Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Struggle artist.
SilverMask at 6:54PM, Oct. 27, 2010
(offline)
When I was young, I always dreamed to become an artist. I attended and took art classes. However, some of them grew me bore by leature. In addition I struggle to draw clothes and women plus postion liking models. I still do now.
I develop and write the story for my new characters. One thing, I still frustrate, I DON'T have a Adode Photoshop and advaced laptop plus scanner. I desire to buy CINQ 12 liking Wacom( I hope the right spelling) We now is in twenty-one century, the webcomics grow more popluar about 1996 or least.
Sigh I am the struggled artist. Someday I have enough money, I able buy them. I still draw no matter my age. I am 39 years old. I notice most young adults alreadey proucess quickly, and I still chase to make up them.
I hope you give some of tips from your advice and offers.

SilverMask
I mean I don't have a Adode Photoshop and advance lapotop and plus scanner. um I may wrong spelling of Cinq12 liking Wacom. Sorry my spelling mistook.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
El Cid at 6:44AM, Oct. 28, 2010
(online)
What is CINQ 12?

You should definitely post some of your work here so that people can see it. Without seeing your work, it is very difficult to give advice.

I don't know what CINQ 12 is, but it sounds like some kind of art software? You don't need it, whatever it is. Photoshop and a scanner is more than enough to create great art. I've been doing digital art for a long time and one thing I hear all the time from people in forums at 3d sites is “If I only had the newest version of such-and-such program, my art would be soooo much better.” It's not true. Some of the best artists I know created their most impressive works with older software and many haven't upgraded in years. Better tools won't make you a better artist because your tools don't do the work for you.

And also, while I believe art classes are a good idea if you're struggling with your technique, classes are also not a prerequisite for being a great artist. You will find many very good artists here and elsewhere who never received any formal training. Art class is a good way to hone your skill, learn new techniques, and meet other artists, so I would recommend it, but if it is not an option then you just need to practice more and share your work with more artists who can critique it.

Oh, and what is CINQ 12?…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
skoolmunkee at 12:22PM, Oct. 28, 2010
(online)
I think he might mean one of the 12 inch Cintiqs?
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
kyupol at 3:03PM, Oct. 28, 2010
(online)
A few ways you can improve:

1) art classes – I prefer the smaller sized ones rather than the ones at community college simply because of teacher-student ratio. I attended a figure drawing class that was 5 days long and I'm telling you I learned in 5 days what it would normally take me 3 months in community college or longer when just drawing and figuring out things on my own.

2) how-to-draw books – I know these things get looked down upon by artists here who are of high caliber. Its because they only teach you to draw within a certain style (i.e. manga). Get something that teaches you REALISTIC drawing.

3) Raw hours of practice – practice practice practice practice practice. Drawing improvements will come naturally.

And dont be ashamed to post your art in here.

Here's an example of my skill level when I first started doing webcomics:
http://www.drunkduck.com/BK_CLASSICS/index.php?p=750624 –> the kind of stuff that most people are ASHAMED to even put online. lol
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
SilverMask at 12:04AM, Oct. 30, 2010
(offline)
I mean I don't have the graphic table and others.
I mean I don't have a Adode Photoshop and advance lapotop and plus scanner. um I may wrong spelling of Cinq12 liking Wacom. Sorry my spelling mistook.
SilverMask at 12:04AM, Oct. 30, 2010
(offline)
I mean I don't have the graphic table and others.
Doodstormer at 9:13AM, Nov. 9, 2010
(online)
You really shouldn't invest in a graphics tablet until you've done some comparing and figured out what will suit your needs. I hear that the Bamboos are good for beginners. A tablet won't make you better at art right from the start either, you almost have to learn how to draw again to get used to it. When I first got mine, I was baffled to learn how dang sensitive the things are, and made more wobbly-lined abominations than I've made stuff I like.

In fact, if you've been drawing and learning with traditional mediums (I assume that's the case?), a scanner and a cheap/free editing program (Say, Paint.NET or Gimp) will be a lot more useful to you. I would kill (or explode someone's head) for a scanner, with how many sketchpads I've filled up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
ShadowsMyst at 1:05PM, Nov. 9, 2010
(online)
You do NOT need a tablet or photoshop to make comics.

You can make comics with a pencil and photocopy paper.

If you learned to draw traditionally, a digital tablet may not help you because basically you have to re-learn to draw to use it. (I'm in the 30+ bracket myself who learned to draw traditionally) There's no point in investing in it, unless you know this is something you really want to do and you are willing to spend a year frustrating yourself on it.

You don't have to have an extremely high quality scanner to scan your artwork. You can use the scanner at the library, or buy a cheap one for 60$. And it will scan just fine for an online comic as long as your paper size is letter size, otherwise you'll have to scan your work in two parts.

There are lots of free software like pixia or the gimp to manipulate images, but all you really have to be able to do, if you focus on the art using pencil, pen and paper, you don't need to do much with these programs at all, and they work just as well as photoshop for the base purpose of sizing your images and formating them so you can upload them online.

It is never too late to chase your dreams. If you've always dreamed of being an artist, and doing comics, all you really have to do is pick up that pencil, find some printer paper and start drawing and writing. Don't procrastinate based on your equipment, work with what you have, and don't let any excuse stand in your way. Just because you are older doesn't mean you won't progress, I know there are some older creators out there who've really done excellent work simply because they could apply themselves and their experiences in life made them stubborn and persistant, and they succeeded! All you need to do is apply yourself, and work hard and don't compare yourself to other creators. Just focus on working towards your goal and you'll make it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
chriscomic at 6:51AM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
ShadowsMyst
It is never too late to chase your dreams. If you've always dreamed of being an artist, and doing comics, all you really have to do is pick up that pencil, find some printer paper and start drawing and writing. Don't procrastinate based on your equipment, work with what you have, and don't let any excuse stand in your way. Just because you are older doesn't mean you won't progress, I know there are some older creators out there who've really done excellent work simply because they could apply themselves and their experiences in life made them stubborn and persistant, and they succeeded! All you need to do is apply yourself, and work hard and don't compare yourself to other creators. Just focus on working towards your goal and you'll make it.

Truth!

Also, don't make getting readers your top priority. It's nice and all to see that people are reading and commenting, but when there's a lull in the feedback, it can tend to drag you down.

When I started my comic, I made it with the sole intention of doing it for ME. It was something *I* wanted to do, and I'm getting to an age where I don't crave all the attention in the world heh. My goals with it were to simply make something that I can look back on and be proud of what I've done (not to mention that it's a journal comic, so I can be able to look back and remember things that happened with a child on the way). :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved