Random Discussion

Smart floors convert footsteps to free energy
Aurora Moon at 5:18PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hot_stepper/mit-plans-to-steal-your-energy-to-light-public-buildings-282654.php

There's free energy floating around everywhere. The trick is figuring out how to harness it. Some smartypants at MIT are working on a special floor that harnesses energy from footsteps, turning your walking into lighting above your head.

The fancy, efficient floors could be used in commuter-heavy areas like airports or shopping malls, helping cut down on energy consumption and making such places more self-reliant. The floors will feel a bit different than normal floors however, depressing a bit when stepped on. The effect will feel like walking on solid sand, so we'll have to wait and see if that odd sensation will prevent people from installing it. Somehow I think that if it saves money, people will get over sinking in a bit with each step.

I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
vgman at 7:24PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
every one get out your po-go sticks ;)

somthing like this would cost a fortune though.
RIP TD :cry2:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:40PM
BiasJamsHoleNCrown at 8:14PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
Hopefully technology will get cheaper and this sort of thing won't be so costly in the near-future. I think it's a good idea, but I don't think the walking-in-sand is that great, it could be a safety hazard (can someone say lawsuit?) so they might have to work on that a bit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved