Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Should I make a comic?
Jeegoo at 5:52AM, Aug. 28, 2007
(online)
Lord Shplane
Okay, I really want to try making a comic, but I have a few problems.

1: I have no artistic ability whatsoever.
2: I'm not sure that I would be able to update regularly.
3: I don't know much about making comics, such as programs my computer would need and so forth.
4: I have a lot of comic idea's, and not all of them would be that good. I don't want to put complete crap on the internet and expect you guys to read it.

Anything else you guys might say to help me would be nice.

If you're helpful enough I'll let you rule a small portion of the world after I conquer it.

1. You don't need artistic ability, just enthusiasm. :3

2. Hey, that's the great thing about the web! You can pace yourself.

3. We all gotta start somewhere, there are some great sites around that offer you really good advice, just look around!

4. Sounds like you've got a lot of enthusiasm, which is the most important thing! It doesn't matter if its good or bad, these things will evolve over time and with experience. Its not like you can force people to read your stuff.

Now, it sounds like you're thinking about doing a typical kind of comic (eg; multiple panels per page, speech/thought bubbles)

You don't have to do that. I've seen great comics that update one panel at a time, with a paragraph of story to go with it! Check out Hopscotch which uses this format. Its a great comic with a great story and its popular! Not all stories will work in this format, but it sounds like you've got a lot of ideas. This would be a great way for you to improve both your artistic abilities and your writing skills at the same time, and they can be put to good use later if you want to tackle something bigger.

But the best advice I can give you is practise Practise PRACTISE! Every week I look back through my sketchbook and marvel at how CRAPPY everything seems in comparison to how my art appears now! 99% of my stuff never sees the light of day, but you shouldn't be afraid to share it with the world and ask for constructive criticism so that you can improve. Reading other comics and checking out other peoples' art is great too (hey! any excuse to read comics all day, right?)

And hey - if you want to try a sprite comic, that's fine too! :D I started out writing terrible fanfiction, its what drove me towards developing my own art and stories. ^_~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Blackmoon at 11:15AM, Aug. 28, 2007
(online)
My girlfriend constantly tells me to just draw, draw, draw to build up a good buffer of comics. Lemme tell you… I cannot do that.
I was consistently about a week ahead since I got back from Japan, but sometimes I'm lazy and need to take a break, and therefore do not do anything. The best I ever do is set up an update schedule, and then try and get work done before it's due.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Lord Shplane at 5:39PM, Aug. 30, 2007
(offline)
Hey guys. Just wanted to say that any comicy-type stuff I might do will be postponed for a while. School started back a few days ago, my internet keeps dying, and I really don't want to start out during those kinds of conditions. Not to mention that the classes I have are Chemistry, Anatomy, and Honors History. Not that the subject matter is really difficult, it's just that they give us more work than necessary. In fact, I have to do some homework, and will therefore be getting off very soon. Or maybe whenever I get bored of forum games.

I do have Art right now though, so when we get done with the stupid crap we do at the beggining of the year, they might teach me a little bit about drawing. My hopes aren't too high though. The school system has a horrible habit of letting me down.

But, when the school year is far enough through that I'm used to it, I'll get back on with what I was doing. And I was doing something. Not much of something, but something.
Also, I'll probably make a new thread for it.

I'll still be responding to posts here, and I'll still consider everyone's advice, but I won't be putting it to practical use just yet. Not for a week or so.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:40PM
Hijuda at 7:42PM, Aug. 30, 2007
(offline)
Didn't we have a thread just like this, a few months ago? I remember that the thread starter was a twelve year old girl who jumped at any sort of mild adult content (looking back, it would have been fun to link her to Goatse…). Unfortunately, Crun wasn't there to make the thread instantly funny.

She did wind up starting the comic, although the last time I checked, it went on hiatus with only five pages, and now I can't even find it.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Lord Shplane at 12:28PM, Aug. 31, 2007
(offline)
Hijuda
Didn't we have a thread just like this, a few months ago? I remember that the thread starter was a twelve year old girl who jumped at any sort of mild adult content (looking back, it would have been fun to link her to Goatse…). Unfortunately, Crun wasn't there to make the thread instantly funny.

She did wind up starting the comic, although the last time I checked, it went on hiatus with only five pages, and now I can't even find it.

When I do actually start the comic, I intend to continue with it until I die.

Of course, I never reach my actual goals, but when I aim that high I should at least make it for a year or so.

Also, Goatse? Does it contain nudity?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:40PM
Warspritecomic at 12:42PM, Aug. 31, 2007
(online)
Well, I'd guess that. I don't look at many adult comics but I'm guessing that is one of the more… hmmm… uncensored comics.

Anyway what I feel is that do whatever feels natural. My art is absoloute but I still do one. Why? I enjoy it. It's probably the best thing that I do with the evening.

And all the sprite comic haters, stop trying to stop people doing sprite comic. I know all of the Megaman and Pokemon comics are annoying but just ignore them. There are hundreds of actual good ones. I say start a sprite comic. It helps you find what style of comic making you like and it's good practice for writing and structure of your comic, since it's hard to show the mood and things of the characters well.
FIGHTSPLOSION 5!!! IT HAS 2 ALIENS, A PIRATE, A HORNY NINJA AND A HOMOCIDAL FIRE PRODUCING PENGUIN! AND A BIRD WOMAN AND A CAT WOMAN!

Also a mute that reminds me of Johnny Bravo and Samuel L Jackson at the same time!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Hijuda at 7:21PM, Aug. 31, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Also, Goatse? Does it contain nudity?

Hahhah. Google it.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
dark link at 7:42AM, Sept. 2, 2007
(online)
Hijuda

yeah, she needed ideas for a sprite comic, she gave a big list of her characters and they were all recolours. she wouldn't even say the word crap in her posts, she said poop instead.XD
I once tried to smoke lettuce. It rocked!!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved