Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Some help, please...
tea_green at 12:24AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(online)
I only have Photoshop Elements and Paint.NET. Is there any ways I can color the lines of the drawing with these?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Darth Mongoose at 4:09AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(online)
Yes indeed! My personal favourite way is to get photoshop, put your chosen colour as the colour you want your lines, and the secondary colour as white (or whatever colour you want the background to be), then go on your top menu…
image>adjustments>gradient map
Tadaa! Easy stuff. Note that you should do it before colouring your image if possible.
Another way could be to use the ‘replace colour’ option and switch black for the colour of choice…never tried it though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Tim Wellman at 7:11AM, Jan. 24, 2007
(online)
There is another way that a lot of CG artists use, and that is to set the layer your lineart is on to ‘Soft Light’… what that does is simply change your black lines to a darker shade of whatever color is underneath, as in this example (I simply laid down some color swatches and then used the line tool and made some black lines on a new layer… then set the black line layer to Soft Light)

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Dynamic at 9:26PM, Jan. 28, 2007
(offline)
Tim Wellman
There is another way that a lot of CG artists use, and that is to set the layer your lineart is on to ‘Soft Light’… what that does is simply change your black lines to a darker shade of whatever color is underneath, as in this example (I simply laid down some color swatches and then used the line tool and made some black lines on a new layer… then set the black line layer to Soft Light)

only problem I see with that is what happens if the background color is white? the line becomes white too aparantly as shown in your image.

Honestly, If you could spare the hard drive space, download inkscape It's what I use to ink and you have the option of changing a line's color. Not to mention the lining tool is insanley easy and you can edit the lines after you've put them down.

Downside to the program is the process of saving an image. you can't save the images as a .gif or .jpg as far as I have found, but if you can do a .pdf (elements should handle it 'cus I use inkscape and elements) to get it into elements, and from THERE you are able to save it as something usable online.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved