Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Speech Bubble
Zage at 4:40PM, April 22, 2007
(online)

I need a little help creating a speech bubble like that. ^_^''. Anyone know how? its for photoshop and thanks in advance.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
rengori at 7:55PM, April 22, 2007
(offline)
It looks like an MS paint bubble that they just stuck the white on different layer with a bevel, but I could be wrong.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
reconjsh at 8:23PM, April 22, 2007
(online)
In Photoshop (CS2):

START: Create a New Layer above all the others.
THEN: Using a Combination of the Rounded Rectangle Tool and the Pen Tool, create the bubble.
THEN: Go to LAYER > LAYER STYLE > Blending Options.
THEN: In the window that pops up, set the Opacity to “85%” (or where you like it).
THEN: On the left side menu of that same window, choose “Color Overlay” (it'll check the little box if done right). Choose Solid White (#ffffff)
THEN: On the left side menu of that same window, choose “Stroke” (it'll check the little box if done right). Set the stroke color to Black (#000000) and set the Size to somewhere between 1 and 10 (depending on what resolution you're working at - 5 works good at 300 dpi).
THEN: On the left side menu of that same window, choose “Bevel and Emboss”(it'll check the little box if done right). Apply the following settings.
Style - Inner Bevel
Technique - Smooth
Depth - 35%
Direction - Up
Size - 15px
Soften - 0px
Angle - 35
(uncheck use global light)
Altitude - 20
Gloss Contour - (white on top, grey on bottom right angle triangle)
(check “Anti-aliased”)
Highlight Mode - Screen (white)
Opacity - 75%
Shadow Mode - Multiply (black)
Opacity - 75%

Click “OK” to close the “Layer Style” dialogue window. Go back and play with the settings to tweak the effect.

Hope that all makes sense to you. I assumed you had some, but not much PS ability.

Good luck and PQ me if you need any more help.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
reconjsh at 8:32PM, April 22, 2007
(online)
Here's a quick rendering using the above technique with the above styles but playing with the numbers till I got it to look the way I wanted it to.

Play with the numbers and you'll get it. Good luck.

Also, I couldn't tell but there might be a slight drop shadow on that bubble. You can activate and tweak those in the same dialogue I described above.
Zage at 10:05AM, April 23, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
In Photoshop (CS2):

START: Create a New Layer above all the others.
THEN: Using a Combination of the Rounded Rectangle Tool and the Pen Tool, create the bubble.
THEN: Go to LAYER > LAYER STYLE > Blending Options.
THEN: In the window that pops up, set the Opacity to “85%” (or where you like it).
THEN: On the left side menu of that same window, choose “Color Overlay” (it'll check the little box if done right). Choose Solid White (#ffffff)
THEN: On the left side menu of that same window, choose “Stroke” (it'll check the little box if done right). Set the stroke color to Black (#000000) and set the Size to somewhere between 1 and 10 (depending on what resolution you're working at - 5 works good at 300 dpi).
THEN: On the left side menu of that same window, choose “Bevel and Emboss”(it'll check the little box if done right). Apply the following settings.
Style - Inner Bevel
Technique - Smooth
Depth - 35%
Direction - Up
Size - 15px
Soften - 0px
Angle - 35
(uncheck use global light)
Altitude - 20
Gloss Contour - (white on top, grey on bottom right angle triangle)
(check “Anti-aliased”)
Highlight Mode - Screen (white)
Opacity - 75%
Shadow Mode - Multiply (black)
Opacity - 75%

Click “OK” to close the “Layer Style” dialogue window. Go back and play with the settings to tweak the effect.

Hope that all makes sense to you. I assumed you had some, but not much PS ability.

Good luck and PQ me if you need any more help.

Thanks it worked perfectly. Woot
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
reconjsh at 5:00PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
No problem. I was hoping it was easy to follow along. I've been doing PS so long it's hard to remember what's common knowledge and what isn't. If there's anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to PQ me.

And don't forget to stop by my comic and say “hi”. (shameless plug)

Peace,
~Jerome~

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved