Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Spammers and haters
Pandafilando at 9:46PM, Nov. 6, 2008
(online)
I've been bugged by many spammers and haters lately, i wish to know what are you're thoughts, and how do you deal with them, my fellow drunkduckers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
BlkKnight at 10:31PM, Nov. 6, 2008
(online)
I have yet to encounter any of those. I'd just ignore them but mute/report anything outright offensive.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Skullbie at 10:37PM, Nov. 6, 2008
(online)
Sorry to hear that, my comics had quite a share of haters and I have found a foolproof way:
Spammers: Tell them to fuck off, they deserve to be your punching bag, punch them.

Haters: Ignore them completely. No really, they are attention junkies, and if you give the attention either by acknowledging they exist or actual replies you've given them what they want you've failed. It's hard at first but realize it not worth getting angry over someone so pathetic to need attention through anger.

If you do have to speak to haters: Maturity and Charisma. Yeah you know they're a spiteful bag of lies, but like the song ‘can’t touch this' nothing makes them feel unfulfilled more than either being completely ignored or out of your reach a couple hundred maturity levels.

And also for the rest of you a “1” rating is not hatemail. Toughen up you pussies.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Pandafilando at 10:45PM, Nov. 6, 2008
(online)
hehe, thanks so much for the help skullbie, and yes, after checking their profiles i could tell they're nothing but attention Junkies, i some way I've dealt with this kind of people before but not here in drunkduck, so i'm relieved to know there's no spooky variation from what i know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
JoeL_CQB at 1:12AM, Nov. 7, 2008
(online)
i haven't run into any lately, but I tend to ignore if it is something that is negative, and is not constructive.

I can't really tell what the other people are saying since they have been muted, but I hope you can tell the difference between hate comments and constructive criticism.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Winterman at 9:54AM, July 11, 2009
(offline)
Ignore them. Mute them. Continue to be awesome. Haters and spammers are irrelevant. Just do your thing well.

Which you very much do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
NickGuy at 12:52PM, July 11, 2009
(online)
wow…ive never had to deal with stuff like that. i purposefully do stuff to try and provoke haters and spammers, and i still get ignored.

but yeah, mute em, or whatever.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
BffSatan at 11:40PM, July 11, 2009
(online)
Ahhhh, a necro…

Anyway, I tend to think that if someone hates your comic enough for them to be vocal about it then it means they might be a little jealous of your success or some other personal reason.

The amount of criticism Family Guy is proof of concept, the loudest critics of that show just hate that something they don't get is so successful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Eddie Jensen at 3:38AM, July 12, 2009
(offline)
haha haters huh?beeen there doen that, I've also been reffered to as a hater. I hear from these posts you're supposed to just ignore them, but there are some honest people who jsut come off rather harsh like me. So honestly I'd take what they're saying into consideration I'm not saying give them attention I'm just saying pay attention to what they're saying for your own sake because occassionally they are right.

… Heck come to think of it I think I commented on your comic and was recieved as a hater… oh well can't win em all, least I'm honest.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Hyena H_ll at 10:53AM, July 12, 2009
(online)
If you've got a fairly popular comic, there are gonna be people who don't think you deserve the attention. Those people are morons- as I've said before, you don't attract readers without doin' something right.

There's criticism that's on the harsh side, or nit-picky- and a lot of that, as folks have said, can be really helpful if you swallow your pride and pay attention to what they're saying.

But then there's “You're comic sucks and you suck and should give up and die slowly, alone and miserable with the knowledge that your sucky comic has made the eyes of thousands of hapless readers fall out of their sockets in awe of the sheer suckiness of you sucky comic.” (Sorry. That was actually really fun to write. Maybe that's why they do it…)

Anyhow. Let that stuff just roll off. Delete the comments, don't acknowledge them, and go about your business.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
zaymac at 10:41AM, July 14, 2009
(online)
If I ever got any haters I would make them a zombie in my comic and then have them die in a grisly zombie death.

So be warned if anyone out there is thinking about hating in my comic. :)

I actually read a funny story yesterday about a guy that posted hateful things about the guy that produced the Transformers movies on the producers blog.

Turns out the producer did some research on the guy and found out he had a book so he ordered it planning to hate on it. Yet, it turned out that the producer like the book so much he optioned it for a movie.

So I guess haters have their motives. :)

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
GracehFaceh at 2:38PM, July 14, 2009
(online)
I had a hater a couple years ago. She used to be a friend actually, but then she got mean for no apparent reason. I don't remember even doing anything to her. She really ragged on me/my comic at the time a lot but I didn't want to start a flame war so I either ignored her or civilly told her that her comment was unnecessary and that no one was forcing her to read the comic. She apologized a month later, saying she wasn't really sure why she was acting like such an ass.

So, just be cool about it and don't get too easily butthurt. It's not worth the stress.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
kyupol at 5:15PM, July 14, 2009
(online)
I would mute and/or report spam.

But haters, I'd let them say their piece as long as they don't make any threats of violence.

Love my comic or hate it, I'd love to hear from you. :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:38PM, July 14, 2009
(online)
Well, I used to deal with it in a very butthurt manner. Only because back then, I couldn't really take criticism. I've learned to deal with this, and now I can take criticism like a champ.

It's sad how hard it is to learn how to take it though, but it really can help you improve.

Anyway, if I were ever to get haters, I would most definitely ignore them. I would leave them up there, and just don't pay attention.

As for spammers, I would report spam. Easy as that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Ironscarf at 3:53AM, July 16, 2009
(online)
Don't hate haters! They're just fans who can't admit it to themselves because they're all bitter and twisted up inside: instead it comes out as a kind of jealous vitriol, but how long are they spending looking at and commenting on your work? Probably more than most regular fans.

Hate mail is fan mail. File them all together under “free advertising”.:)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
Poink at 4:16AM, July 16, 2009
(offline)
The best advice I could give for spammers
is, well, reporting them.
Usually, a spammer is someone who've heard shit about you and just decide to ruin your page, hoping you would reply and get banned yourself.
Ignore, report.
As for Trolls, if there's only one, you can reply to him, but avoid confrontation, don't feed the troll, if you reply, he will reply and this will never end.
Yeah, the best is to delete comments.
6cyb.org
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Freegurt at 12:40PM, July 16, 2009
(online)
BffSatan
Ahhhh, a necro…

Anyway, I tend to think that if someone hates your comic enough for them to be vocal about it then it means they might be a little jealous of your success or some other personal reason.

The amount of criticism Family Guy is proof of concept, the loudest critics of that show just hate that something they don't get is so successful.

Ahhhh the jealousy route. I don't know about other haters, but I know from experience (sadly, those were dark days I'd rather not go back to) that haters (or trollers, or spammers, what have you) don't do what they do out of jealousy. They do it because they believe that they can elicit a response from the person being hated on.

I like to go to pchat and there was this girl who's work I critiqued. I wasn't intentionally trying to be mean with my criticisms, but she took it in a very bad manner and I ended up just taking it further because her reactions were entertaining. It was anything but jealousy (really, she wasn't very good, sadly, she hasn't improved at all since then). Thankfully, though, I'm not the terrible internet douche I was back then. If someone doesn't like my help, I just leave them be now and let them keep doing what they're doing.

And I also agree with what other people have said, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Although, I do love to mess with spammers or haters minds. It really is quite humorous when they try to be “oh-so tough” over the internet to a bunch of anonymous people they don't even know.

Also Family Guy, lol. I don't like Family Guy because it isn't funny. I just think McFarlane is like the Encyclopedia Dramatica of the TV world. He loves to hate everything and doesn't care if everyone thinks he's a douche. I also believe people critisize it because they've taken offense to it not because they “don't get it” because what's not to get in that show?

To finish off, have this bit of advice that I could have said before without so many words getting in the way:

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved