasn't a movie that parents could bring their kids to.”
My Dad brought me to see it…i don't think i count as a kid anymore (i act like one sometimes :P)
I liked it a lot.Maybe because i enjoy mysteries in general because i like movies/books that make me think (definately not for today's audience i know many people who would be confused after the first ten minutes).
I hope they make a secound one!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved