Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Sick of this garbage.
Amazo3xt at 8:56PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
I can get the basic premise of the site. Free hosting for webcomics simple.
But it just seems that there's no creativity here. Like the few books that are actually worth a damn reading are pushed down by the unmatchable number of sprite comics and boy love garbage. (i'm lookin at you charby the vampirate)

But i can even respect charby's dedication atleast. Atleast the guy puts in the work, he draws his stuff he colors it. And for the most part it's loli garbage,but he's devoted to his loli garbage.

The top 10 is broken as well.

Its to a point where sheer volume of pages rules over everything. Oh i have 800 pages so i'll always be on the front because people will always see that and click it.it's a almost constant stream of readers for those top 10 comics.Then the this just in section isn't big enough. it holds 10 books sames as the top 10,but they're off the page in seconds, and for what? more sprite comics.

i wouldn't even be bothered by it if people were going obscure to get their sprites,but they don't. its ALL pokemon sprite comics.

i've been a reader of webcomics for quite some time, and i remember only 1 ever made me laugh. Bob and George. And whether you know it or not, all of you jack holes have been trying to recreate that magic. and you all fail at it.

I heard about this site through a friend, who loves webcomics,and i think its a great medium.but it will never get any better if this is all we have to look forward to. is people who trivialize it,by throwing up their terrible pokemon sprite comics.

i read one book on here master chief meets sonic,and all i thought was wtf this isn't funny or even coherent. his flow was all off. terrible.

So i say you real creators the guys who put their all into their books,and love their fans.Refuse to click this trash. stop giving the pokemon sprite comics and boy love trash, clicks. even if you're not a creator and you just come here to read just don't read that trash,there's a world of better books on here for you to read help elevate them to the top.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
HippieVan at 9:10PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
This doesn't really fix all the problems you have with this site, but you can actually filter the stuff you get on the front page. Mine is set so that it doesn't show sprite comics at all.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ozoneocean at 9:11PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
lol!

Firstly, you're dead wrong about Charby.-

It's NOT Loli. It's nothing at all to to with any Japanese style what so ever. The fact that you think it is reflects your own lack of experience with comics and art in general, not the limits of the comic ;)

It might seem that way on first glance to someone inexperienced about comics and art in general, but it's actually based on older style mainstream American animation styles from the 20's and 30's. And that theme follows through on a lot of the story styles as well: comic grotesque with a heavy dose of gothic.
That's all there is to say on the style.

As for its position, that's nothing to do with the page count.
Charby has always been our most popular comic, pretty much constantly since 2004. It gets a lot of readers from outside of DD that never ever bother to come through the front page. Most readers of Charby wouldn't have any idea what other comics are in the top ten or even if Charby is and they couldn't care less because they only come for that comic or they've come to Charby because of links elsewhere on the net.
——————————————————————-

As for sprite comics, there are none in the top ten except maybe Cru. I doubt there's any in the top 100 and even if there are they're way outnumbered anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Amazo3xt at 9:31PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
i said i respect charby's ethic.

i've been reading comics since i was 8 yrs old. i know alot about the medium and the things that work. i'm very experienced with art. i can even understand the appeal of charby to girls,or people who've stumbled onto a gem.i guess it was a knock because its not my

i was that way with sokora refugees and van von hunter. i read them when they were webcomics.i was around for the first boom of real good webcomics. i was addicted. but to see the shear volume of dreck that pops up here is heartbreaking. i know people who want to use webcomics as a medium, people who see the future and power of the internet and they're here and they're knocked off the front page INSTANTLY, after posting by sprite comics and trash of the like.

i mean why would u WANT to make the same crap over and over. they're just terrible and i want to see the good books rise to the top i think its time for a change.

and charby looks very CHIBI not loli.
Ozoneocean at 9:41PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
I think you're looking in the other two lists: most recently updated and the radom comics. There's sprites among them but other stuff too.
We don't discriminate against all the hopeful young kids with no artistic ability but like to create through the medium of sprites. If that's what they want to do that's their business. You're free to join in with the massive amount of original hand drawn comics if you wish though. There are a hell of a lot of us here ;)

There's also the feature section at the top of the page that has a nice list of our latest recommended comics here. No sprites there either.

A lot of us were around at the start of webcomics. There has always been both shit and gold. Most of the big popular names now started as shit but became gold just because they've been around so long.
Amazo3xt
and charby looks very CHIBI not loli.
Yeah, it might look that way, but it's not. :)
Amy's main influence is Chuck Jones.
Niccea at 9:50PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
And as Hippie Van said. Filtering is your friend. I had it set once so that my comic was all over the front page. It is a good ego trip when you are number one. (Course it took a lot of filtering.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
Skullbie at 9:57PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
You type/have off-kilter grammar like that stupid warham4000 troll from a while back.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Amazo3xt at 10:06PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
that's the problem with this country,people who can't compete are competing (man i sound weird and old)

plenty of kids around the country play baseball and they don't keep score. no one tells them they stink,no one pushes them to get better. i have no problem with the kids who post their hand drawn stuff and they're hoping to get good and get a base i was in that boat too. but when some guy posts what he thinks is a cool comic that consists of nothing but squiggles and poorly timed jokes it sucks.because for every good well thought out comic there's 80 ones that stink that are of the same nature.

penny arcade looked like trash when it first started,but it was always funny. and it was original.even the geek culture books here are just carbon copies.

i passed by a comic the other day about ken and ryu in college trying to find dates.wtf. that's not even a funny premise.

and to be featured it has all to do with politics,and nothing to do with skill. ( if i'm correct) don't you have to interview people and do reviews? its homework,and at that point its not fun.

the features should be more of a hey look what i found i think you guys will like this.

and it doesn't mean jack to trick the filter to show yourself at number 1. my beef is more with the volume of garbage that is presented. and i'm not looking at the random stuff. i never look at it.

HyenaHell at 10:06PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
You're apparently the only one on this site that actually pays attention to the sprite and/or pokemon comics.

And yeah, I totally blew like, ten admins to get featured. It ain't about politics. It's about who you blow.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Ozoneocean at 10:12PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
Amazo3xt
and to be featured it has all to do with politics,and nothing to do with skill. ( if i'm correct) don't you have to interview people and do reviews? its homework,and at that point its not fun.
Nope. Dead wrong. No idea why you think this.
The only homework we do is making sure we don't feature extremely adult work with heaps of sex and violence in it.

Amazo3xt
the features should be more of a hey look what i found i think you guys will like this.
That IS all a feature is. Nothing else.
Hyena H_ll
And yeah, I totally blew like, ten admins to get featured. It ain't about politics. It's about who you blow.
If only :(
Niccea at 10:13PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
Hyena H_ll
You're apparently the only one on this site that actually pays attention to the sprite and/or pokemon comics.

*snirk* I'm just the embodiment of good luck. The one night I stay up late enough to see who was featured before going to bed, I see MB on the front page.

But seriously, are you even reading what we are saying? You seem to have a preset speech prepared and just copy pasted.

(Also I'm a bit disappointed that you officially joined the site a few days ago and this is your first post. Seems like a waste of time to sign up just so you can complain.)
subcultured at 10:27PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
good thing i get paid for entertaining people like you ^_^
if you want exclusivity there are sites such as zuda comics
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
HyenaHell at 10:29PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Hyena H_ll
I know, right? That might've saved me a lot of cross-hatchin'!
Amazo3xt at 10:31PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
i'm reading although i will admit i lose myself in my words.

and i can admit if i'm wrong.i apologize for not knowing the full logistics of features.

i signed up recently but i've been sort of lurking for a while i just felt i had to say something.

and that eff eff ex feature *sigh…

so what are most of you guys averaging in page views?

a few people i know are steady at 100-300 i'm assuming thats poor

and are those actual page views i never seen a number like 632 page views except in averages.
Niccea at 10:36PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
Amazo3xt
]

a few people i know are steady at 100-300 i'm assuming thats poor

As far as I know, that is normal.
HyenaHell at 10:36PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
Huh. Weird about-face there. But. Average for me is 2000? 1500- is slow, 3000+ is gangbusters.
Redemption at 10:38PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
Niccea
Seems like a waste of time to sign up just so you can complain.)
Man, wish I'd known that before. :D

Amazo3xt
that's the problem with this country,people who can't compete are competing (man i sound weird and old)
That's ok. I know 3 people on the forums from my little nation - so I'm pretty sure I don't live in your country.

There's some good, extensive information around the forums on features… here.

I'm grateful that there isn't an entry criteria in place at DD. There are a lot of developing comics around the place. I'm not a big reader of Pokemon sprite comics but if someone's using sprites as a chance to experiment with the comics genre, I'm not complaining.

Updates Thursdays.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
Amazo3xt at 10:45PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
1500? you do 1500 in this place no way you have that many repeat readers.
Skullbie at 11:05PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
Okay ere are my higher stats back when my comic i was popular/updated, i had around 55 pages(i.e. not 800 durrhurr), update days are almost triple. That 40k is from advertisements, and those two super low bars are from a site downtime.

In short ‘good’ does not mean you ‘deserve’ hits, and a universal ‘good’ based on one opinion is laughable, only an egocentric teenage brat could seriously want it to be imposed.
You think comics are trash because they're not something you enjoy, when in truth many bl comics have excellent art and the authors put forth tons of effort and love their fans, and eff eff ex is a hilarious goldmine parody to anyone that loved that game. Those comics obviously have something to offer people and the author for creating it, you'd be better off learning from it then shunning them.

Edit: also those are from 08, the top 10 now probably has triple those on a daily basis now
Amazo3xt at 11:20PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(offline)
HOW?! i don't get it where are these views coming from? is it just because of sheer time here? where are you advertising that 41,000 page views comes in?
Skullbie at 11:29PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
That was all from misfile, a very popular off-site comic with a somewhat similar theme to mine. Use project wonderful to advertise, it's AHSUM.
And i guess i'll just say what i always say; readers don't come to you, if no one knows where your comic is they can't read it, etc.

I've always wondered where Cru's hits come from though
Freegurt at 11:44PM, Aug. 27, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
Okay ere are my higher stats back when my comic i was popular/updated, i had around 55 pages(i.e. not 800 durrhurr), update days are almost triple. That 40k is from advertisements, and those two super low bars are from a site downtime.

In short ‘good’ does not mean you ‘deserve’ hits, and a universal ‘good’ based on one opinion is laughable, only an egocentric teenage brat could seriously want it to be imposed.
You think comics are trash because they're not something you enjoy, when in truth many bl comics have excellent art and the authors put forth tons of effort and love their fans, and eff eff ex is a hilarious goldmine parody to anyone that loved that game. Those comics obviously have something to offer people and the author for creating it, you'd be better off learning from it then shunning them.

Edit: also those are from 08, the top 10 now probably has triple those on a daily basis now

B…buu-huuu-huuu…this makes me feel so sad about my stats now, buu-huuu-huuu.

Hyena H_ll

Looks like I need to get to work.

Anyway, I'm assuming someone's comic didn't make it to the front page? When I looked for my comic (w/o any filters on) it was on page fifteen or something and I nearly jizzed myself because it was normally unheard of and probably on page 1,000,000 or something. I may be crawling up a sheer cliff of ice, but I'm gradually getting there, yo.

What I want to know is where the heck you're finding all of these Pokemon sprite comics. Because in the time I've been here, I haven't seen them, even with the filters off. Let me add this, too, are you reading them? No? Then why all the hate, man!? I myself really don't care for Charby. Do you know what I do? I move on and don't read it. I know it's hard, oh man there are times when I have to physically stop myself from reading it I dislike it so much! Augh!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
XanderXeroFiasco at 12:33AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
the dude is right. enough boy love comics. lets see some lesbian shite.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
Ozoneocean at 12:37AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
ozoneocean
Hyena H_ll
I know, right? That might've saved me a lot of cross-hatchin'!
Remind me to update the features thread with excellent new rules… ^___^
Amazo3xt
HOW?! i don't get it where are these views coming from? is it just because of sheer time here? where are you advertising that 41,000 page views comes in?
Yeah, 40K plus is a good result from advertising a comic.

Mine updates about one page a month and gets about 1500 a day or so these days. Nothing to what it had in its heyday. But I don't really care these days anyway.

Skullbie
I've always wondered where Cru's hits come from though

Isn't it obvious? It's basically a WOW fan comic. Do you realise the massive built-in fan-base that sort of comic has? O_O
It's like Craving Control on crack, but the audience is less creepy.

XanderXeroFiasco
the dude is right. enough boy love comics. lets see some lesbian shite.
Hello? Click on Skulbie's forum sig banner man. It's all you need.

skoolmunkee at 1:43AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
I've never seen a massive ball of frustration in forum post format before. Enlightening. :]

Amazo, I can't tell if you hate the site and were trying to make suggestions, or you just have a load of resentment for comics that you think you're better than. It comes off as the latter so just be careful going that direction, it won't make you friends here on this amateur comics site. :] Your first few posts were certainly fairly antagonistic. (The person who does Charby is a woman, btw.)

The thing about webcomics is that it's such an easily accessible, creative medium there are always going to be people doing them whether they're godawful or making a living off them. I'm sorry you've only ever found one webcomic that made you laugh and the rest of us are unfunny jack holes, but you're just going to have to reconcile that somehow or else your head will explode. Different people like different things, and many of them are just doing it for themselves.

There's a vast amount of advice in some of these forums (usually in a stickied thread) about how featuring works, how to get one's comic noticed, effective advertising techniques, etc…. so it might be worth checking those out if you have questions or issues with those subjects. And a comic with say, 14 pages, *is* at a disadvantage when it comes to getting noticed. It's not enough to be featured, it's not been around long enough to develop word of mouth, and it's not enough to really hook people that may have come by from ads. A comic with more pages has a definite advantage there. Don't forget the ever-elusive luck, which accounts for almost every case of “a massive webcomic linked to me.” Pinning webcomic success hopes on a ‘recently updated’ list is pretty silly, and anyone who only relies on that for exposure or new readers probably doesn't deserve to have any. Getting noticed isn't magic and doesn't happen just because someone is good- it takes a lot of work outside of just doing the comic. Some people are much better at getting noticed than they are at making comics- and that means their bad comics get noticed a lot more than good ones who lay low.

So- don't get too hung up on the success of comics that have lots of pages, because they've worked hard and long to earn their readers. Don't stress out about comics you think aren't worth your attention- other people may like them, or they may just be a labor of love (or just something someone did because they're bored). There ARE concrete things people can do to improve their comics and get more readers, it seems more positive for people to work on those than to dwell on some of the other things you've brought up. :]

Edit: DD rounds pageviews to 10, it's easier on the processing. That's why you don't see numbers like 632- it would just be 630.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
bravo1102 at 5:22AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
How many comics are on here? Can you read every single one? Can you read a majority?

Face it people like what others consider shite. You can't please everyone. There may be some fabulous stupendous comic that updates rarely and you can't or won't find.

Money, lots and lots of money works just as well as oral sex. Wasn't some awful fantasy comic illustrated with action figures featured months and months ago? (it had lesbian sex too!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
zaymac at 6:01AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
You know, I'm frustrated too. I think my comic should be featured again, just because it is awesome! Can anyone make that happen for me?

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
elektro at 7:03AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(offline)
You know, I doubt my comic will ever be featured, but I don't really care if it is or not. I just enjoy making it for people to view, and if even only one person sees it in a week and likes it, well, that's more than enough for me. I just wish I knew more about advertising, though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
PIT_FACE at 7:16AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
allright,im sorry. i'll stop.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
subcultured at 7:21AM, Aug. 28, 2009
(online)
skully: i think most of cru's views come from a WOW site
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon