Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Superheroes
Bimbo_Zombie at 2:06PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
I'm thinking of writing a superhero comic.
Does anyone have any advice or tips for superheroes?

I know some of the obvious:
No retarded catchphases.
No costumes that make them look gay.

Is there anything else I shouldn't do?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
NickGuy at 2:08PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
dude, you need to be more specific.

do you want to do grim and gritty like frank miller's stuff?

do you want to do iconic, like spiderman-batman-superman etc?

do you want to do hip cheeky tongue in cheek superhero like invincible?

do you want to do old school style?

what are you aiming at?

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Bimbo_Zombie at 2:28PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
I'm not sure. I want to try everything and maybe make it a little dark.
NickGuy at 2:41PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
wow that clears it up perfectly lol.

well the first thing when you are going to make a superhero comic is dont worry so much about what not to do, as just do what you think works.

first off, you need to decide….start with origin story (which will be boring at first but will pay off later when you wont have to explain where your characters powers come from later on in the middle of an epic fight scene) examples: spiderman, batman

or jump right in to the story with your character fully powered *good for initial action scenes but will need explaining later on* examples:spawn, savage dragon

have a supporting cast! I cant stress this enough. especially with superhero stories, its easy to get lost in the fantasy aspect of it too much. have a good supporting cast to ground your characters at time.

now, when writing a superherotype comic, you obviously cant go the manga route and just write and write and write thousands of pages and take as much time as necessary to develop your story. so follow the K.I.S.S. rule: Keep It Simple, Stupid! if you are planning to follow the 22 page format with cliffhangers and such, keep in mind that you need to sort of wrap things up by the end of each issue (because no one wants to read an issue where nothing gets resolved) but leave it open for the next one.

you said you want to try a bit of everything…well, make sure you know some of the archetypes of the style you want to aim for. if you are going to imitate miller, remember he tends to wirte with lots of dramatic splash pages and short to one word captions *PAIN*

old school style…uses thought balloons often and sometimes redundant…this can be a good parody device, but can also be very dramatic
example:
panel 1: YOUR CHARACTER swings at YOUR VILLAIN, fist outstretched.
YOUR CHARACTER *thought*:IF I CAN JUST HIT HIM IN HIS WEAK SPOT AND SAVE THE WORLD…!!!

iconic style…you have to have a LOT of patience if you plan on building your characters up to larger than life status. that means you have to have alot of ideas and stories to tell, stories that will almost have mythic qualities to them. have your character save the world a couple times, and refer to that event often. i dont know much about how to write long term, but look at john byrne's MAN OF STEEL comics. he created a wealth of content in just 12 issues.

Hip style: youd be beter off reading bendis and kirkman if you want to aim for this style. lots of little panels with snappy dialogue and witty banter. occasionally throw in a “pulp fiction” type issue where nothing really happens but your characters just sit there and spout lines that sound cool when you read it in your head, but said out loud sound stupid :P

hope this helps!

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
Bimbo_Zombie at 3:16PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
Ok thanks.
I already have the two main characters in mind and a small idea for the main plotline and origin stories.
NickGuy at 6:54PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
id be willing to do a little side editing for you if you are interested

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved