Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Should I make a comic?
Lord Shplane at 2:07PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
Okay, I really want to try making a comic, but I have a few problems.

1: I have no artistic ability whatsoever.
2: I'm not sure that I would be able to update regularly.
3: I don't know much about making comics, such as programs my computer would need and so forth.
4: I have a lot of comic idea's, and not all of them would be that good. I don't want to put complete crap on the internet and expect you guys to read it.

Anything else you guys might say to help me would be nice.

If you're helpful enough I'll let you rule a small portion of the world after I conquer it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Runosonta at 2:32PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
1: Not all comics are about art. It could work, as long as it's otherwise interesting.

2: Once a week is regularly enough IMO. Just make, say, 4-5 pages and count from there how much time and energy it took.

3: There are some basic tutorials in the WWW - google on the topics you're new to (panelling, scripting, speech bubbles etc).
Also, you don't need to have any special programs; if you draw on paper a scanner is enough (but rememeber to resize the image, 500-900 pixels width is OK).
I use Photoshop 7, others use MS Paint.. just choose the one you like/have acces to.
- pick a nice, clear font
- try to avoid typos
- don't make things too complicated
- if you use colours, don't overdo it (just a personal point of wiev :P)
- try to have a style that differs from the rest

4: Then pick the best you've got! Harharhar.
Well, you could let a friend read them?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
Lord Shplane at 2:36PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
Runosonta
1: Not all comics are about art. It could work, as long as it's otherwise interesting.

2: Once a week is regularly enough IMO. Just make, say, 4-5 pages and count from there how much time and energy it took.

3: There are some basic tutorials in the WWW - google on the topics you're new to (panelling, scripting, speech bubbles etc).
Also, you don't need to have any special programs; if you draw on paper a scanner is enough (but rememeber to resize the image, 500-900 pixels width is OK).
I use Photoshop 7, others use MS Paint.. just choose the one you like/have acces to.
- pick a nice, clear font
- try to avoid typos
- don't make things too complicated
- if you use colours, don't overdo it (just a personal point of wiev :P)
- try to have a style that differs from the rest

4: Then pick the best you've got! Harharhar.
Well, you could let a friend read them?

Thank you!! I reward you with all of Canada. Mostly because I don't want it.
Runosonta at 2:44PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
Canada = Devin Townsend and Strapping Young Lad. Suits me :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
Dark Clown at 3:12PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(online)
I say…. Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

go for it full steam ahead! All ways shoot for the moon.

This Fluid feels like Pain, This stoic mood is all in vain.
I reach into the dark, I tear this other me apart.
How many years ago, How many deaths I can't let go.
My Flesh Is Temporary, My God Extraordinary.
You… can''t… Kill… My… MIND!!!!!

The War Will continue, Just on a different battle field
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Lord Shplane at 3:27PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
Dark Clown
I say…. Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

go for it full steam ahead! All ways shoot for the moon.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I can only do it once… I'm not that awesome. I mean, I am awesome, but not THAT awesome.
mlai at 4:04PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(online)
Lord Shplane
1: I have no artistic ability whatsoever.
2: I'm not sure that I would be able to update regularly.
3: I don't know much about making comics, such as programs my computer would need and so forth.
4: I have a lot of comic idea's, and not all of them would be that good. I don't want to put complete crap on the internet and expect you guys to read it.
My honest advice:

1. If you want to tell stories but cannot draw, then write the story. There are many sites which host amateur fiction.

2. If you want to learn how to draw and you like drawing, then learn how to draw. Then decide if you want to make an online comic after you learn how to draw.

3. If you don't want to learn how to draw, but you still want to make a comic. Then you can learn how to make sprite comics. It does need its own skill set to make a GOOD sprite comic.

I'm different from other ppl in terms of mindset. I'm not going to tell you "Be creative! Don't be afraid to try new things!" Because the truth is, there are many ppl who don't know what they're doing, but will never get better because they don't try to learn more (about writing and about art), because they get the immediate gratification of uploading poor materials and then think that's good enough.

In the old days, when aspiring kids paper-mailed their drawings of Spiderman to comics editors, they get a wake-up call that tells them what they don't want to hear but needed to hear. Then that gives them the impetus to put in the work to get skilled, IF they were truly dedicated in the 1st place.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Lord Shplane at 5:10PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
Okay, so I read all of the advice you guys have given me, and I said “ Alright, I'll do it, let me go get some paper and start learning to draw!” Then I noticed that I have no paper.

These kinds of things happen all the time.
Eddie Jensen at 5:12PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(online)
okay rule 1. Don't do a sprite comic just dear god don't
whatever you can draw is better in every way possible and just keep at it and you'll improve and with a sprite comic you will always suck ALWAYS.

rule number 2. I'm not sure if there is one as great as the previous one … stick to your language? no manga talk y'know chan kawai all that crap its utterly pointless to have it there… n junk

there aren't really anything else that hasnt been said basically
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Lord Shplane at 5:41PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
Eddie Jensen
whatever you can draw is better in every way possible and just keep at it and you'll improve and with a sprite comic you will always suck ALWAYS.

rule number 2. I'm not sure if there is one as great as the previous one … stick to your language? no manga talk y'know chan kawai all that crap its utterly pointless to have it there… n junk

there aren't really anything else that hasnt been said basically

But.. But I like sprite comics. Bob and George is kawai.

Umm… Konichiwa?
SomaX at 6:23PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
The question is not should you make a comic, because of course you should if you want to improve. You say you draw like crap? Then make a comic! It's quite possibly the greatest way there is to improve. If you look back at the first pages I posted on DD, they suck. If you look at them now, you'll see major improvement(and colour)! In every book about drawing that there ever was, they say “Practice, practice, practice!” Comics are juxtaposed sequential visual art, or a series of side-by-side pictures that tell a story through drawings(and words). So if you draw comics you're practicing all of this: art, story telling, layout, toning or colour or using simple black and white to at life and feeling, ect ect.

The question is not can you make a comic, because anyone can…but not anyone can do it well. This is why sprite comics have such a bad name; because anyone with internet access and a basic knowledge of MSPaint can make one. Thus many people jump the gun and start cutting and pasting sprites, just so they can go up to their friends and say, “Hay doooooood! i has a webbKomik!!!1!1111!!!one!!!!111!!!!eleven!1!!!!” What they fail to mention is that it's a craptacular one featuring plots from the original videogames and sprites with eye burning inverted colours(not all sprite comics suck. Go read American 007 if you don't believe me). The same goes for any old comic about stick figures quoting Simpsons jokes. So you can make a comic but whether you can make a good one…well you tell us.

The question is…will you make a comic? Not just a crap comic like explained above, but a REAL COMIC. One that lets your readers relate to your characters. One that takes them from their computer chairs and brings them to a new world which is only limmited by your imagination. One that…one that…oh you get the point.

So find your story, pick up a how to draw book or two (unless you decide to do sprites, in that case go to Google and get some GOOD sprites.), colour by hand with pencils, markers, or even crayons if you have to, and have faith that you have the abillity to make a comic, and a good one at that, if you decide to put the effort into it.

Now only two questions remain:
1. Will you make a comic?
2. When you rule the world, can I have Japan?
~*~
#253 in Comic Book/Story #344 Overall ~*~ #383 in Comic Book/Story #517 Overall
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
mlai at 6:26PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(online)
Oh the Joy. The world just gave birth to another spriter who's gonna make his characters say chan and kawaii.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Lord Shplane at 6:32PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
I was going to start out with a sort of gamer/random gag/stuff my friends did/ranting about nothing/whatever else comic, then ramp my way up to more serious stuff once I knew what I was doing.

And my sprites will say “Kupo” much more often that “Chan” or “Kawaii”.
Lord Shplane at 6:34PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
SomaX
When you rule the world, can I have Japan?

NO!!! JAPAN IS MINE!!!

But you can have any of the other Asian countries.
SomaX at 6:37PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
China then.
~*~
Lord Shplane at 6:39PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
Cool, I was going to get someone for China anyway. It's big enough to have it's own designated governing person.
SomaX at 6:43PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
And I shall squash the Communists like roaches…Muhahahahahahah!!!!!
~*~
Lord Shplane at 7:03PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
SomaX
The question is not should you make a comic, because of course you should if you want to improve. You say you draw like crap? Then make a comic! It's quite possibly the greatest way there is to improve. If you look back at the first pages I posted on DD, they suck. If you look at them now, you'll see major improvement(and colour)! In every book about drawing that there ever was, they say “Practice, practice, practice!” Comics are juxtaposed sequential visual art, or a series of side-by-side pictures that tell a story through drawings(and words). So if you draw comics you're practicing all of this: art, story telling, layout, toning or colour or using simple black and white to at life and feeling, ect ect.

I should have plenty of time to practice drawing soon. I'll be going on vacation with my family so that means…

1: I'll have time to draw on the car ride to and back from the beach I'm going to.
2: I'll get to draw while they're out doing things that bore/annoy me.
3: I get to see a Liger!!!
spacehamster at 11:06AM, Aug. 10, 2007
(online)
Well… do you want to? That's really all that matters. If you do, start with something simple that you think you can pull off. Don't map out a huge project. Doing comics is way more work and takes longer than anyone who's never done it thinks. If you put too much on your plate, it'll become overwhelming and you'll give up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 4:11PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
1. Artistic ability? Well… first, find a good tutorial (there's plenty in the tutorial thread in tips and tricks). You might say “gah, this is too hard. I give up!”. If you look at most comics, their artwork starts off pretty badly, and they gradually get more and more better. So, don't get ticked off in your first try. This kinda stuff takes time and practice.

2. Updates? It depends how much time you wanna put into it. If you just wanna pencil it out, it's fine (as long as it's not too sloppy). If you want to do some inking and photoshopping, it'll take forever. Trust me. (but it's worth looking at!) Find a style, and set up a pace. (Ex. Okay, Tuesday I wanna rough sketch it. Wednesday, I'll clean it up. Thursday, I'll add some shading… etc. Hey, you can move faster than that if you want. It's all on your schedual.)

3. Programs? I heard about GIMP… It's a free program that you can draw with. I don't have it, but I heard it's not half bad.

4. Ideas? I think that's the hardest part… Well, when storymaking (or joketelling) you can't get too complex. If you do, most readers will say “agh, screw this, I don't get what's going on”. Also, you can't make it too… ordinary. Meaning, make an idea that's original, and evolve from that. Oh… dear GOD, please please PLEASE don't start if off like this: “I'm your avarage girl living in Japan! One day, as I was minding my own business, a -insert noun- struck me, and I was no longer normal!” or this: “I am a warrior! I must go on an epic journey and get a party! This should consist of a Mage, Ranger, Priest, and Thief!” or this: “My name is -insert name- and I am starting to draw this webcomic… I really don't have any ideas, but I decided to draw a first page anyway, cause that's how it's supposed to go. You should check my comic daily.”

So make an idea that isn't too involved. Hell, it can be as simple as you want it to be. As long as you tell the story in a great way. Meaning you need consistancy.

Lots of it.

And about conquering the world? George Bush is probably stupid enough to let you do it.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Lord Shplane at 5:00PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
Okay, just to let you know, I HAVE decided to make a comic. Still, if you want to post suggestions for me on here, it would really be appreciated.

Oh, and it will probably take a while to get the comic up. I'm lazy.
warren at 9:57PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
At least you're going to make one. Hopefully.

The best part about webcomics is it doesn't actually matter if you suck. You can and will get better if you make an effort. You can experiment with different styles and techniques and it won't cost you a damn penny. And all it takes is a little time.

If you decide it ain't your bag, just abandon the idea. 99% of people do, so there's no stigma in that. But if you make it past the first couple months you can be “one of us.”
Warren

On the Duck:
Title -updating! ~30 strips!
PAC -New! >10 strips.

Others:
Spare Change -updating! ~2000 strips!
Mass Production -hiatus. ~300 strips.

This guy does Piss Mario, Stick, and Filler!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
jmt at 10:15PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
um… do it, experiment for a while. what do you have to lose?

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Nonstandard_Assembly/

http://www.jonnyaxx.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
zero rose at 10:35PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
There are a lot of tutorials for online-comics but I would suggest figuring out a story first. My best advice is to try and figure out how the story ends in advance so that you can lead up to that, so there aren't any plot holes. ^_^;
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:57PM
Blackmoon at 6:34AM, Aug. 12, 2007
(online)
Eddie Jensen

I kill you for serious! I used to run a sprite comic. People liked it. It was losers who unreasonably hate sprite comics just because they're not handmade that always spoke negatively of it. I never got why that happened. It's discrimination.

Lord Shplane

Umm… Konichiwa?

…okay, don't do that any more. We seriously have enough people tossing around Japanese. It's overdone. And kawaii has two I's, it's an adjective.

Anyway, go for it. Write out and draw whatever you want- whether or not it's good is really up to the readership, isn't it? I know I've put up some poorly-thought-out things that weren't very good and just abandoned them. I've had tons of ideas of varying quality- Sword of Heaven is the one I've liked the most so far, and I stuck with it. Now, most of my ideas that aren't too radical just turn into subplots for it. Whatever you can do, y'know?
In any case, I added you as a friend. You sound like a young me, a feature I both love and hate at the same time. Keep me notified on the whole webcomic situation, and check out Sword of Heaven, as I can almost guarantee you will love it. You insane little man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Lord Shplane at 8:50AM, Aug. 12, 2007
(offline)
Blackmoon
Lord Shplane

Umm… Konichiwa?

…okay, don't do that any more. We seriously have enough people tossing around Japanese. It's overdone. And kawaii has two I's, it's an adjective.

Okay guys, it was sarcasm. I mean come on, I try to bug one annoying guy by doing the opposite of what he said and you just won't let it go. (though I do like BnG, I got pretty sad when it ended)

Oh, and thanks for the friending. Get back to me about what country you want.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:40PM
Raccoo at 9:56PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
Another possibility is getting an artist to work with you. But I guess that may not be as possible since you're just starting out. Unless maybe you wrote some stories down to get one's attention.

I've seen a few webcomics with pictures of real life people instead of drawings. I'd recommend getting their permission to use their images though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
dark link at 1:27PM, Aug. 16, 2007
(online)
ok. i draw like crap (mostly). i still have a drawn comic up. i took something i thought would be fun to create. so i came up with… badly drawn manga!! if you want to draw a comic, but suck, then i'll be your artist and you can be my writer. sprite comics do NOT suck, i think that if you know what you're doing, they can be quite awesome. a complete guide to sprite comics is HERE.

HTTP://WWW.BLUEGLASSCOMICS.COM/GUIDE.PHP#1
I once tried to smoke lettuce. It rocked!!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
PIT_FACE at 3:57PM, Aug. 19, 2007
(online)
as far as programs your computer needs, this bugs me a lot cuase the general concensus seems to be that this is mandatory to make a good comic, IT ISNT. get that outa your head right now, i want you to listen to this VERY CAREFULY. they can be good to straighten things up and add a little pizaz and what not, but if your art sucks, then all it is is polishing a turd. get your art and your style down pat, become a GOOD ARTIST then and ONLY THEN consider computer programs. i guarantee, you, me, and anyone else on here, if we dont know how to create good basic art and do it well, and plan to put out a good strip depending on photoshop or any of that other shit, IT WILL NOT WORK. it'll look good too people who dont stop and take a good look at it, people who dont care about it that much, but it wont be anything serius. please, PLEASE learn to be a good artist before prissing your stuff up with programs. of corse you'll need a scanner in order to put your stuff up on the net, some are better then others, unfortunatly i'm not someone to talk to about what's good and what's not, hell, i'm on the hunt for one myself. and fixing your stuff a little bit like smudges and stuff on the computer isn't a crime. just learn what your doing before you jump into that world.

as for anything else, just play with your ideas, i know when i started i was anxious about what people would think was sap and what wasnt, it's good to just make things without worrying about what it'll be like when we see it. heh, give us a big fuck you if you have to. some ideas might be better then you think,or you might understand what's wrong with it as you go and do something else with it. you might get realy proud of it and turn it into something bigger and better.
realy, just do this shit.practice and take it where you want it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Lord Shplane at 5:40AM, Aug. 22, 2007
(offline)
Okay guys, just wanted to say that I'm not Technically working on my comic right now. I'm mostly just paying more attention to other peoples art to see what I'm doing wrong and what I'm doing right. Even when I watch anime and such, I'm making sure to pay attention to the art.

Of course, most of you probably don't care. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:40PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved