Random Discussion

Student Arrested After Cutting Food With Knife
kyupol at 2:37PM, Dec. 19, 2007
(online)
http://www.local6.com/news/14857286/detail.html

Student Arrested After Cutting Food With Knife
10-Year-Old Charged With Possession Of Weapon On School Property

An elementary student in Marion County was arrested Thursday after school officials found her cutting food during lunch with a knife that she brought from home, police said.

The 10-year-old girl, a student at Sunrise Elementary School in Ocala, was charged possession of a weapon on school property, which is a felony.

According to authorities, school employees spotted the girl cutting her food while she was eating lunch and took the steak knife from her.

The girl told sheriff's deputies that she had brought the knife to school on more than one occasion in the past.

Students told officials that the girl did not threaten anyone with the knife.

The girl was arrested and transported to the Juvenile Assessment Center.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Custard Trout at 2:42PM, Dec. 19, 2007
(offline)
It was a bit fucking stupid to bring a steak knife to school. Stupid girl deserves this.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
kyupol at 2:45PM, Dec. 19, 2007
(online)

I used to bring this weapon with me in school for protection.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Custard Trout at 3:30PM, Dec. 19, 2007
(offline)
Huh. When I was a kid we just used bricks.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Croi Dhubh at 3:54PM, Dec. 19, 2007
(offline)
Custard Trout
It was a bit fucking stupid to bring a steak knife to school. Stupid girl deserves this.
Uh…no. She was cutting her food, not menacing someone with it nor presenting in any manner in which to cause alarm. This is the kind of shit that's wrong with the schools.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
ozoneocean at 4:00PM, Dec. 19, 2007
(online)
This is quite an OLD story if I'm not mistaken.

She was silly to take a knife to school but whoever applied the rules in this fashion deserves to lose their job. As anyone with any sort of power to apply rules and punishments knows FULL WELL: you apply them with INTELLIGENCE and discretion according to the situation.

Croi Dhubh is 100% correct.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Inkmonkey at 5:37PM, Dec. 19, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, who the Hell called the actual police on this? At best you should have the knife confiscated, at worst you would have to spend the afternoon with the councillor talking about your feelings. Whoever thought this was dangerous enough to waste the valuable time of local law enforcement should be fired.

Also, I find something inherently funny about the fact that Kyupol didn't just say “I used to bring a butterfly knife to school”, but actually gave us a freakin' diagram of one. I did learna new word today, though: Choil! It's like a word a day calendar-I'm going to have to find a way to sneak that into my ordinary speech sometime…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Fenn at 11:59AM, Dec. 20, 2007
(offline)
If it was a butter knife or a plastic knife I'd agree that she was unfairly treated. But it was a steak knife… you can kill someone with a steak knife rather easily. Bringing a deadly weapon to school is not a good idea, no matter what you are planning to do with it. Think of it this way: if she'd brought a gun to school, yet didn't shoot anyone, would you still think she shouldn't be punished?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Inkmonkey at 12:19PM, Dec. 20, 2007
(offline)
I don't think that she should have been left alone, but I just don't think they needed to involve the authorities. It's laughable to think that this is in any way worth the police department's time. I think that a teacher should have simply confiscated the knife, and told her to have her parents pick it up after school.

The simple fact that a steak knife can be used to kill someone doesn't make it on par with a gun. You could kill someone with a pair of scissors, a sharpened pencil, a baseball bat, a bag full of books, a rope, etc. The difference is that a gun can only be used to kill (or at least injure). These other items are intended for a specific purpose and are abused as weapons occasionally.

Now, if she'd had, say, a butterfly knife, or a switchblade or some other form of concealed weapon, then yeah, there's grounds to put her in serious trouble. This isn't a case of a malicious student sneaking in a weapon for ill purpose, but rather a case of a not-so-bright girl not realizing that it's a bad idea to bring large, sharp objects to school.
spiritmonkey at 8:12AM, Dec. 21, 2007
(offline)
A guy at my school got taken to the police station because he had a mini screwdriver
Timmy And the Bleach

There are many things in this world that are uncertain
I'd say I'm one of them
But I'm not sure
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
TnTComic at 8:55AM, Dec. 21, 2007
(offline)
Croi Dhubh
Custard Trout
Uh…no. She was cutting her food, not menacing someone with it nor presenting in any manner in which to cause alarm. This is the kind of shit that's wrong with the schools.

Doesn't matter why she brought it. She brought it.

They overreacted, but she should not have brought a knife to school.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
Fenn at 11:52AM, Dec. 21, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
Now, if she'd had, say, a butterfly knife, or a switchblade or some other form of concealed weapon, then yeah, there's grounds to put her in serious trouble.
I don't see why you make a distinction. The fact that a steak knife has a valid utilitarian purpose is irrelevant. Would it be any less painful to be stabbed with a steak knife compared to one of the knives you deem somehow more serious? It is still a deadly weapon brought onto school grounds, and it was just as much a concealed weapon as the others until she pulled it out to use it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Inkmonkey at 12:05PM, Dec. 21, 2007
(offline)
I make the distinction because it's something you can carry on accident. What distinguishes the knives I mentioned is that they are designed as weapons, and there is little or no context through which a child would view them as utilitarian objects. A steak knife is something that a child's mother will hand to them, so they can eat their steak. It's a utensil. Someone, especially a young person, can own one and not think of its potential use as a weapon

It's like the difference between a car and a racecar. They're both made of largely the same parts, and you could feasibly race in both of them, but only one of them was built specifically for that purpose. If you see someone driving a car, you don't assume that they have the intention to race someone. In that same vein, if you see someone eating a steak with a steak knife, you don't assume that he's going to murder someone with it any second now. On the other hand if you see someone driving down the street in a racecar, you'll assume something has gone wrong somewhere, and if you see someone eating steak with a switchblade, you'd assume there's something wrong with them.
Kohdok at 11:45PM, Dec. 21, 2007
(online)
Funny thing: They get all worked up over a steak knife when there are tons of other objects in a school that can be used to harm someone. Baseball bats, scissors, and even pencils all come to mind as potentially hazardous items.

These people who over-react to things like people cutting food with a knife are the same who over-react to anything they consider even marginally offensive on television (Which I feel has had negative effects on its quality, which is why I don't watch it anymore).

If you wanted to remove all dangerous objects from a school that you could kill or at least severely harm someone with, it would be totally empty. That's why I think this is a joke.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
lefarce at 1:27AM, Dec. 23, 2007
(online)
Why so serious, guys?

The debate starts and ends with: parents today are pussies, our nations youth in turn becomes mega-pussies.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:32PM
ozoneocean at 4:50AM, Dec. 23, 2007
(online)
Yeah, compass points were well known weapons for many years… I got stabbed through my finger with a pencil by a crazy gal in grade one, right through the fingernail. :(

Staplers could be nasty too, not deadly though. Ha, at my highschool we had archery, one of the kids brought in a crossbow…

Steak knives are… tame.

TnTComic at 8:21AM, Dec. 23, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
I make the distinction because it's something you can carry on accident. What distinguishes the knives I mentioned is that they are designed as weapons, and there is little or no context through which a child would view them as utilitarian objects. A steak knife is something that a child's mother will hand to them, so they can eat their steak. It's a utensil. Someone, especially a young person, can own one and not think of its potential use as a weapon

It's like the difference between a car and a racecar. They're both made of largely the same parts, and you could feasibly race in both of them, but only one of them was built specifically for that purpose. If you see someone driving a car, you don't assume that they have the intention to race someone. In that same vein, if you see someone eating a steak with a steak knife, you don't assume that he's going to murder someone with it any second now. On the other hand if you see someone driving down the street in a racecar, you'll assume something has gone wrong somewhere, and if you see someone eating steak with a switchblade, you'd assume there's something wrong with them.

Let me ask you something, Ink… why don't we allow kids to have knives at school?
korosu at 10:43AM, Dec. 23, 2007
(online)
Fenn
But it was a steak knife… you can kill someone with a steak knife rather easily.
You could kill someone with a pair of scissors rather easily. But, yeah, unless she had brought some leftover steak for lunch, she should've brought a plastic knife. Just in case.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Inkmonkey at 12:06PM, Dec. 23, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Let me ask you something, Ink… why don't we allow kids to have knives at school?

Because knives are dangerous.

Look, I don't want people to think that I"m saying it's okay for her to bring a great big knife into school as long as she's planning to eat something with it. I'm saying that there are degrees of punishment, and the degree this case was taken to was ridiculous.
ozoneocean at 4:28PM, Dec. 23, 2007
(online)
Inkmonkey
And the degree this case was taken to was ridiculous.
Exactly. The morons actually make the situations worse by mishandling them like that.

With what they've inflicted on the child, next time she might actually take a weapon to school with the intent of harming someone with it.

Treat people like criminals and that's exactly what they become.

TnTComic at 6:38PM, Dec. 23, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
TnTComic

Because knives are dangerous.

Look, I don't want people to think that I"m saying it's okay for her to bring a great big knife into school as long as she's planning to eat something with it. I'm saying that there are degrees of punishment, and the degree this case was taken to was ridiculous.

That's the way I see it. She broke the rules, but the punishment was far worse than it merited.
Puff_Of_Smoke at 7:31AM, Dec. 24, 2007
(offline)
I bring a butter knife to school to cut my kiwi :P

I guess that doesn't count…
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:55PM
ozoneocean at 9:43AM, Dec. 24, 2007
(online)
Puff_Of_Smoke

Sex criminal! You should be locked up! >:

lol!

mapaghimagsik at 11:48AM, Dec. 24, 2007
(offline)
People would get so upset that I'd bring a machete to cut me sandwich.

The school totally overreacted. It seems like getting a hold of the parents and saying, “Don't do it again” would have been fine.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
lefarce at 12:29PM, Dec. 24, 2007
(online)
I hate kids today, because all they bring are steak knifes to cut their food with. Oh no guys, not a steak knife.

We all know real men cut their meat with a butchers knife. My dad did it when he was a kid, and his dad before him. As will my child.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:32PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 1:00PM, Dec. 24, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Puff_Of_Smoke

Sex criminal! You should be locked up! >:

lol!

D: The fruit from New Zeala- wait come to think of it, do they really come from New Zealand?
I
ozoneocean at 7:34PM, Dec. 24, 2007
(online)
mapaghimagsik
People would get so upset that I'd bring a machete to cut me sandwich.
I have a machete.
An old one of my dad's…
I used it for gardening once, the damn thing cut like a lightsaber. Scares the crap outta me. That thing's a limb chopper, an amputator!

I don't even have it around the house for self defence. That thing stays hidden.
———————————–

Wiki says Kiwi's are hybrids that were developed in NZ from a fruit native to China ^^
———————————–
Wiki…Kiwi… oh jeeeez -_-

Puff_Of_Smoke at 7:51PM, Dec. 24, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Wiki…Kiwi… oh jeeeez -_-

Next thing we know, there'll be a conspirocy concerning an alien race that follows a very violent religeon known as ‘Skedar’, A man named Trent Easton who over-estimates his power over the president of USA, and an old lady named Cassandra De Vries. Next thing we know, Trent will be killed by a member of the skedar because he failed, and they believe failures should be destroyed, a woman named Johanna Dark is taken hostage by the skedar, but that only leads to her showing ANOTHER alien race known as the maians, the Skedar homeworld Thereoff leading to the end of the skedar race.

Either that or it's just a coincidence.
I
Croi Dhubh at 12:36PM, Dec. 27, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
I don't think that she should have been left alone, but I just don't think they needed to involve the authorities. It's laughable to think that this is in any way worth the police department's time. I think that a teacher should have simply confiscated the knife, and told her to have her parents pick it up after school.

The simple fact that a steak knife can be used to kill someone doesn't make it on par with a gun. You could kill someone with a pair of scissors, a sharpened pencil, a baseball bat, a bag full of books, a rope, etc. The difference is that a gun can only be used to kill (or at least injure). These other items are intended for a specific purpose and are abused as weapons occasionally.

Now, if she'd had, say, a butterfly knife, or a switchblade or some other form of concealed weapon, then yeah, there's grounds to put her in serious trouble. This isn't a case of a malicious student sneaking in a weapon for ill purpose, but rather a case of a not-so-bright girl not realizing that it's a bad idea to bring large, sharp objects to school.
I've scared animals with a gun, so it has other uses
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Exzachly at 5:39AM, Dec. 31, 2007
(online)
This story is the reason why I hate most parents. They only give a damn about what can possibly effect their own kids. They're perfectly fine ruining some ten year old's life over what was clearly a misunderstanding. “Electroshock that bitch, my child could have been steak knifed!!!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved