Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

So You Want To Make A Sprite Comic?
Shintouku at 10:49AM, Oct. 22, 2006
(offline)
Ok, almost everyone has tried making a sprite comic ones or twice but gave up because the commments were horrid. Don't blame the users. If your comic flat out sucks then it sucks, nuff said. The only thing that will make it better is practice. First of all, try to be original. there are about a thousand megaman and sonic sprite comics out there already. Mario is slightly over used as well. It would be different if people were drawing some but there are only 2 hand drawn megaman comics. here are some guide lines:
1. No paint drawn backgrounds. They make your eyes bleed.
2. If your making a recolor, don't just invert the colors or mix'n match. Stick with one color.
3. Try and give your characters some vocabulary.
4. For speech bubbles, make your bubble first then type. Don't have the text touching the edge of the bubble.
5. Don't give your comic the same plot line that the game had, be original.
6. ABSOLUTLY NO L33T TALK. THAT MEANS, NO “LOL ROFL WTF LMAO OMG” etc.
7.save the comic as a png. NO JPEG. less pixely that way.
8.the borders don't really have to be black. You could make your own borders but don't make them white.
9. Please oh please learn how to spell!! if you can't spell a word….SPELL CHECK, or even dictionary.com.
10. don't have ur characters standing in the same position for more than 2 panels it makes you seem lazy.
11. don't over use curse words. 3 maximum per comic is enough to get the point across.
12. grammar. I read this actuall sentence in a comic. “but if you cant we save him go.”
You should be alright if you stick to those rules.
aw dag i messed it up

PorQ me
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Rich at 11:32AM, Oct. 22, 2006
(online)
Someone
1. No paint drawn backgrounds. They make your eyes bleed.

What you mean is not two-tone MSpaint backgrounds. Those are the eye-bleeding ones.

Someone
2. If your making a recolor, don't just invert the colors or mix'n match. Stick with one color.

Recolors are tacky as hell to begin with. You should not use them at all. Now if we're talking adding/changing clothes and other features, then it's all cool.

Someone
3. Try and give your characters some vocabulary.

Correct.

Someone
4. For speech bubbles, make your bubble first then type. Don't have the text touching the edge of the bubble.

In the famous words of Lex Luthor, WRONG! You type up your text, and THEN you make the bubble! This prevents the mess of having way too much blank bubble space on the comic.

Someone
5. Don't give your comic the same plot line that the game had, be original.

Agreed.

Someone
6. ABSOLUTLY NO L33T TALK. THAT MEANS, NO “LOL ROFL WTF LMAO OMG” etc.

I disagree here. 1337 can be used in humorous ways in comics, it's just difficult to pull the gags off.

Someone

Agreed.

Someone
8.the borders don't really have to be black. You could make your own borders but don't make them white.

I fully disagree here. The borders should ALWAYS be black. Black is a recessive color that makes the comic appear solid and strong. No other color can mimic this effectively.

Someone
9. Please oh please learn how to spell!! if you can't spell a word….SPELL CHECK, or even dictionary.com.

You may wish to do this to your posts. But yes, I agree.

Someone
10. don't have ur characters standing in the same position for more than 2 panels it makes you seem lazy.

Agreed.

Someone
11. don't over use curse words. 3 maximum per comic is enough to get the point across.

Disagree! Excessive cursing is hilarious and can be quite funny in the hands of the right person. Add all the fucks, shits, cocks, and cunts you want!

Someone
12. grammar. I read this actuall sentence in a comic. “but if you cant we save him go.”
You should be alright if you stick to those rules.

This is such an important one! Bad grammar does more than make you look stupid. It makes your comic nigh impossible to understand.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Shintouku at 11:53AM, Oct. 22, 2006
(offline)
4. There are many ways to make speech bubbles. I like my way better.
5. Im talking in terms of the whole strip being in l33t. i hate that.
8. Well then we must agree to disagree. go to this link. http://www.bobandgeorge.com/Fancomics/Gamer/Gamer.html
This guy pulls off making his own borders and they look nice.
11. Why you god damn mother fuckin bitch ass slut, you better agree with me!! see? thats not needed. I personaly think people who can not curse in there comics are better than others.
aw dag i messed it up

PorQ me
Rich at 1:47PM, Oct. 22, 2006
(online)
Someone
4. There are many ways to make speech bubbles. I like my way better

It's less efficient. You may prefer it, but that doesn't make it better.

Someone
5. Im talking in terms of the whole strip being in l33t. i hate that.

Oh. In that case I think we can all agree. But who the hell makes the whole strip in 1337?

Someone
8. Well then we must agree to disagree. go to this link. http://www.bobandgeorge.com/Fancomics/Gamer/Gamer.html
This guy pulls off making his own borders and they look nice.

Those panels look soft and weak. They are also too skinny.

Someone
11. Why you god damn mother fuckin bitch ass slut, you better agree with me!! see? thats not needed. I personaly think people who can not curse in there comics are better than others.

Nobody uses that kind of cursing. Even in the most profane comic strips, noone is stupid enough to write a comic like that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
kingofsnake at 9:12AM, Oct. 24, 2006
(online)
excessive cursing CAN be ok, if it's done well. but usually its not.

You can't limit cursing to just dropping an f-bomb alot, you need to be creative with your cursing, have a large vocabulary of curse words. vary it up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
skoolmunkee at 12:26AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Take Mom of Mom's Friendly Robots Company, for example.

Cram a bastard in it, you craps! (tripleslap)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Knuckles at 9:12AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
I personally prefer not to severe cursing in my comics… What's the point? it just wastes text space, imo.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Shintouku at 4:54AM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
i thought of another one!! having your sprite characters standing still but not putting them in the same place in each panel. its hard if you don't know what your doing.
aw dag i messed it up

PorQ me
Mimarin at 1:13PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
shinthingywotzit
This is correct, but for the wrong reason, PNG is, if anything MORE pixely than JPEG. the reason comics, and particually sprite comics should be portable network graphics is because the preserve the sharpness of the image and have no compression artifacts, the individual pixels will remain exactly how you placed them and will be well defined and visible.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
CreativeInsanity at 9:00PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(online)
There's too much to reply to here, so I'll try and keep it simple. Some of these ‘rules’ make sense. Others just make it sound as if you're trying to quash what little creativity is involved in the comics themselves. For example, restrictions of what sort of language should be used in the comics? Puhlease. There are some characers for whom excessive cursing is suited. As for Grammar? Dude, you really need to to work on your own before you start ragging on others.

Sorry, if I sound a little agressive; that's not my intent. I blame a nasty head cold.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
Corvin at 9:57PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(offline)
Mimarin
This is correct, but for the wrong reason, PNG is, if anything MORE pixely than JPEG.

so true.

Corvin
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
strong414bad at 12:57PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
The only time I ever use white borders is when the background is solid black. Other than that, I use black all the time. I guess people can be border racists some times.
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved