Comic Talk and General Discussion *

So... DrunkDuck eh? Sounds cool...
Will at 6:51AM, Aug. 14, 2010
(online)
I loved this website for a long time, but unfortunately I just eventually stopped coming. After the whole platinum buyout, constant bugs and the condemning of DD's Top Drawer, eventually there was nothing worth me sticking around for.

how long has it been? 2 years? at LEAST one and a half, and i hear from a friend that they're making a cowboys and aliens movie. ‘well shit.’ i thought to myself, i guess i gave up on Platinum a little to early. Back in the #drunkduck irc room, back when people would actually go in there, we used to have a betting system going on whether PS studios stock would go up or down every week. eventually it hit something like .003 cents and just stopped. We all contemplated buying some up for a laugh but never did. Very unfortunate really, none of us expected PS to actually deliver.

My point is, after i heard about the movie, i rushed back to drunkduck, thinking to myself ‘my god, if PS managed to get their fingers unstuck for long enough to organise a movie with some REALLY GOOD actors in it, maybe they did something with the site while i was gone!’

well… i get here and… well it LOOKS the same. exactly the same forum, exactly the same comics on the top comics list, exactly the same bugs… hmm…

so, people of DD, or whats left of you, has this site gotten better? or is she the same old girl under the bonnet aswell? what about the community? are the top players still the same? is ozone still going round commenting on every post on the forum? (jesus, he must have like 50,000 posts by now)

so, DD, whats up?
Will
putting your own quote into your sig is the post pretentious and pathetic thing anyone could ever do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
Ozoneocean at 7:25AM, Aug. 14, 2010
(online)
only 21K unfortunately. :(
I mainly stick around General Discussion now.

Platinum doesn't own DD any longer. It's now owned by Wowio, who are separate from Plat- I know, I met the boss, Brian, in San Diego a few weeks ago, during comic con, during a party, on a yacht. :)
…Also a pub called The Tipsy Crow,

Plus I met all the staff and programmers handling us. Various changes are coming, currently in the planning stages.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Product Placement at 7:45AM, Aug. 14, 2010
(online)
Will
is ozone still going round commenting on every post on the forum? (jesus, he must have like 50,000 posts by now)
ozoneocean
Let me answer this one…
Not really helping your case there, Oz lol!

Funny enough, I remember you, Will, from the time I was just starting out here on Drunk Duck. That avatar of yours made me laugh for hours (I suppose I'm just that simple minded ;)).

The community is slightly smaller now for two reasons that I can point out. For one, allot of people didn't trust Platinum, especially after couple of scandals, like the one that happened with Hero by Night. Apparently the artist behind that comic had signed a contract with Platinum and wasn't happy with the lack of money he was getting out of the deal. He talked openly about it and it ended up getting his contract canceled. This painted Platinum as a greedy and uncaring company to some. Another thing was when the Top Drawer was shut down but allot of people, who were coming over here, specifically to check out that subforum left when that happened. Incidentally, there are hardly any trolls, roaming around here now, after their prime feeding grounds has been closed off.

Not much has happened at all, during the reign of Emperor Platinum but like Ozone mentioned, there was a buyout a short while ago, when Wowio left Platinum and took Drunk Duck with them. I can only assume that this will be positive news for the Platinum haters out there. While Wowio hasn't done much as of yet, they've voiced huge interest in improving the site and are as of now, encouraging Drunk Duck users to create media content that can be used to advertize their comics in this new internet show of theirs (WowioTV). I would recommend sticking around and seeing what they'll end up doing.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Ozoneocean at 7:56AM, Aug. 14, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
like the one that happened with Hero by Night. Apparently the artist behind that comic had signed a contract with Platinum and wasn't happy with the lack of money he was getting out of the deal. He talked openly about it and it ended up getting his contract canceled.
Not true

DJ quit.
His reason was that he wasn't being paid on a timely manner.

There was no actual scandal there. People made it seem like one when they learned that Hero By Night was still the property of Platinum and not DJ. But the fact is that this had always been the case.
In the end it was another fake webcomics scandal. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Product Placement at 8:58AM, Aug. 14, 2010
(online)
Well, I remembered hearing something about him stating details about his salary which was a breach of contract or something. I didn't pay much attention to it other then that I was unhappy about the fact that the comic got canceled. I just figured that both parties were to blame, since they couldn't figure out a way to work together anymore.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Warpedwenger at 12:17PM, Aug. 14, 2010
(offline)
I've been away for about 6 months all this stuff is new to me as well. It sounds promising. If they fix things up around here it'll be good news for all of us. Let's keep out fingers crossed XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:47PM
skoolmunkee at 3:41PM, Aug. 14, 2010
(offline)
Yes, some of the older community members just trickled away for various reasons. I dunno if I could point at too many specific things, but I know that some big bugs/reoccurring problems we had must have driven some away. (Hey, anyone else notice the ‘image bug’ is totally gone? eh?!) Overall the site traffic and membership have increased, but it's just not coming together into a community real well anymore.

To their credit Wowio actually has done quite a bit to try and inject some liveliness here and get some projects started. I think everyone now is just waiting and watching- Platinum was quite interested at first too, but after a couple months of changes that was it for years. People probably don't want to get their hopes up again. :[
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Randal at 5:10PM, Aug. 14, 2010
(offline)
I love that avatar. Once upon a time I dared him to get a Lazytown avatar and he dug up that awesome bit of innuendo.

I've noticed a few changes since Wowio took over, like the new update thinger-bobber and that the Wowio employees actually comment in the forums (though, at first, the Platinum folks did too…)

One thing I'd like to see changed is the forum, which is currently sorely missing some rather common/basic forum features (such as a search feature or a post preview)

Another minor difference is that I make a comic now… as in one that actually updates… =O
(I know, right?! )
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
ksteak at 10:17PM, Aug. 14, 2010
(offline)
Will's an emo fag.

skoolmunkee
To their credit Wowio actually has done quite a bit to try and inject some liveliness here and get some projects started. I think everyone now is just waiting and watching- Platinum was quite interested at first too, but after a couple months of changes that was it for years. People probably don't want to get their hopes up again. :[

It's just aswell the Wowio takeover was low key. Platinum came in and promised the world then left us to rot, that was my gripe with them.

Awell, that's the internet for ya. If you want something done right, then self host.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
BffSatan at 5:47AM, Aug. 15, 2010
(online)
A lot has changed, for example I showed up and became ridiculously popular.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Product Placement at 7:11AM, Aug. 15, 2010
(online)
Randal
(such as a search feature or a post preview)
Yes!
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon