Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Style problems
FinleySharpe at 7:10PM, Feb. 25, 2009
(offline)
I've been trying to draw different pages of the comics I've been working on, but every single time I'm held up by the same set of problems. I think I've start multiple pages over around 3-5 different times because of it.

The two biggest problems are style and technique. One of the things I worry about most is how it looks, obviously. It is a graphical medium, so it matters a lot to me. This becomes a problem when I come close to finishing a page and don't like what I see at all.

I don't like the pages for a lot of reasons, but it's mainly because I've got it stuck in my head that it needs to be inked, it needs to be cleaner, it needs to be colored, etc. I've been working on inking and I've gotten decent at inking other people's drawings, but every time I ink one of my drawings it just looks boring and bad. And I can't color it without inking (not to mention that I'm absolutely horrible at coloring).

Here's what it looks like when I draw naturally:

It's very messy, and seems like it would be near impossible to color and difficult to ink. I guess my question is what you guys would think about a comic that looked like that. Do you think it would be worth it to keep practicing inking and coloring so I can make a clean, colorful comic? Or just keep going with what I have and hope it interests people?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
authorfly at 8:04PM, Feb. 25, 2009
(online)
I honestly see nothing wrong with your technique, however when it comes to artists different artists have different strengths and weaknesses. If there really is anything at all wrong with your technique, it would be easier to spot with multiple samples of your work.
While it is true that colored comics are more visually pleasing to readers, I think your comic could work as is as long as you successfully contrast your characters to their backgrounds. For example if the majority of your characters are going to be drawn like the sample you have given us they would look better against a dark background. Of course a good story behind the art will help people forget about your artistic flaws, anyways Good Luck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
ozoneocean at 8:49PM, Feb. 25, 2009
(online)
It's a good style, and Authorfly has some good advice.

One thing I will say though is that if you're doing digital art, “inking” is a totally unneeded step if you do things right. If you change your “brush” to something with varying size and no opacity changes your work will turn out inked looking anyway. I do that, it's useful.

I used to work the way that you do but I found it gave me too much unneeded work. I still work that way when I want certain interesting effects though :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Eddie Jensen at 1:57PM, Feb. 26, 2009
(online)
if you added 1 more a tad darker and a tidbit less sketchy line ontop it that defines things just a tincy bit more not as much inking as a bit of a darker pencil and it'd be perfectly fine.

and you usually do hate your own pages for about a day or 2 or at most till you work on a new page because then its the new page you hate and the old ones perfectly fine. Its an instinct thing.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
NickGuy at 11:00AM, Feb. 27, 2009
(online)
thats digital, right? just slap another layer over it and “ink” it with a dark line and make it cleaner, and bam!

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
kyupol at 2:32PM, Feb. 27, 2009
(online)
dont worry too much about it. REEELLLAAAAAAAAXXXXX!!!! :)

I had way worse looking comics back in the day.

http://drunkduck.com/BK_CLASSICS/index.php
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved