Random Discussion

SW vs. ST
Salsa at 9:14PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(offline)
DISCLAIMER:
I hope this goes without saying, but try and keep it civil.
/DISCLAIMER

Tonight on the Drunk Duck News Netterwebz, we have a debate that could decide the FATE of HUMANITY! Two polar opposites come head to head, only one will be left standing. Who will win? YOU DECIDE!

first up Who is the bigger badass?

Darth Vader versus James T. Kirk

Okay, boiz, (and girls) I wanna nice clean fight, no low blows, capesh?

Oh and to keep everyone straight, put one of the following in your sigs please

Star Wars: SW Expert
Star Trek: ST Expert
Undecided/Neutral: Team River Tam

Ready…
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
Salsa at 9:15PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(offline)
Post reserved for further Topic suggestions.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
ozoneocean at 9:53PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(online)
Starwars cosplay is sexier, so it wins.

Star Trek just has strange green girls, women in short go-go dresses with go-go boots, and Seven of Nine. And those are all pretty modest.

Star Wars has slave girl princess Leia, and dancing girl slave with two big tentacles on her head instead of hair… And I dunno what else, but those two are pretty damn hot!

Plus, all the other outfits are far cooler- Darth Vader, Storm Troopers, that mercenary guy with the rocket backpack… etc.
Star Trek just has endless fat guys dressed as Klingons T_T

——————–
Kirk and Darth… I dunno. I'm not that into it. Kirk is funnier, Darth is too serious. Darth looks better though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
crocty at 9:58PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(online)
Kirk

Nuff said.
THIS NEW SITE SUCKS I'M LEAVING FOREVER I PROMISE, GUYS.
NOT BLUFFING, I'M GONE IF YOU DON'T FIX IT.
Oh god I'm so alone someone pay attention to me
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Hakoshen at 10:00PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(offline)
One word: Forcechoke. From half a galaxy away.

God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
crocty at 10:03PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(online)
“Cap'n, we got a weird signal coming, it seems to be something we've never seen before. Luckily our deflector shields blocked it. Haggis.”

“Can you trace it and lock on to the source?”

“Aye cap'n, it appears to be a large metal star. Kilts.”

“Captain, if I may suggest, an exhaust port is located near the back of the star, firing a torpedo in there should destroy the star.”

etc.
Hakoshen at 10:19PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(offline)
Kirk: How long till we can get in range to use our torpedoes?

Redshirt: A full warp sir? To the other side of the galaxy?

Kirk: That's what I said, isn't it?

Redshirt: About seven hundred years, sir.

Kirk: …

Yellowshirt: Sir, enemy cruisers entering realspace and discharging fighters.

Kirk: How many?

Yellowshirt: About a thousand, sir.

Damn it Salsa, you tricked me into fanboying out!
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
crocty at 10:26PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(online)
“Cap'n, if I might suggest, using time travel, which we have and always did have, we go back in time, 1000 or so times, creating 1000 clones of our ship, thus easily winning. BAGPIPES.”

“Okay sure that sounds pretty reasonable for a Star Trek episode let's do that. How do we escape?”

“Remember that perfect cloaking device we stole from the Romulans ages ago?”

“Yes, the one that makes you invisible. I'm using it to prop up a table in my room.”

“Let's use that, sir. BRAVEHEART”

“OH NO OUR ENGINES ARE DOWN FOR SOME REASON, YOU'LL HAVE TO BEAM ON BOARD THE SHIP FOR SOME REASON TO BUY US SOME TIME, CAP'N.”

“lolk”

You know I only like Star Trek ironically.
Ochitsukanai at 11:02PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(online)
I changed my sig for ya, but also RELEVANT AVATAR CHANGE GO D:<

Someone who didn't recognize my old avatars told me that they made me look like crocty (due to the horns I guess) but now no one shall draw this comparison.

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
ozoneocean at 11:29PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(online)
crocty

Someone who didn't recognize my old avatars told me that they made me look like crocty (due to the horns I guess) but now no one shall draw this comparison.
Nice avatar ^_^

itsjustaar at 2:30AM, Dec. 8, 2010
(offline)
Oh god, not another one of these debates, lol… as if it couldn't get any worse. :P

Funny how everyone's bringing up the 60's show without mentioning the movies, or the other series. ‘Enterprise’ was meh, even if Dr. Samuel Beckett and Danny the Cat was on it, but that's in there too.

=-=-=-=-=

Kirk: “Solo, you say?”

Han: “I reckon it is.”

Kirk: “Are you sure? Chewie doesn't seem to think so.”

*Chewbacca growls, caught holding Han's hand*
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
KnaveMurdok at 3:38AM, Dec. 8, 2010
(offline)
Star Wars LOST ALL CREDIBILITY to me in 1999 when NOBODY read the script to EPISODE 1 and it was RELEASED ANYWAY.

It was a better franchise when continuing the saga was a task left up to the fans.

Heir to the Empire
X-Wing: Rouge Squadron
Dark Forces
Heir to the Empire
Han Solo Chronicles
Splinter of the Mind's Eye

NONE OF THIS was touched by Lucas, and it remains some of THE BEST STAR WARS STUFF outisde of the original trilogy.

What do we have now? Lucas has DIPPED HIS DIRTY FINGERS INTO EVERY AVAILABLE PIE, and we have the fucking CLONE WARS CG THING.

I remember when we had that awesome 2D cartoon running, THOSE were badass, despite the fact it featured characters I had no stake in.

I THOUGHT that maybe Star Trek was dead as well, back in 2001 when “Enterprise” aired. THAT was the WORST GODDAMN SHIT I'VE EVER SEEN ON TV, EVER.

NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO SEE SCOTT BAKULA IN HIS UNDERWEAR, NO ONE!

But I'm a sucker for J.J. Abrams update to the original series.
I KNOW it's a cop out what with the TIME TRAVELING and the ALTERNATE REALITY…

oh by the way…

SPOILER ALERT!

But all of this aside, it was an ENJOYABLE MOVIE that LOOKED AWESOME, within a few moments of the movie beginning we got to see a WOMAN SUCKED OUT INTO SPACE!

THAT'S HARDCORE!!!

CURRENTLY the score rests at:

STAR TREK: 1
STAR WARS: 0
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
itsjustaar at 4:29AM, Dec. 8, 2010
(offline)
'Star Wars' to me is good, but feels too deep for my interests. It's different than ‘Star Trek’, and most people probably already know it; the universes are different, none of them would fit. Ships are faster, weapons are souped-up, the Force is like the Hand of God in some cases. The only neutral characters I can think of that I can relate to is really Han and Chewie… Luke, not so much.

I like ‘Star Trek’ on the grounds that it's just a good old fashioned retelling of ‘Treasure Island’ and whatever pirate/seafaring stories you can pick up in classic literature. Watch some of the classic episodes, but you'll probably get a nice drive home with Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager.

However, I do say Q and the Continuum would mop the floor with the Empire.
Genejoke at 5:02AM, Dec. 8, 2010
(online)
treasure planet tops them both :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
itsjustaar at 5:18AM, Dec. 8, 2010
(offline)
By the gods, yes. xD Thank you. Captain Amelia for the win!
KnaveMurdok at 2:02PM, Dec. 8, 2010
(offline)
Q was a BADASS!
He was my BIGGEST ROLE MODEL growing up.

I am STARTING TO SEE where things when TERRIBLY WRONG with me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
bravo1102 at 6:34PM, Dec. 8, 2010
(online)
You know this has been done to death on Youtube and face it the Death Star is no Borg Cube and Star Destroyers aren't Jem Hadar.

Star Fleet would mop the floor with the Imperial Forces the same way that the US Navy (the basis of Star Fleet; Roddenberry was Navy) wiped the floor with another Imperial Fleet; the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Enterprise NCC-1701 would give it to those Star Destroyers the same way Enterprise CV-6 did to Hiryu, Soryu and Akagi. And then there's that little ship.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Ochitsukanai at 6:52PM, Dec. 8, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
crocty

Nice avatar ^_^
Oh thanks, I painted it myse - WAIT A MINUTE D:

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
ozoneocean at 7:46PM, Dec. 8, 2010
(online)
@Ochitsukanai- Teehee! Seriously though, that's a cool avi!
bravo1102
You know this has been done to death on Youtube and face it the Death Star is no Borg Cube and Star Destroyers aren't Jem Hadar.
Hrrrrrrrrrrmmmm, the dork is strong with this one!

————

…I'll get my dork on with Naval stuff…

From what I know of space as well as naval warfare I'd have to agree, but for slightly different reasons. Starwars space warfare is modelled after WW2 US carrier battles; that makes nice flashy visuals with lots of fighter dogfights, but teeny vulnerable one man craft with limited range, weapons and survivability in the open, infinite vastness of space is illogical, none of the reasons that justify fighter planes on earth exist in deep space. The submarine/battleship/torpedo boat tactics of Star Trek make more sense.
There are no clouds or curvature of the earth to hide behind… vast sensor range and lightspeed weapons mean that any fighter squadron would be picked off virtually at launch and their carrier would follow directly.

WW2 warships were vulnerable to fighters mainly because they were limited to moving in 2 dimensions over the surface of the ocean. Their weapons were optimised for killing other ships and their armour (if any) was limited to the sides of the hull, guns and citadel to protect against other ships.
A space warship has to fight and defend in a spherical battlefield, all directions with equal alacrity. Fighters become obsolete in that scenario, there is no advantage- nothing to hide behind, no blind spots…

bravo1102 at 8:49PM, Dec. 8, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
@Ochitsukanai- Teehee! Seriously though, that's a cool avi!
bravo1102
Hrrrrrrrrrrmmmm, the dork is strong with this one!

Yup, everything I know I learned while wargaming. My college friends played Star Fleet Battles and I built ship models. But what effect would a wave motion gun have in all this?

Remember Space Cruiser Yamato came before Star Wars and the influence has been acknowledged.

We'd sneak in our minibox Space Cruiser Yamato models too.
crocty at 12:22AM, Dec. 9, 2010
(online)
Ochitsukanai

hahahahaha!

Wow I still have my Equius avi and sig…I only put them up to annoy people for some mafia-related reason. Maybe I should switch it back sometime.

Also yeah yeah yeah Kirk wins blah blah.
Product Placement at 2:34AM, Dec. 9, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Star wars Carrier tactics vs Star Trek submarine tactics.
(deciding to root for Star Wars, since so many are rooting for the Trek)

Anyone noticed that in the star wars universe, people don't talk so adamantly about targeting sensors as they do in the star trek universe? All the guns seem to be aimed manually. Starfleet can hit a pinhead on the other side of the solar system, simply because their computer did all the work for them.

I'm guessing that the Star wars universe never invented targeting sensors that are advanced enough to track tiny, fast moving objects, which is why space dogfighting is a valid tactic. Either that or they've invented targeting scramblers that makes such technology utterly useless. Can anyone tell me anything about how advanced ECM and ECCM are in these two universes? Is it possible that the Star Wars universe has an advantage against the Trek world when it comes to sensor jamming? Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Star Trek fleets would be mopped up by the empire, simply because Starfleet can't hit them?

The larger battleships instead seem to focus on massive guns, that can target other battleships, with manual aiming. Then we have the small fighters that are equipped with nuclear warhead equivalent torpedoes to drop on said battleships. When your big guns can't target the small fighters, it makes a whole lot of sense to have fighters guarding your ass.

Since losing a battleship means losing billions of dollars and hundreds/thousands of crewmen vs losing millions of dollars worth of investment and a handful of people when sending a fighter squadron on a suicide mission, it kinda makes sense why they would make fighters.

Edit: Also, it has just come to my attention that the original debate was who was a bigger bad ass: Dart Wader or Captain Kirk.

…honestly speaking, this thing derailed so fast that I didn't even notice the original tracks.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
bravo1102 at 1:39AM, Dec. 10, 2010
(online)
Think about it this way:

Space travel is like sailing by the wind. Rather than actual wind you have thrust. Now a fighter size ship isn't practical in a battle line-up of ships and a space battle would have more in common with Horatio Hornblower and Run Silent Run Deep or The Enemy Below than Dam Busters or A Wing and a Prayer, Men of the Fighting Lady, or Bridges at Toko-Ri

I used the movies that respectively served as the cinematic inspriation for Star Trek and Star Wars space battles. Watch them and you'll have deja-vu and you shake your head and it's an F3H Banshee fighter or Lancaster bomber not an X-Wing and that those special effects guys copied the scenes frame by frame… :)

Star Trek was supposed to be Horatio Hornblower in space. The ships of Star Fleet fight more like the ships of Nelson or Jellicoe in line and breaking the line than the fighters of Star Wars. Remember the Imperial Fleet wears those little hats for a reason, they're copied from Imperial Japanese Navy caps just as the Darth Vader march is copied from a marching tune of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The Star War Imperial Fleet is supposed to be like the Imperial Japanese Navy and that's maybe a sidelong salute the golden era of carrier aviation with the Zero and Wildcat dog fighting like the X-wing and TIE fighter. And that torpedo being fired from a Kate or Swordfish.

Scratch one flattop.
Hakoshen at 10:51AM, Dec. 10, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
…honestly speaking, this thing derailed so fast that I didn't even notice the original tracks.

I think that happened when the comment was made that manipulation of the force could both be detected and blocked by shields, in addition to the fact that the title doesnt represent the original post. I think a better question would be, since Vader is not only superpowered but has a relatively unbeatable weapon would be Data vs Chewbacca in a brawl. I'd pay five bucks to see that fight.

Fleet debates are like comparing apples to turkey. Weapons are different and physics are different. The obvious winner is going to be whichever universe hosts the fight because the other's ships and weapons are going to have catastrophic failures or just sit dead in space.

But, since I'm a fanboy I have to mention this: Borg cube = 3 km in diameter. Death star = 900 km in diameter. Masswise, there is no comparison. Further, combat range of star wars ships starts at 2 to 3000 km. Star trek is within 5 to 10km. The power of a star trek phaser is 3.6 giga watts. The power of a naval class laser in star wars is 300 million giga watts. And these numbers are enterprise D vs a small star destroyer, much less a single super star destroyer or death star.
-Harkovast
Mutation at 11:06PM, Dec. 10, 2010
(online)
They'd try to battle, but they'd be at a deadlock, because the Star Wars people would get transport malfunctions trying to work with the transports of Star Trek thus splicing and killing them, and Star Trek, well, they'd probably hurt themselves trying to play with lightsabers.

Then the Borg and the Darkside would have epic fights.

Go team Taaaaaaam~!

KALA-Dan! Reverse Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
ozoneocean at 2:21AM, Dec. 11, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
The larger battleships instead seem to focus on massive guns, that can target other battleships, with manual aiming. Then we have the small fighters that are equipped with nuclear warhead equivalent torpedoes to drop on said battleships. When your big guns can't target the small fighters, it makes a whole lot of sense to have fighters guarding your ass.
Since losing a battleship means losing billions of dollars and hundreds/thousands of crewmen vs losing millions of dollars worth of investment and a handful of people when sending a fighter squadron on a suicide mission, it kinda makes sense why they would make fighters.
It's a valiant but vain attempt, much like most kamikaze missions ironically :)

You're still using WW2 tactics as an analogy unfortunately. But that situation only existed due to factors specific to that time and that time only:
By WW2 battleships were outdated; being designed to sink other heavily armoured battleships and defend against them. They couldn't defend against fighters because their armour was in the wrong places and AA gun technology was in its infancy.
Fighters could project greater force longer distances from their mother-ships -that would stay safely out of range beyond the horizon. They could carry larger weapon payloads than the battleships had any defence against (in the form of torpedoes and gravity assisted bombs) and deliver them with greater accuracy than any long range gun. They could travel faster and further than ships because they flew through the air while ships were limited to the surface of the ocean…
…but building carrier craft is just as expensive…

Those historical factors don't apply to space, there's virtually nowhere for their mother-ships to hide. Even in solar systems the distances are way too vast to make such craft practical, it's doubtful fighters would even have enough on board fuel to get close enough to use their tiny weapons before they were destroyed by a large particle beam or some such… Hunting inside asteroid fields would be about their limit. Defence and attack capabilities of large ships would be fully spherical in range since space has no “up” or “down”, they wouldn't have the traditional vulnerabilities of their historical counterparts; they're not limited to “the surface of an ocean”.
Even the targeting idea doesn't really work, - with size comes superior resources, the power to burn through all countermeasures, the ability to pour out vast curtains to fire… with weapons such as lasers, particle beams that travel at the speed of light and accelerated projectiles that travel at a good portion of the speed of light, there's no way to dodge that. Missiles would be far too slow in this context, and things like gravity assisted bombs and torpedoes are totally irrelevant. - there are no weapons that a fighter could carry that couldn't be carried and employed more effectively on a larger ship.

Even if small craft did make sense in some way, why would you bother putting humans at risk? Remote controlled or even autonomous fighters, drone craft, would be what you'd use…
Hakoshen
But, since I'm a fanboy I have to mention this: Borg cube = 3 km in diameter. Death star = 900 km in diameter. Masswise, there is no comparison. Further, combat range of star wars ships starts at 2 to 3000 km. Star trek is within 5 to 10km. The power of a star trek phaser is 3.6 giga watts. The power of a naval class laser in star wars is 300 million giga watts. And these numbers are enterprise D vs a small star destroyer, much less a single super star destroyer or death star.
And yet they primarily use their useless fighters… In that case you'd have to say Trek would win because Star Wars people are tactically blind, like Nelson winning at Trafalgar over the superior forces of the French and Spanish.

Haha, tactically, spacefighters are a nonsense, I think, so Star Trek really does have the right idea. but I still prefer the battle scenes in Star wars, they're way more fun and exciting than Star Trek could ever be!

Hakoshen at 6:37AM, Dec. 11, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
And yet they primarily use their useless fighters… In that case you'd have to say Trek would win because Star Wars people are tactically blind, like Nelson winning at Trafalgar over the superior forces of the French and Spanish.

The movies emphasized the dogfights so Luke and Anakakin Skywalker could be big heroes, of course! Otherwise we would have had carriers slugging it out and terrible, TERRIBLE dialogue and drama to deal with and who would watch that?? The bigger ships do battle and there is a greater depth of tactics in play, but don't count on actually seeing that in the movies because Lucas has a no capacity for directing naval battles (if you hadn't noticed, I don't much care for George). Star destroyers are actually for taking out other capital ships, and they're normally the ones who do the most damage. They aren't carrier battles, they're battleship battles. The CG Clone Wars series actually does a decent job of representing this (in some episodes anyways).

In addition individual fighters carry enough firepower to take out larger ships. Proton torpedoes have an effective range of 3Km, had shields, were unaffected by the majority of energy shields, and every X-wing had them. Two dozen X-Wings could easily take out a galaxy class ship, without that giant ship behind them providing fire support. Tie fighters on the other hand… well now I'm not so sure. Since all they had was two laser cannons and no shields, I'm pretty sure they would be picked off once they closed into combat range by those fast-as-the-speed-of-light phaser banks, even if they sent a full flight of them.
-Harkovast
ozoneocean at 7:03AM, Dec. 11, 2010
(online)
Hakoshen
In addition individual fighters carry enough firepower to take out larger ships. Proton torpedoes have an effective range of 3Km, had shields, were unaffected by the majority of energy shields, and every X-wing had them.
Heh, that again comes from WW2 where firepower=bombs, but doesn't make sense in space where fighters and proton torpedoes travel far slower and have far less range than the the energy weapons firing at them. Your average space battles would probably happen at 1000km to maybe even 20,000km+ rages, possibly more.
…I'm just pulling those numbers out of my bum though, because I know the ranges are massive and there's a LOT of empty in space…

…but then I'm not really saying Star Trek ships would win either. Both worlds are products of entertainment fiction, designed to look good on screen, with heaps of silly Achilles heals built in in order to provide lots of vectors for drama… (exhaust port on the death star?), I just think the star Trek guys had a nod toward the more logical approach.

We all know the Star wars guys would win. One Jedi can take out an entire star destroyer just with his mind power alone! I've seen that game trailer! ^_^

Product Placement at 8:31AM, Dec. 12, 2010
(online)
Well… Looks like the federation won't shy from using fighters after all. At least not according to this particular space battle.

Again, I like to point out the fact that the Star Wars world utilizes allot of electric counter measures. Millennium falcon jams any incoming star destroyer so that they have a harder time hitting him. The entire rebel fleet couldn't even detect that the second death star had its shields still intact due to massive jamming. You never hear Starfleet talk about jamming tactics. Thus I like to claim that the Star Wars universe considers small fighters to be a tactically valid option since they can scramble targeting computers, thus forcing manual targeting. In that regard it doesn't matter how fast the projectile is. You still have to hit those suckers.

I was looking up some more technical data regarding ST vs SW when I stumbled upon this little treasure trove. It includes everything you need to know, regarding shielding technology, weaponry, engines, power core, infrastructure and more. The site is obviously biased towards Star Wars though and it's set up to look like an Empirical intelligence report about the Federation, as they're preparing for an invasion into the ST galaxy so the Trek supporters can take it at a face value.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
ozoneocean at 9:11AM, Dec. 12, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
Thus I like to claim that the Star Wars universe considers small fighters to be a tactically valid option since they can scramble targeting computers, thus forcing manual targeting. In that regard it doesn't matter how fast the projectile is. You still have to hit those suckers.
That's based on old style conventional radar jamming- confusing and overloading the signals you get back on radar…

But you probably wouldn't rely an radar anyway, it's too slow and far too short range for the sorts of massive distances in space. For active sensing tech you want something faster like laser, which is optical and if you can see that target with your eyes… not jammed.

But really, sensors would most likely be passive- anything your target gives off is how you're going to detect it. Also anything it blocks or changes the appearance off (just due to the objects gravity, it'll distort light the teeniest fraction)- think of the way we see distant objects from Earth, or at least know they're there.
Star Trek is exceedingly dorky and scientific to the inth degree, at least in the next generation series. That kind of stuff is what they live for! They'd be talking curtains of tachyon wave pulses or other mumbojumbo…

As I say though, none of it is really realistic of course. Just “warp” in some fighters up close and you can dogfight to your heart's desire. The Star Trek ships ALL look so sucky, I'd love to see them blasted to crap.
Silly flying saucer shapes… and what are the wings even FOR on the Klingon ships?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved