Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Suggestion for song baloons design
MeHighLow at 4:05PM, July 1, 2010
(online)
I was wandering if anyone had any good ideas about how to represent singing with comic balloons. Maybe a cool example of something that does not involve notes - we would like something different. This is RE: the latest page of Weave, where there is a character singing, and classic balloons, even with notes, just don't do it justice…

We were thinking maybe something along the lines (literally, the lines) of the balloons, like some ornament or arabesque, but would that come across as singing? Suggestions, DD?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Genejoke at 10:55PM, July 1, 2010
(online)
how about broken speech baloon where the text starts and use a font that looks like music notes… if there is one freely available.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Meechi at 6:17AM, July 2, 2010
(online)
The way I've seen songs done in a comic before is where the text is typed on a curvy path. This something really simple to do in Illustrator. I don't know how intuitive the Pen and Type tools are in Photoshop for such a thing. One thing to remember using this technique is to try to capture where the song has its high notes, long notes, etc. Make it “look” like a song without it being just a bunch of wavy text.

Here's an Example. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
Jabali at 11:05AM, July 2, 2010
(online)
Well… I'm more comfortable with the notes. I know its a “cliche” but I think it more because I'm a musician and I've always assume that if there's a music note in a speech balloon it most be a lyric to the song :whistling:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Hunchdebunch at 12:21PM, July 2, 2010
(online)
Perhaps you could do the speech bubbles normally, but have a music note attached to the top left corner of the first one, and the bottom right of the last one?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
MeHighLow at 3:17AM, July 4, 2010
(online)
Thanks, you guys.

Genejoke, I am not sure if that would work… I mean, I guess, if the font looks really cool, but I'm having a hard time imagining it.

I am partial to Meechi's suggestion, the result is unmistakably evocative of music… And moreover, I think it could work even without notes.

Sorry, Jabali, the main reason I would like to avoid notes is maybe kinda dumb, but here you go: there are no notes in this world, the music is not written down, so using them would kinda break the feel of the setting. For me, at least.

Hunchdebunch, that is an elegant and simple solution, if all else fails, it is bound to work! And maybe I could use some other muscal notation symbol, like Znammeny chart or indian notation!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Hunchdebunch at 3:49AM, July 4, 2010
(online)
No problem, I'm glad I could help :) The topic certainly got me thinking, since I've never actually had to show someone singing in one of my comics yet! lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved