Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Signup up for Drunk Duck Mafia XI. Introducing: Monster Mash.
Product Placement at 7:59PM, July 9, 2009
(online)
All right folks. After a long and strenuous game, Mafia X has finally finished and it's time for a new one.

For those not familiar with this game, I will sum it up with these few words. Drunk Duck Mafia, features wholesome carnage, where its members play the roles of villagers in Townston, currently being under attack by an outside threat. In a standard game the threat takes the form of a sinister Mafia, trying to take over things but this time around, I will offer you a special treat.

Introducing:

Here's some music to get you guys in the mood.

The Townies thought their biggest worry was the mafia. Well a worse threat has come to Townston! Three of the biggest names in monsterverse have made a bet. A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE bet. The bet is who could take over the town first. The first thing they did was to destroy the leadership in the town. People are running around flailing their arms around and panicking, ready to be picked apart by the monsters but all hope is not lost. For you see, Van Helsing has come to town. He'll save us! Right?

Each night, the monster will attack the town and turn some of them into monsters as well. Those who are turned, will also gain the ability to turn others as well. The town will try to fight the exponentially growing monster population but at the same time, the monsters will be fighting each other. If a monster targets another monster of a different kind, they will fight to the death and both die, unless the attacking monster double teams with another of same type.

Roles and goals.

Townies!

Their goals.

The goal of the town will be to destroy all three monster races. Since they will be fighting an uphill battle from the start, they will have two arsenals to use.

Each night (apart from the first), the mayor will organize a lynch mob and go after a specific player. If the mayor is ever killed, the town will loose their lynch ability.

Working independently or with the town, Van Helsing and his team of hunters will strike from the darkness with hopes to kill the monsters menace.

The Roles
Mayor (1)
Pardoner (1)
Bodyguards (2)
Van Helsing: (1)
Monster Hunters: (up to 2)
Scary movie fans: (2)
Townie: (the rest of the players)

Mayor
The Mayor is elected at the start of the game and has numerous roles. His special abilities are:
Seal of the Mayor: Increased vote count of 2 during lynching.
Desperate times, desperate measures: The Mayor can declare 2 double lynches anytime during the game When double lynches are in effect each player gets two votes on two different people. (The mayor must notify the GM during the night phase or early during the the day phase so voting can be arranged accordingly).
Did you ever know that you're my hero…: Cannot be killed during the night while his bodyguard(s) are alive.
Let's celebrate!: The Mayor has the option of insta-lynching one player by the end of Day 1 once he's won the election. No voting takes place. Whoever the Mayor picks, gets lynched. Take heed if you plan to use this ability since no clues have been given that could tell you who's a monster at that time.

Pardoner
As a check and balance to the Mayor, the pardoner is the runner up to the Mayor. The pardoner has the ability to cancel two lynches throughout the game. This could be two single lynches, one double lynch, half of a double and one single or whatever. The pardoner will have to notify me within one hour of lynch vote results before the lynch is actually posted. He is also unable to pardon on the insta-lynch. Pardoner shares the protection from the Bodyguards.

Bodyguard
Two random townies will receive the role of bodyguards, once the mayor has been elected. The bodyguards cannot be monsters or special roles, they can only be regular townies. As long as the bodyguards are alive, they'll protect the Mayor and Pardoner from being killed. Normally the Mayor gets to know who the bodyguards are but in this game it will be kept a secret. When a bodyguard is turned by a monster, the town will be informed via narration.

Van Helsing
The famous monster hunter has arrived to this town. He will function as a mixture of the vigilante and the detective. During each day and night cycle, he's allowed to do one of the following:
I sense a taint of evil!: Van Helsing can check upon a player and determine if he's a monster or not. He can only do this 2 times. Note. This power can also identify the monster leaders.
Who dun it?:If a clue is left behind, Van Helsing can ask the GM if a specific someone was behind the attack.
Tonight we hunt: Wan Helsing can spend his night action hunting someone who he believes to be a monster and slay him. A clue is left behind after every kill. Note. Can only be used during night.
Help Wanted!: During the night, Van Helsing is allowed to recruit someone to become a monster hunter. He can only use this power twice. Can only be used at night.
Note: Only those who are not monsters can become a hunter. He can only recruit two times and if he tries to recruit a monster, the attempt is considered spent and wasted. In those situations he will kill the target instead.
Special: Van Helsing knows how to defend himself against monsters and will survive any attack made by an underling. He is however defenseless against an attack from one of the three monsters leader. Van Helsing is allowed to pick a defense against one of the three monster types to render himself immune to attacks from one of the leaders. If Van Helsing is successfully attacked, he will not be turned but will instead die.

Monster hunters
Monster Hunters are recruited by Van Helsing. He's allowed to recruit up to two players that he trusts (can only recruit once per night). Every night, the hunters can target and kill someone who they suspect are monsters. A clue is left behind after every kill. A monster hunter can't be turned and will die if attacked. The monster hunters are not as experienced as Van Helsing and thus can't kill the monster leaders.

Scary movie fan
Night of the living dead, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, An American Werewolf in London. These guys have seen them all and many more. They know what to do if one is to encounter these types of beasts. Every night they're allowed to either protect themselves or someone else for the night. If a monster attacks someone who's protected, he will survive the attempt and a clue will be left behind, pointing at the attacker. If more then one monster attacks a person that's being protected, only the first attack is canceled.

Special
All the villagers (including all the special roles) will get to choose a defense against one of the monsters types at the beginning of the game. These are: A hunk of Garlic (against vampires), silver pendant (for werewolves) or a insta-light torch (to scare away zombies).
Example: If a Vampire attacks a player with a hunk of garlic, the Vampire will run away and the player is not turned for the night. A clue will be left behind which can tell us who the monster is. The player is still vulnerable from attacks of the other two monster types. Once a defense has been picked, the player can't change it again.

Rule Update:
New Rule
Once a player turns into a monster his defensive item is turned into a offensive weapon and is required to kill monsters of that type. Here's how the combat system will work.

Vampire (with Wolf defense) vs Wolf (with Vampire defense) = both die.

Vampire (with Zombie defense) vs Wolf (with Vampire defense) = Wolf survives, Vampire dies.

Vampire (with Zombie defense) vs Wolf (with Zombie defense) = both survive.

1 Vampire (with Wolf defense) vs 2 Wolfs (both with Zombie defense) = 1 Wolf dies, 1 Wolf + Vampire survives

1 Vampire (with Wolf defense) vs 2 Wolfs (1 with Zombie defense and 1 with Vampire defense (or both with Vampire defense)) = 1 Wolf survives, 1 Wolf + Vampire dies

1 Vampire (with Zombie defense) vs 2 Wolfs (1 with Zombie defense and 1 with Vampire defense (or both with Vampire defense)) = Vampire dies, both Wolfs survive)

1 Vampire (with Zombie defense) vs 2 Wolfs (both with Zombie defense) = All survive

Monster Leaders can't be killed using this tactic. They also don't require these items to kill other monster minions. Only opposing Monster Leaders, Van Helsing or lynches can kill Monster Leaders.
Monsters!

Their goals.

Each of the monster races are fighting for supreme control of the town. If two of the monster races are dead and the town is no longer able to defeat the third one, the remaining monster race will win.

The roles.
The Nosferatu = vampire leader(1)
The Alfa male = werewolf leader(1)
The Ghoul = zombie leader(1)

All three monster leaders have these powers.

I wasn't turned yesterday: The monster leaders are stronger then their minions. If a monster leader attacks another monster or is attacked by one, he will survive while the other monster will die. He will not be named in the progress but a clue, that might reveal his identity will be left behind. A monster leader can only be killed via lynch, by Van Helsing or another Monster leader who attacks him.
Welcome to our fold: The monster leader can turn mortals to one of their own. Each night they can target a victim and attempt to turn him. Once that player is turned he will stay on that side until he's killed. Minions also gain the power to turn others as well. If a minion tries to turn another monster, they will initiate a fight to the death (see monster defense rule for more details).
If the leader goes we all go!: The lives of the minions are sustained by the magics of their sires. Should the leader of any of the monster races die, all of his underlings will die with him/her.

This game will run at a 48 hour cycle. Each day or night will take 24 hours in real time. Day-/Night-breaks occurs at 24:00 GMT. During those times, a narration will be posted by the GM, explaining what's transpired.

For those unfamiliar with the GMT system, I offer you a conversion table for you to study.

“Here's how it works. Figure out where in the world you live and locate that place on the map. Follow the line you're living in down to the bottom of the map and locate a number down there. Use that number to change the time that the GM gives (as long as he's using GMT, that is). For example, if the GM says that something will happen at 6 pm and your living in a -5 zone, it means that it will happen at 1 pm your time. If you live in a +5 zone, it means that it will happen at 11pm.”

Also for those living in America, here's a handy time table to show you at what time you can expect the narrations.

At first, you can expect that nothing big will probably happen. My narration will state how many people were turned, during the night but will not specify who it was. Only when an attack fails or if someone dies, will there be a fancy pants narration complete with clues and everything. As the days progress and the numbers of monsters swell, you can expect things to get very lively.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

We're looking for minimum of 20 people. More are welcome to join (I'm gonna see if I can't attract 30 players).

1: Niccea the great deceiver.
2: TheFlyingGreenMonkey the everlasting pardoner.
3: kitty17
4: crocty
5: InuYasha_Rules
6: Exzachly
7: Sea_Cow
8: waff-Man
9: Aghammer
10:gullas the impaler.
11:herio
12:rokulily
13:therealtj
14:harkovast the patron saint of finger pointing.
15:GarBonzo Bean
16:Salsa
17:Ochitsukanai
18:humorman
19:KillerBob
20:Anthony Mercer
21:Naughtelos
22:Avalon comics
23:Hakoshen the Spartan
24:ozoneocean is sexy
25:?

Let me know if I'm forgetting some titles.

For those curious, titles are something that players have earned during the course of these games. If they did something remarkable or stood out in some way they often get a title that represents their actions.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 8:02PM, July 9, 2009
(online)
Count me in!

Also FIRST POST!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
kitty17 at 8:05PM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
I'm in.

K.A.L.A.-dan! Moe Maid ;3
Pastel and Kitty :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
crocty at 8:05PM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
Place me down on your list, kind sir.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
kitty17 at 8:13PM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
I like how my “Unkillable” title went away because I was actually killed.

It's relieving really…that title made me feel like a huge target D:

Niccea at 8:15PM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
XD Sorry Kitty. But you should know better than to attack a paranoid.

Good luck on your second and a half time, PP.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
kitty17 at 8:19PM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
I attacked the paranoid on purpose, though o:
I sacrificed myself in the name of mafia.

And I was supposed to survive…

Product Placement at 8:22PM, July 9, 2009
(online)
I didn't accept it as a valid nickname precisely because it made you a bigger target.

Nicknames should not tempt people into killing you and granting you the title “unkillable” paints a bullseye on your forehead. You're just tempting fate to much. Why do you think they stopped titling ships “unsinkable”?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
kitty17 at 8:34PM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
What about the monster underlings? There's no word about them.
It just stops at the leaders.
Does that mean the leaders don't have minions at the beginning?

Product Placement at 8:43PM, July 9, 2009
(online)
They start alone. But don't worry. Their numbers will grow.

Oh, how they will grow.

The idea is to have the game play out in two phases.

Phase 1 is where the monsters try to take over the town, while the mortals attempt to resist.

Phase 2 is the scenario where the town has been overrun by the monsters and they're now fighting amongst themselves for dominance.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
InuYasha_Rules at 9:00PM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
I'm so in! >:) :gem:

I hope for wherewolf, hint hint!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
Exzachly at 11:10PM, July 9, 2009
(online)
Definitely in this one!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Sea_Cow at 11:11PM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
Sea_Cow will participate as well. Yeah, that Sea_Cow. Final boss of the original mafia Sea_Cow.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
waff at 11:24PM, July 9, 2009
(online)
I'm in…and debating between two of the defenses.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:44PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 4:15AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
An early reminder to vote for me for your pardoner ;D. Or mayor. You know whatever >.> .>

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
Product Placement at 4:54AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
waff
How so? Can you explain what you're unhappy about?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Aghammer at 5:50AM, July 10, 2009
(offline)
I'm in.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
gullas at 5:50AM, July 10, 2009
(offline)
man… I can't really back out now can I? I mean I've played every single mafia game and *sniff* it has grown on me :)

Ofcourse silly goose, I'm in :)!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
herio at 6:27AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
count me in

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
rokulily at 7:14AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
I'm in! It'll be good to play again!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
waff at 8:10AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
waff
How so? Can you explain what you're unhappy about?
It's more that I'm trying to choose which one to pick if I get a none monster role.

Product Placement at 8:33AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
You're trying to decide if you want to lynch the monsters or have Van Helsing deal with them?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
InuYasha_Rules at 8:41AM, July 10, 2009
(offline)
No, he's talking about garlic, crucifex, and the flash light thingy.

Product Placement at 8:47AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
Ah…. got it.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
waff at 10:12AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
I can see large amounts of comedic value in all three of the defencive options.

therealtj at 10:49AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
Sign me up, Dan!

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:27PM
InuYasha_Rules at 11:12AM, July 10, 2009
(offline)
We should all decide on the same defense, that way, at least one “godfather” will never get any ppl! I vote that we all use flashlights, zombies just arnt my style.

harkovast at 11:16AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
My concern is that if the mayor dies the townies become useless.

Oh yeah and I sign up.
POW!
Feel the magic!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:43PM
waff at 11:20AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
InuYasha_Rules
We should all decide on the same defense, that way, at least one “godfather” will never get any ppl! I vote that we all use flashlights, zombies just arnt my style.
don't you mean torches (as in the flaming kind that go with pitchforks)?

Product Placement at 12:01PM, July 10, 2009
(online)
I recommend for players to not publicly discuss what defenses they're planing to use. If you end up taking that defense the players with monster abilities might suspect which one you have and attack accordingly.

I understand your concern harkovast but by the time the Mayor dies, I will be expecting such a high casualty rate that it wouldn't really matter. The town would essentially belong to the monsters who now only have to assure dominance for their side. The game essentially stops revolving around the townies trying to save the town and starts focusing on the monsters fighting amongst themselves. In fact if both the Mayor and Van Helsing dies, there will be no one left with day actions and I can essentially start skipping the days.

And Waff is correct. It's not a flashlight but a torch with a built in “insta-light” feature.

Some fun news. I was talking to Rokliliy (who's artwork I really admire) and she agreed to make a poster picture for my game. :) She's shown me her sketch work that's she's already finished with and it looks pretty good. I'll post it as soon as she's finished with it.

The sign up is moving so fast now that I'm half tempted to up the minimum up to 30. I won't though but I hope to reach that number. Should make the game more fun.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon