Media Megaforum

Superman Returns
jalford at 2:15AM, May 18, 2006
(online)
Okay, so Kal-El comes back. BTW, it turns out that this movie is a psuedo-sequal to the original 70s-80s Superman movies. Don't know if that means that Lenny Luthor or Gus Gorman are still around in this version.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
jalford at 1:33PM, June 28, 2006
(online)
Still also wondering if this means that the Supergirl movie didn't happen either. Although in the Supergirl movie, it said that Superman was on a mission in space, so its possible that it took place during Kal-El's five year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to bodly go….
SpANG at 8:06AM, July 2, 2006
(online)
SPOILERS AHEAD:

Okay. Just saw it last night. Not a great movie. Better than III and IV (which they COMPLETELY ignore- good call), but certainly not better or equal to I or II. quite dissapointing. :?

First of all, the costume. Why so dark? Superman is supposed to be the purest of the pure superhero, but they darkened it to make him look more “edgy”. Superman doesn't need an edgy costume. The costume sucked.

Second, casting. Brandon Routh did his BEST to act EXACTLY like CR's character, and never added any depth of his own to the role. Perhaps it was Brian Singer's mistake, but Roith will now always be considered a Christopher Reeve clone. Kate Bosworth was a terrible Lois Lane.
Kevin Spacey played a good, campy, Lex Luther. If you like that sort of thing. Personally, I prefer LL as a more sinister, calculating villian. The ANTI-supes, if you will. Gene Hackman also played it campy, but he was slightly better at it.
Supporting characters like “Kitty”do NOT help matters. Frank Langella did a good Perry White.

There were just so many holes and just stupid stuff in the plot, it wasn't even funny.

Clark Kent returns after 5 years on EXACTLY the same day as Superman. No one suspects anything.

Lois Lane, with a KID?? And who didn't see the ‘twist’ with the son coming from a mile away?? :wink:

I understand why they took out “The American Way” from the old tagline, but why say it at all? Was it a statement they were trying to make? “Truth, Justice, and all that stuff” is horrible. Just keep it out entirely. :smt012

Lex Luther had, what, FIVE henchmen? So the “kryptonite island” would take care of Superman, but what about when military masses moved in? That's just dumb. More on the “kryptonite island” below.

Strength inconsistancies. First, he picks up a space shuttle, then saves a 727. But then it looks like he's strugglng to pick up a car, or the planet globe. Then he's able to pick up a rock the size of New York (the “kryptonite island”). Superman lands on a kryptonite-filled land mass, and gets the shit kicked out of him. Then he gets stabbed with a shard of kryptonite for good measure. After he ‘heals’ (but we later learn that he still had krytonite in his body) he is still able to pick up the entire kryptonite-laden landmass (which, at this point is about the size of New York City) and throw it in space. Ohhhkay, how did he do that?

It was waaaay too long. The whole “Superman in a coma” thing was not needed at all. :x

The effects were good, but really, we should all expect that by now. The midi-gun scene was the best scene in the whole movie. All in all, a big dissapointment. 2.5, maybe 3 out of 5 stars. :?

X-Men 3 was better. :P

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
kyupol at 8:58AM, July 2, 2006
(online)
Mostly agree with Spang…

Tho I would rate that whole movie 3 out of 5 because of the drama and comedy that was in it.

It woulda been better if there was a “super villain” involved. Not the puny human lex luthor. X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, Incredible Hulk, was better.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Hawk at 1:58PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
HULK even? Holy cow. Hulk had problems. I haven't seen Superman yet, which is bizarre because I like him so much. But worse that Hulk?!

For those who have seen it, does the tone of the movie feel like they're setting up a revival of the franchise? Do you feel like there will be some sequels?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
SpANG at 5:26PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
Hawk
For those who have seen it, does the tone of the movie feel like they're setting up a revival of the franchise?
Oh, yeah. You walk away knowing that a sequel will happen.

But you know the one thing I reaaaally hated? They had to make it all “teen angsty” for the “Smallville” audience. Love triangles, he's your baby, and all that. That's Dawson's creek. It's even Spider-Man, because Spider-man is still a kid. That's not Superman. :?

Terminal at 5:30PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
You know the one thing I reaaaally hated? They had to make it all “teen angsty” for the “Smallville” audience. Love triangles, he's your baby, and all that. That's Dawson's creek. It's even Spider-Man, because Spider-man is still a kid. That's not Superman. :?

:(

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
jalford at 7:41PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
At least this version of Superman though flies and wears a cape, which are the two initial things people think of when they think of Superman.
isukun at 8:57PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
but certainly not better or equal to I or II.

If it's worse than I and II, then it certainly isn't worth my time.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Chelano at 7:58AM, July 3, 2006
(offline)
They should of called the movie

Superman : The love story …..

blah

Plus it is funny how it takes place after the 3rd one yet they look younger…I dunno.

I was impressed by some cg scenes….that is about it.

Plus I saw it at an IMAX and I got to see some parts in 3d
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
Ronson at 8:44AM, July 3, 2006
(online)
Saw Superman III on PAX last night, and enjoyed it more than Superman Returns.

Not because it's well written. It isn't. Not because of the FX. They sucked. But because Superman is an optimistic hero who enjoys his life. In Superman Returns, you get the impression that he's brooding and dark all the time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
SpANG at 8:48AM, July 3, 2006
(online)
Ronson
…In Superman Returns, you get the impression that he's brooding and dark all the time.
And a bit of a peeping tom too, apparently. :shock:

Hawk at 10:13AM, July 3, 2006
(online)
Ronson
Saw Superman III on PAX last night, and enjoyed it more than Superman Returns.

Not because it's well written. It isn't. Not because of the FX. They sucked. But because Superman is an optimistic hero who enjoys his life. In Superman Returns, you get the impression that he's brooding and dark all the time.

And also because a lady becomes a robot monster, right?

Hmmm… When I was little I loved Superman 3. Probably because at that age I unconditionally loved Superman.
ccs1989 at 2:12PM, July 3, 2006
(online)
I have free tickets to it, from buying animated series of Jutice League and Superman, so I'm gonna see it. Not sure if I'll really enjoy it all that much though. These characters always worked better when they weren't “in the flesh.”
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
jalford at 7:33PM, July 3, 2006
(online)
Hawk
And also because a lady becomes a robot monster, right?
And that blonde chick with the big hooters!

Plus, Richard Pryor squeeling his head off while falling down the side of a skycraper wearing pink skies and a tablecloth is pure cinematic gold!

BTW, was it okay for Lois kid to kill that guy? I mean morally speaking. You've never seen Supes kill anyone, at least certainly not the white bread/God-fearing farmboy one from the movies.
SpANG at 10:14AM, July 4, 2006
(online)
BTW, was it okay for Lois kid to kill that guy? I mean morally speaking. You've never seen Supes kill anyone, at least certainly not the white bread/God-fearing farmboy one from the movies.

I'm glad you brought that up. I completely forgot to mention it. Why couldn't they just knock him out?
Plus, Superman now has a few “responsible kills” under his belt (when the rock tower came down and smooshed those henchmen). Totally against his code in the comics.

Another problem with the movie is that Superman IS SUPPOSED to be an overgrown boyscout. That's his character. Sure, he could kill bad guys, quite easily, in fact. But then he'd just be another bully, like Woverine. Or Lobo, for DC fans. In fact, he could be the biggest bad-ass in the universe. But that would also make him very BORING.

It's not what he wants to be. He's trying to SAVE the earth, the universe, from it's own evil. He has nearly limitless power, yet restrains himself from using it all because he knows what destruction it could cause.

Unfortunately, to appeal to more people, they abandoned the “boy scout” character trait. And it was an extremely bad idea.

Hawk at 10:59AM, July 5, 2006
(online)
You know, I just saw the movie and I was pretty satisfied. In fact, as I watched it, my childhood came rushing back to me in a way that made me realize I could never subjectively judge this movie because it involved my childhood hero. But for a Superman fan like me, this movie was quite enjoyable.

SPOILER PART:

The one part that felt a bit disappointing is that I wanted Lex to get what he deserved. I wanted him to be defeated by Superman. Getting stuck on an island just wasn't enough. But I take a little comfort in knowing that there'll probably be sequels for this to happen in.
SpANG at 12:45PM, July 5, 2006
(online)
I too am a huge Superman fan. But I'll tell ya, I've never seen a movie so evenly divided with favorable and unfavorable reviews at the same time. It's like people are seeing 2 different movies. It's rocking the comic book world I tells ya! :P

jalford at 4:07PM, July 5, 2006
(online)
Maybe they could do a Supervillain Survivor with Lex & Kitty. Maybe add some of the surviving villains from the Batman movies like labotomized Riddler, Poison Ivy, Mr.(Governator)Freeze, and Scarecrow(not dead yet!).
Hawk at 4:34PM, July 5, 2006
(online)
You know, that's not a bad idea. The survivor of the whole ordeal would get to be the villain in the next Superman movie. I just have a hunch that the winner would be that little cannibalistic dog.
SpANG at 12:27PM, July 7, 2006
(online)
Kennedy0
If you look closely, no one in the movie ever really got punched or hit by Superman.
Not really a new concept, since none of the other 4 did either. Except for the occasional Krypton villian, his “clone” or his evil self. :wink:

Hawk at 12:45PM, July 8, 2006
(online)
You know what? I hope we get a movie version of the Death of Superman… That's still one of the best superhero comics I've read. Naturally, they could follow up with his return if they wanted.
ccs1989 at 5:06PM, July 8, 2006
(online)
Would that really work in film?
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
jalford at 1:55AM, July 9, 2006
(online)
When's Power Girl getting her own movie?
Suit-up, Anna Nicole!
SpANG at 10:03AM, July 9, 2006
(online)
Kennedy0
Actually, I can think of cases in all four movies that had violence. Including Supergirl.
You were specific about Superman HITTING someone, which I was referencing. In case you forgot, there was violence in this movie as well. A child killed a man with a piano, and about 4 henchmen were squashed by a rock, that being The result of Superman's actions.

jalford at 1:19PM, July 9, 2006
(online)
Course, Superman was trying to move the island out into space to stop it from causing further damage to the Earth. So having 1 or 2 bad guys get squished as opposed to everyone in Metropolis dying in massive floods and earthquakes seemed the lesser of two evils. Besides, Luthor's gang did have the option of escaping, although Superman technically shouldn't have had the strength to lift an entire island like that especially after all the Kryptonite he had already taken in after nearly getting stabbed to death.
SpANG at 7:19AM, Aug. 4, 2006
(online)
Anyone else have a problem with Superman thoughtlessly throwing things into space?

1st movie: Nuclear Missle
2nd Movie: Elevator with Hydrogen Bomb
This movie: An expanding land mass that could hypothetically change the tides if it got too big.

:P

Inkmonkey at 9:28AM, Aug. 4, 2006
(online)
The problem with this movie is that Singer wanted to get too much into it. I believe that he wanted to leave his mark on the mythos, in case anyone else came along, and because of that he put in a lot of information and scenes “just in case”. I really enjoyed Spacey as Luthor, even though I'm more used to the more modern interpretation of Lex where he's less campy. Though I really, really wish they had left out his annoying girlfriend. She didn't add anything to the plot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
BigFishComic at 9:46PM, Aug. 20, 2006
(offline)
SpANG!
gfjhf… Not a great movie.

….

X-Men 3 was better. :P

it's a great movie if you watch it iMAX 3D'd out. Man 3D movies have improved so friggin much since I was young. IT WAS LIKE I WAS REALLY THERE.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
jalford at 1:52AM, Aug. 21, 2006
(online)
I liked it in the old 3-D movies when John Candy and Eugene Levy would poke things at the camera back-and-forth….back-and-forth…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved