Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Solid black lines in photoshop
lefarce at 1:31PM, Oct. 4, 2009
(offline)
Not too sure if this is the right place. I dont read, reading is overrated.

I'm running into some trouble in photoshop, seems to be happening more often now than it usually did. When I go to tone a selected segment of my art, I'll use the magic wand and then run the pattern brush around the inside of the slected space. Problem is; this will result in bleed-through, reducing the clarity of the black lines and causing the pattern to fade them out.

I could have sworn photoshop had an option allowing you to set a layer to ignore anything moving over a black line, essentially treating it like a new layer and giving you the ability to just paint over them and only affect the negative space.

Of course, I could convert the image into a brush, apply it to a new layer, tuck a layer of white under, and then make new layers in between for the tones, but thats just a damn hassle. Unless I'm crazy and this mystery mode is something I made up and forgot how to do in my head one day. My friend explained it to me as how he got around painting over black lines while coloring in photoshop, but he's being a big gay and not returning my text messages, so I'm here to ask you guys for a bit of help.

Any ideas?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
SpANG at 6:23AM, Oct. 6, 2009
(online)
I don't know the ‘official’ way of fixing it, but I usually just create a top layer of just the black line art, set to ‘multiply’ (so all the white turns clear). I usually lock the layer too. I have a habit of being on the wrong layer if I don't.

Then I color and create pattern effects on the layer below. The result is solid, undisturbed black lines on the top layer. Then of course you can merge it all together.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
skoolmunkee at 1:20PM, Oct. 6, 2009
(online)
Well, make sure you have antialising off when you do the magic wand. :] But I think what you want is an alpha layer, or possibly a mask. What you're describing isn't quite an alpha layer, but it can do it. I'm not completely sure how a mask works but I think that one operates on the principle you're talking about.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
da_kasha at 1:05AM, Oct. 7, 2009
(offline)
wait what? I don't quite understand what you're asking about :0 Do you just want to draw on B/W lineart without messing it up? Then in the little layer tab where it says normal change it to multiply and shade on the layers beneath it to your hearts content.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
lefarce at 5:01PM, Oct. 7, 2009
(offline)
EDIT: Forget it. I just tried the method SpANG laid out, and it works amazingly well. About the same method I was thinking of trying, but much better. Thanks to the help SpANG!

Consider this question solved. :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved