Media Megaforum

Star Trek....anybody see it yet, and if so, what did you think?
ttyler at 9:32AM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I see it tomorrow, but if anybody has seen it, please ring in with your opinion.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
Hawk at 11:06AM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I was going to hold off for a while. I really haven't enjoyed Star Trek since The Next Generation was on the air, and after that I felt like they oversaturated TV with the Star Trek universe. So it felt like the franchise needed a much longer break than this movie was allowing. The fact that the trailer gives it a “Michael Bay” feel had me even more apprehensive.

However, it's getting REALLY good reviews so far. And that's after 100 reviews already on Rotten Tomatoes. I think if I can get somebody to see it with me then I just might do it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Hakoshen at 7:57PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
I just saw it and let me saw it's the most awesome movie I've seen in years; and I've seen pretty much ALL of the stuff that's come out lately. I wont go into details, but man oh frakking man Spock seriously kicked some ass in this movie. I'm only going to say this;

Do not, for any reason EVER, talk about Spock's mama.

You have been warned.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
skoolmunkee at 1:01AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Is there a reason why they make Kirk look all evil in the posters?
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
zaymac at 9:49AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
Is there a reason why they make Kirk look all evil in the posters?

That's not evil. The evil look is now referred to as the badass look.

I use it in my comic all the time.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
ozoneocean at 11:12AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
zaymac
I use it in my comic all the time.
Yeah, but it works with bears and rabbits and things… at least the way you draw them :)
With that kid in Star Trek, the only way he could be a “badass” is if he runs out of TP. -_-

I still can't get over the fact they used such fricken wet behind the ears looking, half formed, immature foetuses in the roles. Aesthetically it's just really annoying.

But aside from that, it looks like it might be good :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
zaymac at 1:20PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
The whole young cast doesn't bother me all that much.

I was never much of a big Trek fan.

My wife is always watching The Next Generation reruns. It seems like every episode they were being chased by a giant Blue orb.

I walked in one time while she was watching it and asked if the crew was being chased by a blue orb again. She said “No, tonight it's Purple.”

This looks fun and has a bit of action in it though.

Walrus at 5:51PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
You couldn't pay me to see that… Well, maybe you could, but it would have to be a shitload of money.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
ttyler at 11:21PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
My thoughts……nowhere as big as the hype behind it, but an above average popcorn flick. The first 10 minutes, rock….I liked the young Spock and kirk stuff. i liked the villian, but he was ultimately kinda weak. Third act was a bit weak. I loved the score (Same guy who did the Incredibles, WHICH, I loved.) While the effects were top notch, my 2 biggest gripes were too many up close shots during battles. (difficult at times, to see where things were in relation to the other…) main gripe…..too many lens flare effects! Why do you need a lens flare, while 2 people are simply talking? Its like they just bought the lens flare program, and were so excited to use it, they used it in every scene.
Even after all these gripes, it's a beautiful film to look at, and I liked all the new actors. urban ruled as Bones. 7 out of 10
wrath of Khan is still the champ!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
ozoneocean at 12:12AM, May 9, 2009
(online)
ttyler
wrath of Khan is still the champ!!
That's what I'm thinking. :)

Why use damn lens flares anyway? It was an interesting thing when it was real, but all it really indicated wasn't a dramatic effect, it just showed the technique of film making- taking you out of the illusion of being inside the fantasy of the story and letting you know there's a camera in between you and the action. It's illogical that they'd use it as a digital effect.. But people DO T_T

NickGuy at 2:25AM, May 9, 2009
(online)
lens flare should always be avoided

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Product Placement at 5:18AM, May 9, 2009
(online)
Isn't the idea behind the young cast to point out that the crew is just starting out their adventures? They're supposed to be just graduated from space school and thrown into a scenario that's supposed to be way out of their league. Heck, if it was William Shatner who was reprising his role as Kirk, I wouldn't be worried even if he was up against Zargox the galactic destroyer.

I haven't seen the movie but allot of people who I known are giving it big thumbs up. Even people who I won't classify as trek nerds. I think I'm planing to see it tomorrow.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
ozoneocean at 5:49AM, May 9, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Isn't the idea behind the young cast to point out that the crew is just starting out their adventures? They're supposed to be just graduated from space school and thrown into a scenario that's supposed to be way out of their league.
That's just a dumb kiddy sort of thing though isn't it? I mean, the idea is stupid when you actually think about it:

You have to think of it in a more sensible way- You have a warship/exploration vessel, you crew it with officers with life and experience under their belts in senior roles and the kiddies down the bottom of the ladder, that's how it works everywhere except for where the aristocracy controls the military and then you have stupid kids in senior roles.

Just from that model of real life organisation (which the show always flowed mostly), it would've been nice to see a more realistic (ha ha) treatment of the early days of these young sprogs. Like Kirk serving under a captain somewhere and all the rest of those kids working their way up the ranks. That can be pretty cool since that authenticity lends it a little more force. That Starship troopers show (animated one) did that with it's characters, even in that movie they did of it.

————————–
-But that's NOT a criticism of this movie though OK? I haven't seen it and I'm sure it was brilliant however they did it.

It's just that this forced concept of making all characters younger come what may for no real reason whatever, this slavish kow-towing to everything “youth” is beyond a joke these days… As if kids can only identify with other teens? WTF? When I was little ALL my heroes were adults. All older than every single one of those main actors in this film. Man, even the pop-singers I liked weren't young kids.

Product Placement at 6:24AM, May 9, 2009
(online)
Again, like I previously mentioned, I haven't seen the movie. However I've seen a feature trailer which told me how Kirk ended up in the captains chair if your interested in knowing Oz.

The real captain is killed and they're in a situation where they're unable to return home until they've solved the critical danger that's threatening this side of the universe. In that scenario, Kirk somehow manages to assume control of the ship.

This is just a speculation based on what I saw in a trailer. I intend to see the movie soon enough to find out for myself.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
skoolmunkee at 12:45PM, May 9, 2009
(online)
I figured that the youth angle was also about giving them more space to work with. They can't go older, the adult versions with those actors are pretty difficult to replace or work around. But with a younger crew, just starting out in their careers, there is all the room between then and when they become ‘adults.’ It cashes in on popular actors and attempts to draw in a younger crowd to an old series, but I think it was also a pragmatic choice to give them as much future possibility as… possible.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
lefarce at 5:43PM, May 9, 2009
(online)
It took them about 40 years to finally give these characters a shred of personality. Easily the best movie of the Summer, and I daresay the year. Watchmen, Wolverine, GI Joe, Transformers? Nah fuck that.

Star Trek, baby. See this shit now.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
isukun at 12:37AM, May 10, 2009
(online)
I went to see it with nine other guys from the studio and we all pretty much agreed that the movie was rather mediocre. All ten of us hated the camera work. It is really sad that directors are moving towards this standard these days. It bugs me when people just let bad choreography and cheap special effects slide just because the director decides to shake the camera around so much that you can't make out what's happening. There were several shots I saw where they used this technique so they could actually not render out special effects during a battle (I guess they were just hoping people wouldn't notice). The actual fight scenes were often atrocious (God, that Sulu sword fight had to be the lamest looking thing I've seen in a movie in years). But I guess people will continue to let these things slide and claim the visuals are outstanding simply because they CAN'T SEE WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!

The story had some serious issues in parts. Amazing coincidences kind of blow the plausibility. The fan service more often than not seemed forced. And some of the logic behind the character motivation seemed a bit on the lacking side. The movie was also a half hour too short, at least. It just felt like it was missing scenes in places.

To their credit, I will give them a couple of nods for some nice touches. They did acknowledge that there isn't any sound in space in the earlier scene where the woman gets sucked out of the ship. Plus, Starfleet seems to have wised up a bit when it comes to ship design since the older series and movies. Panels do not explode on the bridge just because the ship is taking damage. I did also like some of the design elements, like making the bridge have a large window with a HUD on it instead of the older style view screens. Would have been nice if they didn't cheap out on some of the sets (you could tell some of the scenes were just shot in a local refinery or power plant).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
mlai at 6:58PM, May 10, 2009
(online)
Isukun said the movie is "rather mediocre“, not ”it sucks." He must've really liked it. LOL everyone go watch nao.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
lefarce at 9:12PM, May 10, 2009
(online)
Regardless it's still way better than anything this pile of shit series has produced in fourty years.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
isukun at 10:28PM, May 10, 2009
(online)
I won't disagree with that. I was never a Trekie, so I went in hoping for something not too Trek-like. I wasn't entirely disappointed in that regard, I just don't see it as the second coming of Christ that the reviewers seem to be billing it as. They're getting too soft these days, especially considering how seriously lacking this year's Summer lineup is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
DAJB at 3:54AM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Hmmm - without giving away any plot spoilers …

Plot: Okay-ish. Fairly typical SciFi stuff. Full of gaping holes and relying on a really corny twist of sorts. Badly written. The kind of stuff that would make you cringe in any other movie except … Well, Hell - it's Star Trek, dammit!

SFX: Lots and lots and lots of epic space action! This is what people mean when they say it's Star Trek doing Star Wars! Agree with Tim Tyler re the over-use of close-ups and lens flare during action sequences but, hey, it still looks fantastic!

Cast/acting: Apologies to Nichelle but … Uhura was NEVER that thin! Nope. Not even when she was young! Kirk and Spock - spot on. (Spock on?!) Simon Pegg as Scotty - okay but the character is only there for comic relief. Plays to Pegg's strengths, obviously, but a bit of a shame. Chekov and Sulu - okay. But McCoy … wow! He doesn't have many lines but he steals every scene he's in! Forget the earnest constipated frown he wore all through LotR and Pathfinder, Karl Urban IS a young DeForest Kelley!

Humour: Present and correct! More so than in any Star Trek series since the original and any of the movies except The Voyage Home, this movie is not afraid to throw a few real laughs into the mix!

Overall, I don't think it's possible to over-emphasize just what a great cast this is. Without them, this would be barely a notch or two above … I don't know - Riddick? As it is, it easily scores a solid 7 out of 10 and may just be heading towards an 8. Not a great movie but, just possibly, a great Star Trek movie!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
CharleyHorse at 6:41AM, May 11, 2009
(offline)
I grew up watching the original Kirk franchise television series and I may be the nearest thing to a Trekie commenting on this subject. Hell, I used to always play Spock when us kids played out Trek scenarios on our front porch or the back yard. I liked being Spock because not only would he think things through but because he was strong enough to seriously kick ass whenever things got out of control, and a front porch made for a pretty good starship bridge in our imaginations. Everyone else, of course, wanted to be Kirk because HE got to sit on the porch swing while the rest of us had to stand at our bridge posts.

Haven't seen the film yet. The wife and I like to let the crowds die down before trudging off to the big screen events. We are both looking forward to seeing this, though. We WANT to see the early incarnations of these characters and how the current franchise owners envision their backgrounds and how they came together as friends or at least as coworkers.

We are NOT expecting a coherent plot line with a well defined villain with meaningful motivation. Hell, this IS Star Trek after all, and the inclusion of any of those elements would just about ruin the film. Star Trek is supposed to suck where the plot is concerned. It's a tradition.

Character interaction and action adventure is where this franchise phenomenon shines, and that's what we're looking forward to seeing sometime next week perhaps. So it goes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
zaymac at 6:45AM, May 11, 2009
(online)
I just saw it last night, and I agree with a few points. It was good but not great. I think the problem was, was that I was listening to they hype machine for this movie start up about 3 to 4 weeks ago, and It didn't quite live up to the hype.

The first ten minutes were awesome, and a bit emotional (My wife started crying, I was like “What the… Crying? At a ST Movie”) but started off strong.

Ultimately a good movie but not as great as everyone says it is.

Including my wife who said “It's the best movie she's seen in years! Maybe ever!” Take that quote with a grain of salt because she also likes the Matthew Broderick version of Godzilla. So be it.

Product Placement at 11:05AM, May 11, 2009
(online)
I just saw the film myself.

They did allot of stuff to this movie where I expected would piss of some Hardcore Trek fans but since I happened to sit next to a Hardcore Trek fan who liked the movie allot, I guess they did a good job serving the regular fan base. Also, there sure was allot of people seeing this movie that I'd never expect to see going to a Star Trek flick.

I'm curious though. The federation now knows (thanks to future Spock) that this sun is gonna go nova at some point, thus destroying Romulus, thus triggering an insane lunatic to go into the past to destroy the Federation. In the future, they might initiate the “stop the sun from going boom” plan earlier to save Romulus, making all those evil pointy ears to be ever so grateful. Mr.Bad ass will not go back in time and the alternative time line will not be created. But then we're back at the spot where the sun goes Nova, the time travel occurs again and we're back to the alternative time line. The universe is doomed to stay inside this loop from now on.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Hawk at 12:37PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
After seeing the movie, I have a few things to bring up:

- It was a fun diversion.

- Is this the kick-start to an alternate universe? I mean, if things continue from the movie, should we expect events to be the same as we saw in previous episodes and movies? (i.e. Kahn, tribbles, malevolent entities that pit the crew against each other, etc.) Or is this the beginning of a new original series Star Trek?

- Why so many glaring lights and lens flares?! Holy cow!
DAJB at 3:17PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I'm curious though. The federation now knows (thanks to future Spock) that this sun is gonna go nova at some point, thus destroying Romulus, thus triggering an insane lunatic to go into the past to destroy the Federation. In the future, they might initiate the “stop the sun from going boom” plan earlier to save Romulus, making all those evil pointy ears to be ever so grateful. Mr.Bad ass will not go back in time and the alternative time line will not be created. But then we're back at the spot where the sun goes Nova, the time travel occurs again and we're back to the alternative time line. The universe is doomed to stay inside this loop from now on.
Yup!

That's the trouble with almost all stories that use time travel as a plot device. It makes no sense; it creates more questions than it answers; and nothing that happens has any meaning since it can all be changed again by someone else going back into the past. It's very weak story-telling. To my mind it ranks right up there with those stories we were told not to write when we were in primary school … You know, the ones that end: “And it was all a dream …!”But yeah - any sequels will continue where this one left off, and ignore the events of the other TV series and movies, I'm sure. In fact I suspect that was the whole point. Having to worry about that much continuity can be so restricting!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Product Placement at 5:08PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
That's exactly the reason why I thought that die hard Trek fans would be more insulted by this movie. Apparently it's being hailed by many of them as a fantastic genre reboot.

I guess they were so tired of the last few movies and series that anything that promised to state that it never happened would sound fantastic to them.

Also, one of them told me that he was hoping to see if they'll make a new wrath of Khan movie and/or if they'd tackle the doomsday device in a future movie.
The doomsday device was a giant planet eating worm like machine from the original series. I guess people find that very cool.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Hawk at 8:47AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
Here's an interesting article about the new movie:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1611063/story.jhtml

And here is some grazed info:
- A sequel is already under way.
- All the important actors are under contract to do additional movies if they remain successful.
- It IS a reboot, and the characters ARE in an alternate Star Trek universe. This means the writers aren't held to anything that happened in the original series.
- The future is unpredictable.
magickmaker at 9:41PM, May 12, 2009
(offline)
I really liked it. Granted, I never really watched any Star Trek stuff before this, but it was a fun film.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
ozoneocean at 3:20AM, May 13, 2009
(online)
DAJB
Having to worry about that much continuity can be so restricting!
Perhaps, but it's also a great sources of inspiration… in shitty Hollywood they don't have much of that. If it's not a remake or a sequel it has a hard time getting made… And sequels are usually bad.

But as to the inspiration thing- I had no fricken idea who Kahn was when I saw that film, I didn't realise he was from the original series. They did really well carrying on that old storyline a movie. That and the second Next Generation movie were really good.

Most Trek movies are sad… They seem to go along the lines of people having a reunion each time and then going off on an adventure together.

-First part of the film is always similar:
Assemble the guys. They smile and great each other, they grumble, they meet in horribly contrived situations… blah blah -___-
I bet there was a variation of that in this film. Although it's supposed to be “for the first time” or whatever now.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved