Comic Talk and General Discussion *

SITE ISSUES UPDATE - Data retained and restored, but no images. WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
skoolmunkee at 4:26PM, March 30, 2011
(offline)
Although all info posted about this earlier today is now GONE (with the partial restore), you can get a recap of the site issues earlier today here: http://techblog.drunkduck.com/

In short,
- A catastrophic failure by the hosting company meant that the site and backups were lost.
- The site was rolled back to January 13th, the last offsite update available.

However,
- Wowio has since been able to restore all database files for DrunkDuck, dated from earlier today.
- Images and custom HTML uploaded to the site after Jan 13th are GONE. They are not coming back as far as anyone can tell at this point.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU:
- The “structure” of your comic archives are there, with all authors comments, reader comments, forum posts, etc. The pages all work but the images themselves are all gone.
- Any changes you made to your custom html past Jan 13th, and any images you uploaded, are lost. You must reinstate them yourself.
- To retain reader comments on your archive pages, USE THE “EDIT” FEATURE to “update” the image. Deleting and re-uploading pages may be faster for some people, but then any comments would be lost.

Unfortunately Editing can only be done on a page-by-page basis, there is no automated function for it.

We realize this has been very frustrating for everyone and may still consume a lot of some peoples' time. The people at Wowio have worked very hard to get as much back as they can, and I'm personally very relieved to see that the basic structures, user comments and the forums have been saved!

Product Placement
Fixing a page isn't actually all that hard, although pretty tedious.

Here's how to do that.

1. Select “My Account”, located under your profile picture.
2. Find the comic you wish to edit and press the “Edit” button next to it.
3. Select “2.Comic Pages”.
4. Select the first page you wish to edit and press the “Edit” button next to that.
5. Next to “Page Graphic:” you will find the option to reupload the artwork on this page. Upload the image that you wish to put into this page. This will preserve all the comments that have been left on that page.
6. Press “Send Changes”.

Repeat steps through 4 to 6 for every subsequent page.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
Product Placement at 5:08PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
Quick question.

Do the comics that were mentioned in that list that you posted before need to be edited as well or will they fix themselves on their own?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Demongrinder at 5:26PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
Hello,

I'm having problems with my comic page not showing up and will it be a problem that my comic was made after January 13th?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
LeachyPeachy at 5:29PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
Some of the comics will fix themselves as I am scrambling to put up images that I have in a partial backup.

What does that mean Lawrence?
I have a very partial backup of comic pages for about 50 or so DrunkDuck comics. Those comics that I have images for will start to appear on the site. I will be working through the night to get those pushed up.

Again, I'm sorry about all of the problems today. I promise things will be 1000% better on the new system. (We'll be making an announcement on the public PREVIEW of the site soon.)

If you have a question or concern about your comic, let me know. I'll be offline for about an hour but then I'll be back online all night and monitoring this thread. I'll keep chiming in here and on the Tech Blog (http://techblog.drunkduck.com).

L.
Lawrence Leach
Chief Technology Officer
WOWIO, Inc.

I'm the guy who's balls you bust when something goes wrong.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
LeachyPeachy at 5:41PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
Demongrinder
Hello,

I'm having problems with my comic page not showing up and will it be a problem that my comic was made after January 13th?

What is the name of your comic?
Lawrence Leach
Chief Technology Officer
WOWIO, Inc.

Ghostfingers at 5:51PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
I'm having similar issues to Demongrinder. When I attempt to re-upload images, they show as broken images. My avatar for this account showed up without any problems, but comic pages, thumbnails, and things uploaded in the files section all seem broken. Furthermore, when attempting to visit any part of my comic, I get redirected to "http://www.drunkduck.com/index.php?notfound=%2Fcomics%2Fc%2Fcomics%2FS%2FSentinels%2F"

My comic was also created after January 13th, if that matters.

I mention it as a glitch. I think I'll just delete mine, recreate it, and attempt to upload everything again later tonight. Hopefully that'll have a better result. It shouldn't be too hard, I only have a few pages up, and no comments. Thanks. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
Hawk at 6:02PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
Awesome! This went from disaster to mild inconvenience. I can have my missing pages replaced fairly quickly. Thanks for the fix, LeachyPeachy!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Demongrinder at 9:13PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
LeachyPeachy
Demongrinder
Hello,

Dungeon Hordes
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
LeachyPeachy at 9:33PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
Demongrinder
LeachyPeachy
Demongrinder
Hello,

Dungeon Hordes
Let me look into it.
Lawrence Leach
Chief Technology Officer
WOWIO, Inc.

Genejoke at 11:13PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
There was a post about some comics being near fully restored due to some beta test stuff, is this still the case? one of mine was in there and there is a lot of pages to replace the image files and if i can avoid doing so that would be great.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
GMC at 12:18AM, March 31, 2011
(online)
Hey sorry, when I go to any of my comic pages it is not found and returns me to the drunkduck homepage.

It should be at this address: http://www.drunkduck.com/Sad_Dads and has 7 pages.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
skoolmunkee at 12:23AM, March 31, 2011
(offline)
He did mention in one of these replies here “What does that mean Lawrence?
I have a very partial backup of comic pages for about 50 or so DrunkDuck comics. Those comics that I have images for will start to appear on the site. I will be working through the night to get those pushed up.” So it looks as though he still intends to try doing that. I can't speak for him or his time though. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
Ozoneocean at 12:26AM, March 31, 2011
(online)
GMC
Hey sorry, when I go to any of my comic pages it is not found and returns me to the drunkduck homepage.

It should be at this address: http://www.drunkduck.com/Sad_Dads and has 7 pages.
Thankyou for reporting this here. It looks like you have the same problem as Demongrinder and Ghostrunner. I've e-mailed these to the Wowio team.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Chiyoi at 12:38AM, March 31, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
GMC

Thankyou for reporting this here. It looks like you have the same problem as Demongrinder and Ghostrunner. I've e-mailed these to the Wowio team.
I have exactly the same problem with my comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
itsjustaar at 12:47AM, March 31, 2011
(online)
On a positive note, looks like all my stuff is back up and running!

I'm glad to know that even in the wake of disaster, it wasn't a complete loss. I simply opened up a bunch of tabs and just let all of the pages upload at once while I watched Harry Potter 3, lol.

Thanks guys for working hard with the problem at hand. Much appreciated.

In the process, I even replaced my oddball LT avvie with the cool one I fell in love with that a friend drew. Awesome. :D
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Ozoneocean at 1:04AM, March 31, 2011
(online)
Chiyoi
ozoneocean
GMC

I have exactly the same problem with my comic.
I've reported your's too.
itsjustaar
On a positive note, looks like all my stuff is back up and running!
Glad to hear it Aaron! :)
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 2:21AM, March 31, 2011
(offline)
I was worried that I had travelled back in time or something without realising when I opened up the homepage and everything said it was January! D: But I'm glad you guys have managed to retrieve what you did, I would have been sooo upset if I lost all mine and other's comments and comics, so thanks!
of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
Randal at 3:04AM, March 31, 2011
(offline)
I'm relieved that data up to yesterday was restored, as I lazily don't name my source files by their update number… and I was clueless as to their order. Now I only have to worry about the two or three weeks of them that are on a broken computer… We have the computer backed up online, but they want like $300 in recovery fees. Guess who's not getting $300? Not when I have friends who restore computers…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
Jake Richmond at 5:31AM, March 31, 2011
(online)
I'm finding that I can't upload my pages. I followed the instructions in the OP, but after hitting “send changes” nothing happens. No image is loaded.

What am I missing here? Probably something obvious, right? By the way, I didn't have this problem when I re-uploaded my user pic.

Jake
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Kimhura at 5:35AM, March 31, 2011
(offline)
I'm in the same boat as Demongrinder and GMC. I also created my comic after January 13th. It was called Inc. It didn't have too many pages, though, so if it'd just be easier if I deleted it and started over, I can do that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Ozoneocean at 6:16AM, March 31, 2011
(online)
Jake Richmond
I'm finding that I can't upload my pages. I followed the instructions in the OP, but after hitting “send changes” nothing happens. No image is loaded.

What am I missing here? Probably something obvious, right? By the way, I didn't have this problem when I re-uploaded my user pic.
Hello Jake. Your comic was archived again and added to the Beta version of the site under development.
I think Lawrence Intends to fully restore all comics in that boat from that resource.
I have a scheduled conference call with Wowio in a few hours just before we recored the Quackcast so I'll speak directly with people then and see what's happening.
For now I have reported your problem.

Kimhura
I'm in the same boat as Demongrinder and GMC. I also created my comic after January 13th. It was called Inc. It didn't have too many pages, though, so if it'd just be easier if I deleted it and started over, I can do that.
Yep, I've reported your issue too. Hopefully deletion won't be necessary. It seems that LL comics created after the 13th or 14th of Jan suffer this issue, so hopefully any fix will be universal. -Crossed fingers!!!!!!
wordweaver_four at 8:22AM, March 31, 2011
(offline)
ozoneocean
Yep, I've reported your issue too. Hopefully deletion won't be necessary. It seems that LL comics created after the 13th or 14th of Jan suffer this issue, so hopefully any fix will be universal. -Crossed fingers!!!!!!

I got my fingers crossed as hard as I can do it. Kombat Kubs Returns was created after 1/13 and has been having the same issues. This poor comic must have a curse on it. Keeps getting killed.

Also this account was created after 1/13. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, I doubt it, but just thought you should know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
LeachyPeachy at 9:27AM, March 31, 2011
(online)
Hey folks,

I am still working on migrating the comics and fixing some permissions issues on the servers. I've posted an update on the Tech Blog (http://techblog.drunkduck.com/). Many of you with comics created on or after Jan 13th, 2011 will need to reupload your images. You should NOT have to recreate your comic from scratch. Again, let me finish fixing the permission issues and then you should be good to go. I'll post another update, (both here and on the blog.), as soon as I've got that going.

Thanks,

L.
Lawrence Leach
Chief Technology Officer
WOWIO, Inc.

Niccea at 12:25PM, March 31, 2011
(offline)
I cannot access the techblog.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Stunna at 12:41PM, March 31, 2011
(offline)
Okay, do to the fallout thing on here, my account and comic were apparently deleted.

So I made a new account and a new comic called Pokemon Redux.

However, soon thereafter, Redux disappeared, and my former account and comic reappeared.

Thing is, I don't want my old comic anymore. I want Redux.

I deleted my old one, and trying to remake Redux, but the site won't let me use that name.

EVEN THOUGH PKMN REDUX ISN'T ON THE SITE ANYMORE.

And if it is, I'm the author anyway, so what the heck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
dragonrider at 3:19PM, March 31, 2011
(online)
Tried to follow the blog and got the following return.

Page not found (404)
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://techblog.drunkduck.com/blog/

Using the URLconf defined in urls, Django tried these URL patterns, in this order:

1. ^admin/
2. ^media/(?P.*)$
3. ^tagging_autocomplete/
4. ^$
5. ^blog/(?P+)/$
6. ^tinymce/
7. ^threadedcomments/
8. ^signup_html/$
9. ^login_html/$
10. ^remote_signup/$
11. ^remote_login/$
12. ^remote_logout/$
13. ^comment_form/$

The current URL, blog/, didn't match any of these.

You're seeing this error because you have DEBUG = True in your Django settings file. Change that to False, and Django will display a standard 404 page.
Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. Because, YOU are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
dragonrider at 3:22PM, March 31, 2011
(online)
The original reason I was trying to follow the blog to the forum posts was because the MyFavorites tab won't open, of course from what I've seen probably no updates anyway.
Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. Because, YOU are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Nicotine at 4:11PM, March 31, 2011
(online)
I can't access my comic stats, preferences, ect. through the right dropdown; it's not appearing when I try to drop it down at all. Also, when I click my avatar to get to my profile, it redirects to the main page; when I click on links for my comic “Ni shuo Zhongwen ma?” it does the same (but, the comic was created after January). Basically, I have no direct way of accessing my comics of favorites, I have to dig through my browser history to get the links to them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 4:23PM, March 31, 2011
(offline)
Seconded on the can't access user's pages.

And tried going from Google and the “browse users” but couldn't load the ‘browse users’ page.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
BffSatan at 5:50PM, March 31, 2011
(online)
I think the user page problem has something to do with it searching for the comics instead of the user, I assume because the user sub-domain is broken. If you click mine you end up at my old comic, BffSatan, but the url still says I'm on the user sub-domain. I assume the same would happen for other members who share names with their (or someone elses) comic. E.g. Harkovast.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon