Media Megaforum

Star Trek Movie 2008
SarahN at 11:13PM, Oct. 27, 2007
(online)
“A chronicle of the early days of James T. Kirk and his fellow USS Enterprise crew members during their time at Starfleet Academy.”

So….here's the cast, director, and more info n' crap:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

I think I'll see it just because Simon Pegg is going to play Scotty. Oh my god. XD
What do you think?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Priest_Revan at 10:42AM, Oct. 28, 2007
(offline)
I don't really care for Star Trek… but I guess a movie sounds okay…

It would be cool if they could get the original actors, but they're old(er) now.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Sidwarrious at 7:13PM, Oct. 28, 2007
(online)
Shatner'll prob cameo. WALTER kOENING WON'T lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
Hawk at 10:01PM, Oct. 28, 2007
(online)
Man, you know Karl Urban is only in the highest caliber of film!

I'll probably watch this for the same reason I watched the first Scooby Doo movie… Just to see how well the actors are matched up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Sidwarrious at 10:18PM, Oct. 28, 2007
(online)
I saw the end of the second one today after never wanting to watch it or the first for that matter. *shudders*

I was never a Star ANYTHING fan, so I don't feel no excitement, but being as I am an Internet Resident I must prepare myself for the bombarding of Star fans discussing it, whether it be trekkies happy or Warsies pissy.
ozoneocean at 10:34PM, Oct. 28, 2007
(online)
SarahN
“A chronicle of the early days of James T. Kirk and his fellow USS Enterprise crew members during their time at Starfleet Academy.”
You know… That'd be cool if it showed them spending their time drinking and partying in the academy dorms! :)

Kirk would be such a pimp, getting all the gals and constantly fighting… And Spock would be a real square, telling Kirk to STFU so he can get some study time in…

Or whatever… But I doubt they'll do that. :(
Although… maybe? ^^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Sidwarrious at 10:52PM, Oct. 28, 2007
(online)
That almost seems like an SNL skit and just might have been.
SpANG at 6:46AM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
Meh. If they want to rejuvenate the franchise, they should be introducing a new set of characters, not re-hashing old ones.

But, I'll probably go to see it.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
trevoramueller at 10:33AM, Nov. 1, 2007
(online)
I don't understand why they need to make a prequel. The technology is just going to look better than the TV shows, which lessens the TV shows appeal in my mind.

There are so many more stories that you can tell within the Star Trek universe, and you can get a new cast together too if you so need to. Must you capitalize on Kirk's good name?
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Nominated for numerous web awards, see more news at My Website
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
spambot at 10:14AM, Nov. 5, 2007
(offline)
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it. I'm not as in to Trek as I was several years ago, but it could be fun.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
hpkomic at 11:18AM, Nov. 6, 2007
(online)
SpANG
Meh. If they want to rejuvenate the franchise, they should be introducing a new set of characters, not re-hashing old ones.

They've tried that several times.

The results were mixed at best.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
SpANG at 11:11AM, Nov. 7, 2007
(online)
hpkomic
SpANG

They've tried that several times.

The results were mixed at best.
I disagree. “The Next Generation” rejuvenated the franchise- BIG TIME. They just saturated it to ad naseum after a while.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
dueeast at 1:26PM, Nov. 9, 2007
(online)
Here's my problem with it, the supposed plot (from the same site):

The Romulans travel back in time. The Romulans then figure out where they are in the timeline, then decide to take advantage of the accident to kill Kirk's father, to erase kirk from the timeline before he existed, thereby changing all of the TREK universe as a result.Thus SOMEHOW leaving Spock in a position to change that incident back, and then in a position to guard that timeline and make sure things happen the way they're supposed to.

And no, Shatner definitely won't cameo – and he's not happy about it! Nimoy (Spock) will be in it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
AaronThomasNelson at 9:53PM, Nov. 12, 2007
(offline)
SarahN

I think I'll see it just because Simon Pegg is going to play Scotty. Oh my god. XD
What do you think?

Okay. What the hell does XD mean? Seriously, I'm old.

Simon Pegg as Scotty RAWKS. Great idea. Karl Urban as McCoy? Huh? The Dude from Heroes as Spock? BRILLIANT.

Who the hell is playing Kirk?

J.J. Abrams Directing? Don't know anymore. Love Alias (and Lost). MI: III? Meh.

The worst thing this movie could be is mediocre. If it's great. GREAT. If it sucks, then write it off. If it's bland? Bye bye Star Trek.

NB: Used this thing call the internet and “googled” XD. Turns out, the “urban dictionary” claims it's a new verison of a smiley face meant to replace “LOL”.

I'm not promoting my comics. So, don't read them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
SarahN at 1:51PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
AaronThomasNelson
Okay. What the hell does XD mean? Seriously, I'm old.
It's okay, I didn't know for a long time either. It's just a smiley that is supposed to have shut eyes and a big grin. Same with XP. A smiley with shut eyes sticking out it's tongue.

That plot sounds like a bit much if it's true….can't they just make it the old days and nothing else?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
mlai at 2:08PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
SarahN
That plot sounds like a bit much if it's true….can't they just make it the old days and nothing else?
A bit much, is an understatement. That storyline was contrived back when TNG was still on the air. Not to mention First Contact already used it. And then Enterprise used it for an entire season. Or two.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
dueeast at 4:44PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
You're right, mlai, Enterprise Season 3 was based around preventing the Federation from ever forming by destroying humanity. That kinda dwarfed the importance of Kirk and his relevance to the Romulans – and played out better, for the most part, IMO.

Voyager based one and two-part eps around it, as did DS9 and TNG.

Trek should get out of the temporal causality/paradox loop stuff, they're heading towards exploding over and over like the Enterprise-D in “Cause and Effect.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
hpkomic at 5:16PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
SpANG
I disagree. “The Next Generation” rejuvenated the franchise- BIG TIME. They just saturated it to ad naseum after a while.

Hence “mixed” dude. What about Voyager, DS9 or Enterprise? :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
JustNoPoint at 5:59PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
Voyager and DS9 are my favs =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
marine at 4:39AM, Nov. 14, 2007
(offline)
SarahN
What do you think?

Now I want to see it.

I always like the original star trek. Its a big influence on penis. Star Trek was so poorly written and over acted, with some genuinely cheap special effects that makes lemons into lemonade. The whole idea of the transporter stuff was because they didn't want to show a crappy space ship landing stock film every time they went somewhere. Using makeup effects like a guy with half his face white and half his face black, they could do some really great stuff. Or they would put an eye patch and a beard on someone and make them an evil twin/clone/possible time traveller. Some of the time travel stuff was okay, but often it bombed pretty hard. I'm genuinely fascinated with Time Travel, but the reckless overuse of it in the original star trek and most all of star trek, kind of kills the idea of it. The fact that you make something like Time Travel an every other week occurance just trivilizes the idea, so when the crew is shocked to discover a time portal or something similar, who cares? I also loved the idea of a redshirt. In Star Trek, if you see captain kirk, Spock, and the doctor go to a planet with a guy in a redshirt - that guy is as good as dead. Be it a giant snail or green woman, he's a goner. One beep for yes. Two beeps for no. Also keep in mind, I've seen maybe 30 or 40 episodes of all of Star Trek over the last thirty years, I'm not a big fan of fit, but if nothing else is on, why not have a few laughs with Star Trek? I can only hope that the new movie version has some redshirt killed by something really lame. It'd be really great if they did the movie with special effects similar to the original, not like that last Star Trek show from the WB. That one was just awful.

I'm more of a Next Generation guy. Star Trek had this overly optimistic feel that just wasn't me at all. Next Generation has longer episodes and a bigger cast of recurring characters, most all of whom have interesting gimmicks. Be they the blind engineer guy with that visor or the alien warrior guy or even the robot trying to be a human guy, something interesting is usually going on around the sci fi story. I don't really remember anybodies names because I've not watched it enough and I just don't really care. If I happen see a rerun of it on, I'll usually stop to watch it. Its got some of the goofy stuff from the original Star Trek but the stories tend to be more interesting, and have a less campy feel, with less time travel (although its still there) and stories I've seen lean more towards the allegorical stuff the original show touched on a little bit. I think the best stuff has to be the shit with the borg though. They've got that unbeatable evil zombie machine thing going on thats just plain out cool. Even Fonzie would stop and watch an episode of star trek with the borg. They've got the big square space station they just cruise around killing people in. Their a great villain. Some of the other recurring villains that I've seen, I'm not that into. Like Q. Whats the deal with Q? If he like a space god or something? And whats the deal with Whoopi Goldbergs character? I never understood what was going on there and I don't want to look it up on Wikipedia for fear that I'll have to kick my own ass for being too dorky.

Not that talking about Star Trek on an internet comics forum isn't dorky enough…

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
SpANG at 6:50AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
hpkomic
SpANG

Hence “mixed” dude. What about Voyager, DS9 or Enterprise? :P
Hence “saturated it to ad naseum”… dude. :P

The thing is that they all were thinly veiled as different, but had the same (almost exact) formula. If they spaced out Voyager, DS9 or Enterprise to air after each other as one series came to a close, it would have been less saturated imo. But oh well. They got greedy.

But in reply to marine's comment (some of it) was Star Trek TOS considered “bad effects” when it aired? From what I've seen form other shows around the same time, Star Trek looked state-of-the-art. Am I wrong?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
AaronThomasNelson at 2:43PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
Star Trek TOS is a great show. Great sci-fi writing, hands down. TNG was great too.

The first episode of DS9 was great. The rest of the show… meh. Voyager was annoying. Janeway was terrible.

As one guy put it: DS9 and Voyager have one thing in common–none of the characters want to be where the are. Another thing they have in common is that Gene Roddenberry wasn't a creative force throughout the series (although he did write a few (?) episodes of DS9). That guys vision just wasn't there in any of the series past TNG.

And as for Enterprise? WTF was wrong with those people? After 9/11, that could have been an INCREDIBLE show–easily, they could have made that show about moral absolutism in the face of alien danger… but no… they had to make Scott Bakula some wussed out version of Kirk. Blech.
I'm not promoting my comics. So, don't read them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
Walrus at 3:29PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
SarahN

What do you think?

I DON'T LIKE STAR TREK!!!!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved