Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Suppose a huge flying battleship was coming to destroy your city...
ERasER at 6:13AM, Oct. 22, 2009
(online)
worldwillshout
ERasER
Man, we should totally eat cheese-its and watch Independence day….in the mountains.

You should use that line on women!

Who says I don't ^^
BackSeat Gamers
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 8:30AM, Oct. 22, 2009
(online)
harkovast
I would organise people to construct numerous fake monuments outside the city.
Aliens can never resist blowing up land marks, so we could keep them occupied till the microphobes in earths atmosphere killed them/ will smith and Jeff Goldblume uploada vrisu to their mother ship/ the Stargate SG-1 team go through the gate onto the ship and destroy it/ flash gordon arrives/ someone plays Slim Whitman's song, “Indian Love Call”, on the radio and the aliens brains explode.

Aliens have a lot of weaknesses, so it is just a matter of keeping them occupied till someone finds how to get rid of them.
You forgot the Doctor.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:18PM
ParkerFarker at 11:17PM, Oct. 22, 2009
(online)
harkovast
the Stargate SG-1 team go through the gate onto the ship and destroy it
Stargate SG-1 is the greatest. They'd just gate onto the ship, use some stealth (the Goa'ould are so nousy it'd be easy to avoid them) and take out the ship's engines. Mission complete, job well done.

But in reality, to the hills.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
ERasER at 1:27AM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
Stargate SG-1 is the greatest.
Agreed, Stargate SG-1 is the greatest
BackSeat Gamers
FlyingMonkey at 3:53AM, Oct. 23, 2009
(offline)
I remember when Starkiller pulled a bigger ship out of the sky…oh right…no Force…

Anyhow I'd just toss toilet paper on it from the tallest building…so ya.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
Lonnehart at 9:00PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
FlyingMonkey
I remember when Starkiller pulled a bigger ship out of the sky…oh right…no Force…

You don't really need “The Force” to take down a flying battleship like the one in the video. Despite what Ozone says, flying battleships do have weaknesses that can be exploited. This is why you almost always see them surrounded by squadrons of fighters. While shielding could protect it, the engines are one weak point. You could fly in and shoot a very heavily shielded missile into it. Assuming the enginewash didn't cause it to detonate prematurely, you'd have one slow battleship if your hit was successful.

oh, wait… I was thinking about the wrong “Force”… :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
XanderXeroFiasco at 11:49PM, Nov. 2, 2009
(online)
go to each and every hot girl i know and try to bang em
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
benjin at 5:33AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
If there were battleships everywhere, destroying every city, I'll get a girl and f*ck until we are blown.

If there is only one ship, destroying just my city (as an exemple of domination) I'll get a girl, pack her into my little car, drive away and then celebrate our survival with a good f*ck.

Unfortanetly it's only fiction :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Ozoneocean at 6:00AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
Lonnehart
Despite what Ozone says, flying battleships do have weaknesses that can be exploited. This is why you almost always see them surrounded by squadrons of fighters.
You see that because of WW2 when real ocean going battleships were at the mercy of mere dive-bombers because as ships they were limited to the ocean and inferior to those teeny fast moving targets that had the whole sky to play in. TV shows and manga incorrectly take that as a model for Sci-fi.

In space it's different. Manned fighters are an idiot idea since the humans inside would be far too vulnerable and not able to to handle the stresses of fast manoeuvres for long periods of time.

A big battleship has the advantage since the range and speed of the weapons and sensors that could be mounted on a large vessel with a huge power plant would far exceed the capabilities of any small craft. -Basically the sensors you could put on the big vessel would be able to spot that fighter long before it could spot the big vessel -days, weeks, or years. And the weapons you could mount on it like particle accelerator guns and huge high power lasers would be impossible to dodge or escape by anything. Smaller craft would never see what destroyed them.

The only way to kill it would be other similar craft, sabotage, or a trap of some sort…

———————-
The sex option could possibly work though… Crafty.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
harkovast at 6:47AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
Alien computers dont have virus protection and aliens are very stupid about letting crafts that aren't piloted by their own people land on their ships without asking question.
I'd get Will Smith and my main man Jeff Goldblum to kick ET's ass!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
Ozoneocean at 6:58AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
harkovast
kick ET's ass!
Why does everyone always want to beat up the poor donkey? Poor creature's never get a break, always some idiot wanting to boot it up the backside.

It must have a very sore arse… :(
sakebento at 11:04AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(offline)
Hannah Montana concert.

Seriously. I hear that female pop singers do wonders for repelling aliens in Japan (see: Macross).
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
bravo1102 at 10:51PM, Nov. 18, 2009
(offline)
Well if I was in Japan: Wave Motion Gun!

With NYC nearby I'm safe. They'll blow that up and I'll wait for the Jersey Devils F-16s to show up. Oh and there's BB-62 USS New Jersey battleship docked in Camden. Space battleship? Didn't you know that the restored Iowas were space battleships too?

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Lonnehart at 11:53PM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
harkovast
Alien computers dont have virus protection and aliens are very stupid about letting crafts that aren't piloted by their own people land on their ships without asking question.

Then again most aliens think of humanity as being too inferior to figure out how their equipment worked, so a virus suddenly infiltrating their computer system would be a total surprise and they'd let the fighter in because they'd assume that humans are too stupid to figure out how to control it.

I don't remember my history on this too well, but there are many times when a technically “superior” invader would invade another country, thinking that the country is too primitive to fight them back and they end up not only being surprised, but driven back as well.
Product Placement at 3:53AM, Nov. 19, 2009
(online)
Lonnehart
I don't remember my history on this too well, but there are many times when a technically “superior” invader would invade another country, thinking that the country is too primitive to fight them back and they end up not only being surprised, but driven back as well.
I bet Hernando Cortes might disagree with that statement.

And try telling that to 18/19th century Europe. They practically conquered the entire globe at one point. There was a reason why England was once called “The empire on which the sun never sets”.

Case and point. Territories that belonged to European countries in 1800…

… and 1900.

The latter map includes ALL countries that practiced imperial expansionism so there are few none-European nations in that one. It's easy to see though that the biggest participants were the European ones.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
bravo1102 at 6:47AM, Nov. 19, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
Lonnehart
I bet Hernando Cortes might disagree with that statement.

Hernando Cortes was nearly defeated several times. If he had not burned his ships after receiving reinforcments at percisely the right time…
Pizarro only won over the Incas because he walked right into a civil war.
Abyssina and the Italians
Afganistan and the British
It took three (maybe four if you count the Punjab) generations of generals to conquer India for the British.
It took two decades for the French to pacify Algeria and that was after an American fleet destroyed the Barbary Pirates in 1816.
The Zulus.
China Gordon
The Mahdi
Russia and the Ottomans
Maori
Philippines
Jamestown succeeded after several other French and British and Spanish attempts failed.
It was only looked easy once it was done and it took the revolver and breech loading rifle to make it seem easy.
The Plains Indians could not be fought by Europeans until after the invention of the revolver. Before that it was always make friends and trade.
Product Placement at 8:34AM, Nov. 19, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
Conquering these places took a long time…
Well… the two maps that I provided, did span a century in between. I wasn't saying that it was an overnight thing. Naturally, the local population wasn't gonna just hand over control to some foreign invaders. The fact remains that superior technology helped these invaders achieve their goals.

I was also aware that Cortes faced many difficulties during his conquest but the fact was that he was against overwhelmingly large forces with a much, much smaller army. He still pulled it off though, difficult as it may have been.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 11:08AM, Nov. 19, 2009
(offline)
I would go about my day as usual.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Aghammer at 2:26PM, Nov. 19, 2009
(offline)
That would be AWESOME!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
Lonnehart at 9:24PM, Nov. 19, 2009
(online)
I know this is unrelated to this thread, but do you guys think this would be a giant battleship?

Youtube vid: Ace Combat 6 Mission 9

You'll see glimpses of it at 4:30. I'm sure the four other smaller (but still giant) planes are battleship types, but not sure about the largest one since planes can LAND ON IT!!! O_O
Evil_Hare at 8:09AM, Nov. 20, 2009
(online)
I'd throw my easel, drawing board, and other supplies in my pickup truck, grab mah woman, and git the hell out of there!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
harkovast at 11:09AM, Nov. 20, 2009
(online)
Wait….europe conquered the world by sending flying battleships at their cities?
I bet ET was invovled somehow!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
ERasER at 1:19PM, Nov. 20, 2009
(online)
harkovast
Wait….europe conquered the world by sending flying battleships at their cities?
I bet ET was invovled somehow!
ET is involved with most alien invasions - he was a scout
BackSeat Gamers
picachu365 at 8:43PM, Nov. 23, 2009
(offline)
either I'd steal the death egg and use it's weapons or, break in with Uzi's shotgun and a bazuka firing at everything that moves
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Ozoneocean at 9:03PM, Nov. 23, 2009
(online)
picachu365
either I'd steal the death egg and use it's weapons or, break in with Uzi's shotgun and a bazuka firing at everything that moves
1. what's a death egg?
2. You'd be out of range. Not that those weapons would do any damage anyway…
bravo1102 at 11:24PM, Nov. 24, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
bravo1102
Conquering these places took a long time…
Well… the two maps that I provided, did span a century in between. I wasn't saying that it was an overnight thing. Naturally, the local population wasn't gonna just hand over control to some foreign invaders. The fact remains that superior technology helped these invaders achieve their goals.

I was also aware that Cortes faced many difficulties during his conquest but the fact was that he was against overwhelmingly large forces with a much, much smaller army. He still pulled it off though, difficult as it may have been.

The myth that he did it with a much smaller army is false. He had all the subjected peoples of the Aztecs on his side due to a charismatic princess/translater working with him. When the Spaniards actually had to fight one on one, they didn't do as well as everyone seems to think they did. The muskets were nearly useless and no more than noisemakers as were the cannon. The Aztecs learned how to take down the horsemen the same as the Romans learned to take out elephants in the Punic wars.

And as far as a lot of those areas it was no more than a couple of guys showing up, having the locals build a house and a flag pole and running up the flag. Superior technology does not equal victory.

Tell that to the USA in one of the last of the classic colonial wars: Vietnam. Okay the space battleships conquered the cities. They have to create a infrastructure to dominate the world. Watch the classic original “V” series. Too many places in the world it'll only be two guys and a flag pole.

Our would-be dominators will need some way to reduce the population to make it easier to colonize or they'll lose eventually and the colonialism will fail or they'll just put in a little ruling group that will eventually vanish into the population. That's how China dealt with numerous conquerers. Persia, India (before the Brits)

I'd see the conquest of earth by our space battleship guys as like Vietnam or occupied Europe in WWII (there's that “V” TV series again. V for Victory? The little V's painted over the enemy posters? Vive Le Resistance

So there'll be the aliens and there'll be Giap, Ho, Geronimio, Tito, Pontiac etc.

It ain't over till it's over.
Night_Mare at 2:03PM, Dec. 4, 2009
(offline)
Get the people out of the city.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
The Gravekeeper at 9:43PM, Dec. 7, 2009
(offline)
I'd move near the ocean. It's always something like water or germs that kills the aliens; that one time with the computer virus was just a fluke. Those aliens probably would have died from fatal and instantaneous allergic reactions to mosquito bites or something.

Also, I'd get far away from both New York and Washington, DC. Those places are like magnets for crap that wrecks cities.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Aleks55 at 7:13PM, Dec. 21, 2009
(online)
I'd run around the street naked yelling vulgarity!

what? We're all going to get vaporized anyway!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon