Comic Talk and General Discussion *

So... why that name?
Eviltwinpixie at 2:54PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Sometimes people have really interesting stories behind their usernames, and I love to hear them.

Mine's not so interesting. I signed up for a forum (where I met my husband) when I was 16 under a totally different name. I posted a photo of myself and one person said I looked like a pixie. My nickname from then has been Pixie (or Pix to those who know me) with pretty much 90% of the people I know (I moved to America recently, so the only people I really know offline are people I met online).

The “evil twin” part just came of me needing something to sign up to AIM with. I don't really have a twin. There was a joke going on at the time that whenever I did something bad, it was actually my evil twin. I don't remember the details. The Pixie part is the important one. :)

Anyway, I'm sure some of you have much more interesting stories to tell. So I wanna hear 'em. ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
WingNut at 3:00PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Oo! What a fun thread!

Wingnut has been my gaming name for almost 9 years now. I used to go to a computer store that had a LAN room in the back, and a very close friend of the family used to run it. He was a super awesome dude, and I viewed him as that cooler older brother type that I would never be as cool as. Well anyway, my little sister had just gotten a cat, and she picks the best names for them. This one, she dubbed ‘Wingnut’. Personally, we all thought that was adorable, and when I went to play video games on that particular saturday, I used that as my alias.

My idol asked the room, “Who's playing as Wingnut?”
I, still a punk kid, tentatively raised my hand.

“Thats clever, what a great gaming name.”

Had it ever since. ;D

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
FAL at 3:13PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
It's just my initials. Not too exciting of a story…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
subcultured at 3:18PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
reading a book in a college sociology class…saw the word “subculture”
and it was better than my original screen name “j.cal” or “kaboom” or “jcool” or “coolenuff”

damn i had some weakass names.

then i went and put a ‘D’ in the end cause i could google it better
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
FAL at 3:22PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
The funny thing is at the company I work for we have our initials as our user names to access the systems. I started calling people by their initials as a joke and now people actually call me Fal :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:34PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
My lizard bit me once, it left a scar on my middle finger. I like the way the scar is shaped.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
subcultured at 3:35PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
that's why you shoul flip off yer lizard
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Phantom Penguin at 3:40PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
When I was like 10 (jesus thats like 10 years ago) My sister had this paper from school, it was a name translator or something. You wrote down your first and last name and on the paper it had colors, animal, bodily noises, ect on it. and you matched it up with the first letters of your first and last name. “J” ended up being Phantom and “K” ended up being Penguin. I was so amused that my new name was Phantom Penguin that I remembered it for a long time, and when i came to this site I drew a blank on what my name should be. So I fell back on da PP. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
hat at 3:46PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Basically just because the name wasn't taken.
I have no set identity. It just so happens that on DD I'm known as hat.

I could have easily been coolguy67320.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Jillers at 5:56PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
I feel like I've told this story before…
Well, anyway, I'll tell it again, cause I like to hear myself talk.

Up until College, the user name I used to use (and still fall back on) was Sleepy Kitsune - since I like foxes, and I sleepy a lot (used to be Lazy Kitsune, but it didn't have he same zing). By the time I got to college, I needed a new Identity - and I was into the Alices at the time, and drew little Mad Hatters, well, little me's as the mad hatter.
Those eventually became known as The Mad Jillers (since my name's Jill) and just got shortened to Jillers. Eventually, that became my nickname. I liked the sound of it so I kept it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
ccs1989 at 6:05PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
It's my AOL username, so I use it for everything.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
suzi at 6:27PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
My name. I used to be “Suzy” but when I was 12 I got tired of how boring it looked. I didn't have the guts to “change” it to “Suzi” until I went to high school. I remember fondly telling my 1st period teacher how to spell it…So brave.

I just got tired of the whole online alias thing, and most sites don't have anyone registered as simply “suzi” so…yeah. In years past I went as Bwee, Mythical Tuna, Coriadil (an elvish word i patched together supposedly meaning “loves purple”), and my more recent pen name, “la framboise tordue” (the twisted raspberry, en francais)

It's also particularly appropriate for DD since I am myself in my comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
BigFishComic at 6:58PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
sigh. If only I had thought a little harder before making my username…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Red Slayer at 6:59PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
I used to have a character nicknamed The Red Slayer because everywhere he went it was a blood bath and he had an aura of red energy, and a red sword and red eyes…
I like red.

Also, i used to (and still do) forget my characters names when i played with my toys and i had to give them nicknames.

One day i decided i would use it for my internet stuff.

Later i decided to change it to Eclectic Replicant for personal reasons, also Blade Runner.

I have been using Revenant because sometimes i feel lazy and i like the concept of the creature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
fern at 7:20PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
fern is a plant.

and also short for fernando. but i like to go with the plant.

also i regret not caping the “F”…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Alexis at 7:36PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
I am Alexis. There is only one. In all of the comic book world, apparently. My parents named me after the Joan Collins character in Dynasty.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
draxenn at 2:33AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
I was playing a game called Stellar 7 on the 3D0 interactive.
The main antagonist was named Gir Draxen.
I liked the sound of the last name and took it.
I've had it ever since, but i had to add an N at the end cause someone else had registered draxen at hotmail.
I then named my first larp character draxenn, and to this day some people still remember me by that name as opposed to my real name, Shayne.
Screw the money! I have RULES!
. o O ( Evil )
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Ozoneocean at 2:50AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
We've done this a billion times…
But I suppose I'll write it again for anyone who's interested and doesn't know. Afterall, I am actually quite interested in all your explanations! :)

I am Ozoneocean because of some Led Zeppelin track listings… Ozone Baby and The Ocean. The Ocean is one of my all time fave songs. Plus, I love those two words, and the environmentalism connection isn't bad either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Tatsu at 7:06AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
i got my name from back when i was in middle school. after my elementary school friends had ditched me, i sought out new friends. i then somehow happened upon a group of 6 girls (im a girl too) who were fanaticly into anime. (which is how i got into anime) anyways, none of them would ever call eachother by their real names, it was always by a nickname that they had thogut up and that everyone else had agreed upon. or, as in my case, the nickname was chosen for you. i had a massive afinity for dragons, and so the group turned to their friend mami, (their own personal window into the japanese world, seeing as how she moved from there in the 5th grade) and they asked her what dragon was in japanese. she had 2 ansers. ‘Ryu’ and ‘Tatsu’. at the time…ryu, somehow was too hard to pronounce..so we settled on Tatsu. yeah….and i really like it. i like it better than my real name, 'Pearl".
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
artisthazzard at 7:16AM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
Well my name was pretty easy. I am an artist. And my last name is Hazzard! Yes like the Dukes of Hazzard! And no I do not have the general lee… (But I do want one someday)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Crazy Dutchman at 8:24AM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
Tatsu
'Pearl'
artisthazzard
my last name is Hazzard!
Those are both pretty awsome real-names :) You need to be proud of it, Tatsu. I geuss artisthazzard already is ;)

My nickname sucks. It's more of a description so I wouldn't have to tell that I live in the Netherlands. But lot of users don't seem to know it and already a few have confused it with German… And er yes, I'm totally crazy.

@hat: You have one of the coolest nicknames EVER!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Priceman at 8:29AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
When i was in elementary school (many, many, many, many moons ago), I used to draw myself as a superhero. I couldn't think of any good names so i just added “man” to the back of my last name. Good thing my mom never got my name changed to my father's last name. I don't think “Hallman” has quite the same ring to it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
kingofsnake at 8:32AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
Mine's a song by Underworld of the Beaucoup Fish Album. I've been using it since the album came out like 6 years ago. I think it just gets cooler the older the album gets, like when that t-shirt you bought at a live show starts fading, and people are like “cool shirt, is that pre-faded?” and you get to be like “no i faded this shit myself, by owning it for 8 years.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
artisthazzard at 8:36AM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
Crazy Dutchman——– Thanks for the compliment!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
acadia at 8:41AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
I was asked to join a CounterStrike clan, so I had to think up something cool (cause CS was THE SHIT back then – I wanted to be remembered). My older brother and I (he's the one who writes ApL) sat in our computer room thinking up names. He went with the whole ancient egyptian motif - “Osiris”. I didnt want to copy him and go with “Anubis” or something, so I just looked around the room and looked for cool names on products or in product descriptions. My father buys this generic, supermarket-brand bottled water that is apparently bottled up at “Acadia Springs” or whatever. I saw the name, thought it sounded cool, and have been using it ever since for pretty much everything. If you ever see an ‘acadia’ lurking around the net, that's probably me.

It's been about 6 years since I picked it. I still like it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Custard Trout at 9:56AM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
I have two stories fer mine.

The true one: The Custard Trout is not actually a name, it is a title, a very prestigious and noble title, handed down over the course of a thousand generations, only the best could become The Custard Trout, the wisest, the strongest, the fiercest. Also, only those born in my home country, Jelly Lake, would be eligible.

The previous Custard Trout was nearing the end of his life, (only males could be Custard Trouts, the female counterpart was The Cream Pike, kind of like knights and dames), he readied his apprentice, and told him that he must earn his title before the next full moon. Six Trials were set before the apprentice, one for each element, they were: The Trial of Fire, The Trail of Water, The Trail of Earth, The Trail of Air, The Trial of Surprise, and the most deadly of all, The Trial of Golf.

The apprentice spend three days and three nights training for the Trails, and soon, he was ready, he would succeed, he would become the greatest Custard Trout who ever lived!

Unfortunately, he was eaten by a rabbit (rabbits in Jelly Lake are bipedal, fifty feet tall, and very strict carnivores) so the Custard Trout panicked and gave the title to the first person he saw, which was his servant boy, also known as me.

On the first day of my Custard Troutdom, Jelly Lake was attacked by our evil rivals, the Rice Puddingites, I fled instead of protecting my people, because I'm a trouser wetting pansy coward. And here I am today! Hoping that everyone died so they don't find me and tear me to little bits.

The not true one: I liked the sound of it, and I've using it for a while. But I have various aliaseseseses.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Friedenmann at 10:51AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
My nickname is in German (haha, surprise?) and it means “Peaceman”. I don't know why I use such. I just woke up with it in my head two years ago and when I was to create an account on dA I just typed in “Friedenmann”. Now I use it so that people can identify me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
AQua_ng at 11:52AM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
Antony Quang.

A. Quang.

AQuang.

AQua_ng.

Ta da!

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
vgman at 12:01PM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
i just chose mine because im ultra addictid to video games.

vgman=video gamming/gammer man (take youre pic)
RIP TD :cry2:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:40PM
silentkitty at 3:25PM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
Aw, mine is dorky.

A long, long time ago, I used to run a Sailor Moon mailing list on AOL with a friend of mine. (I know. I know.) We wanted our screen names to match characters from the show, and I wanted “Tin Kitty” but it was taken (the horror!). I still wanted some form of “kitty”, and I figured, I am a very quiet person, so I tagged “silent” onto it and there you have it. I've been using the name for pretty much everything intarweb-related ever since.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon