Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Software for comics hosted on my own domain name?
davidrecine at 9:41PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(offline)
I kinda wanna get my own domain name. What kind of software should I use for the dsplay? I want software that basically looks like the stuff on drunkduck, similar to whatever Paul Southworth (uglyhill.com) or Jon Rosenberg (goats.com) are using. I want to enable completely anonymous comments as well— the kind that don't require any sort of login. Is there a blog that allows for anonymous login-free commenting, that i could just link to for the comments page? Since I'd still wnat to use drunkduck as a mirror site, is it okay to hotlink any images from my DrunkDuck page, or would that be considered badwidth theft by th admins?
From the state that brought you Jeffrey Dahmer, Ed Gein, Colby Cheese, and Pabst Blue Ribbon:

http://www.drunkduck.com/Murky_Waters
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
skoolmunkee at 2:31AM, Aug. 28, 2007
(online)
davidrecine
I kinda wanna get my own domain name. What kind of software should I use for the dsplay? I want software that basically looks like the stuff on drunkduck, similar to whatever Paul Southworth (uglyhill.com) or Jon Rosenberg (goats.com) are using. I want to enable completely anonymous comments as well— the kind that don't require any sort of login.
I'm not sure what those guys use. Probably modified versions of existing software. Komikaze (might be spelled wrong) allows commenting I think, it might be a patch you have to search for. The person I know who installed it on his site had trouble customizing the comments to work properly though, and never got them to work on archive pages- so now people can only make and read comments on the live page.

Is there a blog that allows for anonymous login-free commenting, that i could just link to for the comments page?
I think all blogs will allow that- livejournal, blogger, etc. It's possible to build in a ‘window’ on another site that will show your blog post and which people can comment on. I think a lot of comics do this for their author's comments. You can actually run a comic entirely with livejournal or blogger (see WIGU) but the downside is that it makes the archives really difficult to read because there's no back-forward buttons, only a calendar or weekly view.

Since I'd still wnat to use drunkduck as a mirror site, is it okay to hotlink any images from my DrunkDuck page, or would that be considered badwidth theft by th admins?
I'm not sure if I'd call it bandwidth theft, but it would be pretty rude (in internet terms) to have your own space elsewhere but take the images from the free site. If you do that you also have the danger that if DD is having problems, your main site will have problems too. Images will load slowly or not at all etc. Most people get their own domain because having two locations is more reliable thanone… but then you have the burden of maintaining two locations and ‘splitting’ your readership.

If you're using a comic software like Komikaze it won't let you hotlink images anyway, they'll have to be stored on your server so it can release them appropriately.

What is it you want to get out of a second site or a domain name? It sounds as though you want to keep using drunk duck (although with anonymous commenting), but have your own domain name. It might be easiest for you to buy a domain name and a tiny amount of space for it, and on that space put an auto-redirect to the drunk duck space. (DD doesn't allow people to attach a domain name to their own space so that's the second best option)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
davidrecine at 4:47AM, Aug. 28, 2007
(offline)
“What do you want to get out of having your own domain name?”

I want anonymous login-free comments, or a way to such a comments section directly to the front page of my webcomic. (EX: Right under the current comic could be a little hyperlink that says “comics”, and if you click it, it goes to a livejornal or bloggerr comments page or something.) Can Drunkduck do either of those? I also want to put external links of my own choosing (the websites of friends of mine) on the front page, which I haven't found a way to do on Drunkduck. Or at least have a clickable “links” section n the front page with external links in it.

Is there a way to jerry-rig Drunkduck to do all of these things? Also, you said: “It's possible to build in a ‘window’ on another site that will show your blog post and which people can comment on.” Is it possible to build such a window on my Drunkduck page?

If Drunkduck can do all of the above, I'd probably just buy a domain name and foreward it to here. I want to keep a mirror site on Drunkduck no matter what, because I really like Drunkduck, and— to gush- a little— I think this community truly “gets” the spirit of the comics medium, in a way a lot of other webscomics hosts don't.

If not, how much does Komikaze cost?
From the state that brought you Jeffrey Dahmer, Ed Gein, Colby Cheese, and Pabst Blue Ribbon:

http://www.drunkduck.com/Murky_Waters
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
kytri at 7:33AM, Aug. 28, 2007
(offline)
I use a modified version of wordpress called comicpress. It works nicely and is easy to use once it's set up. I really like it.
It allows commenting, and has bookmark tags so someone reading a large archive can tag one and come back to it later it also makes RSS feeds automatically and pretty much everything else normal wordpress does. The main downsides to it that I can think of are that it only has one look unless you modify it manually and you need to upload the comic pages manually (like with FTP or something).

Before that I used a program called someryC. It worked well enough, but it had some bugs and I kept accidentally breaking things on it and not being able to fix them. It also has only one template for appearance without modification and I had to upload comics manually because of a bug. It supports comments but I never used that feature.

Before that I had manual updates with plain old html. It was a pain in the ass.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
skoolmunkee at 1:18PM, Aug. 28, 2007
(online)
If you know a bit of HTML, or know someone who knows a bit of HTML, or have an HTML program like frontpage or dreamweaver, you can change the layout of your DD main page. :) There are a lot of customized pages around.

It is possible to add in a shoutbox (which is a little window where people can comment anonymously), make your main page a framed page with the comic stuff above and some kind of commenting thing like blogger below, and possibly an iframe (like a floating frame) which could hold the journal/blog thing. You can also create a links list right on the front page.

I'm not sure how the shoutbox people did theirs. Most of them come with instructions, I'm not sure if all of them are compatible with drunkduck (most of them need some backend stuff going on that DD might not do). That is probably your most straightforward route to getting anonymous comments right on the page, though. If you build in a frame or an iframe, you're still only linking to a journal page, and people will have to scroll around and click to see the comments etc. With a shoutbox they could just type in their message and click submit.

Be careful with anonymous commenting, the reason DD doesn't do it is because it always generates loads and loads of spam :)

Komikaze ought to be free, but it doesn't sound like you'll need it.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
Sam_Charette at 10:47AM, Aug. 31, 2007
(offline)
With Comic Dish you can have your own domain name pointed to your comic, and have anonymous comments. As skool said, though, it can attract a lot of spam. Most of the Comic Dish comics haven't attracted any spammers, but there were two that did, and in the end they turned anonymous comments off.

Smackjeeves allows anonymous commenting, I believe, though you would have to set up a forwarding page at your domain name, as they currently do not allow you to point a domain name directly to a comic. Depending on where you host your domain, though, you may be able to create a rewrite rule that will transparently bring the user to the smackjeeves account when they type in your domain name (and in that case, they will only ever see your domain name).
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
gigatwo at 3:32AM, Sept. 4, 2007
(online)
Learn basic PHP and mysql, it'll probably take about a month. What you're asking to do shouldn't be too hard. Definantly try to use some sort of verification system though; spam sucks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Enef at 8:50AM, Sept. 12, 2007
(offline)
Search google for “Wordpress” and “Comicpress” to find everything you need to set up a simple easy site for your comics and one that people can comment freely on.

If you can't work it out then any help i can offer you is useless.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved