Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Smack Jeeves and Drunk Duck
magickmaker at 8:43AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
I started out on the Duck, but after the diaster, I moved to Smack Jeeves. Now that the Duck is back, I'm hearing discontent from both parties. Aren't we both here to spread laughter (and the occansional murder mystery) throughout the world? What's with the competition?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Zwuh at 8:46AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
There's a competition? What's the prize… winner gets all the sprite comics?
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Enef at 8:47AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
It can't be helped that smackjeeves can't match up, but everyone has their personal favorites and its their choice.

some people prefer comic gen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
sandy at 8:50AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
This is getting waaaay out of hand. Can't we just keep peace between both communities and put this to rest?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Black_Kitty at 8:58AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
I browsed Smack Jeeves' forums and I heard about this competition. The only problem is that it seems pretty one sided to me since I wasn't even aware we were in one. Don't you need the other party to know that you're competing with them in order to have a competition? :P

Both DrunkDuck and Smack Jeeves offer a great service to the webcomic community. I don't see what we're competing about.

.: Black Kitty :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Black_Kitty at 9:20AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
I'm going to double post just to make sure this is pretty clear.

Browsing through their forums again and in particular, their thread about DrunkDuck, I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding. DrunkDuck does not hate Smack Jeeves. The more comic hosting services out there in fact, the merrier. We do not mind if people use both web comic hosts. We're perfectly fine with people moving there (we don't ask for exclusivity in fact.) In short, we're not competing with Smack Jeeves.

People are obviously going to have their perferences and some people will obviously perfer one service over another. It doesn't mean however that one is superior over the other or that one is inferior over the other. All it means is that people have perferences.

So if people at Smack Jeeves are worried about some war or competition with DrunkDuck, they can relax. You need two parties in order to have a war. :)

.: Black Kitty :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Mazoo at 9:27AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
I didn't even know about this war, and I have a site over at SmackJeeves… :?

I'm actually going to have my comic hosted on both. What's wrong with having a mirror? All in all, this war is probably going to be ignored by most people (at least I hope)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
SpANG at 9:42AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
Okay before this gets out of hand, THERE IS NO WAR. I searched the SJ forums for “Drunk Duck” and “war” and nothing rellavant came up. It's just a couple of people that want to start trouble. Most of them are nice people, and just want a place to put their comics. And I am sure that a lot of the comments were in jest, too.

Here's a quote from the site owner of SJ:
Admin
Anyway, can we keep this thread nice? Just because DrunkDuck is a competitor doesn't mean I don't respect them, so I don't want any DrunkDuck bashing in this thread.

He seems like a nice guy. He even told someone he'd be banned for being a jerk if he didn't stop. Also, like BK mentioned, there more than enough room for both areas to exsist. So, let's stop the drama, shall we?
:wink:

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
Enef at 9:53AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
SpANG!
Okay before this gets out of hand, THERE IS NO WAR. I searched the SJ forums for “Drunk Duck” and “war” and nothing rellavant came up. It's just a couple of people that want to start trouble. Most of them are nice people, and just want a place to put their comics. And I am sure that a lot of the comments were in jest, too.

Here's a quote from the site owner of SJ:
Admin
Anyway, can we keep this thread nice? Just because DrunkDuck is a competitor doesn't mean I don't respect them, so I don't want any DrunkDuck bashing in this thread.

He seems like a nice guy. He even told someone he'd be banned for being a jerk if he didn't stop. Also, like BK mentioned, there more than enough room for both areas to exsist. So, let's stop the drama, shall we?
:wink:

That guy is also on these forums, causing a lot of unrest between the DD'ers and himself.

also he has been banned from their forums twice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Ronson at 9:56AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
Yep. There's no war.

I even hesitate to refer to SmackJeeves or ComicsGenesis as “competitors”, as there isn't a whole heck of a lot of money to be made from comic hosting. The worst thing that happens if someone chooses one of the other hosting sites over Drunk Duck is that Drunk Duck doesn't host their comic.

It's important to realize that all of us at Drunk Duck realize that Drunk Duck won't fit every comic artists' needs. Volte6 hopes that a lot of you like what he does, and that your experience is good here. If not, feel free to make suggestions and if it still isn't what you want, move on with the knowledge that you're always welcome to come back or to just hang around.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
magickmaker at 10:20AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
Phew… I'm glad nothing bad's going on… I like both my hosts, and I'm happy that they like, or at very least, tolerate each other. I'm sorry if I stirred things up, I really didn't mean to… :(
ccs1989 at 10:29AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
It's just rivaly. Every so often someone will stir something up, but they're usually ignorant. Anyway, it's all internet drama anyway and shouldn't be paid too much attention to if a ‘war’ starts.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Anonymous at 10:38AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
Oh noooo! I am at BOTH PLACES!!!

does that mean I am fraternizing with the enemy and must therefore be kiltipated?

Oh noooo!

For the whiners and complainers and the troublemaker(s):
“Kiss it, you noobs.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
Office_Zone at 10:40AM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
Whoops.. sorry… that was me as Guest… Thought the system had already logged me in.

ah well. Shall we continue cartooning now, boys and girls?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Cindermain at 12:09PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
Zwuh

That made me laugh SO DAMN HARD…then made me feel DO DAMN GUILTY afterwards.

Good show, you brilliant b@$t@rd.

Black Kitty

Awwwwwwwwww…there go my plans for this Monday at work. :cry:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
spambot at 1:22PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
I think some people just like to try to make a conflict even though there is absolutely no reason for one. I don't really understand the mindset, but there it is.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
zactheninja at 1:26PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
There should be no VS thread, because people then will skim through it and think it's something that it's not :P

SJ is a fine community and Dan (their Admin) was nice enough to let all the DD refugees come and post their comics.

DD is a fine community, and is where my heart lives. Because of the people (I love you guys). And Volte's dedication, heck this place was rebuilt in a week. That takes some personal time. That's not to say there aren't nice people at SJ though.

It's all about the feel. Someone people may have different preferences, but theirs no need to fight about it. I think there's nothing wrong in supporting both however. Both Volte and Dan are nice guys, you won't have trouble from the admins at either place. You might get trouble from anonymous spammers and trolls, but you know. That's life.

I'm glad we're getting along 3
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
Ozoneocean at 1:38PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
Yeah, we get bored of wars too easily… No one can be bothered to work out a proper exit strategy.
I mean, look what happened with the Drunk Duck Vs Comic Gen battles. We were full of piss and vinegar initially, we went in hammer and tongs! I was POSITIVE they were hiding WMD’s in there somewhere…

But we ended up just losing guys for no point. The puppet government we installed there looks pretty shaky. Sure we captured the giant Comic Gen oilfields, but I’m just not convinced it was worth it. Even if it did give us a strategic foothold in the region.

Now, going after Smack Jeeves would be just foolish. We’re over extended with Comic Gen, and even if we are sure Smack Jeeves are developing nukes, the only reason they’d be doing that is to defend themselves from us!

War is hell…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
SpANG at 1:38PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
zactheninja
There should be no VS thread, because people then will skim through it and think it's something that it's not :P

Good point. Taken care of. :D

Cindermain at 1:44PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
Yeah, we get bored of wars too easily… No one can be bothered to work out a proper exit strategy.

:lol: LOL! :P
Hawk at 3:12PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
Drunk Duck is like one of those neutral countries…. I've been in the forum for years, and I never hear people talking smack about other places like Comic Genesis or SmackJeeves. Granted I haven't read every post, but I can safely say there's no real anti-other-hosts sentiment here. We just mind our own business.

Then you get news from other comic hosts about “wars” and “competitions”. What's with that? They're free to have their wars, but they can keep them over in their own area and don't bring them here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Ozoneocean at 3:17PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
If we're neutral, can we have some Nazi war criminals?
It's really not fair if we don't… :cry:
Cindermain at 3:43PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
So we need to harbor the webcomic equivalent to Nazi war criminals?

*sigh*

AGAIN you bring the topic back to sprite comics… :roll: :wink:

And I seem to recall that no-one really gripes about Switzerland in other countries…so that would mean, technically… :shock:

OMG, WE'RE FRANCE!!
Ozoneocean at 4:13PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
Oh la, la Mon Chéri!
magickmaker at 4:34PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
Do we have have to be France or Switzerland(Spelled wrong, I'm sure.) Can't we be, like, Chad or something? (Chad is an African country. No, I'm not making that up.)
Ozoneocean at 5:49PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
magickmaker
Can't we be, like, Chad or something? (Chad is an African country. No, I'm not making that up.)
Still French though I'm afraid… :(
SpANG at 6:22PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
Zwuh

winner?

sandy at 8:19PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
Black Kitty is right! There is NO war between Smack Jeeves or Drunk Duck! Why the heck can't we forget about this and just do what we do best? Make people laugh!? And how did all this garbage start anyway? We're communities that have great people and great services. We're equals and we should just leave it at that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
marine at 8:19PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
I'd like to think that spiderforest is the best place to host a comic off of.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
gigatwo at 8:42PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
I made a mirror for one of my comics (back when I had one), on smack jeeves. It was one of the first 20 or so on the site. I liked it and all, but there was nothing that really drew me in. The admin's cool. It's a community, and all that stuff, but it's not home. Home is where you're food is infested with moths, and you find yourself defending you're belongings from zombies on a daily basis using only a small collection of plasticware. Home, is DD.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon