Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Sprite comic ideas please!
kyupol at 8:00PM, May 6, 2007
(online)
My idea for a good sprite comic:

I prefer the following:

- below the belt jokes
- exagerrated violence… blood, guts, sex, just go crazy.
- cut and paste pictures of people. And put them in a sprite comic. I always like the idea of seeing realistic dudes in a sprite comic environment and doing stupid shit.
- speaking of stupid shit, make your comic as STUPID as possible. :) Because I find stupid shit humorous.

anyway thats just my opinion.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
rengori at 10:26PM, May 6, 2007
(offline)
I would say avoid recolors, they're overused.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Darth Mongoose at 5:45AM, May 7, 2007
(online)
Age isn't an excuse. You asked specifically for what the community wants to see, and you were told. Now, when people read your comic, uless you put a big sign on your site saying ‘I’M ELEVEN!!1!211one!' they will habe NO idea when they're reading your comic, how old you are or what kind of person you are. Their judgements will be entirely based on your comic. How good or bad it is.
Now, looking at your banner, you are not a half bad artist. You're very good for your age. Why do a sprite comic? There's already so many of them that the chances of anybody paying particular notice to yet another sprite comic with Sonic sprite recolours are pretty slim. There are hundreds of them. To get noticed, you have to make something that really shows what you can do that makes you special and different. I think you should draw a comic rather than using sprites. It's a much better way to improve as an artist, and it'll be easier to be original, since you can make the designs however you like them.

Whether you choose to use sprites or not, the important thing for coming up with a good story is to create a conflict, then resolve it. Decide what's important to one of the characters, perhaps a friend, an object or a place, have another character put that thing in danger or take it away, then try to solve the problem.
Example:
Jennifer makes a complicated plot to steal Shirly's emerald by ringing up the place that sells chilli dogs with a bomb threat. The fast food outlet is evacuated, and while Shirly goes to investigate what's wrong, Jen uses the distraction to steal his emerald, with help from Donna. Anna is also involved, but she feels guilty about it.
Gary discovers that Shirly's emerald has been taken, and tells him. They spend a while investigating who could have taken it, and eventually Anna cracks and tells them. Jen puts a ransom on the emerald for something she wants.
…From there, decide how your characters would react. Would they pay the ransom? Would Anna steal the emerald to give it back? Would they break in and try to steal the emerald back themselves? Would they give up?

If you understand your characters personalities well, you can imagine what they'd do when confronted with ANY situation. Try to come up with what the main character traits of the characters are, what they like, what they dislike, and what's important to them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
ozoneocean at 6:12AM, May 7, 2007
(online)
Eleen
I'M ELEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Please resize your sig banner.
Sizes for sig banners at DD are either 250x100 pixels or 468x60 pixels.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Eleen at 12:44PM, May 7, 2007
(offline)
i understand everything… now can you delete this post and i'll go figure out so comic ideas plus i'll go resize my banner
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Hijuda at 12:56PM, May 7, 2007
(offline)
Why do you want to make a sprite comic? Sprite comics are very difficult to do well, and almost impossible to be noticed. For every good sprite comic, there are hundreds of other sprite comics done poorly, and almost indistinguishable from the other. Sprite comics are entirely dependent on their writing- and even then, sprites can obscure even the best story or gag.

Hand-drawn comics, however, are a bit easier to do well, due to the fact that emotions can actually be done. And an attractive art style can really bring in readers, and make your comic stand out. Judging by your sig banner, you're a pretty good artist (better than I was at your age, that's for sure), so I don't understand why you wouldn't want to go this route. You could make an excellent comic by doing this.

EDIT:
Eleen
i understand everything… now can you delete this post and i'll go figure out so comic ideas plus i'll go resize my banner

You seem a bit nervous. Relax, DD is pretty friendly.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Eleen at 4:27PM, May 8, 2007
(offline)
I MADE A COMIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Hijuda at 4:32PM, May 8, 2007
(offline)
Glad you decided not to down the sprite route. For now, one thing I would recommend is to work on your spelling and grammar. But keep it up, I'm interested in seeing what you can do.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved