Debate and Discussion

So my U.S. Government teacher put 'Jap' on the board but...
Skullbie at 7:08PM, March 24, 2008
(online)
Okay here's the story:

I was sitting in my U.S. gov class taking notes on pearl harbor when my teacher, Mr.G, abbreviated Japanese to ‘Jap’ on the board….a weird feeling kinda settled in the room.
Now keep in mind I'm the normal, apathetic teenage girl with bigger troubles on my head then getting huffy about a derogatory term written on the board but….

He then went on to tell a story about how a Japanese-American student took great offense to him doing that, and the japanese student was very upset by the racist term ‘jap’ on the board. But you know the worst part?

Mr. G not only didn't take the five lousy seconds to try and write out the full ‘Japanese’(srsly how long could that take?!) he started talking about the boy like he was an idiot and had no right to correct Mr. G because Mr. G was not a racist and Jap has not been a racist term since WWII.

Keep in mind this Mr.G has been teaching for over 30 years and is a well respected teacher of many students, but my god could he be so stubborn as to not want to change his silly abbreviation to calm down a Japanese student?

So:
I don't think Mr. G is a racist, I was just wondering how such a respected teacher could be such a lazy dumbass. (He's ALWAYS preaching about respecting his students too)
Guess I'll wait till he writes ‘Beaner’ and ‘Nigger’ on the board so It'll be serious. :/

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
StaceyMontgomery at 8:33PM, March 24, 2008
(offline)
It seems to me that many people consider that to be a universal defense - If they say “I am not racist” or “I don't mean this to be racist” they can say any racist thing they want without criticism.

My mother said “never attribute to malice what can just as easily be explained by stupidity.” So I tend to assume that they are a bit stupid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
pastel at 9:44PM, March 24, 2008
(online)
I think the teacher might've simply felt threatened. If I had seen “Jap” written on the board, I would've initially assumed it to be an abbreviation much as “Mex” is for Mexican and “Brit” is for British. It is a far cry from beaner and nigger, which require effort to detract from their non-slanderous counterparts.

But anyway, I think he probably got offended that he was labeled racist for merely writing a shortened version of a word. He behaved like a trapped animal however, and obviously didn't think it through because as your story suggests, he just dug himself a deeper hole.

I just think he should be given the benefit of the doubt. Like you said, he's been well-respected for 30 years. One event shouldn't label him stupid and stubborn for the rest of his life.
. K.A.L.A.-dan! Fujoshi! Mafia MASS MURDERER! Kitty and Pastel :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:40PM
subcultured at 1:10AM, March 25, 2008
(online)
“coon” hasn't really been a racist word for a while, yet it still has impact to it. IMO he was wrong and ignorant.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
DAJB at 1:40AM, March 25, 2008
(online)
pastel
I think the teacher might've simply felt threatened. If I had seen “Jap” written on the board, I would've initially assumed it to be an abbreviation much as “Mex” is for Mexican and “Brit” is for British. It is a far cry from beaner and nigger, which require effort to detract from their non-slanderous counterparts.

But anyway, I think he probably got offended that he was labeled racist for merely writing a shortened version of a word. He behaved like a trapped animal however, and obviously didn't think it through because as your story suggests, he just dug himself a deeper hole.

I just think he should be given the benefit of the doubt. Like you said, he's been well-respected for 30 years. One event shouldn't label him stupid and stubborn for the rest of his life.
Ditto.

Some people just go out of their way to take offence even when it's quite clear that none was intended.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Hawk at 9:24AM, March 25, 2008
(online)
Yeah, I agree with Pastel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
6116 Taboo at 10:00AM, March 25, 2008
(offline)
I also agree with what Pastel said.

To be honest, I wish people would just ignore racist remarks. After all, it's a reaction that they want. Most times when someone says something that they didn't mean to be racist, they think the person who accused them of being racist rude and ignorant.

Probably not in this teacher's case, where he probably didn't want to write the whole word ‘Japanese’ on the board. Might've been a way to save time?
::Taboo:: Updated M/W/F.
“Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?” -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
crazyninny at 12:48PM, March 25, 2008
(online)
subcultured
“coon” hasn't really been a racist word for a while, yet it still has impact to it. IMO he was wrong and ignorant.

Whats a coon?

I doubt Mr. G isn't racist, if he preaches it all the time, but won't take the time to write out Japanese, then he might at least have some prejudices.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
Skullbie at 3:55PM, March 25, 2008
(online)
Ah, I suppose even with his high respect and experience Mr.G can't get it right all the time. :)
The only reason I even mention it is because of his reputation.Quite a few other teachers make plain racist remarks(usually jokingly to Mexican students who disrupt class) but it's not treated as a big deal at my school.

In any case I didn't take into account that when in a sticky situation the obvious answer has a tendency to not appear, and people act stupid.

mishi_hime at 2:35AM, March 26, 2008
(offline)
If you're too lazy to write “anese” despite the fact you know it might hurt someone means you just don't give a fuck about other people. Which makes me just a little bit sick inside…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:03PM
rabidmochi at 3:30AM, March 26, 2008
(offline)
I think that the Japanese kid was either being too sensitive, or he just secretly hated the teacher and wanted him to get in trouble.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
Aurora Moon at 8:38AM, March 26, 2008
(offline)
mishi_hime
If you're too lazy to write “anese” despite the fact you know it might hurt someone means you just don't give a fuck about other people. Which makes me just a little bit sick inside…

Yeah, I agree. I could easily write “Japanese” as a whole word in like 5 to ten seconds. He haa to be a really SLOW writer if he was actually just shortening it to save time, like he claimed…

It's one thing to shorten words if they don't have an contextal slur against people. But it's another thing to know that the shortened word holds an racism slur to it, and still shortening it anyway just to “save time”.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
lothar at 8:53AM, March 26, 2008
(online)
i'm curious how many american teachers would be too lazy to finish writing the word “american” ?
see, by shortening the word you are, in a way, saying “those other people , those un-americans are not as important as us” it shows a common disrespect most americans have toward other countries and their people …
so he might be correct in saying he is not a racist , but he is prolly a damned nationalist.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Hawk at 10:05AM, March 26, 2008
(online)
Nah, I'm sure he and many other people would write “USA” if they were feeling lazy or lacked chalkboard space.
dueeast at 12:34PM, March 28, 2008
(online)
What intrigues/irritates me is that he bothered to take the time to tell that story of his superiority when he's in such a hurry to abbreviate a stupid word. huh!?

Doesn't add up to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
lothar at 2:31PM, March 28, 2008
(online)
nah , he's clearly a racist
Skullbie at 6:18PM, March 28, 2008
(online)
lothar
it shows a common disrespect most americans have toward other countries and their people …

Well saying that makes you no better than Mr.G or any other ‘rude-American’. That's as true as saying most Japanese say ‘me luv u long time!’ or most Mexicans ride lowriders-it's not true and only the ignorant believe it.

But back to the story, Mr.G may indeed have a bit of racism in him, for example he got pretty rowdy about black slaves voting before women (he's quite for womens rights) His comments were nicely veiled inside his respect for women ‘You see that ladies? Slaves get to vote before you! What a male chauvinistic pig society right?! hah!’

But then if I think about most comments about a persons race at my school, they are NEVER aimed at a person -only the stereotypes of that race.

BUT this thread wasn't really supposed to be about racism so…>.>

Dark Clown at 7:33PM, March 28, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
But back to the story, Mr.G may indeed have a bit of racism in him, for example he got pretty rowdy about black slaves voting before women (he's quite for womens rights) His comments were nicely veiled inside his respect for women ‘You see that ladies? Slaves get to vote before you! What a male chauvinistic pig society right?! hah!’

Umm him saying that Right there kinda Tells Us that underneath it all, Even unknown to Mr.G there are smacks of Racism as you said. but that can't realy be helped alot of the time.

We See Racism on the same page as Stupid. for many reasons.
and you can't Fix Stupid.

None the less, all of this could of been avoided if he keep his foolish and inapropriat coments to him self while teaching the class. and maybe used his brain and done what we do when we don't want to take the simple time to write out Japanese.. We just put JP. same if you are looking up a Japanese website. www. yadayada .jp.com or what have you. Then again it still could of been taken badly.

But that depends on personal opinion. the fact that he went on to explane it when it was not nessasary, was a varry dumb move. (humans can be so foolish)

By the Goddess we wrote alot of crap dident we.
You all may call us a Idiot when ready.

This Fluid feels like Pain, This stoic mood is all in vain.
I reach into the dark, I tear this other me apart.
How many years ago, How many deaths I can't let go.
My Flesh Is Temporary, My God Extraordinary.
You… can''t… Kill… My… MIND!!!!!

The War Will continue, Just on a different battle field
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:06PM
lothar at 3:22AM, March 29, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
lothar
it shows a common disrespect most americans have toward other countries and their people …

Well saying that makes you no better than Mr.G or any other ‘rude-American’. That's as true as saying most Japanese say ‘me luv u long time!’ or most Mexicans ride lowriders-it's not true and only the ignorant believe it.

uh wut ? HOW ? i don't understand why you would put the words “common” and “most” in bold and then say that . see , that is exactly why i didn't use the words “complete” and “all”
but what is the difference realy? i mean , whats wrong with making generalizations about a group of people ?

EDIT - i removed the middle part of my post because it made no sense

so … to answer the original question- Yes .. your history teacher is a Racist ! all americans are . we were programmed to be that way , i believe they call it patriotism now

dueeast at 7:34AM, March 29, 2008
(online)
“All americans are racist? We were programmed to be that way?” Blanket statements are ALWAYS wrong. I can tell you that I was specifically “programmed” NOT to be racist by my father. And as a result, I am a much better person.

So although I know you're speaking from your perspective and not to me in particular, I do take some offense at that generalization because it is a terrible assumption.

lothar
so … to answer the original question- Yes .. your history teacher is a Racist ! all americans are . we were programmed to be that way , i believe they call it patriotism now
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Hawk at 1:31PM, March 29, 2008
(online)
Yeah, I hate blanket statements. All my life I've had people telling me I'm racist via blanket statements like “You're all racist”, “We're all racist”, and “White people are racist.” Well I say that's bull. I say that making blanket statements is racist because you're making a generalization just like a racist person would.
Skullbie at 2:06AM, March 30, 2008
(online)
lothar
all americans are . we were programmed to be that way , i believe they call it patriotism now

O okai i gess all humans think abut having homosexual relations . we were programmed to be that way , i believe they call it human nature now

See that statement is like me trying to say everyone is bisexual-not very true at all. (in my fantasys maybe >:3 )

Well said Hawk, lothar is trying to feel better about his warped racist views so he pretends all the others are that way too. That or is wanting attention since he knows racism riles people up. (now that's a generalization!)

No point of this discussion anyways, you can't change someones views on risky subject matter.

lothar at 6:47AM, March 30, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
lothar
all americans are . we were programmed to be that way , i believe they call it patriotism now
Well said Hawk, lothar is trying to feel better about his warped racist views so he pretends all the others are that way too.

Wut ? MY warped racist veiws? where? where did i ever say something racist ?
i made a statment about americans , american is not a race, it is a nationality. a racist nation that has always survived through the murder and enslavement of others. in 1800 it was the Native Americans and the Africans, Now it is the Iraqis and the Chinese . but it is easier to ignore it and focus on your own individual feelings , is it enough for you to feel happy that you love all peoples . you keep paying your taxes and your government uses that money to kill around the globe, the cheap products that fill your home were made by slave labor, and soon the ethanol to fuel your car will be causing a family somewhere to starve ! anyone who turns a blind eye to this is a racist in my opinion !
Skullbie at 10:36AM, March 30, 2008
(online)
it would be smarter for me to ignore this trash heap comment, but now I'm just plain offended at the ignorance of it all- but I suppose I'm more ignorant for actually replying u.u

lothar
Wut ? MY warped racist veiws? where? where did i ever say something racist ?
Haha oh wow.
lothar
i made a statment about americans , american is not a race, it is a nationality.
Way to justify it, it's not a race so it's perfectly fine to make horrible statments about all it's people? It's going to be treated the same way as saying something bad about Black people- we are many races, nationalitys, and people combined into an American person, but look at what you wrote:
lothar
a racist nation that has always survived through the murder and enslavement of others. in 1800 it was the Native Americans and the Africans, Now it is the Iraqis and the Chinese . but it is easier to ignore it and focus on your own individual feelings you keep paying your taxes and your government uses that money to kill around the globe, the cheap products that fill your home were made by slave labor, and soon the ethanol to fuel your car will be causing a family somewhere to starve !, is it enough for you to feel happy that you love all peoples .
The point of this argument was that your blanket statement was untrue- you just proved it wrong yourself :). Not ALL Americans feel that way. You can't blame every individual for the problems of our Nation. Hell Those countries treat their own citizens worse than we are in war. :/ (Seriously look at what they do to slaves/women in iraq, look how they treat their workers in China)
lothar
anyone who turns a blind eye to this is a racist in my opinion !
lol! Your opinion. Precisely. But that's perfectly ok.

The internet is a great thing, you can voice your opinion on anything and not care at all. In a classroom or anywhere else those statements and you would be bashed ruthlessly-Because it's a horrible, personal thing to put on the shoulders of an innocent individual.

lothar at 11:30AM, March 30, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
it's a horrible, personal thing to put on the shoulders of an innocent individual.

Who's innocent here ? are you a child ? Nobody is innocent under the flag. the flag is the blanket , so i will make a blanket statement about the people sleeping under the blanket !

its clear from your statements about Iraq and China that you have no idea what is going on .
Iraq was one of the most liberal of the middle eastern countries , before the americans bombed them into the stone age .i can see where you might have gotten it confused with Afganistan ; the americans supported the taliban when they were fighting the russians btw. and those slaves in China are mostly working in american owned factories !
btw , you were making generalizations about the Iraqis and the Chinese there ,
how is it that americans can see with razor precision every speck in their neighbors eye and not the flaming log in their own ?
anyway ..
i am so sick of americans saying things like “You can't blame every individual for the problems of our Nation”
i sure as hell can ! it's a democracy isn't it ?
it's your duty as a citizen to know what is realy going on and make some noise about it, instead of minding your own buisiness and eating the garbage that the mainstream media feeds you !

but this is way off topic and i suggest if you wish to continue this argument , you can start another thread or pq me , i don't realy care , and i have to pee
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 7:59PM, April 3, 2008
(offline)
You know who get really offended by racism against minorities? White people.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
PIT_FACE at 12:34PM, April 5, 2008
(online)
the event could be interpreted a hundred different ways.

what gets me is that he'd been talking about it 5 years later still on the defensive.that's what'd raise my eyebrow.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Kohdok at 12:48AM, April 7, 2008
(online)
Atom Apple
You know who get really offended by racism against minorities? White people.

Oh please. There's plenty of majority racism, too. I've felt my fair share being a white male. People automatically assume I'm snobby, spoiled, judgemental, condescending, ignorant, and haven't worked an honest day in my life. I'm the one who knows otherwise in this case.

It does bug me that the teacher went into detail about how his “time-saving” abbreviation once offended somebody. However, it strikes me more as what I call “Master-of-the-universe” syndrome. People like that think any comment about the way they think is an attack on their person and will go as far as necessary to squash it out rather than consider that they might be wrong. It is a huge perpetuator of ignorance, fear, and prejudice in this world.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
Calbeck at 2:41AM, April 7, 2008
(offline)
I recall someone flipping out when I used the term ‘Japanimation’ — which was a term that predated the common Western use of ‘anime’. They read it as ‘Jap Animation’, when in reality it's simply ‘Japan’ and ‘Animation’ run together.

Not that this has a heckuva lot to do with a teacher actually arguing that ‘Jap’ is not a racist term — it isn't, it's condescending. ‘Japanese’ is not a race, it's a nationality (although many Japanese national-supremacists will argue otherwise). ‘Jap’ had the same weight and intent as ‘Kraut’, ‘Limey’ and ‘Yank’.

lothar
Iraq was one of the most liberal of the middle eastern countries , before the americans bombed them into the stone age

Yeah, sure, liberal in the way that 1950 Texas was liberal compared to 1950 Alabama. Then again, the Hussein regime was certainly liberal with the use of chemical agents against the Iraqi people, so perhaps that's what you meant.

i can see where you might have gotten it confused with Afganistan ; the americans supported the taliban when they were fighting the russians btw.

Actually, the Taliban were primarily funded and supported by Pakistan, coming to power in 1996. The US directly opposed the Taliban through support for their opposition, the Northern Alliance, and only three nations (Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and the UAE) ever accorded the Taliban recognition as a legitimate government.

From Wiki: “Though there is no evidence that the CIA directly supported the Taliban or Al Qaeda, some basis for military support of the Taliban was provided when, in the early 1980s, the CIA and the ISI (Pakistan's Interservices Intelligence Agency) provided arms to Afghans resisting the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and the ISI assisted the process of gathering radical Muslims from around the world to fight against the Soviets.”

and those slaves in China are mostly working in american owned factories !

Actually, China does not allow any outside interests to “own” anything in China. All factories, as per proper Communist dogma, are owned by the state on behalf of the people, and so all the slavery going on is Chinese-arranged “for the benefit of all”. Just as has been the case with all Chinese factories since Mao took power.

All of which is completely off-topic, but what the hey…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:33PM, April 7, 2008
(offline)
Kohdok
Oh please. There's plenty of majority racism, too. I've felt my fair share being a white male. People automatically assume I'm snobby, spoiled, judgemental, condescending, ignorant, and haven't worked an honest day in my life. I'm the one who knows otherwise in this case.

I said nothing of majority racism. We're the ones expected to keep everything fine for the other people… by each other. Which is just stupid. I'm surprised the Japanese boy actually cared. Probably just fishing for ways to cause problems.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved