Drunk Duck Awards

Suggestions for the rules...
PhatScurl at 6:53AM, June 23, 2006
(offline)
Here are some suggestions:

- Each comic can only be entered into TWO topics
- Judges are confined to the topics that their comic has not been entered into
- Comic must include at least 20 pages
- You may enter as many comics as you'd like into the race (but use your own judgement)

*Anybody caught having broken the rules will have their comic disqualified

Judging:

A group of 3-5 people will judge the topic they have volunteered for. They will unanimously decide what stays and what goes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
PlayerOne at 9:32AM, June 23, 2006
(offline)
yes… this will work… this will work well.

Who will the judges be? there isn't enough mods and admins to fill up all the categorys.

I made these three levels of nomination and winning:

Nomination One: You can nominate yourself or another comic. there is no limit to how many comics you may nominate, but only to a max of three categorys per comic. (If you think about how many categorys there will be with all the suggestions that will come in, three nominations will be sorta neccisary.)

Nomination Two: The comic has passed into the nominations that will be shown on the awards comic. The will get here by my personal review, the review of mods and admins, whoever else is a judge and voting by others.

Award: The comic is the best in that category. A comic may win up to as may awards as it was nominated for, however unlikely.
I'm glad I'm not an Oscar Meyer wiener. That would tottaly suck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
skoolmunkee at 9:47AM, June 23, 2006
(online)
Whoa whoa, what happens if someone has other ideas for how the rules ought to go? I didn't exactly envision letting whoever volunteered to be in charge be the person to make all the rules.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
SpANG at 9:53AM, June 23, 2006
(online)
Agreed. Thanks for the enthusiasm, but no one put you in charge yet. Modified.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
PhatScurl at 10:23AM, June 23, 2006
(offline)
PlayerOne
yes… this will work… this will work well.

Who will the judges be? there isn't enough mods and admins to fill up all the categorys.

I made these three levels of nomination and winning:

Nomination One: You can nominate yourself or another comic. there is no limit to how many comics you may nominate, but only to a max of three categorys per comic. (If you think about how many categorys there will be with all the suggestions that will come in, three nominations will be sorta neccisary.)

Nomination Two: The comic has passed into the nominations that will be shown on the awards comic. The will get here by my personal review, the review of mods and admins, whoever else is a judge and voting by others.

Award: The comic is the best in that category. A comic may win up to as may awards as it was nominated for, however unlikely.

The judges will be anybody from the forum, who would like to volunteer.

The problem with nominations it would be difficult for smaller lesser known comics to be noticed, short of nominating themselves, and then it would be no different than my own idea. It would be a whole lot easier for artists to nominate their comic and their comics only.

I apologize for taking control of the Awards before, just wanted to get things moving.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
skoolmunkee at 5:12PM, June 23, 2006
(online)
PhatScurl
I apologize for taking control of the Awards before, just wanted to get things moving.

I think the concern is that things end up moving too fast, and people don't get to have as much input as they'd want, or things don't end up as fair as they could be. :)

One of the reasons I thought an entire forum would be appropriate is because I reasoned that lots of people would have lots of different suggestions for how everything might be done, and we would need ‘space’ for the talking and agreeing, etc.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
skoolmunkee at 5:34PM, June 23, 2006
(online)
Kennedy0
Someone should sift through all the suggestions and make a final list for people to vote on or something.

I'm sure some of the suggestions can work together too.

Just so everyone is realistic here, the awards aren't going to come together over a weekend or probably even over a couple of weeks. Since the idea is the “Drunk Duck Awards”, we have to make sure it's something we want the DD name attached to. If there's nothing that people can agree on or if people are unhappy about parts of the process, the awards might not even happen. It would be different if it were something like “Evil Emperor Nick's Comic Awards” (which I'm pretty sure was the name of an earlier awards thing that a user wanted to do).

I may be sticking my nose in here too much but as an admin I want to make sure that the rules, nominations, etc turn out fair. But I don't exactly want to organize the thing myself. :) The idea of the forum was just to make a place where people could make all their suggestions and then the organizers can… get organizing those suggestions and ideas into sets of rules, etc. Setting up the rules is probably the least fun part of the awards, but without a good set of rules the admins and other users can get behind, I can guarantee the awards aren't going to happen.

All that said, why not say something like… anyone can nominate three comics for each category, and one of those comics can be their own? And then as a limiter, say they can only nominate their own comic up to 5 times. That way people can nominate other comics they think deserve recognition, and they can also nominate their own comic for a few things. If someone has more than one comic… they can only nominate each of their own comics 5 times?

I do agree we should have a set of judges for each category (and none that you've nominated yourself for) to narrow them down, rather than make it a popularity-contest kind of narrowing. Considering there are probably a few thousand comics on DD though, that might make a lot of reading for people.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
murphy at 1:41AM, June 24, 2006
(offline)
skoolmunkee
And then as a limiter, say they can only nominate their own comic up to 5 times.

Considering there are probably a few thousand comics on DD though, that might make a lot of reading for people.

That's the reason that it's standard not to allow people to nominate their own comics. Almost everyone will nominate their own comics for something, and it'll be a waste of time because the judges will essentially have to read 90% of the comics on DD.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter how good a movie is; if no one watches it, then it'll never get an Academy Award. Same should go for comics. If no one likes a comic enough to nominate it, it shouldn't be nominated.

PhatScurl
The problem with nominations it would be difficult for smaller lesser known comics to be noticed, short of nominating themselves, and then it would be no different than my own idea. It would be a whole lot easier for artists to nominate their comic and their comics only.

That's not a problem at all. All a comic needs is one nomination. If no one reading it likes it enough to nominate it above three other comics in a given category, then it shouldn't be nominated.

My Great Big Idea for Fairness in Voting

The way it should go is everyone can nominate 3 comics in each category.
Most likely, this will lead to massive overlaps, limiting the judges' jobs considerably. After that, the judges' job should be to sift through those comics and find those that truly deserve the award. This should cut cases like a Megaman sprite comic being nominated for best art because Tommy's friend nominated him.

Then, two things should happen. The list should be given to the judges for them to decide the top 3 comics in each category, and the list should be given to the forum where everyone can vote for their favorite.

Lastly, if the audience's favorite is in the judges' top three, the audience's choice should win the award. If it is not, then there should be two awards: audience's choice gets an “audience's choice” award and the judges' first pick gets a “judges' choice” award.

This is the fairest way to do it. The audience at large should have a say because comics are not popular just because of random chance; they're popular because they relate to lots of people, and those people like them.

But there should still be good judges because they'll ensure that a comic that is loved for its art doesn't win for best story. They'll make sure that only comics with great stories are even up for the award, and they'll have the chance of awarding a little known comic that doesn't get the popular vote.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
skoolmunkee at 9:54AM, June 24, 2006
(online)
Ideally there will be several judges in each category, so it isn't just deciding which 5 comics out of 200 see the list. Maybe each judge could pick their 5, bring it to the table with the other that-category's-judges, and they decide the 5… something like that.

Having only one judge per category would be asking for it. :)

We also have to make sure we word our awards carefully, or at least have agreement on what the wording means. “Best art” could include a sprite comic if the person has made their own sprites or backgrounds, etc. And if it's a photocomic or something, the photography could be considered art.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
murphy at 11:47AM, June 24, 2006
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Having only one judge per category would be asking for it. :)
judge's = one judge
judges' = more than one judge

I used the latter to indicate that there would be more than one judge.
skoolmunkee
We also have to make sure we word our awards carefully, or at least have agreement on what the wording means. “Best art” could include a sprite comic if the person has made their own sprites or backgrounds, etc.
That's why I said Megaman sprite comic. It's not custom sprites if they're Megaman sprites.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
skoolmunkee at 12:29PM, June 24, 2006
(online)
I wasn't arguing with you, I wasn't even responding directly to your post. :3 I was just putting a few things down that I'd been thinking about.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:58PM, July 22, 2006
(online)
How about people can nominate their own comic in two categories and one of their characters in another?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Frae at 3:43PM, July 24, 2006
(online)
I've been thinking about official rules. Some of these ideas are pulled from others and others are straight from me. I'm in no way trying to take charge with this. It is just my suggestion for the official rules. so here I go:

Judge count: 3 per category.

1. Each category gets there own topic and people can go and nominate there things. It would be hard to figure out if a person nominated themselves more than once unless you were willing to sit down and read through every topic. So I think entry should be unlimited.
2. Starting at the beginning of the month, you can nominate until your heart is content. After two weeks, those nomination topics will be closed. After that, a new topic is made for top 5 in each category. Any drunk duck person can place their top five for each of the categories from the nominees only. This process will also be open for two weeks.
3. Repeats will be placed in the judges top 5 category for them to vote. Any category not filled in with 5 comics will be filled by the judges' mutual decision.
4. The following month, the judges should decide who win out of the top 5s in each category. There should also be a crowd favorite for each topic and they should get some type of crowd favorite award on their page or some special mention in the DD-zine.
5. The awards should be at least 4 times a year since there are simply so many comics on drunkduck that it would be hard to see all of them for just one award ceremony a year.

I also think that someone should design the look of each award that would be given out for each category. Like a small icon/logo that says like “Best Action Comic 06” or something like that and a little picture of the drunkduck doing something relate to the award (example, the duck jumping and shooting) something like that. This may also work better with a commitee or something.

Thanks for taking the time to read my suggestions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
essarr at 10:03AM, Aug. 24, 2006
(offline)
I have a bit of a problem with best art.
There are many different artstyles out there.
Manga, realistic, cartoon and the awesome stickfigures (i love stickfigs hahaha) and many others.

So, maybe there should be a category for each? Because it wouldn't be fair right?

There are a million manga-loving artists there and at times without their knowing, they are quite biased to liking manga style better. The same goes for realism and everything else. So if there are like cartoon-loving readers in DD they'd most likely choose the best cartoon-looking art. That wouldn't be fair for those with other styles, right?

So technically– there wouldn't be a Best Art, but Best Manga art or Best Reaslim Art and etc.

I hope that helped… or something hahaha. =P
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
skoolmunkee at 3:02PM, Aug. 24, 2006
(online)
The only argument against that I could have is that it would be difficult to define art styles, and we'd be certain to miss some of them. There is such a range of artistic style even within ‘manga’ that a ‘manga’ category would be meaningless. :) If we try to sub-categorize everything the awards kind of lose their appeal :(
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
essarr at 4:52PM, Aug. 24, 2006
(offline)
Actually I realized that just before I read your reply. It's true what you said hahaha. And it would indeed be too much to have them sub-categorized anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
hat at 11:00PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(offline)
I would suggest an odd number of judges, seven should be good.

Two people with highly rated DD Comics (one manga artist, one non).
Two people who do not have a DD hosted comic.
A writer.
Two admins/moderators.

For the “Comic of the Year” or what have you; there could be several categories to be judged on (originality, art, writing, etc), add up the scores and you have the winner.

Just my idea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved