subcultured at 10:00AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
WTF
why is superboy smiling when spanked?
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
Sea_Cow at 11:15AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(offline)
Superboy, like Robin, is a tool. Everybody knows that.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
Custard Trout at 4:39PM, Aug. 5, 2008
(offline)
He's not smiling in the last one.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
Aurora Moon at 8:19PM, Aug. 5, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
He's not smiling in the last one.

I think it was because his pa broke his hand and couldn't keep on spanking him.

anyway, it's really kind of disturbing how much there seems to be an spanking trend in the golden age comics. just google “golden age comics” or even “silver age comics” along with “spanking”… and you'll see how many comics besides superboy had that spanking thing. even Batman joined in on the fun.

Were the comic artists and writers big on the spanking fetish for all of that to have appeared so often in comics? You decide. :P
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
HippieVan at 9:11PM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
Did anyone read “Beano” when they were kids? Just about every one of those stories had someone getting spanked with a slipper.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Custard Trout at 9:33PM, Aug. 5, 2008
(offline)
Holy shit, I haven't even seen a Beano in years. Do they still do those?

It was usually the Dennis stories that involved spanking. Although he's really the only character I remember.
HippieVan at 9:44PM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
I had a whole pile of my dad's old ones when I was younger, and when I was in a used book store a while back I saw they had a Beano annual from just a couple years ago.
I think Minnie the Minx had the most spankings, actually, along with Roger the Dodger.

http://www.beanotown.com/
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
ozoneocean at 12:54AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(online)
Aurora Moon
Were the comic artists and writers big on the spanking fetish for all of that to have appeared so often in comics? You decide. :P
I think they didn't put much of a sexual connotation on it back then. Spanking was more about a child's typical punishment that's funny and slightly humiliating.

The Spanker is in the role of Authority: the caring but stern the farther. The spanked is in the role of the penitent subordinate: the naughty, cheeky child.

And that's how most of the imagery is meant to be seen. ;)

————————————–

I've got a big book about Denis the Menace from years ago. It's very different from that blonde dick of a kid in the American version… Instead he's a very deliberately EVIL little bastard with black spiky hair and a red and black stripy shirt and black shorts and the thing he fears most in life is his dad's slipper.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Aurora Moon at 6:31AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(offline)
that's proably true. but even so, back then comics were actually meant for the kids. So I wonder why they put in so many spankings… that had to turn off plenty of kids who just wanted to enjoy hero stories without having to think about real-world consquences that they'd get in real life.

I can only imagine that it was some sort of bizzare attempt to get the kids to be well-behaved or something.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
ozoneocean at 7:14AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(online)
I think it was more like “hehehe, he got caught” :)
-You know, schadenfreude, joy in someone else's misfortune. And as you say; setting a good example, but in a more entertaining way. You can enjoy the fun of watching the bad deed as well as the miscreant getting their just deserts.

——–
Of course adults read comics too even then, and I'm sure there was a gentle sexual connotation to some of the scenes of grown women characters getting spanked. But you have to remember that back then people didn't consider those things freakish or bizarre because they're not thinking directly about sexual torture, just a situation that's a mild turn on.

I think we're a bit more obvious and direct in our thinking about those sorts of things now. When we make that sort of imagery there is no other meaning. In some ways that's sad because we've lost that subtly, but that's just how things go, things change. And on the bright side, it can be hilarious to look BACK at things like spanking in comics and reinterpret them in today's way of thinking and laugh about them being sexual. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Inkmonkey at 8:10AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
that's proably true. but even so, back then comics were actually meant for the kids. So I wonder why they put in so many spankings… that had to turn off plenty of kids who just wanted to enjoy hero stories without having to think about real-world consquences that they'd get in real life.

I can only imagine that it was some sort of bizzare attempt to get the kids to be well-behaved or something.

I think it's because so many of these stories were aimed at kids that spanking was a common form of punishment. It was something they were familiar with and could understand, and also that could be easily presented visibly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Custard Trout at 11:35AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(offline)
Hippie Van
I had a whole pile of my dad's old ones when I was younger, and when I was in a used book store a while back I saw they had a Beano annual from just a couple years ago.
I think Minnie the Minx had the most spankings, actually, along with Roger the Dodger.

http://www.beanotown.com/

Oh yeah, I Minnie was in the Dandy. There were millions old British comics trying to imitate the Beano with names like ‘Cor!’ and ‘Smashing’. It's easy to get them mixed up.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved