Media Megaforum

Show Me the Horror Films!!
SarahN at 6:29PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
Whatever happened to SCARY movies? I mean SCARY, scary. I have watched horror movie after horror movie nowadays, and it seems almost hopeless to me. I haven't seen one in ten years.

Tense? That's easy.
Creepy? Sure, though even this has been limited nowadays…
Gorey? NO problem.

…but scary? Like “pop from your seat, ‘oh my god this is so freaky, I don’t know if I can take this'” scary. Psh.

I'm starting to wonder if anymore scary films exist….
NAME SOME HORROR FILMS! I don't care what language it is in (as long as I can buy/rent it subtitled somewhere if it is in a different language), I don't care what year it was made, or whether it is a B-movie or not…I just want something scary!

Also, don't just go naming classic horror films like Evil Dead, The Exorcist, ect…or very obvious recent ones. I'll probably know about them already. If you're not sure though, give it a shot.

By the way…CGI monsters are not scary.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
subcultured at 6:33PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
maybe you've grown up and know a lot of what goes into movies…i'm like that. that's prolly why a lot of movies with superficiality doesn't excite me much.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Rich at 6:56PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
The remake of ‘The Hills Have Eyes’ is pretty good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
KomradeDave at 8:01PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
The Incubus starring William Shatner, it's good classic horror.
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
Terminal at 8:17PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
I'm tired of seeing all this hack, slash and dash, killfest movies. Where it's more of how bloody can we be, than how much horror we can provide. I miss psychological horror movies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
ozoneocean at 3:23AM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
Dario Argento's Proffundo Rosso is meant to be a classic. It's got just enough artiness to be stylish too.

I don't really like horror movies… But it sounds like you're after “Thiller” more than horror. Or maybe “Horror Thriller”?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Tantz Aerine at 5:29AM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
Unfortunately, the only film that came nearly close to scaring me lately was The Others, which I thought was a brilliant play of shadow and light and manipulation of primal fears…

…but you must have seen that already. Hack, slash, splatter on the wall movies just don't make the cut for me. They usually tend not to have any plot going whatsoever- nor are they scary. Just… tending towards disgust or something.

So, yeah. I can't think of anything but The Others and Poltergeist, but only the first one. I was rather young when I saw it, but it still kept me from sleeping with closets ajar for months. XP

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
ccs1989 at 3:39PM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
I think we're so jaded that it would be hard to Hitchcock to freak us out anymore. Although I'm not one to speak since horror films scare the crap out of me and, consequently, I don't see them.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Obsidian at 8:48AM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
I thought The Descent was pretty frightening, especially since you could not figure out if there really were monsters, or if there really was a cave.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
kaminari at 12:45PM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
Im the same way. I cant find horror films the least bit scary. I watched a ton of horror films when I was young because they interested me and my best friend.. We even went out of our way to see those stupid Faces of Death films we were “too young” to see.

It seems like nowadays they have the same lame formula where a group of young people get together and get killed one by one by some mysterious force and/or serial killer. These movies even have similar dvd covers if you look at them.

Also, I love traditional werewolves (not furry wolves, those are sooo not the same), but Ive only seen one werewolf movie that I liked and that was the original Howling. Now when you see a movie with a werewolf its some awful CG monster for the main character to kill. (and they dont have tails anymore !! grrrr.)

and the Incubus starring William Shatner?
I really hope he's not the incubus in that movie >.>

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
subcultured at 2:34PM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
im with you on the werewolf…im a big fan of them, but most of the time werewolves are the bad guys and vampires are eurotrash chic`. we need a good werewolf movie. ginger snaps was kinda cool though
J
Rich at 9:25PM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
Yeah, werewolves are underused to hell and back. You know it's sad when the best werewolf related movie in the past ten years is an action flick with werewolves and vampires killing each other. I'd love to see werewolves make a comeback.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
kaminari at 9:13AM, Nov. 30, 2006
(online)
subcultured
ginger snaps was kinda cool though

I didnt really like that movie. Its another one of those where you dont actually see a werewolf until the last 10 or 15 minutes and even then it was pretty ugly and dissapointing (but it wasnt CG so that was a plus). And Ginger Snaps Back was even worse. I couldnt watch the whole thing because it was so damn boring.
And I didnt like Underworld either because it seemed too much like a super cheezy comic book with matrix (and Im like the only person in the world who didnt like the Matrix) trendy style, all too typical couple pair-ups and CG beasts crippled by bad acting and a lame script.

(man, what do I like?)

But I did forget about American Werewolf in London.. That was a good werewolf movie *nod*, but not the Paris one…
Silver Bullet wasnt that bad either, but I think Im partial to it because my mom had a version of the book that had illustrations and I loved them.

I think on DD, there are only two good comics specifically about werewolves. One is The Krae, but the author is gone so it hasnt updated in a while and the other is The Saga of Rend which isnt a real traditional werewolf story, but still pretty good though the wolf hasnt really shown up yet.

KomradeDave at 12:16PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
kaminari
and the Incubus starring William Shatner?
I really hope he's not the incubus in that movie >.>

Thank god he is NOT. I don't think I'd still be around if I had seen that movie. He played a soldier that a succubus was trying to seduce; she calls on her leader, the incubus, to kill the Shat when she can't complete her mission. It's all in poorly pronounced Esperanto which makes it even eerier to watch.
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
Tantz Aerine at 3:06PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
Rich, did you mean ‘Underworld’, the movie with werewolves and vampires killing off each other?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
suzi at 4:01PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
Kind of off topic, but my boyfriend and I once took a long drive out this main highway until it turned into a super-creepy one lane gravel road called “Mt. Nebo Drive”, and despite our mutual desensitization to horror/thriller/slasher movies, we were terrified someone/thing would jump out of the woods and attack us. Of course, we didn't say so until we turned around and crossed back over the creepy, rickety, one lane bridge. All within 15 or 20 miles of Washington, DC!

…Yeeeaah I dunno, I guess I could find some kind of moral about desensitization in there. But I don't feel like looking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Crazy Dutchman at 3:31AM, Dec. 2, 2006
(offline)
Ginger Snapes ruled! Not super scary, but amusing and still kind of exciting.
kaminari
Silver Bullet wasnt that bad either, but I think Im partial to it because my mom had a version of the book that had illustrations and I loved them.
Silver Bullet was amusing yes, but it just wasn't scary and looked REAL cheesy. You're totally right on The Howling tough. Probably one of the scariest scenes ever (transmutation), and that without using CGI! Joe Dante is great…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
subcultured at 11:56AM, Dec. 2, 2006
(online)
here's a korean one coming out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNbZE8NX0nk
J
subcultured at 11:57AM, Dec. 2, 2006
(online)
i find some japanese horror films such as “the eye” are more scarier because they do some great environmental effects
J
MrColinP at 12:09AM, Dec. 3, 2006
(offline)
I thought that the first half of The Eye was great and really scary, but the second half (when they started getting into the story) was boring. I like a Japanese one called Infection. Also, I believe The Eye was not Japanese. I believe the original language is Cantonese… not that I could tell you what that means.
A great British movie called The Descent (monsters in a cave-no CGI!) was out this summer, and the director had previously done a great movie called Dog Soldiers (Irish military werewolf movie). They are both excellent.

The thing with horror movies is that you have to have a pretty big suspension of disbelief to really be affected by them. And no one has a suspension of disbelief when they are watching a movie with their friends. You need to be ALONE, and it needs to be dark. And if you're one of those people that says “That couldn't happen” or “That looks so fake” then you are beyond help.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Beaums at 1:22AM, Dec. 3, 2006
(offline)
Rich
The remake of ‘The Hills Have Eyes’ is pretty good.

Yeah, I've seen that. Wes Craven managed to serve up another steaming dish of blood and any other form of gore possible. I wouldn't call it SCARY scary, but it doesn't disappoint for those willing to be utterly disturbed and disgusted. There's some pretty sick and twisted stuff in it, but I'm sure it's pretty minor when compared to the other stuff that's floating around out there. Oh, and if you like incredibly stupid horror movie victims, The Hills Have Eyes is for you.

As for my recommendations… I don't know… the Saw series? Again, not exactly scary, but it IS hella clever. There's not many movies out there these days that'll really give you nightmares. Back then, most of the horror movies had never-before-seen stuff in them, so people could be scared easier. These days, everything's been done and all these horror movie “twists” are predictable. Of course, there is the ocassional exception.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
subcultured at 6:02AM, Dec. 3, 2006
(online)
MrColinP
I thought that the first half of The Eye was great and really scary, but the second half (when they started getting into the story) was boring. I like a Japanese one called Infection. Also, I believe The Eye was not Japanese. I believe the original language is Cantonese..

you're right, it's been a while since i saw it…the ending of the eye was kinda stupid. But i liked the way those ghost haunted her. the elvator one was crazy.

i would say find movies by Takashi Miike such as
“Masters of Horror: Imprint” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OyR5xyLuuw
“ichi the killer” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIl0yJdDBDk

or “battle royale” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-T7yPJVvXw

asian films seems to push more than hollywood films

J
MrColinP at 10:01AM, Dec. 3, 2006
(offline)
I still don't think I've recovered from my initial viewing of Ichi the Killer… two years ago. Not because it's scary, but… just… weird.
kaminari at 12:09PM, Dec. 3, 2006
(online)
MrColinP
I still don't think I've recovered from my initial viewing of Ichi the Killer… two years ago. Not because it's scary, but… just… weird.

Heh, I loved that movie(but the prequel movie “Ichi” was like a pathetic joke), and I love Takashi Miike films (even the childrens movie he made called Yokai War). One that I recommend though is Visitor Q.. Thats probably the single most disturbing film Ive ever seen, but its not a horror film. Its about a *VERY* dysfunctional family and its soooo awful that you can't help but watch.

As far as Japanese horror, I just wanted to mention that I enjoyed the fact that in many Japanese horror films things like relationships and comic relief characters dont really exist.

Take the Ring for example.
The ex-husband in the Japanese version was a serious character and the one with the visions. Therefore he was a vital character and in the end, there isnt this crap about how much he loves her and they want to get back together. That part is nonexistant. In the American version, they empower the main female character with the visions and make the exhusband this goofy, useless secondary character who still loves her.

MrColinP at 2:49PM, Dec. 3, 2006
(offline)
One of the things I find most interesting about American Vs. Japanese horror was an idea stated by the guy who directed both the American and original Japanese versions of… uh… not The Ring… The Grudge! Yeah.
In interview he said that he was very frustrated in that when redesigning his movie for an American audience, he was pressured to explain everything. Japanese audiences don't mind if they don't understand what's going on (which is closer to what happens in real life and is therefore more identifiable to the viewer, if you ask me). I also experienced this when I worked in a video store, and everyone was complaining about the fact that The Grudge (American) didn't make sense. Was it scary and entertaining? Did you like it? These are the things that should matter in horror movies. Because let me tell you, if a real ghost started messing with you, it probably wouldn't take the time to let you know what it was doing. And that's way scarier (if you can get over yourself for the length one one movie and just enjoy it!)
On the other side of the coin, because they are so similar in style and have little to no plot, I get all Japanese/Asian horror movies mixed up in my head. I can barely tell them apart.

Also, having a “debate” comparing Japanese horror and American horror presupposes that there even IS American horror… which there isn't really.
subcultured at 2:54PM, Dec. 3, 2006
(online)
well sometimes those films end up random after a while if nothing is explain…so i see where the american studios are coming from.
J

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved