Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

So... Titles?
Syndactyly at 1:03AM, Sept. 25, 2009
(offline)
Yeah. That's the hardest part for me in writing a story! Coming up with a decent title…

A title usually points to something significant in the story, or represents the story as a whole. My current project is just all over the place (I am worried this might make it hard to follow and not a good story, we'll have to see how that works out) so I honestly can't think of a word or short phrase to represent it all… And I don't want to be cliche and find a word that means “many” or “diverse” or “all over the place”, lulz.

So… how did you name your story?

I'm sure there's no right way to do it… I originally thought of just naming the story after one of the main characters, but I don't want it to be all about him… but then again he is central to the story. UGHHHHH I DONNO. I'm so indecisive. That's bad in an artist/writer, so I hear.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
humorman at 1:20AM, Sept. 25, 2009
(offline)
You should make your title “BIGABLANG – AIN'T NO LIE!”

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Syndactyly at 2:28AM, Sept. 25, 2009
(offline)
I LOL'D.

Yes, that would be perfectly fitting for such a dark manga. xD
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
GracehFaceh at 8:14AM, Sept. 25, 2009
(online)
I agree, titles are the hardest part. I tend to think up good comic names but forget them, or they don't match with the story at all. I get a lot of story titles from science class for some strange reason. I'm trying to remember the one I thought up only a couple of days ago that I thought was awesome, but it escapes me at the moment…

Anywho, my comic's name has changed many times over the years. I eventually stuck with New America because it's where the story takes place. I try not to get too stuck on the story title anymore since it's not very important. I also try not to do anything long winded either, because then it comes out sounding like a comedy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Custard Trout at 1:32PM, Sept. 25, 2009
(offline)
Maybe you could you name it after the area the story takes place in?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Aurora Borealis at 1:53PM, Sept. 25, 2009
(online)
Usually I have no problem with naming things. From time to time there's something I'll get stuck on (like the Djinn project where I found out there's a French graphic novel titled Djinn already and I can't find a good replacement title yet), but generally it's easy.

Oh, if you come up with good titles? Note them down quickly, even if they don't fit the project. Someday they might be handy, perhaps even give you a great idea for a new comic OR for a new chapter of the comic you're working on. You never know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Friedenmann at 2:45PM, Sept. 25, 2009
(online)
I only had trouble naming one of my projects. Other often are born just because I though up the title:)

I often do have trouble finding decent names for comic chapters:( It helps to write the complete script to them first.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
usedbooks at 9:03PM, Sept. 25, 2009
(online)
Short and catchy. Avoid character names. They make it feel trite. (That's just my personal opinion.)

And make sure at least one word in the title is longer than 3 letters. DrunkDuck search feature only works with words 4+ letters long.

Aside from that, I have no advice. My brother comes up with titles for me. :-P

(Btw, if you use any common search words/phrases, you'll get some accidental traffic from Google.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
ToniusTobinus at 6:39PM, Sept. 30, 2009
(offline)
Hours and hours of mental anguish and frustration, a pile of crumpled pages, a bruise on my forehead that matches the dent in the wall.

Naming does not come easily to me, and I can only think of one occurrance in my life where an entire story was built around a title, and it wasn't worth publishing. I'm very particular about accurately representing the story.

Something that helps me is a double-whammy of research and deconstruction. Research the subject matter of your story, if it's based on anything in reality. Maybe you'll find a word along the way, or at least get on the right track. Also, really pick apart your story - what is the theme? what was the inspiration? Are you making something that reminds you of your childhood love of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? What worked about that title? Its absurdity? The way it spells out exactly what you're looking at in the protagonists? (Spongebob Squarepants was also effective this way - in fact, I'm pretty sure they added “Sponge” because a test audience thought he was cheese).

Finally, go at it from every angle. The time period, the characters, their jobs, their powers… anything you can think of. Throw it all on the wall and see what sticks. It sounds like a cop-out to say you'll know the title when you stumble on it, but more accurately you should find yourself with a narrowed down list of possibilities.

At least that's how the process works for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:32PM
Gillespie at 9:00PM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
It is tough, I will say that. When I finish drawing something for my comic, I give it a file name that I will be able to remember what is the content. I go for the main character, the topic, the “feel” (dramatic, scary, dull), place, those kinds of things. Those kinds seem to come to me very quickly,
but THE title is a different story.

Hm. Something that makes your comic sound appealing, while giving a pinch of info at least of what it's about while not having too many syllables.
I remember scanning through and someone said write down all the title ideas, no matter how good or bad. I would absolutely do that. Crap does eventually become fertilizer for plants, ya know :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Larry at 12:13AM, Oct. 17, 2009
(online)
Filenames: YYYY-MM-DD.png

Names of projects: Not so easy. It would help to look at reoccurring themes or motifs in the piece and name the story wither directly after that or something related.

Overall it just comes down to “is it easy to remember, is it easy to pronounce?” to an extent it's about having something catchy for the audience.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
ERasER at 8:53AM, Oct. 17, 2009
(online)
Well in this case, the title of my comics is usually most relevant for what the comic is about. Is there anything central to the comic? - Like a theme or object, if so I'd suggest naming it after that
BackSeat Gamers
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Otto Germain at 4:17PM, Oct. 17, 2009
(offline)
Names can be tricky for me… sometimes they come instantly, other times I have to agonize over them. Doesn't help that I'm overly OCD with many parts of my art routine.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
WinterSoldier at 10:12AM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
I like to have at least two words and three syllables for titles.

Make sure it's easy to pronounce. If you have trouble pronouncing the name of your own comic then you know you have a problem. xD

Also make sure you Google your title to make sure no one else has had the same idea. That way you know your title is unique and that other people will easily be able to Google your comic if you tell them its title.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
elektro at 5:53PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
Titles are very hard to come up with for me. Most of the time, I just cop out and use the main character's name for the comic (“Bad Apple”, “Stick Man”). Other times, when I feel clever enough, I'll name the comic after an underlying theme (“Psych Ward” because of the random insanity that comes forth in comic form, “Negligence” because of the adults that are neglectful morons).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Ametan at 9:40PM, Oct. 24, 2009
(online)
Titles are so hard…

For Fan Service, I thought up the title first for a drawing class that I was taking at the time and the story came after.

For other projects… I tend to pick my friends' brains a lot. I'm pretty lucky that I've got some well read and imaginative friends who help me nice sounding titles.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved