Media Megaforum

Silly things about Giant Robot shows...
Lonnehart at 5:01PM, Sept. 4, 2007
(online)
We've all watched them. Voltron, Mighty Orbots, Voltes V, those weird Power Rangers, Tranzor Z, etc… When we were children the shows were ultra cool. But now as adults… Well, I find some things about them really silly. Let's take those weapons, for instance.

The Rocket Punch. So it looks cool. Launch your fist at your opponent and literally demolish them with it. Now that I think about it the Rocket Punch is a weapon I would never dare use. What happens if that flying fist is destroyed or simply can't return to me? I'd be somewhat disarmed, y'know? Best example of this is The Big O's second season. Big Fau launched his fists at Big O, who then just grabbed them and destroyed them. Big Fau had only his guns left, but still…

Then you gotta wonder why the evil alien invaders were only able to send one monster at a time to invade the planet… (maybe the insurance premiums were too high?)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
mlai at 5:38PM, Sept. 4, 2007
(online)
You gotta love the mandatory electric shock nodes which are built into the seat of every giant robot pilot.

Yeah, that'll keep those uppitty pilots in line… You just scratched the paint on the robot toe! Electric shock for YOU!!

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Exzachly at 1:02PM, Sept. 5, 2007
(online)
I have electric nodes hooked up to my computer right now, to avoid typos.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Red Slayer at 5:58PM, Sept. 5, 2007
(online)
Lonnehart
Then you gotta wonder why the evil alien invaders were only able to send one monster at a time to invade the planet… (maybe the insurance premiums were too high?)

Budget.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
SarahN at 7:28PM, Sept. 5, 2007
(online)
This seems like a good time to post this:
http://youtube.com/watch/v/W424zSuWtb4
PSSHEWWWW! ‘IR COMEZ!

(Wait for the ’altered' lyrics. It's the funny part about this. XD)

That snake-like weapon is so wrong on so many levels…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Terminal at 12:15AM, Sept. 6, 2007
(online)
All that money spent into building one giant robot whereas they could have used the money from the robot for more useful things like supplies or building an army.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:12PM
ozoneocean at 3:42AM, Sept. 6, 2007
(online)
Terminal
All that money spent into building one giant robot whereas they could have used the money from the robot for more useful things like supplies or building an army.
Ah-ha! But in giant robo shows all weapons, armies, war-machines etc, are completely useless against the monsters/enemy robos. Actually all attacks by the good robo are usually useless too except for a single one… :(

Ah, but you do have a sort of a point because, say, in Voltron, if they scrapped the robot lions and stuff and just worked on a missile that used the power of the sword attack thingo, they'd have saved HEAPS. lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
AQua_ng at 11:08AM, Sept. 6, 2007
(online)
I always wonder if it is really worth destroying all the buildings in a five mile radius for a single fight.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:57AM
Bekefel at 12:46PM, Sept. 6, 2007
(offline)
AQua_ng
I always wonder if it is really worth destroying all the buildings in a five mile radius for a single fight.

Dragonball Z, they fight to save people, yet they must end up obliterating acres of farmland and countless towns.

Gotta love plot holes.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:17AM
TheMidge28 at 1:19PM, Sept. 6, 2007
(online)
I always a had problem with the primary colors of some of the Giant Robots.

Like Voltron…red, blue, yellow, green,…except the black…I like black…the freakin robot is a rainbow-painted pack of skittles! Nothing says awesome powered battle ready robot more than a bunch of multi-colored kitties joined together into a rainbow robot swinging around a big phallic sword!

“Hey! You big nasty monster! I going to claw your eyes out! MEOW!”

Now that I think of it maybe Voltron was about diversity…

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
isukun at 2:33PM, Sept. 6, 2007
(online)
You gotta love the mandatory electric shock nodes which are built into the seat of every giant robot pilot.

I just figured the robots weren't properly insulated. Although in Godannar they actually do install electric nodes in the seats to wake up the pilots if they fall unconscious.

Dragonball Z, they fight to save people, yet they must end up obliterating acres of farmland and countless towns.

Gotta love plot holes.

Not really a plot hole. Also consider the alternative is that everyone on the planet gets killed. I'd say a city and some farmland, or a few villages is an acceptable loss vs the entire planet. Plus they do wish back all those people at times and reverse some of the damage done (how many times do they blow up the moon?).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Hawk at 3:57PM, Sept. 6, 2007
(online)
Of all Anime, the giant robot kind is probably the kind I enjoy the least.

I think what I don't like is that the power and ability of a constructed robot seems really arbitrary. When two humans fight, I can kind of tell how powerful they'll be or what kind of moves they can do, but with giant robots, it's up to whatever screwball ideas the creators have mapped out in their heads. I like having at least some realistic limitations anchor a story and make it understandable.

Plus, what's with those robots you pilot while naked in a container of liquid?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
isukun at 5:30PM, Sept. 6, 2007
(online)
These are the things which bother you and not that the Japanese have the entirely unrealistic premise that teens are the more suitable choice to pilot highly advanced war machines. 90% of these giant robots have pilots under the age of 18 when the world generally doesn't consider people that young to be mature enough to handle far simpler machines.
ozoneocean at 4:25AM, Sept. 7, 2007
(online)
I sort of like giant robos… At least in shows like Martian Successor Nadesico, Gasaraki , and Robotech (Macros/Southern Cross/Mospeada). Those smaller, more “realistic”, “batletype” sorts of mecha are groovy. But are they giant robos? ..they're sort of medium robos I suppose. :)

In all of those they have all ages piloting them, but of course the teen characters are usually better at it for some reason or other (usually because they're the prime target audience ;))

The giant robo show that I like the least, apart from Ninja robots (the Cartoon Network name for a piece of CRAP), is Gundam Wing. But that's probably because I only saw the series that Cartoon Network was showing… Because I know it has a large fan following and that fan following must have been attracted to something better than the crappy emo, crappy, crappy, emo, EMO thing that I saw. Yeah, it was banal, dull, emo, turgid, long, and pointless, not to mention bad mecha designs, a silly story and so on. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Lonnehart at 2:58PM, Sept. 7, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
I sort of like giant robos… At least in shows like Martian Successor Nadesico, Gasaraki , and Robotech (Macros/Southern Cross/Mospeada). Those smaller, more “realistic”, “batletype” sorts of mecha are groovy. But are they giant robos? ..they're sort of medium robos I suppose. :)

In all of those they have all ages piloting them, but of course the teen characters are usually better at it for some reason or other (usually because they're the prime target audience ;))

The giant robo show that I like the least, apart from Ninja robots (the Cartoon Network name for a piece of CRAP), is Gundam Wing. But that's probably because I only saw the series that Cartoon Network was showing… Because I know it has a large fan following and that fan following must have been attracted to something better than the crappy emo, crappy, crappy, emo, EMO thing that I saw. Yeah, it was banal, dull, emo, turgid, long, and pointless, not to mention bad mecha designs, a silly story and so on. -_-

Giant Robot Emo Pilots… er… yeah…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oy4s6oZ5w4
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
SarahN at 9:35PM, Sept. 7, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Oh good, I'm not the only one who hated that show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
jalford at 3:48AM, Sept. 11, 2007
(online)
Evangelion was one of the few anime giant robot shows where they actually fought in the city, and caused massive property damage.

Weirdly enough, the concept of the giant robot in live-action sentai originated from the Japanese Spider-Man series from the 70s. Still don't know how a photographer could afford his own giant robot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
isukun at 4:31AM, Sept. 11, 2007
(online)
You might want to fact check that. Spiderman didn'trun until 1978, while Toei's Super Sentai series started in 1975 and those definitely featured giant robots. Also, the concept isn't too far removed from Ultraman transforming into a giant version of himself to fight kaiju back in the 60's.
Mystic Hand at 9:08AM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
jalford
Evangelion was one of the few anime giant robot shows where they actually fought in the city, and caused massive property damage.

I know the Evangelion units don't technically count (according to another thread's definition), but the idea of giant robots needing giant (yet extremely short) extension cords for power did not win me over with its brilliance…

…But The Perry Bible Fellowship always does, especially with strips like this:
Guntron Alliance Force

(http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF186-Guntron_Alliance_Force.png#172)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved