Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Should I make a comic?
deletedbyrequest03 at 10:40AM, Aug. 22, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Of course, most of you probably don't care. lol!

…I care… :(

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Blackmoon at 12:11PM, Aug. 22, 2007
(online)
As long as you improve.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
dark link at 11:37AM, Aug. 24, 2007
(online)
just to let you know, when people say you shouldn't make sprite comics, listen to me. sprite comics ain't that bad. people say you can just take sprites without any knowledge of comic-making and make a sprite comic. you can't. look at this.

this is a BAD sprite comic. you can tell. things wrong with it -

- what the f*ck is going on in there?
- sprites have been stretched freehand.
- no text boxes.
- sh*tty background.
- saved as jpg.
- written in l33t!! arrgh!!

now look at this.

this is good.

-obviously something has happened.
-we know the characters without even giving them names (guy on left - hero, guy on right - villain)
-good background
-text boxes
-well placed sprites
-saved as png
- good dialogue

take this on board and if you want to make a sprite comic, go for it! there's no reason why you can't do sprite comics and a drawn comic! hope this helps!
I once tried to smoke lettuce. It rocked!!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
TnTComic at 12:26PM, Aug. 24, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Okay, I really want to try making a comic, but I have a few problems.

1: I have no artistic ability whatsoever.
2: I'm not sure that I would be able to update regularly.
3: I don't know much about making comics, such as programs my computer would need and so forth.
4: I have a lot of comic idea's, and not all of them would be that good. I don't want to put complete crap on the internet and expect you guys to read it.

Then the answer is NO.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
dark link at 5:01AM, Aug. 25, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
Then the answer is NO.

at least be a little fucking supportive, you hard-ass!! he can make a comic if he wants! develop your own style of drawing. it doesn't need to be realistic. you could have a comic about a guy with no limbs, neck and stuff, and it can still be good. look at this.

see what i mean about stylised? i still think he looks cool!! (by the way, that was computer-drawn).
I once tried to smoke lettuce. It rocked!!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
mlai at 5:52AM, Aug. 25, 2007
(online)
After reading L.Shplane's quote again, I find myself agreeing with TNTcomic.

He can still draw at home. But if he already knows it's gonna be unmotivated garbage, there's no point letting other ppl smell it.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
TnTComic at 8:25AM, Aug. 25, 2007
(offline)
dark link
TnTComic
Then the answer is NO.

at least be a little fucking supportive, you hard-ass!! he can make a comic if he wants!

Of course he can. It doesn't mean that he should put it out on the internet for everyone to look at.

He said he can't draw, said he can't write, said he can't regularly update, and said he doesn't have the computer skills. After he says all that, how do you expect me to answer the question that is this thread's title?

I've got notebook after notebook full of toons, sketches, doodles, and comics from way back in the day before I decided to do an actual comic. I wouldn't upload those and show them to the world.

Remember, a webcomic is like putting your art on the world's refrigerator and asking what the world thinks. So go ahead, jump out of the starting gate before you're ready. Its no skin off our nose. Just be ready for disappointment.
Lord Shplane at 4:03PM, Aug. 25, 2007
(offline)
Ok guys, I've been looking at some of my ideas, and some of my art, and some of whatever, and comparing it to some other stuff, and really, I'm just being hard on myself. I'm a perfectionist, and have trouble telling the difference between Imperfect and shitty when it comes to my own stuff.

Then I looked at some of my favorite comics, and they isn't really that much better than what I can do.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a sprite comic for a while, just to get used to updating on time and such.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:40PM
mlai at 7:00PM, Aug. 25, 2007
(online)
Shplane
Also, I'm thinking of doing a sprite comic for a while

This conversation is over.

TnTComic at 9:14PM, Aug. 25, 2007
(offline)
yep, you called it, mlai
Lord Shplane at 4:45AM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
mlai
Shplane
Also, I'm thinking of doing a sprite comic for a while

This conversation is over.

Seriously guys, stop doing that. There's nothing wrong with sprite comics if you don't fuck them up.

Also, doing the sprite comic wouldn't keep me from doing the drawn comic. I'd end up doing both, probably with the sprite comic just being a “Whoo!! Imma have fun with this one!!” and the drawn comic being more serious.
Lord Shplane at 5:22AM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
(It's my thread, I can double post if I want.)

Just thought I should tell you why I want to make a comic. Really, I should have done it when I made the thread.

1: I've been reading webcomics for several years now, and I really like them.

2: I'm bored. I need something to do.

3: This is something that I might be able to get interested enough in to actually do it, and not just procrastinate constantly. (though even the best webcomicer procrastinates sometimes) I need something like that, because I really just can't seem to make myself care about anything. Hopefully this will be something that I won't get bored with.

4: I can. Drunk Duck offers free hosting, and I really like the idea of doing something, anything on the internet. (except for myspace. I fucking hate myspace) Really just to say “Hey internet peoples, looks what I can do!”

5: It would probably be fun! It looks fun. I can't really think of any reason why it wouldn't be.
TnTComic at 5:26AM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Seriously guys, stop doing that. They're nothing wrong with sprite comics if you don't fuck them up.

I'm gonna save you alot of time and aggravation. Don't do a goddamn sprite comic.
Blackmoon at 11:43AM, Aug. 26, 2007
(online)
Hey, TnT, piss off. You're being a douchetard.

Sprite comics are just fine. I had a lot of damn good jokes in mine. So what if I didn't draw any of it? That was back when I couldn't draw to save my life. Which would you've preferred? Me drawing something that sucks to have the same jokes that rock, or using sprite art to convey it in a relatively attractive medium?

An example from my comic I used many a year ago…
"Ah, DrunkDuck! An excellent purveyor of fine, quality webcomics. Hm… Legacy of Kain: Laugh Reaver ? What's this all about?
*click*
The–… there is no emoticon for what I am feeling! Such an intense dislike I bear this comic for its use of sprites, regardless of the quality of the product! I know! I shall leave the author a scathing comment, and thereby wear down his ego! Bwaha!
'Blackmoon: You suck. Learn to draw or get off the web.' Mwahaha, that'll show HIM alright!
*killed via shuriken in the brain*“
”Asshole. You ain't commenting on SHIT now, are you? ARE YOU!?"

…my sense of humor hasn't changed much.

EDIT:
After some thought, I came up with some pros and cons of the two major schools of comic philosophy, hand and sprite.
SPRITE COMICS:
Pro: Very easy to learn and do.
Con: People become prejudiced against you.
Pro: As in any endeavor, there is room for improvement- in methods of using sprites, writing quality, graphics and special effects, etc.
Con: It's somewhat limited by the sprites you have.
Pro: Doesn't take long- avoids that problem with many hand-drawn comics where it takes 3 hours to make a page that can be read in 5 minutes.
Con: Sometimes, you just don't have any ideas.

HAND-DRAWN COMICS:
Pro: After practice, you can create your own style that captures the eye.
Con: Can take years to learn, and many times more to master.
Pro: You can draw nearly anything you want with enough skill.
Con: You can imagine what you want to draw better than you can draw it, many times- I have that problem.
Pro: Can be very gratifying if you're proud of your work.
Con: Reviews about the art are often merciless. Nothing worse than someone not knowing what you just drew.
Pro: You can create a character who looks like whatever you want, no sprite limitations- you can create every aspect of them.
Con: As stated above, can take upwards of three hours of work to create something that'll be over in a few minutes.

In short, sprite comics can be a very fulfilling way to convey an idea. The amount of time you spend on a comic is largely proportional to the time people spend reading it, unless you tend to put in a lot of special effects, like I did. It's also economical- no need for new pencils, pens, paper, scanner, software, any of that. You can make a sprite comic with Paint (really, it works better than high-end software for that) and the interweb. It's that easy. You just tend to attract a ridiculous amount of scorn.
Drawing comics, on the other hand, is very hit-or-miss; you can either bolster your ego or destroy it with your work. You have to have all the proper materials on hand, or you're worthless. You stand the potential of becoming wildly popular, or sinking into obscurity forever. The biggest real benefit is that you can portray whatever your mind desires.
Why there's so much hate for sprite comics, I'll never understand.
TnTComic at 12:21PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
Blackmoon
Hey, TnT, piss off. You're being a douchetard.

Sprite comics are just fine. I had a lot of damn good jokes in mine—-

Aaaaaaaaaand that's where you lost me.

Blackmoon
Why there's so much hate for sprite comics, I'll never understand.

BECAUSE ITS NOT ART

Lord Shplane at 12:55PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
Honestly, if TnT doesn't stop fagging up my thread (and I can use that outside the TD, this is my thread, I can do what I want with it) I'm going to get the mods to start deleting his posts.

Also, nice post Blackmoon. Are you actually a woman, or is that just what your avatar looks like? I'd like to start hitting on you.
mlai at 4:06PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(online)
Well, for many ppl, both authors and readers, comics are not about the art. It's about whatever they want it to be about.

So, if they have no pretensions whatsoever of becoming an artist, or improving artistic skills, or creating anything… if all they want to do is play cut-paste and coloring-book with characters drawn by other ppl, and use that to share jokes with like-minded children online… then that's what they'll do.

It's sort of like an interactive game activity in that sense. You know those little magnetic Sesame Street characters and a metal board with a picture of a town? That's the equivalent of what these children play with, with the bonus of being able to share their play sessions with each other.

Blackmoon at 4:07PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(online)
Haha, no, I'm a dude. My avatar just looks a little girly cuz it's a little zoomed-in-upon. Flattering, though.

Anyway, TnT- I don't have a problem with you, personally. But sprite comics not being art? Alright, one, how is it not art, and two, wtf does that matter? Webcomics are a form of expression, no matter what method they may use to do it. If it's entertaining, it shouldn't MATTER how it's done. What you're saying is like saying that the Impressionist movement in art is art, but the Cubist movement isn't just because you don't like it. It's a means to the same goddamned end, but it's taking a different way there. You're just being an uppity fuck by splitting hairs like that.
I've seen webcomics that have hand-drawn art, webcomics that use photography, webcomics that use computerized vector art, webcomics that use sprites, webcomics that use original pixelated art, and each of those is an equally valid form of expression. Who are you to say one isn't art, and another is? The King of All Entertainment Media?

…kinda got off on a rant there. Sorry. Anyway, I think my point still stands.
mlai at 4:11PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(online)
That's simple Blackmoon. It's not art in the sense that the sprite author did not create/draw a single character.

Now, I don't mind fan art. If you draw Sonic, hey you drew him. But in sprite comics, some employee at Sega drew him. The author is just copy/pasting.

If a sprite comic uses original sprites, then it's art. That's why ComicGenesis bans all sprite comics unless it's original sprites.

TnTComic at 5:38PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Honestly, if TnT doesn't stop fagging up my thread (and I can use that outside the TD, this is my thread, I can do what I want with it) I'm going to get the mods to start deleting his posts.

First, its not YOUR thread, its OUR thread.

Second, if you want people to blow sunshine up your ass all day you're never going to get anywhere.

Third, you said you can't draw, can't update regularly, don't have the computer know-how, and aren't much of a writer. YOU SAID THAT. So how the hell do you want me to answer your question? You want me to lie? Fine. Yes! Make a comic! You'll be great!

mlai
That's simple Blackmoon. It's not art in the sense that the sprite author did not create/draw a single character.

Now, I don't mind fan art. If you draw Sonic, hey you drew him. But in sprite comics, some employee at Sega drew him. The author is just copy/pasting.

If a sprite comic uses original sprites, then it's art. That's why ComicGenesis bans all sprite comics unless it's original sprites.

Exactly. Hey, look at this:

http://www.hockeyzombie.com/comic/2007/07/17/

Oh my god! I did a sprite comic! But the difference is I opened up photoshop and drew my own damn shit. Its not hard, you know. There's quite a few comics out there made by people drawing their own sprites, and that's just fine and dandy. Diesel Sweeties is probably the best known.

Look, there's plenty of “comics” out there, as was mentioned before, that are not tradition. Comics that use Gary's Mod, sprite comics, photo comics like Alien Loves Predator, et cetera. They're fine, in that they are vehicles for jokes. But they're not comics, artistically speaking. Hell, XKCD and OOTS don't even try to make decent art, instead employing stick figures… but at least they're making art.

Blackmoon
Anyway, TnT- I don't have a problem with you, personally. But sprite comics not being art? Alright, one, how is it not art, and two, wtf does that matter? Webcomics are a form of expression, no matter what method they may use to do it. If it's entertaining, it shouldn't MATTER how it's done. What you're saying is like saying that the Impressionist movement in art is art, but the Cubist movement isn't just because you don't like it. It's a means to the same goddamned end, but it's taking a different way there. You're just being an uppity fuck by splitting hairs like that.
I've seen webcomics that have hand-drawn art, webcomics that use photography, webcomics that use computerized vector art, webcomics that use sprites, webcomics that use original pixelated art, and each of those is an equally valid form of expression. Who are you to say one isn't art, and another is? The King of All Entertainment Media?

An uppity fuck? I'm uppity because I don't like sprite comics? Let me tell you something, Blackmoon, and pay attention: its just my opinion. If you want to think my opinion makes me uppity, that's certainly your prerogative. But it makes as much sense as calling me snooty because I don't like onions.

The Cubist movement, the Impressionist movement, Surrealists, yadda yadda… all have something in common. The artist created original art. Sprite comics have as much in common with traditional comics as photography has to oil painting. Yes, they're both art. Much the same way that smearing cow excrement on a statue of the Virgin Mary is art. Anything can be called art.

Lord Shplane at 5:58PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Lol, I'm gay.

Yes, we know you are.

This isn't a Flame Wars About Sprite Comics thread. Stop it. Now.

Also, read the rest of my posts, and you'll see that I realized that I was just being hard on myself. I have issues. Lots of them. I have trouble accepting what I do as being good.
TnTComic at 6:07PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
If you don't want a flame war, stop fucking insulting me.

Jesus.

You know, if you want some help, you can get it right here. Why not post some of your art and we can see what we're talking about? At the very least we can get you on the right track as far as fixing #3 on your list.
Lord Shplane at 6:15PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
Really? I'm doing fine on my own improving on my art.

And I'm insulting you because of your irrational hatred of sprite comics. It's annoying me. When someone annoys me, I insult them. Because I'm a dick. I admit it. If you don't want me to insult you, don't say stupid things.

Stop derailing the thread. This is not the Sprite Comics or Not Sprite Comics thread. If you want one of those, go to the Debate and Discussion and make one.

Any mods out there? Yah, please start deleting stuff that seems like flame wars in this thread. Thanks.
mlai at 8:05PM, Aug. 26, 2007
(online)
Well this is the thing Shplane. Since you say you're thinking about starting a sprite comic, we're trying to nip your downfall in the bud.

Do you or do you not admit that unless you draw your own sprites, your sprite comic is basically an endeavor in cut/paste using someone else's artwork?

It's like you taking Sin City (the graphic novel), remove all of Frank Miller's text, and then write your own text on every page, then say "LOL look everyone this is my comic!“ See, you wouldn't be saying ”Look this is my parody of the Sin City script!“ You would be saying ”This is my comic!“ The same way you would be saying ”This is my sprite comic, The Megasonic X Chronicles!“ But is it ”your comic“?

It's not your comic. It's artwork drawn by Sega and Capcom, period. That's why I said that it's more like a game activity, with recorded play sessions that you can share with people online.

But if you don't really care about ”making a comic,“ but rather just want a visual template to host jokes and blogs, then do sprites. But, you asked ”Should I make a comic?"

TnTComic at 5:10AM, Aug. 27, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Stop derailing the thread. This is not the Sprite Comics or Not Sprite Comics thread. If you want one of those, go to the Debate and Discussion and make one.

Any mods out there? Yah, please start deleting stuff that seems like flame wars in this thread. Thanks.

So what's it about then?
Blackmoon at 11:24AM, Aug. 27, 2007
(online)
mlai
But if you don't really care about “making a comic,” but rather just want a visual template to host jokes and blogs, then do sprites. But, you asked “Should I make a comic?”

But, you see, he's already decided he SHOULD make a comic. I believe he stated before that he intends to, in your words, “make a comic”, but is going to use sprite comics as a vessel to get into the feel of updating and how the whole thing works.
subcultured at 12:18PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(online)
stop the flames and sprite bashing
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Lord Shplane at 12:46PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(offline)
mlai
But, you asked “Should I make a comic?”

Mlai, you do make a valid point, as to what this thread is about. It is me asking if I should make a comic. I've already decided that. So, maybe I should make a different thread to be more like “Here's what I plan on doing, since so many of you seem to be supportive and actually care. Any suggestions? Any tips on this?”

Who thinks that making a new thread would be a good idea?

Also, how much of a buffer do you think I should probably build up before I start posting? I know I don't want to just make one comic and post it, because I would almost certainly fuck that up. I'd like to have some degree of breathing room, and be able to say “I don't have to make a comic tonight, I have a buffer for the next two months.” And just be able to make comics when I want to.

Edit: Hmm.. just thought I should say something about the sprites I would use. I probably would use sprites that I've EDITED the living crap out of, to the point that they really are almost completely mine. Mostly just because it's easier to do if you start with a base. (Yes, I have tried both before. I have started making a comic before, but my computer died before I could really do more than get a rough idea for what it was about, and edit a few sprites.)
nerdsareinvading at 2:04PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(offline)
Well, I'm sure you have absolutely no interest in what I have to say, but I'll say it anyways…

First of all, I think you should at least try to draw a main character not in stick figure, at least not entirely…, and I'd try and find a friends drawing style that you really like, and try tracing it… and if all else fails, ask a friend to draw for you, and you provide them with the story/ humor material…

and I'm sure you have particularly no interest in this, but I'd be happy to draw it for you…

edit: Unless of course your doing a sprite and i didnt read the whole thread and i just said something completely random, then just ignore what i said…

compassion???
bling bling bling, now with 50% more bling…
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!

music is like candy… throw away the rappers

smiley agrees,right? lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:11PM
TnTComic at 2:34PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Also, how much of a buffer do you think I should probably build up before I start posting? I know I don't want to just make one comic and post it, because I would almost certainly fuck that up. I'd like to have some degree of breathing room, and be able to say “I don't have to make a comic tonight, I have a buffer for the next two months.” And just be able to make comics when I want to.

Some folks will tell you to get a handful before you start, but i've never really believed that. Go ahead and get ‘em out there, and upload new ones as you get ’em.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved