Debate and Discussion

Sterotypes
Aurora Moon at 6:09PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
Just thought it needed it own thread snice it was getting a little off track in that Comic Sexuality thread. lol.

Here we can just discuss the negative aspects of a sterotypes, and the postives, if there is any. =)

As I mentioned in the thread, I'm actually a goth… but not the sterotypical kind. I don't even wear black or red everyday, even though those are some of my favortive colors.

People, even some of the “goths” seems to assume that being an goth is all about wearing all black and red, being angsty 24/7, etc…..As an result, there's a lot of negativity towards Goths in palicular, and also seen as nothing but an angsty teen thing.

But the reality is… Every group always got their own Sub-groups, if that makes sense. :)
Not every goth is the same. here, i'll list the various types of goths, with some cheek-in-check comments…

Techno Goth: The type who likes to not only listen to Gothic music, but Techno too as well. They like insturdal streetwear very much. They're also into the pvc look too as well.
Here's a example of how they may look:
http://www.glitchnyc.com/images/plastikWrap.jpg
http://www.plastikwrap.com/collections/system/pics/60_1141061973.jpg
http://www.plastikwrap.com/collections/system/pics/73_1141062397.jpg

Punk Goth: This is actually pretty much what I am. Basically, if I had to speak in general, I would say a Punk Goth is people who are between the two groups of Goth and Punk. Punk Goths have some traits of both groups but not quite having the extreme traits that each group can have. And of course having the styles of both groups, styles can vary a lot. From the “Schoolgirl gone bad/nuts” look… to this. The last link is actually how I pretty much wear my clothes.

Vampire Goth: Ah, yes… one of the Goth types that greatly define the sterotypes of being Goth. often wears All black, or other dark colors… is into Vamprism Fetish, likes blood, and all the other dark morbid stuff. Wishes She/he could be a vampire for real. Isn't really into Music… they're just there for the type of “community” that being a goth provides for them so that they can live out some of thier fantasies.
How they may look:
http://images.quizilla.com/L/LA/LAD/LadyTigerEyes/1130454719_ampiregoth.jpg
would post more but I think you get the idea.

Pirate Goth: Now, this is one of my favortive goth types… lol. They're all about the pirates, hardcore. most of thier t-shirts at least features a skull and crossbones. They also love the striped leggings and all the other junk that makes up for a piratey look. If it was legal to carry actual swords and have swordfights in public, they'd proably do so. one of my friends are this type, and needless to say… he's very fun to be around at times. ;)
would post a picture of what a pirate goth looks but I think I've described how they dress very well.

Futuristic Goth: They're the type who likes to dress like they're straight out of a bad 80's Futurstic “end-of-the-world” Movie. They're all about the Technology and the futurstic stuff…Looks very simlar to an Techno Goth, and even have some simlar tastes as one. So there's some debate as to whenever they're actually one and the same.

Fairie Goth: Into Medival stuff very much, and loves period clothing a lot. tends to model their fashions after images like this: http://www.celticpagan.com/shop/images/P018_brat.jpg
They're also into Celtic and Fantasy-related stuff. they're almost simlar to the Pirate Goths for their love of Stripes, save for the skulls part. Like the Vampire Goths, they're not in the this type of group for music or anything… they're just in for the community where they can be amongst their “Fairie-kind”. Also loves Ressiance Fairs for that sort of thing.

Hardcore Goth: Alas, another type of Goth that often Defines the sterotypes of being Goth more than I'd like. You've proably seen this type more than once… You know, the types with Huge spikes on thier collars, black pvc, heavy makeup and the works.
I'd like to say something nice about this type… but I tend to hate extremists of any group, so I won't. I won't even diginfy them with a link to a picture of thier styles.

Colorful Goth: Also known as the Raver-type Goth. They love to dress in blindingly bright neon clothing espeically if it can glow under black lights in clubs. They like to think that Neon colors or simply any bright colors is the new “Black”. Their clothes is the only different thing than a regular goth, but otherwise they've got the same attudites, outlooks as any other goth.
Would post a picture, but very diffcult to find a picture of them. :(

Princess Goth: Or the Gothic Lolita look as the Japanese would call it. This type is all about the elegance, the frills, etc…
they'd wear something like this: http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/blous/131418/131418-w.jpg
only slightly more gothic.

Sexy Goth: Some people love this type, and some people hate this type? Me? I'm indifferent to this type. Ever heard of the Sudice Girls?
Yep… the type who likes to dress up SUPER sexy and stuff… and a lot of them seems to have a strange Fondness for Bettie Page's look…. But yah, this type will not just dress super slutty… sometimes they just do it 50's style.

That's about it. I mainly posted this because I wanted to kinda educate those who would proably be prejudiced against goths in some form…

And this thread is for people to discuss about how the “groups” that they're in has it fair of negativity too.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
ZeroVX at 6:36PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
So….

How do people get emos mixed up with Goths?

Just out of curiousity.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:59PM
crazyninny at 6:38PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
Oh yeah, I'm goth too, but I'm a ‘Artistic’ goth at most. I do dress the part of a goth, love going to Hot Topic, and listening to soul sucking music, but hell, I'M NOT EVIL DAMNIT. ><

I'm done now. Thank you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
crazyninny at 6:42PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
ZeroVX
So….

Just out of curiousity.

Cuz they kinda dress like us. Some emo's start as goth becuase they think its all deppressy, but then they get all cuty and stuff. @_@
They'er not really like us, they always whine about something, and want attention for having problems and cutting, which is NOT the answer. Cutting gets you NO WHERE.

Plus, they don't really listen to rock or metal, they might, but tends to be emo music. *Oh! And Emo's always look deppresed. Goths can go nuts on how they want to look like.*
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Aurora Moon at 6:44PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
ZeroVX
So….

Just out of curiousity.

well, there's that running joke that being emo is just being a knock-off Goths snice of how both the groups are known for being depressed…

and CrazyNinny, I know what you mean. I do dislike it when people assume that I worship satan and is “easy” just because I like fishnet stockings.

one of the reasons why I made this thread.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Priest_Revan at 7:31PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
Furries

There are several types of furries in this world… and almost every single person gets them mixed up with each other. Let me explain:

Online Furries: This is usually of community of furries who only keep it online, like myself. Many online furries are fur artists, but most are fur fans, who only look at fur art.
———————————–
-Yiffers- These are online furs who draw yiff (or read it), and for those of you who don't know what that is… its furry sex. Called “yiff” for the sound that foxes make, it's often associated with every single fur that exists in the world… kind of sad actually.
-Burned Furs- Furries who are against yiff. These people are the ones who realize that there is a problem in the community and try to change it. The yiffers and the burned furs have been having their small fights for a very long time.
———————————–
RL Furries: These people may be online a lot, but unlike the online furs, they take into the real world. Conventions, for example, usually have many of these people who dress up like the animals they love (fursuits) and sometimes make the sounds of animals… I've seen this in the real world, it scares me. Just like online furs, Yiffers and Burned furs exist in this world too. Just to be more specific, though, some RL furries don't wear fursuits and instead just sell art in the real world… but that's not a lot.

Other: Yeah, there is an other. Other furries would include people who are into animal sex (ewww) and plushophilia (sex with like, plushy animals). Other furries include those who start to believe in religions based on animals.

Fur Sexuality: Yes, there are more gay (lesbian) and bisexual furries than there are straight ones (according to the most recent furry survey, which I think I participated in). Only a small percentage of furries are into beastiality, plushophilia, and necrophilia (hell, I don't even know if there are that many).

Yes, everything is true. This is all from the eyes of a furry who's been in the community for a while.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
mlai at 7:48PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
Every child in the world was once a “furry,” so what phenomenon occurs that causes most children to stop being interested in furries but for some to retain that interest into adulthood?

I guess it's the same sort of question to ask about those who are into cartoons/anime instead of watching movies and sitcoms like everyone else. If I had to answer that question… I would say because of the “pureness” and “cleanliness” of something that is drawn compared to something that is live-action. When I am watching hand-drawn lines and cel colors, I feel relaxed compared to if I'm watching “gritty” live-action.

CG movies is a different beast. I'm not sure how to quantify that one yet.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Priest_Revan at 8:07PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
mlai
Every child in the world was once a “furry,” so what phenomenon occurs that causes most children to stop being interested in furries but for some to retain that interest into adulthood?

I guess it's the same sort of question to ask about those who are into cartoons/anime instead of watching movies and sitcoms like everyone else. If I had to answer that question… I would say because of the “pureness” and “cleanliness” of something that is drawn compared to something that is live-action. When I am watching hand-drawn lines and cel colors, I feel relaxed compared to if I'm watching “gritty” live-action.

CG movies is a different beast. I'm not sure how to quantify that one yet.

I'm a furry still into adulthood because I love being a kid and feeling like one. This art is one that really takes me back to things like… the Robin Hood movie from Disney (the anthro one).

7/0

Aurora Moon at 8:11PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
mlai

That's true. Just take a look at Disney's stuff, his characters could easily be called Furry…. or even Looney Tunes, although I hate Looney Tunes to a degree. =)

and of course even I'm gulity of loving Disney's stuff at one point. and of course I loved drawing animals, and even tried to make realstic furry art at one point…wasn't too successful so I stopped.

And I guess that doesn't stop for some people because they still feel that type of connection with certain animals and such.

And plus, when you think about it, talking animals are just plain cool. ;)
kyupol at 8:33PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
Stereotypes are entertaining.

Sometimes they add to the funny value of a comic… even though it is a caricaturized version of a stereotype. :D
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
marine at 10:27PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
I'm a comic book guy so I'm angry, mildly overweight, and always online among other stuff.

Having said that I can say this is the worst post of mine, ever.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
bobhhh at 10:36PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
Our brain is hard wired to compare and contrast. If you see something you look for something else in your experience for a frame of reference. Our thiniking wants to categorize and pidgeonhole everything. And as a tool for creating order out of chaos, there is a place for stereotyping.

The problem arises when you judge individuals soley on stereotypical traits. This is lazy thinking. You can assume some basic things about someone based on a stereotypr, but if you make judgements about them and their personality and abilities without further study or query, then you are doomed to suffer from flawed and incomplete analyses.

Additionally, when insulting and unfair attributes are put forth as part of the profile, this is negative stereotyping, and has no use other than to further a secondary agenda. It is then that the stereotype is no longer for purposes of order, but instead functions to brand people unfairly with a set of negative characteristics they may or may not possess.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 4:58PM, Sept. 22, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
Our brain is hard wired to compare and contrast. If you see something you look for something else in your experience for a frame of reference. Our thiniking wants to categorize and pidgeonhole everything. And as a tool for creating order out of chaos, there is a place for stereotyping.

The problem arises when you judge individuals soley on stereotypical traits. This is lazy thinking. You can assume some basic things about someone based on a stereotypr, but if you make judgements about them and their personality and abilities without further study or query, then you are doomed to suffer from flawed and incomplete analyses.

Additionally, when insulting and unfair attributes are put forth as part of the profile, this is negative stereotyping, and has no use other than to further a secondary agenda. It is then that the stereotype is no longer for purposes of order, but instead functions to brand people unfairly with a set of negative characteristics they may or may not possess.

well said.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
riyuandpanja at 2:40AM, Oct. 4, 2007
(online)
Yeah stereotypes suck… but you can't help what anyone else thinks you just need to ignore them and be yourself. =3
www.freewebs.com/riyuandpanja (Comic homepage. My actual comic page is hosted here.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
nighthawk41 at 7:10PM, Oct. 5, 2007
(online)
ZeroVX
So….

Just out of curiousity.
Because the emo style stole a shitload of stuff from the goth style. I guarantee you, if an emo whent back in time 5 years, everyone would think he's goth. That's why goths usually hate the emo style; Because they stole alot from the goth style. And the goths hate emos thing is also the reason why I consider anyone who calles themselves emo/goth, a poser.
I'm not really sure I fall into a specific category of goth… The best I can come up with is industrial goth…
But yea, I'm not one of the “I hate everyone who doesn't think like me” goths. People think that because of stereotyping. It's the same with emos- If you see an emo, you assume “he slits his wrists and crys alot” (again, pretty much exactly what people thought of goths 5 years ago). It's stupid.

I think I'm trying to go somewhere with this, but I'm tired, and I don't feel like going on.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
Please make your sig either 250 x 100 or 468 x 60 pixels. Thankyou.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
mapaghimagsik at 7:30PM, Oct. 5, 2007
(offline)
My niche subgroup has to hate your niche subgroup because if we don't, there won't be any THEM.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
lothar at 4:00AM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
Aurora Moon
Pirate Goth: Now, this is one of my favortive goth types… lol. They're all about the pirates, hardcore. most of thier t-shirts at least features a skull and crossbones. They also love the striped leggings and all the other junk that makes up for a piratey look. If it was legal to carry actual swords and have swordfights in public, they'd proably do so.
hahahahha !! is that actually a style ? i must have pioneered that one , but you forgot to mention that their official pirate drink is always Rum ! and you have to have a pirate ship (aka - pirate car) with which to search for pirate booty !!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Aurora Moon at 9:28AM, Oct. 6, 2007
(offline)
lothar
Aurora Moon
Pirate Goth: Now, this is one of my favortive goth types… lol. They're all about the pirates, hardcore. most of thier t-shirts at least features a skull and crossbones. They also love the striped leggings and all the other junk that makes up for a piratey look. If it was legal to carry actual swords and have swordfights in public, they'd proably do so.
hahahahha !! is that actually a style ? i must have pioneered that one , but you forgot to mention that their official pirate drink is always Rum ! and you have to have a pirate ship (aka - pirate car) with which to search for pirate booty !!

lol yeah. The priate goth was actually a little bit of a joke on my part. But it seems that there's always that one person who could pass off as an sterotypical pirate just by the way she/he dresses. Always with that skull shirt, the striped leggings, etc.
In fact few of my friends were like that so I used to Joke a lot that they were a pirates who was trying to pass off as goth. And it seems that lately I've been seeing more of that, so The pirate goth subgroup most likely exists. ;)
mlai at 11:06AM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
The skull + xbones look real good on a black sport bra top. I'd give it to more female characters, but it's hard to draw when distorted by breasts all the time. That's why the only time I used it was on a flatchested girl.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Priest_Revan at 4:24PM, Oct. 6, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
lothar
Aurora Moon

lol yeah. The priate goth was actually a little bit of a joke on my part. But it seems that there's always that one person who could pass off as an sterotypical pirate just by the way she/he dresses. Always with that skull shirt, the striped leggings, etc.
In fact few of my friends were like that so I used to Joke a lot that they were a pirates who was trying to pass off as goth. And it seems that lately I've been seeing more of that, so The pirate goth subgroup most likely exists. ;)

It did sound a little like a joke, but I've seen people actually dress somewhat like you described on a regular basis.

Some even really dress like pirates. :( :)

7/0

horseboy at 10:18PM, Oct. 16, 2007
(offline)
mapaghimagsik
My niche subgroup has to hate your niche subgroup because if we don't, there won't be any THEM.
I thought THEM was caused by nuclear explosions.:nerd:
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Pulse at 6:58PM, Jan. 12, 2008
(online)
even though I am not a goth or an emo or any label or social group. I tend to be open to all forms of interest I think rap is ok at times and heavy metal,goth,emo,classic rock,alternative is all fine by me I even catch myself singing the tune to a techno song once in a while. What I am trying to get at is in life there will be some people afraid of you because the way you look and some people who be-friend you no matter what you look like. I think the stereotype for comic lovers is totally misunderstood yeah there are some fat 30 year old comic fans but not all I bet most people on this site are just regular people trying to get known.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
flyingwind66 at 1:34PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
well I think people tend to hold themselves and others at a double standard…

“labeling is bad, stereotyping is bad” but we do it anyways, maybe because people like to have organization to how things are so life is more predictable but we all like some unpredictability too…

I don't like when people assume things about other people or ‘get the wrong idea’ because, personally, I HATE miscommunication… it makes complications and my relationship with my parents is all up the arse BECAUSE of miscommunication (won't get into that now) but I get upset when people out-right tell me “you're not goth”

so yeah, I'm a hypocrite.

now other stereotypes… like the ‘twink’ stereotype of the ‘pretty girl’ reading celebrity magazines who are ‘uber vacuous’ and have this inflection on their voice that makes it ‘whiny’ or ‘airy’… I never really thought people like that actually existed… but apparently they do and it was FRIGHTENING… gees a whole bunch of them didn't even know the meaning of ‘ignorant’ and we were in GRADE 12!!!

I think the point I was trying to make there was that most people fit into many stereotypes, like I play tabletop rpgs, read fantasy novels and go to conventions so I'm a ‘geek’, but then I'm a good student with high grades so I'm also a ‘nerd’, but then I'm also one of the ‘art kids’, we come into other classes with oil paint splattered on our foreheads and clay on our pants so I'm also an ‘art freak’ but then I like to wear all black with some red and corsets and frills at times so I'm a ‘goth’

in the end ‘stereotype’ only really describes one aspect of people's personalities and it's rare to find people who only ‘fit into one’
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
LoveandGuns at 3:15PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
Personally, I believe that even if we do have stereotypes and prejudiced thoughts of one another, we shouldn't concern ourselves to the point of absolutely anxiety and/or paranoia.

Example: I wear my Pink Floyd shirt and acknowledge that someone out there is probably going to think I'm a stoner, or at least suspect that I had done certain drugs while listening to the band's albums (luckily, I can state that I haven't for both).
The best way to handle the Humans' disappointing nature is by knowing that as long as you can laugh at yourself and know who YOU are, then don't worry about who someone else thinks.
K.A.L.A-dan! Ill Girl *coughs*
The Official Mother/Therapist of KALA-dan!

http://loveandguns90.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:46PM
Aurora Moon at 4:02PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
well said, flying-wind66. =D

Loveandguns, what you say is true too as well. =)

Although the point of this thread wasn't to worry about how humans thought about certain groups, or that labelling was “competely bad”.

There can be postive aspects to labelling sometimes, after all. It just depends on how it's used, of course.

the point of this thread was to discuss about how YOU define the group that you're supposedly a part of, etc. And how you feel about some people having a negative or postive view about your group. This way, we can discuss on how sterotypes affect people from both sides of the same coin.

I hope that makes sense.
LoveandGuns at 4:34PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
Ah, well I was trying to fit in how I felt about stereotyping, but I guess I went on too long about how one shouldn't worry about labeling and whatnot.

Also, it's great for comedians to use. Especially if it can make others laugh (like myself). :D
K.A.L.A-dan! Ill Girl *coughs*
The Official Mother/Therapist of KALA-dan!

http://loveandguns90.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:46PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 5:17PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
The thing that urks me about stereotyping is the fact that people get them wrong.

Emo and gothic are two completely different categories. I would explain, but it would take too much typing.

As for myself, I have no clue what to label myself as. I wear dark clothes (but not always), jeans, studded belt, chains, and converses. Although, I'm not dark or weepy. I'm mostly apathetic. And I listen to led zepplin.

…Thus, concluding that I fit into a stereotype of my own.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Aurora Moon at 6:09PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
LoveandGuns
Also, it's great for comedians to use. Especially if it can make others laugh (like myself). :D

Yeah, that could be conidsered a postive use. even better when it's the type of joke that basically offends nobody. (because of how it's so utterly ridicous, that even the metioned group can't help but laugh).
mhowad at 6:13PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)

Growing up I was raised a “jock”. I didn't even realise it.

Throughout Highschool, I was in honors clases and the concert and pep band. It is not a stereotype to say that all the “honors” kids are also “music” kids and “drama” kids. They didn't beleive me when i told them that I was a jock.

On the basketball team, everyone knew that I was suposed to be really smart, but I because of this i knew just as much about sports as any of them. They accepted me as a “jock” but would never beleive that I was a “band geek”.

Eventually I proved both groups that i was indeed a “jock” and a “geek” and geuss what it got me? No label at all. Now I'm just “Howdoggie”. Not the greatest nickname, but I have heard much worse.

Also, I have a question about Converse sneakers. They are hands down my favorite brand of sneaker. I don't wear the classic high top all stars though, I wear basketball sneakers like the “D-Wade's”.

Does anybody know how converse, the original basketball shoe, became the stereotypical footwear of the millenium?
He's in his own little world

http://www.drunkduck.com/Little_World/
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Aurora Moon at 6:16PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
DancingChaos
As for myself, I have no clue what to label myself as. I wear dark clothes (but not always), jeans, studded belt, chains, and converses. Although, I'm not dark or weepy. I'm mostly apathetic. And I listen to led zepplin.

…Thus, concluding that I fit into a stereotype of my own.

you sound like my boyfriend. He wears the same things, down to the converse sneakers. and he's always conidsered himself punk (not the hardcore kind). It's mainly because he's a heavy metal music lover. Even though he does like other types of bands too.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved