Media Megaforum

Space Chimps: Epic Failure?
Walrus at 5:00PM, July 11, 2008
(online)
This movie looks awful. It's made by “one of the primates from Shrek” ughhh… No, if this is from the creators of Shrek it'll have to be terrible.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
isukun at 10:13PM, July 11, 2008
(online)
My take on this is, if you're going to make a movie about monkeys, USE REAL MONKEYS.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
lefarce at 3:50AM, July 12, 2008
(online)
isukun
My take on this is, if you're going to make a movie about monkeys, USE REAL MONKEYS.

Yes, that wuold make total sense coming from that production company, and would totally look right given all the action. Monkys running on treadmills and getting flung back into a wall would look very ascetically pleasing if you used real chimps.

You're insane.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
isukun at 6:16AM, July 12, 2008
(online)
Monkys running on treadmills and getting flung back into a wall would look very ascetically pleasing if you used real chimps.

CG monkeys are even worse. Everything I've seen of this film makes me wonder why they even needed monkeys, they may just as well have used human characters. And quite honestly, a monkey can run on a treadmill and it looks funnier when they do. Limited CG can cover the stunt work and I still think it would look better than the generic look they have going now.
Custard Trout at 6:21AM, July 12, 2008
(offline)
You're all idiots. Chimps, pop culture references, and slapstick are all COMEDY FUCKING GOLD.

YES.

NO SARCASM HERE AT ALL.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 5:29PM, July 12, 2008
(offline)
isukun
Everything I've seen of this film makes me wonder why they even needed monkeys, they may just as well have used human characters.

SPACE HUMANS
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
isukun at 6:16PM, July 12, 2008
(online)
I'm sure they could have come up with a different clever title.
SpANG at 7:42PM, July 12, 2008
(online)
Walrus
It's made by “one of the primates from Shrek” ughhh… No, if this is from the creators of Shrek it'll have to be terrible.
That's not really fair. Shrek was a great movie. It won critical acclaim and put Dreamworks on the map (animation wise).

You can look back on it now as “hokey” or having “dated references”, but it was great for its time.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 8:02PM, July 12, 2008
(offline)
isukun
I'm sure they could have come up with a different clever title.

It's a totally different premises.
Skullbie at 9:03PM, July 12, 2008
(online)
I almost hope this'll be some epically funny underdog and blow everyone away.

But Chances are it'll blow… they didn't start advertising till' 18 days before it's release.

It reminds me of that cartoon where these adults monkeys were in space and shot stuff with guns, also they high fived using their feet. What was it called…captain Simeon and the space monkeys?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
isukun at 9:49PM, July 12, 2008
(online)
It's a totally different premises.

Not really. The monkeys in this think like humans, act like humans, move like humans, Hell, they even look like humans. They may as well BE humans. Using average Joes instead of trained astronauts wouldn't have been a major departure from the existing premise of this film. They could have called it Space Chumps and they would only need to change one letter in the title. I'll bet they could even keep 99% of the same dialog and gags.
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 9:56PM, July 12, 2008
(offline)
isukun
Space Chumps

That actually sounds way more appealing.

EDIT: I think the reasoning is they're raping the “cute animals that talk” formula.
Custard Trout at 11:46AM, July 13, 2008
(offline)
Except monkeys aren't so much cute as they are fanged, furry demons.
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 12:14PM, July 13, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
Except monkeys aren't so much cute as they are fanged, furry demons.
Anything's cute with big exaggerated features!
Hawk at 3:58PM, July 13, 2008
(online)
Well you know, this could be a case of “the best stuff wasn't put in the trailer” and maybe it's good. But if the jokes shown in the trailer are any indication, it doesn't look very appealing to me.

I have to be honest, though… Pixar never blows me away with their trailers, and I always end up loving their movies. If reviews prove that this is better than it looks, I would give it a chance.

One thing that's really working against this movie is that the main chimp sounds like Ashton Kutcher. I know it's actually Andy Samberg, but ick… Ashton Kutcher.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Custard Trout at 4:09PM, July 13, 2008
(offline)
I've never really liked DreamWorks, every movie they do is ripped from Pixar.

That's the only reason people like Shrek, because it's the only thing they've done that's original.
isukun at 1:44PM, July 14, 2008
(online)
That's the only reason people like Shrek, because it's the only thing they've done that's original.

Really? It seems to me like almost every movie they've released since the switch to 3D has been borrowing themes from Pixar or Disney or whoever else is popular at the time.

1998: Bug's Life/Antz
2001: Monsters Inc/Shrek
2003/2004: Finding Nemo/Shark Tale
2005/2006: The Wild/Madagascar
2006: Open Season/Over the Hedge
2006/2007: The Ant Bully/Bee Movie

While not necessarily the same thematically, it also didn't surprise me much to see a movie like Kung Fu Panda coming out after movies like the Incredibles, TMNT and FFVII:AC successfully tested the waters for CGI action movies.

I'm not going to say that any of these movies are better or worse because of this, but just looking at their releases, they really do seem more like trend followers than trend setters. They have their occasional hits and misses, but I have yet to see them go out on a limb and do something completely different from their competition.
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 3:15PM, July 14, 2008
(offline)
isukun
The Wild/Madagascar

Didn't The Wild get made after Madagascar? I remember seeing they trailer and thinking "Wow, This time Disney's the one taking ideas."

Maybe they announced and started The Wild earlier or something.

Either way, nobody saw it.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild#Madagascar_criticism

Wiki
The Wild received some harsh responses even before the trailer premiered. Movies.com described it as “Madagascar meets Finding Nemo with The Lion King thrown in for effect.”

The movie has many similarities to Madagascar including its setting in New York, similar animals as characters, and the primary plot of introducing zoo animals to the wild. The name of the film and the tag line, “Start spreading the newspaper”, a play on the opening line from the “Theme from New York, New York”, were both used as integral plot points in Madagascar. The koala's line “Sprechen Sie Koala?” mirrors Madagascar's: “You. quadraped. Sprechen Sie Englisch?” Because of this, some people believe that the movie is a possible plagiarism of Madagascar, a Jack Bauer-meets-Madagascar film. Rotten Tomatoes describes the critics' consensus on The Wild as “With a rehashed plot and unimpressive animation, there's nothing wild about The Wild”. The similarities to Finding Nemo are having a young animal being kidnapped somewhere else, and his parent goes out to find him.

There is evidence that The Wild was in production for a decade. The director, Steve Williams, said that he received the script in 2001. His contract with Disney stated that C.O.R.E would animate, and this contract was green-lit in 2003. The Wild has reportedly been in some form of production for a decade, first being called The Big Break, then Wildlife, and finally The Wild. Animators from the film have come forward on internet communities such as IMDb and stated openly that they had been working on The Wild already when they first saw the trailer for Madagascar. Several even believe that Marty's line “I wish I could go to The Wild!” from Madagascar is a direct mocking of their own efforts. “The Wild” was so long in production because of the sheer painstaking effort of trying to achieve perfection… so much so that the lions each had over 8 million hairs in their manes.

It is the belief of some that Madagascar was rushed into production to “beat” The Wild into theaters. Many supporters of this theory cite their personal opinions on the story and animation quality of Madagascar as being poor. Despite that, Madagascar was more successful financially than The Wild.

This would not be the first time for Disney and Dreamworks that two films with a similar theme were released in close proximity. In the fall of 1998, Dreamworks released its talking bug film “Antz” mere weeks before Disney/Pixar released “A Bug's Life”. A similar scheduling occurred in 2000 when Dreamworks released The Road to El Dorado against Disney's The Emperor's New Groove, both set in Central/South America, using similar animation styles. Later on in 2004, Dreamworks released Shark Tale, which had an underwater theme resembling that of Pixar's Finding Nemo (2003), and the new film Ratatouille has a rodent themed world like Flushed Away (although Flushed Away was merely helped by Dreamworks). It has also been suggested that Disney's rebranding of Rapunzel: Unbraided as Rapunzel was due to its original similarity to Shrek's parodying of fairy tale worlds.

Hmm. I'd trust Disney employees over Dreamworks ones any day. Still, it's a bit silly to cite “poor animation/story” as proof of plagiarism. But I beleive the other evidence.
Hawk at 3:45PM, July 14, 2008
(online)
If anyone doesn't know already, it tends to take around 5 years to create an animated film. Of course this depends on the film's quality, but I'm talking about Pixar's stuff in this case. Years ago the Pixar staff created the concepts that would become Toy Story, a Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, and Monster's Inc.

However, Katzenburg soon after led a sort of exodus from Disney. Exodus is a great term, because he took many animators with him to Dreamworks where they worked on Prince of Egypt. Katzenburg fully knew what was in store for Disney. It's no stretch to assume that he and Dreamworks planned ahead to match Disney film-for-film, and try to take a bit of wind out of their sails (and sales).

By the way, The Wild was more or less outsourced. It was by an outside studio with help from Disney, much like Flushed away was.
Custard Trout at 4:50PM, July 14, 2008
(offline)
isukun

I don't see how Monsters Inc and Shrek are similar.
worstcase at 8:21PM, July 14, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
isukun

maybe he thinks the Shrek(the ogre) is a monster? I see no similarities!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
isukun at 9:15PM, July 14, 2008
(online)

I'm talking thematically. And quite frankly, Shrek and Monsters, Inc share more in common than most of the other films. Apart from centering on monster main characters, both have story lines that focus heavily on mistaken identity and profiling.
jalford at 12:06AM, July 15, 2008
(online)
They should just have all this stuff be straight-to-video.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
lastcall at 4:20AM, July 15, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
isukun

Agreed, those two films are totally different in every way–especially story/concept. isukun, maybe you should try watching them sometime before throwing out “theories.” That's not cool. I know you knock down a lot of people and their opinions in the Gaming forum threads–please don't do that here, okay? You're not always right. :mad: (sorry, someone had to speak up and say it)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
isukun at 10:06PM, July 15, 2008
(online)
isukun, maybe you should try watching them sometime before throwing out “theories.”

I can quote both of those movies word for word I've seen them so many times. Lets see… Monsters, Inc., a movie about a world of monsters where they live out average everyday lives like normal people, but in the real world have the stigma of being frightening (and vice versa with monsters' perceptions of humans). A little girl, however, sees through the exterior of one of them bridging the gap between the two worlds and changing the perception of both monsters and humans.

Shrek, a monster lives a lonely life bitter at the outside world because they all label him without giving him a chance despite the fact that he's a pretty average guy. A princess (and a donkey) sees through his exterior to the decent guy underneath and he gains acceptance from the general populace.

Yeah, NOTHING in common. Seems to me they both have the same basic concept, just Monsters, Inc. is more about stereotyping groups while Shrek is more about stereotyping individuals. In both films the major theme is social stereotyping and the end result is that the main characters learn to look past those stereotypes and not just live up to people's expectations.

I find it funny that people are willing to accept that Dreamworks wasn't being original with Antz and Shark Tale, two movies which shared far less in common with their Pixar counterparts than Shrek did.
SpANG at 1:12PM, July 16, 2008
(online)
Monsters, Inc.
Release Date: 2 November 2001

EDIT///Production began circa May, 1999

Shrek
Release Date: 18 May 2001
On VHS: 7 November 2001 (5 days after Monsters, Inc. was released in theaters)

EDIT///Production began before December 18, 1997

Based upon William Steig's 1990 fairy tale picture book entitled Shrek!
——————————————————

Damn you Dreamworks! Stealing like that. In, you know… reverse.
Hawk at 1:24PM, July 16, 2008
(online)
Regardless of the final theater release dates of these movies, any “theft” happened back at the concept stage. See my earlier post.
SpANG at 1:27PM, July 16, 2008
(online)
See my edits
kingofsnake at 1:32PM, July 16, 2008
(online)
I think some of what Isukun is valid and some less so. I really like Over the Hedge… but then it's really one of the only newspaper comics I still occasionally enjoy. Had an excellent voice cast (including the supporting characters) and Bend Folds nailed the score.

Back on topic of Space Chimps… It doesn't look particularily bad to me… but it doesn't look particularily good either. It looks average. It will probably do moderately well. But with The Dark Knight coming out this week, and Mama Mia taking the the female demographic, and Wall-e still being in the theaters as a fantastic family film… Even if Space Chimps was awesome it'd have trouble pulling better then third place this weekend… They should've postponned the release to next week
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
isukun at 3:15PM, July 16, 2008
(online)
See my edits

Hawk's point is still valid, though. Just because a movie went into production on a particular date does not mean the conceptual work wasn't done long before that (besides, Farley's voice work might not necessarily have been part of the production cycle). The concept for Monsters, Inc. was developed in the same brainstorming session as Bug's Life, Cars and Wall-E back in ‘94. We know Katzenberg knew about A Bug’s Life before Antz went into production, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch if he knew about the other projects as well.

They should've postponned the release to next week

I don't know, it seems like this Summer is just full of movies that have a lot of potential appeal. Even in the slow weeks you still have some potential blockbuster on your hands. Maybe they were hoping parents would dump their kids in the theater with Space Chimps while they ran off to see higher rated movies. Or perhaps they expect the movie to do badly, so they didn't want to release it too late in the Summer to maximize profits from kids who are out of school.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved