Media Megaforum

Supersize vs. Superskinny!
Nicotine at 9:16AM, May 5, 2011
(online)
So. I watch a lot of English TV when I have time, and Supersize vs. Superskinny has become my latest craze!

The basic premise of the show is that two people (one extremely overweight, one really underweight) are selected to come to Dr. Christian Jessen's “Feeding Clinic” in order to sort out their odd relationships with food. They're measured up, weighed, given a health check, and shown what they eat in a typical week. They then switch diets with each other to see another person eat the ridiculous things/portions they eat, and sometimes in the ridiculous manner they eat it. The show also contains a mini-show of sorts where people with eating disorders are assisted with their problems throughout the season.

Here's the wiki for it.

I don't know; I realize how this show can be seen as entertainment, but it really does show how warped people's relationships with food have gotten, especially with all this “obesity epidemic” talk going around. I think it's really interesting to see the changes the people make, too, although I don't know if it'll change some viewer's perceptions of food. It's just really shocking to see people over 6 ft be around 8 stone @_@. I'm 5'6.5 and around 9 stone 8 xDD

Here's the season for episode one on Youtube. People have posted pretty much all 4 seasons in parts and if you're not in the UK like me you can watch them there:

What do you guys think of this??
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
Faliat at 2:13PM, May 5, 2011
(online)
I don't really like this show for three reasons.

1. It gets away with showing boobs before 9pm because nobody can make up their mind whether it's entertainment or educational. Entertainment shows get these things censored while educational shows don't. I'm fine with educational shows showing these things as long as it's post watershed but this isn't either.

2. It runs with the stereotypes that people are fat because they eat fatty food or eat a lot of food and that thin people don't eat much at all or are really picky and healthy eaters.

I'm obese and I usually only have one meal a day. I friggin love vegatables. Broccoli, potatoes, carrots and peas especially. Watermelon is on of my most favourite treats.
Sure, sometimes my mum is too tired to cook and we get fish and chips or the occasional cake.
When I first met my sister's boyfriend he was classed as underweight. Now he's normal weight. And he had a scare a few months back regarding his heart. He has a huge calorie intake compared to mine. In fact the house has more biscuits and cake flowing through it than it ever used to have.
If I swapped diets with him, he'd be a skeleton and I'd be classed as a micronation, “The Kingdom of Blubberbutt”, with it's own council regions of “Doublechinea” and “Leg Fold Canyons”.

3. It depicts a TERRIBLE way of changing your eating habits as a solution. Gradual changes rather than immediate ones. THere's a lot of people systems that have been screwed up by sudden diet changes. And there's a reason why both wieght classes are on the show. Because their diets aren't working for them! Forcing a girl that lives off a thin slice of celery a day to eat a whole deep fried shank of lamb is entertaining but what sort of damage could it do to her already weakened heart?

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ozoneocean at 1:40AM, May 6, 2011
(online)
Can't StAND that gym junky doctor! I'd much rather see hugely fat or supper skinny people all day than tools like that guy.
Faliat
If I swapped diets with him, he'd be a skeleton and I'd be classed as a micronation, “The Kingdom of Blubberbutt”, with it's own council regions of “Doublechinea” and “Leg Fold Canyons”.
That's freakin' hilarious! :)

Personally, I like my food, but I naturally don't have much appetite and my stomach is physically too small (or something) to fill up too much. Like for example, I'll order a large family pizza and I'll gobble it non-stop, loving every bit, but pretty soon my stomach will start to hurt… but I'll keep eating anyway.
Then my stomach will start killing me, feeling over stretched and I'll begin to feel really sick and have to stop.
Happens with big meals too. So I physically can not eat really big meals. But I always get bad headaches and a lot of weakness if I skip meals, even by just an hour sometimes, so I can't fast either.

You're right, it's not just about eating badly; people's bodies are actually different.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Nicotine at 2:55AM, May 6, 2011
(online)
You guys raise a lot of good points:
Fallat
2. It runs with the stereotypes that people are fat because they eat fatty food or eat a lot of food and that thin people don't eat much at all or are really picky and healthy eaters…

Well, that pretty much is the reality for the supersize/skinnys that come on the show, but I see how it can promote that untrue stereotype. I have a skinny friend (around 9 1/2 stone, 6'4“ ) and he eats nonstop but never gains weight, and a superskinny friend (around 6 stone 8, 5'2” @_@) and she eats absolutely nothing but chips (crisps), mac and cheese, and fast food. And as for me, I feel like I gain a pound if I smell food, I have a horrible metabolism; I was pushing 12 stone when I was around 13, and the doctor told my mom I had to lose weight, and since I did it's been a constant struggle, and I wasn't even allowed to eat fast food or fatty snacks as a child! (I think my problem was portions)

As for the switch of the diets, I figure that they know that switching the diets is a bad thing, but they do it for the shock factor, so show the supersize can see how their food can make someone else feel, and the superskinny how stupid it is to drink coffee for dinner. I know not all people that are those sizes eat megameals/nothing, but the ones who come on the show are like that. Plus they only do it for a week then they're given a healthy diet plan to keep up.

But I suppose they can just stick to those food tubes for the shock factor along with showing the pictures of illnesses they could get and the videos. Those food tube really put me off every time =_=

And one thing that worries me are that perhaps maybe some of the superskinny people are anorexics/have a sort of ED, and putting them through the exercise instead of getting them proper help may do a lot of damage.

ozoneocean
Can't StAND that gym junky doctor! I'd much rather see hugely fat or supper skinny people all day than tools like that guy.

Haha! xD

Personally, I like my food, but I naturally don't have much appetite and my stomach is physically too small (or something) to fill up too much. Like for example, I'll order a large family pizza and I'll gobble it non-stop, loving every bit, but pretty soon my stomach will start to hurt… but I'll keep eating anyway.
Then my stomach will start killing me, feeling over stretched and I'll begin to feel really sick and have to stop.
Happens with big meals too. So I physically can not eat really big meals. But I always get bad headaches and a lot of weakness if I skip meals, even by just an hour sometimes, so I can't fast either.

You're right, it's not just about eating badly; people's bodies are actually different.

Good point, too! Like I said, some people are just naturally the way they are :/ I'm no doctor, but maybe you could eat several times a day instead of attempting to tackle big meals? That way you don't feel explosively full or get hunger headaches.

Genejoke at 5:19AM, May 6, 2011
(online)
Never watched the program but from a fat guy I can safely say the assumption that fat people are all gluttons is horseshit.

I've always been big, broad shoulders stocky etc. I've also always been prone to putting on weight. Sure I like some unhealthy stuff, who doesn't but my diet tends to be pretty balanced. Or was but I'll come back to that.

As a kid and teenager I was very fit and active but also overweight, well late teens early twenties I wasn't but I hardly ate and worked out a lot. I used to cycle a minimum of 20 miles a day every day, do weights and had very physical jobs. Even with that I looked a little chubby.

These days I overweight, well morbidly obese might be more accurate, even though I have lost a lot of weight recently. ME/chronic fatigue has pretty much destroyed my health as I found I wasn't able to keep up with the exercise. Ten years of that and I am officially a fat bastard.

That said I have turned a corner and I'm losing weight and managing to exercise more.

I was called the incredible shrinking man earlier, made my day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Nicotine at 7:39PM, May 7, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
That said I have turned a corner and I'm losing weight and managing to exercise more.

I was called the incredible shrinking man earlier, made my day.

Well, that's never a bad thing :D

I suppose the show isn't really helping to dispel the most common, obvious stereotypes, but I do like minor parts where they talk about things like really thin people still having the capacity to have high cholesterol.

One thing that scared me though is the kids version of the show; I don't think kids should be paraded on TV in this type of way @_@
Genejoke at 10:57PM, May 7, 2011
(online)
Heh, yeah I break convention by not having high cholesterol or high blood pressure. Something that has continually shocked my GP.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Faliat at 8:42PM, May 8, 2011
(online)
I never used to be fat as a younger child. I was fed a healthy diet and everything and I STILL became inexplicably anaemic relating to more than one deficiency. It took ten years for it to be figured out and it's done irriversible damage to my sense of touch in my hands and physical growth due to it hitting me shortly prior to puberty.

Nobody believed me when I said there was something wrong. They all thought it was just being lazy. Even when I couldn't stand a few times, threw up from mild activity and had blackouts.

It took auditory hallucinations and a mental health check for my parents to take it seriously. And even the “professionals” only tested my blood because of my persistant worries about my health. Even when the results came back they didn't know what the hell it meant. THey were psyche folks, not doctors. But dammit. It should've been obvious that there was a medical basis. I was paler and yellower than a banana milkshake by that point and my hair was coming out in clumps…

Which I was obsessively collecting along with nail bitings and flakes of skin from healing scabs in case I could distract the aliens living in my bedroom cuboard and delay them eating the rest of me.

I'm serious. Anaemia can do that to you. It can also put you in a wheelchair and kill you but I didn't get that bad. The worst it got physically was when I couldn't stand or sit up for long without nearly passing out and when my lungs seized up a few times and I struggled to breathe.
I sometimes lapse back into hallucinations for no reason. Last year I was screaming for two nights in a row because flies had gotten into my room and I “heard” them plot to lay eggs in my eyes and have their maggots eat them from the inside out.
I've also gained tourettes-like tics that come and go. They gave me really nasty headaches as well. Every time they happen it's like I'm being smacked around the head by a sledgehamer. There's been theories that these may be seizures but so far a doctor hasn't suggested i get a scan to make sure there's no neurological basis.

As for my weight, it's only getting worse right now. I haven't weighed myself but size 20 jeans are getting too tight on me and a lot of my older pairs have the seams split on them.

The stereotype is incredibly insulting to me due to the fact that it most likely delayed the treatment that could've saved my fingers. Now they're mostly numb and I can't even tell when I get papercuts or splinters unless I see them.

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Nicotine at 9:49PM, May 8, 2011
(online)
Faliat
I never used to be fat as a younger child. I was fed a healthy diet and everything and I STILL became inexplicably anaemic relating to more than one deficiency. It took ten years for it to be figured out and it's done irriversible damage to my sense of touch in my hands and physical growth due to it hitting me shortly prior to puberty.

I have really severe anemia as well with the blackouts and constants tiredness, but I suppose nothing as bad as yours. I don't take the prescribed iron though because it has terrible side effects and, and really bad situations, can make you infertile. =_=

Faliat
As for my weight, it's only getting worse right now. I haven't weighed myself but size 20 jeans are getting too tight on me and a lot of my older pairs have the seams split on them.

The stereotype is incredibly insulting to me due to the fact that it most likely delayed the treatment that could've saved my fingers. Now they're mostly numb and I can't even tell when I get papercuts or splinters unless I see them.

Like I said, I'm no doctor and I know the stereotypes are inaccurate, so I'm sorry if posting about this show has offended you. I just though it was an interesting concept and a way of addressing such a touchy issue that I'd never seen before. Entertaining, yes, true to life, absolutely not. I certain hope you're still seeking medical help because your condition seems pretty scary, I'm sorry D:
Faliat at 6:11PM, May 9, 2011
(online)
Oh, no. You posting it hasn't offended me. Lol.

My mum and sister love watching it. It's just that the stereotype can't help but piss me off.

And irons can make you infertile? D:>

Why wasn't I told that?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved