Media Megaforum

Street Memories
Renga Studio at 1:16PM, Nov. 10, 2009
(offline)
If you're a (former) viewer of Sesame Street, is there anything you'd like to say about it here? You know, like what the show was like before a certain furry, red Muppet and his ilk started gumming up the works.
Renga: How are you everyone !!
Renga: All your weather are control by me.
Renga: I has a weather machine.
DrunkDuck: What you say !!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
ozoneocean at 2:02PM, Nov. 10, 2009
(online)
?

You mean elmo or some other, newer crappy arrival?
I loved it when I was a young kid, then got sick of it and only enjoyed Playschool (Australian version), but as I got older I realised how cool Sesame Street was and stared to watch it again occasionally. Classic old style Sesame Street was a beautiful thing. For years we got the really old episodes here, and they always had those really old cartoon shorts and other awesome old 70's live action shorts in between the newer bits. - like the one about the glowing hot metal being turned into a I-beam, or the pie throwing guy, or the one about the girl talking about how her dad made a three legged stool… the Muppet remake of the Mmmhn Mmmhn song, and of course ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE, SIX SEVEN EIGHT NINE TEN, ELEVEN TWEEEEEEELVE!!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
therealtj at 3:47PM, Nov. 10, 2009
(online)
Man, if you don't remember how great that show was, you must have had a pretty bad childhood. Elmo was always my least favorite muppet though. Probably because when I was playing with a tickle-me toss-me Elmo doll, the little bastard landed on my head and gave me a bad knot.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Renga Studio at 4:47PM, Nov. 10, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
?

You mean elmo or some other, newer crappy arrival?

(Renga points at his nose with one hand, while pointing at ozone with the other.)

ozoneocean
I loved it when I was a young kid, then got sick of it and only enjoyed Playschool (Australian version), but as I got older I realised how cool Sesame Street was and stared to watch it again occasionally. Classic old style Sesame Street was a beautiful thing. For years we got the really old episodes here, and they always had those really old cartoon shorts and other awesome old 70's live action shorts in between the newer bits. - like the one about the glowing hot metal being turned into a I-beam, or the pie throwing guy, or the one about the girl talking about how her dad made a three legged stool… the Muppet remake of the Mmmhn Mmmhn song, and of course ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE, SIX SEVEN EIGHT NINE TEN, ELEVEN TWEEEEEEELVE!!

Groovy, ozone, groovy. B) Nowadays I feel like a stoner watching some of those trippy animated segments, except without having to depend on drugs to enjoy them (Though looking back, I suspect the animators themselves were on something!) When I was growing up, other kids ridiculed me for watching Sesame Street, saying it was a show for babies. But I couldn't stop watching it, because even as a child, I was aware of its sophisticated wit (A lot of the show's humor went over my head half the time), and knew that stuff like that wouldn't show on TV forever (This is why we must be thankful for YouTube).

Besides learning about letters, numbers, and more, I felt mature watching it (The characters never talked down to their young viewers), became progressively creative as I studied the aesthetic aspect of everything from its musical composition (Thanks to Joe, Jeff, and Sam) to its set design, and was even dosed with healthy amounts of comedic sociopathy (Thanks to Jim and co.). What can I say? Sesame Street is pretty much what inspired Renga Studio to be what it is today! I hope to someday animate segments for the show before it completely becomes The Elmo Show. Then again, it might already be too late… -_-

therealtj
Man, if you don't remember how great that show was, you must have had a pretty bad childhood. Elmo was always my least favorite muppet though. Probably because when I was playing with a tickle-me toss-me Elmo doll, the little bastard landed on my head and gave me a bad knot.

Why do those damn toy companies keep making dangerous Elmo merchandise?! :mad:

Personally, I find Elmo entertaining when he's not on Sesame Street (Like when he's being interviewed on a late night talk show). Still, I think it's pathetic that none of the new characters on the show have chips on their shoulders like the old ones did. I mean, if Caroll retires, that trash can may well be shut forever.
Chernobog at 8:48PM, Nov. 10, 2009
(offline)
Ozoneocean
Classic old style Sesame Street was a beautiful thing. For years we got the really old episodes here, and they always had those really old cartoon shorts and other awesome old 70's live action shorts in between the newer bits

Agreed completely.
And let's not forget Mr. Hooper. My gawd, I never forgot that last episode.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Hawk at 10:36PM, Nov. 10, 2009
(online)
I was a Sesame Street nut when I was little. My first word was “Oscar”. The show created in me a fascination with words and letters, so much that I was reading and writing at the age of three. To this day I can still recite the alphabet backwards. It was strange going to school and finding that most other kids couldn't write their names yet, let alone read a book.

I also think Sesame Street gave me a better view of minorities. I remember seeing a lot of different races interact on the show, and I never questioned it. I didn't think about race and racism until I grew older and noticed people making a big deal out of it.

I had grown out of Sesame Street before Elmo appeared, but looking back on him and his effect on the show, I can't help but feel like the show's altruistic desire to teach children is being eclipsed by its potential to be wildly profitable. They keep adding characters they think will sell, and I can't even tell what's going on with the show anymore. It's starting to look like a long toy commercial.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Product Placement at 5:30AM, Nov. 11, 2009
(online)
Ozoneocean
Classic old style Sesame Street was a beautiful thing. For years we got the really old episodes here, and they always had those really old cartoon shorts and other awesome old 70's live action shorts in between the newer bits
I remember them rerunning those old episodes when I was a kid. By the time I saw them though I was already reading and writing so I never saw the fun of watching a 2 minute presentation of the letter A. I was mostly watching them for the Cookie monster and Bert and Ernie. Oh Ernie. When will you stop leaving crumbs in Bert's bed?

I also remember a sketch with them where Bert labeled his cookie cupboard with the letter ‘B’ and told Ernie that it meant that everything inside it was his. Ernie argued then that everything that was labeled with ‘E’ should therefore be his, which Bert agreed upon. The letter was situated in the middle of the cupboard and it was wide enough to have two doors so Ernie opened the right door, turning the letter into ‘E’. That sketch always cracked me up.

I never heard of Elmo until that silly tickle me dolls started to pop up.

Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
lothar at 8:13AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
it always freeked me out how nobody else could see bigbirds mamoth friend and then when his giant dog ran away and mister hooper died .
the there was oscar and his little friend who was a worm , i thoutght it would be so cool to be a worm and live in the trashcan that obviously was some kind of portal to all the other cans in the neighborhood
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
lba at 10:07AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
I remember that show fascinated me as a kid, but it didn't take long for it to start irritating me. I was never one to like a lot of repetition of the same exact thing like Sesame Street had. After probably about the age of 5, when my brother started to watch it, the show just started sounding fake and hollow, like I consciously aware that this was nothing like reality should be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Renga Studio at 8:30PM, Nov. 18, 2009
(offline)
Chernobog
And let's not forget Mr. Hooper. My gawd, I never forgot that last episode.

Oh, yes; that scene in episode 1839 is by far the most heartfelt and touching moment on Sesame Street ever (I felt like I lost a family member when I watched it). :cry: As long as Mr. Hooper's picture hangs in Big Bird's nest, Will Lee and his character will always be remembered on that show.

Hawk
I was a Sesame Street nut when I was little. My first word was “Oscar”. The show created in me a fascination with words and letters, so much that I was reading and writing at the age of three. To this day I can still recite the alphabet backwards. It was strange going to school and finding that most other kids couldn't write their names yet, let alone read a book.

It's no surprise that you had an edge in school, Hawk, but remember that you didn't just watch Sesame Street, you chose to understand what it was trying to teach you, and with that, you simply took it from there! :) For example, Schoolhouse Rock!–another one of my favorite forms of edutainment–teaches through song that instead of having to remember multiplication tables (though it may help), you can multiply simply by counting by a certain number.

Hawk
I also think Sesame Street gave me a better view of minorities. I remember seeing a lot of different races interact on the show, and I never questioned it. I didn't think about race and racism until I grew older and noticed people making a big deal out of it.

Come to think of it, the show definitely had a hand in improving race relations (to an extent) since the end of the tumultuous 1960s. Not only that, but it also gave the United States–especially New York City (of all places)–a good name, and probably attracted more immigrants than there already were to the country.

Hawk
I had grown out of Sesame Street before Elmo appeared, but looking back on him and his effect on the show, I can't help but feel like the show's altruistic desire to teach children is being eclipsed by its potential to be wildly profitable. They keep adding characters they think will sell, and I can't even tell what's going on with the show anymore. It's starting to look like a long toy commercial.

Throughout my childhood (and adolescence), the show was like cup of coffee to me; every morning when the show was on I would jump out of bed to see what was happening, and I wouldn't take my eyes off the screen unless a “commercial” that I thought was boring came on (then I would either go to the bathroom, get something to eat, or briefly channel surf). These days, however, most of the show for me is like the ultimate cure for insomnia, especially when Elmo's World came on. That would be my cue to change the channel or turn off the TV, otherwise I might doze off in the middle of the day. :sleepy:

Product Placement
I remember them rerunning those old episodes when I was a kid. By the time I saw them though I was already reading and writing so I never saw the fun of watching a 2 minute presentation of the letter A. I was mostly watching them for the Cookie monster and Bert and Ernie. Oh Ernie. When will you stop leaving crumbs in Bert's bed?

When Bert stops feeding those rats with wings on the roof; that's when!

Product Placement
I also remember a sketch with them where Bert labeled his cookie cupboard with the letter ‘B’ and told Ernie that it meant that everything inside it was his. Ernie argued then that everything that was labeled with ‘E’ should therefore be his, which Bert agreed upon. The letter was situated in the middle of the cupboard and it was wide enough to have two doors so Ernie opened the right door, turning the letter into ‘E’. That sketch always cracked me up.

That's a very obscure sketch, Product (Even I could barely remember it!), but if I ever saw it again, I bet it would be a riot!

Product Placement
I never heard of Elmo until that silly tickle me dolls started to pop up.

Tickle Me Elmo is fun when it laughs and shakes like it enjoys having a seizure, but when it stops working or its batteries die, then what? See, this is why I prefer older toys like the Sesame Street line of Fisher-Price Little People. Sure, they don't run on batteries like just about every toy does nowadays, but with the power of imagination, you can…uh…

lothar
it always freeked me out how nobody else could see bigbirds mamoth friend and then when his giant dog ran away and mister hooper died .
the there was oscar and his little friend who was a worm , i thoutght it would be so cool to be a worm and live in the trashcan that obviously was some kind of portal to all the other cans in the neighborhood

Ah, Oscar the Grouch, the only fictional character who could make living in a trash can seem glamorous.

lba
I remember that show fascinated me as a kid, but it didn't take long for it to start irritating me. I was never one to like a lot of repetition of the same exact thing like Sesame Street had. After probably about the age of 5, when my brother started to watch it, the show just started sounding fake and hollow, like I consciously aware that this was nothing like reality should be.

Fake and hollow, huh? Well, lba, if you've never watched Barney & Friends, then I guess that makes two (and by “two”, I mean “all”!) of us! 8D Anyway, I, for one, took advantage of Sesame Street's repetitive nature; for instance, if it reran an animated segment, I would watch it again carefully to study its animation, and if it reran a song or sketch, I would try to get whatever jokes or references that went over my head the first time. Though it's interesting that the way you described the show when you grew out of it is exactly the way I've been describing it since the Elmo era. What can I say? Like Cartoon Network (which is now showing Looney Tunes again! Yay!), I've been very forgiving of the direction the show's been going up till now.
Product Placement at 4:17AM, Nov. 19, 2009
(online)
Renga Studio
Product Placement
That's a very obscure sketch, Product (Even I could barely remember it!), but if I ever saw it again, I bet it would be a riot!
Yeah… I have an odd memory when it comes to stuff like that. I can remember ridiculously obscure stuff from books, shows and movies that I haven't seen in a decade or more. I wished I could implement this super memory on other stuff but it's seems to be limited to stories alone.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
ozoneocean at 11:56PM, Nov. 20, 2009
(online)
I was very sad when Mr Hooper died. I used to really like that old guy, he reminded me of one of my grandfathers. -Who's now dead too as it happens.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
SpANG at 5:42AM, Nov. 21, 2009
(online)
Remember this one?
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
3D Glasses at 9:49AM, Nov. 21, 2009
(online)
Neil Patrick Harris recently did a bit, and I do love that man. It was hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDaszN9ByxM
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
Jonko at 12:04PM, Nov. 24, 2009
(online)
I remember being a little scared of the aliens, but still loved the show.

The worm was adorable!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved