Media Megaforum

star trek voyager DVD complete set costs $830?!!
subcultured at 9:03PM, April 3, 2007
(online)
they've started playing voyager on spike TV and I was gonna start collecting the series, but now i'm kinda hesitating.

one season costs $100!
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5781589
why so expensive?

TNG only costs 50 bucks a season and $442 for the entire set. stupid paramount! i'm glad you and WB are crashing out of businness.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Hawk at 10:38PM, April 3, 2007
(online)
Man, I couldn't even begin to explain that… Next Generation seems like it was a lot better than Voyager.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
isukun at 12:00AM, April 4, 2007
(online)
It's just new age inflation. It's also the reason why they can sell 12 episodes of Dr. Who for $100. Next generation has probably been out longer, so it's price was likely lower when it first came out. They can't really mark up the next box set on a series with an established price to follow the current pricing trends. People aren't going to buy a season of a series for twice what the previous season cost. So when a new series comes out, they mark up the first season to match current pricing trends and follow it through however many seasons the show was on. Look on the bright side, though, Voyager is still cheaper than Dr. Who which comes in at a whopping $100 for 12 episodes (individual box sets are slightly more expensive, but also contain twice as many episodes). Same with most of those HBO series.

Of course it could also be to reflect that only the really die hard trekkies would even consider buying Voyager. They'll shell out the money regardless of the price. I can't imagine why anyone else would want to buy the show, it was easily the worst of the Star Trek series until Enterprise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
SpANG at 6:39AM, April 4, 2007
(online)
One reason alone is why some people will buy this. Geri Ryan.

Seven of nine was hot… but not that hot. ;)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
isukun at 6:51AM, April 4, 2007
(online)
Perhaps. Although I never found her hot enough to watch the series for free, let alone pay for it. There are plenty of other shows you can watch for sexy women.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Aurora Moon at 8:56AM, April 4, 2007
(offline)
I actually happen to like voyager… yes, it didn't really have that “Star Trekky” feeling that TNG and the oringal Star Trek had… it was far too darker for that sort of thing. even had more bloody scenes too.

But it was still a good series when you don't try to compare between all series. Yes, I know they all belong to the star trek universe and relates to each other in terms of timeline, etc… but each is basically thier own TV show, not follow-up to each other.

it's like how there can be different tv shows based on the same thing.. take Doctor Who, for example. did you know that there's two seperate shows based off Doctor who, called the Torchwood series and the other one with Captain Jack or whatever the hell that man who travelled with doctor and rose is called.

Some say Torchwood is an sucky show just because it doesn't really have the Doctor as the main character, but that's not really fair to me at all.

AFter all, Torchwood as an TV series is an intersting series in it own right… after all, serect organization that not even the main gorvenment knows about, who's after supernatural and alien stuff not only to hunt it, so that they can learn and tame it for the well-being of humanity.

In a sense, I say Voyager is the same way. I find that it gerenally has decent epodises and intersting storylines once you get over how “un-star trekky” the feeling is.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
reconjsh at 9:29AM, April 4, 2007
(online)
um…

Yay for Netflix and a dual layer dvd burner, eh? ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
subcultured at 9:56AM, April 4, 2007
(online)
my favorite of all trek is voyager. for all the reasons Aurora mentioned.
plus they broke the mold in a lot of places…
captain was a woman, the asian guy gets some girls(although he didn't get into relationships), They had a lot of mistakes that couildn't be reversed, more in depth with the borg, oh yea and seven (a woman who was stronger than most of the chaps on that vessel)
J
Neilsama at 10:20AM, April 4, 2007
(online)
I don't get it. I understand that it was the most experimental Trek show, but that alone didn't do it for me. It still has to be interesting, and I have yet to sit through a single episode. I don't think I like a single character on that show.

The thing about Geri Ryan is that she's dressed up in this tight, constricting outfit on the show. Girls are not sexy when it looks like they're having trouble breathing. For goodness sake, cut her out of that thing and let her breath!

Trek doesn't really supply the babes. About the closest it ever came was with Tasha Yar and Counsellor Troi. Again: Next Generation = Superior
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
ccs1989 at 10:32AM, April 4, 2007
(online)
Geez that's a lot of cash. That's like “Anime Box Set” expensive. But I guess people who are hardcore fans WILL pay that much. That's the problem with obsessions.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Hawk at 11:01AM, April 4, 2007
(online)
subcultured
captain was a woman, the asian guy gets some girls(although he didn't get into relationships), They had a lot of mistakes that couildn't be reversed, more in depth with the borg, oh yea and seven (a woman who was stronger than most of the chaps on that vessel)

See, those were some of the things that bugged me about it. It felt a little like they were going out of their way to be as proactive and “break-the-mold” as possible… though those irreversible mistakes sound like a nice touch. But admittedly I didn't watch much of the series, so they may very well have put all those decisions to good use. I think mainly by the time Voyager hit I was simply tired of the Star Trek formula (for me it happened during DS9) so it just didn't get its fair shake with me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
SpANG at 1:04PM, April 4, 2007
(online)
See, I guess I'm not as big a trek fan as I thought. TNG, Voyager, DS9, even Enterprise* were all pretty much the same to me.

*except for the opening credit song. Yuck.
ozoneocean at 1:50PM, April 4, 2007
(online)
It would have had a better start if the captain didn't look and sound like a character from Doctor Quin Medicine woman.

It got a lot better in the later episodes when they got rid of that elfgirl who had a relationship with the annoying cook, and that 7 of 9 joined to show off her lovely body… The show started to really find its feet quite nicely after a while. That seems to be the pattern with Star Trek shows; they always start of really weakly, but pick up strength eventually and turn into something decent in the end.

-apart from that “Enterprise” POS.

Who else though that Voyager ripped off Red Dwarf? Come on; most of the crew dead, they're lost in space, they have an annoying hologram… Well there were other things too but I can't remember them right now!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
SpANG at 1:53PM, April 4, 2007
(online)
Red Dwarf! Now that's a show!
Rich at 2:50PM, April 4, 2007
(online)
ICK! I like Voyager a lot, but I can not even begin to consider dropping THAT sort of cash on the whole series.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Priceman at 8:49PM, April 4, 2007
(online)
subcultured
one season costs $100!
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5781589
why so expensive?

Two words: Jeri Ryan

But seriously, that's messed up. I'm a fan of voyager and TNG, and I can't see a reason for the price difference.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
subcultured at 9:42PM, April 4, 2007
(online)
i'll be recording the eps off spiketv (although less clearer that DVD)…it's paramount's fault that they don't get my money. damn overpricing.
J
Nerfherder at 10:08PM, April 4, 2007
(offline)
Well, for Doctor Who you usually are best picking up each series boxset during it's first week of release when it retails for $59.99.
After that most stores keep it to around $79.99. If you see anywhere charging more than $80 for it, then they're ripping you off (Suncoast, Tower Records (extinct) and Sam Goody's I'm looking at you all.)

Paramount does overcharge on their Star Trek boxsets, as they know the fans will pay for it. Then only after a year or so, or if they rerelease said boxsets with new artwork, slimer boxes, etc, then the older versions drop in price (happened with TOS and TNG sets.)

Now as for Torchwood, it got picked up to air on BBC America this summer, and so the series DVDs will show up after it's done it's run. I doubt there will be a boxset, as the series was only released on individual discs in the UK, but the BBC may put them into box-sets after the second series in 2008.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:11PM
ozoneocean at 10:02AM, April 5, 2007
(online)
ian_feverdream
Now that you mentioned it, I never noticed it but the Asian guy, if he exists at all, never gets the girl.
It depends on what you define as “Asian”… But didn't Mr Sulu have a girl once or twice in the original Star Trek? He was my favourite character because of his groovy voice. And ironically, he's gay :)
Well the actor, not the character.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
subcultured at 11:26AM, April 5, 2007
(online)
ian_feverdream
subcultured
the asian guy gets some girls(although he didn't get into relationships),
Now that you mentioned it, I never noticed it but the Asian guy, if he exists at all, never gets the girl. “Harold and Kumar go to White Castle” was the first that I can think of. You know how the black guy is always the first to be killed in a Horror movie. A couple of weeks back, my and my co workers couldn't think of a single Asian guy being killed in one. Asians should demand Teen Slasher Equality!
But I'm off on a tangent.

commercials that piss me off is the one with a white guy with an asian girl. mostly home depot kind of commercials. come on! asian guys get white girls too!

and we need more good asian men leading actors..not ones that are imported. so people will see that asian men are versatile and not just martial arts actors
J

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved