Media Megaforum

Spectaculr Spider-Man: Animated
MrRiot at 7:52AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
So, this actually looks kind of cool. WAY better than the Spider-Man animated MTV did.

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=261&itemid=11445

Like every other cartoon to come out in the last few years, it's based off Cheeks Galloway designs…but it suits Spidey pretty well, I think. Check it out.

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
mlai at 9:10AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
What, so Peter Parker is a cool high school kid now?

*Rolls eyes.*

Sorry. I'm sure the animation will be pretty good. Nothing we haven't seen since the first Batman, though.

Edit:
That reminds me. How come spider powers come bundled with witty conversationalist powers? If Peter Parker has half the wit he has as Spiderman, he wouldn't be a nerd. He'd be Mr. Popular.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
kingofsnake at 9:41AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
Short answer: Confidence. As spiderman he's confident in himself. It doesn't matter if the villain doesn't get his joke, whats important is that he defeats the villian, he's confident that he'll defeat the villain therefor he's confortable enough to joke about. While he's Peter Parker he doesn't have that confidence, so he's still awkward.

I'm working on a project now that I haven't posted online yet that centers around dichotomy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
MrRiot at 9:48AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
mlai

*Rolls eyes.*

Sorry. I'm sure the animation will be pretty good. Nothing we haven't seen since the first Batman, though.

Edit:
That reminds me. How come spider powers come bundled with witty conversationalist powers? If Peter Parker has half the wit he has as Spiderman, he wouldn't be a nerd. He'd be Mr. Popular.

Where'd you get “Cool highschool kid” out of that clip, sunshine? There were no Parker scenes in it, just Spidey.

…and kingofsnake is pretty dead-on. The things parker says as Spidey are the kind of things a kid like him would keep bottled up to keep from drawing any more ridicule from the bullies. But as Spider-Man, he can say anything he wants without fear of reprisal. Also, it's something you could chalk to to that whole “Secret identity” thing…if Parker's making the same cracks as Spidey all the time…people are going to catch on.

lefarce at 9:54AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
I watched this with no volume on. And I was really into it too up until the “Kids WB!” part. I really hope they don't make this as bad as The Batman. I'm not asking for something dark or close to the comics, but Batman the Animated Series was close to the source material while still being kid friendly.

I'll probably watch it. I never cared for that guy's designs in the previous show, but it looks really good without the CGI.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:31PM
ZeroVX at 11:14AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
I just hope it's as good as the 90's version on Fox.

That was awesome.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 11:30AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
This is like… what? The 5th Spider-Man Cartoon series?

Spider-Man in the 1960's
Spider-Man and his Amazing Freinds
Spider-Man in the 1990's
Spider-Man the New Animated Series
and now this.

I'm getting tired of Spider-Man cartoons.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
fern at 11:40AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
Looks pretty pretty pretty good.

When I first read this news a few days ago I was expecting it to be on Cartoon Network. But KidsWB? Eh, still good I guess. I'll probably check it out… If I'm not sleeping.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
SarahN at 2:02PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
His design looks kinda crummy, like he's 12 years old or something.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
mlai at 2:35PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
MrRiot
Where'd you get “Cool highschool kid” out of that clip, sunshine? There were no Parker scenes in it, just Spidey.
One, as Sarah said, he looks like he's 12 y/o. Knowing human proportions tells me that, even if he does have a mask on.

His voice sounds high school to me, not college or post-graduate. I know Spidey doesn't have a baritone, but the voice was just younger-sounding than any previous Spidey VA.

And his voice has that lilt to it that screams “I'm a cool kid.” But it may be being Spidey that's giving him the coolness confidence (as said), so I'll forgive that.

And he's talking about school. Granted he could be talking about college, but how much you wanna bet he's talking about high school?

jalford at 4:02PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
This would be the 11th Spider-Man TV series:

1. 60s animated series (with the cool theme song)
2. Electic Company (with “mute” Spidey live-action segments)
3. American live-action series
4. Japanese live-action series (complete with GIANT ROBOT!)
5. 80s animated series (the one WITHOUT Iceman & Firestar)
6. Spider-Woman (animated spinoff series to 80s show with occassional Spidey cameo)
7. Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends (the one WITH Iceman & Firestar)
8. Spider-Man: The Animated Series (90s Fox show)
9. Spider-Man Unlimited (sequal to the Fox Animated Series)
10. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series (the MTV pseudo-sequal to Spider-Man 1)

Top that, Howard The Duck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
MrRiot at 6:30PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
mlai
MrRiot
One, as Sarah said, he looks like he's 12 y/o. Knowing human proportions tells me that, even if he does have a mask on.

His voice sounds high school to me, not college or post-graduate. I know Spidey doesn't have a baritone, but the voice was just younger-sounding than any previous Spidey VA.

And his voice has that lilt to it that screams “I'm a cool kid.” But it may be being Spidey that's giving him the coolness confidence (as said), so I'll forgive that.

And he's talking about school. Granted he could be talking about college, but how much you wanna bet he's talking about high school?

Well, presumably, they're going to start the cartoon with his origin. Let's not forget that Peter Parker was only 15 when he was bitten by a radioactive spider and became Spider-Man. So his being in highschool would make a LOT of sense. All the other animated series started with Parker as a college/post graduate because it was easier to get a decent voice actor…and to use more popular/adult stories from when he was older (i.e: Venom, the provacative use of the Black Cat, etc.). Since then, the Ultimate Spiderman comic proved that highschool Parker still has what it takes to rake in the sales, and the show IS coming to kidsWB, so…shazam! Back to Spiderman's highschool roots.

ZeroVX at 11:18AM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
jalford
Spider-Man Unlimited (sequal to the Fox Animated Series)

Oh God! Don't even mention that one. That was awful! It shouldn't even count.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
Maxw3ll at 11:30AM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
That actually looks pretty good, but Kids WB will screw it up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
daniel_the_drummer at 7:48PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
Eh, looks ok. I heard Sean ‘Cheekc’ Galloway did the characters design so gives it an orite look. Not as Humberto Ramos/ Skottie Young-esque that i'd like it to be, but it looks and sounds just like every other action kiddy animated show out there at the moment. There seems to be a creative slump on things like this these days.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
MrRiot at 7:59PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
ZeroVX
jalford
Spider-Man Unlimited (sequal to the Fox Animated Series)

Oh God! Don't even mention that one. That was awful! It shouldn't even count.

I agree. That series was just gawd-awful. It was kind of their way of trying to capitalize on the 2099 lines that were almost making money at the time.

jalford at 4:56AM, Aug. 4, 2007
(online)
I think on Unlimited they were trying to cash in on the success Batman Beyond had at the time, but instead of it being Spidey in the future, they took him to a parallel Earth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
RobertTidwell at 5:00PM, Aug. 4, 2007
(offline)
mlai

*Rolls eyes.*

Edit:

First of all, its based on the original comic run of spiderman, when parker WAS a highschool kid.

Second of all, wit comes with confidence and as parker he never had any. Its a lot easier to be confidant when you are spiderman. If you are going to be hiding your identity, you'll probably play the shy kid gig for all its worth.

It looks OK. I saw them present it at comic con, they showed clips. There will be a lot of badguys from the entire spiderman series, but the idea was that he is still in highschool. He has crushes on girls from the highschool, such as maryjane, gwen stacy adn the girls he had crushes on during the original run of the spiderman comic.

The creators were kind of lazy, they didnt create a single character. All of it is straight out of the comics.
Iconoclast: One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Love_Song_For_Polyhymnia/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Ogre/
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Guilty_Will_be_Punished/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Labrynth/
email: RobertTidwell.Comics@gmail.com
Aim: R Tidwell Comics
http://www.myspace.com/Robert_Tidwell_Comics
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
mlai at 9:11PM, Aug. 4, 2007
(online)
Ha ha, I may not know Spiderman, but my eye for detail was spot on.

Ocka at 12:23AM, Aug. 5, 2007
(offline)
IS it me.. or is the art style similar to Jackie Chan Adventures?

Oh and I also think it'll focus on the ultimate spider-man series >.>

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
dueeast at 4:51PM, Aug. 5, 2007
(online)
It looked decent but a bit too Superman/Batman animated series meets Spiderman. It's not quite Justice League quality, which is disappointing.

I think I also got spoiled on the 1994 - 1998 Spiderman animated series. It rocked (for the most part)!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Rusty Knight at 7:29PM, Aug. 6, 2007
(offline)
well I gotta agree with Lizard b1te… I'm sick of seeing Spidey Man cartoons. Especially because NONE of them will ever be as good as the 90's cartoon on Fox Kids (even though it was REALLY low in quality). Seriously though, Marvel is FULL of kick ass heroes. Spider-Man isn't the only one. I remember the Iron Man cartoon, and X-Men were awesome! Why not try those again (I don't count the re-do of X-men, that sucked too). I remember there was even a Silver Surfer cartoon. As far as I'm concerned, every kids cartoon that runs on WB now is complete crap.

But on the subject of THIS spider-man. It looks like the Old Batman cartoon, (which also rocked), but… updated… but not enough. And I'm not a fan of the Spectacular Spider-Man comic series either.
I'm Jon. You can call me Dr. Jon… but I prefer Jon since I'm not really a Doctor.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved