Media Megaforum

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street
Phantom Penguin at 10:05AM, Jan. 2, 2008
(offline)
The new(ish) movie from Tim Burton staring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter is based off of a musical theater production from the 1800s.

I just recently watched it and it was way better then I thought it would be, I'm happy they didn't have voice actors for the singing parts, and the actors did all their own singing, rather well at that. The only complaint I had about the whole thing is the comical color the blood was whenever Sweeney attacked someone, in a movie that really wasn't supposed to be funny they really made a joke out of the murders he commits.

Anyone else see it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
crazyninny at 10:58AM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
I personally had trouble watching the movie do to the fact the Johnny's butt looked so hot in those pants he was wearing. O_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Inkmonkey at 2:13PM, Jan. 2, 2008
(offline)
Phantom Penguin
The only complaint I had about the whole thing is the comical color the blood was whenever Sweeney attacked someone, in a movie that really wasn't supposed to be funny they really made a joke out of the murders he commits.

I'm going to have to disagree on that one. There's a lot of dark humor in Sweeney Todd (there would have to be, seeing as it's a musical about a murderer). The movie was meant to be funny, to some degree, and the over the top nature of some of the murders was part of that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Dragonizer at 5:03PM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
I saw it and thought it was awesome. The parts were played out nicely, the singing well-done, and the dark humor that was there perfect.

Of course, the end was kinda sad… But eh, what could you expect.

Anyway, I loved it. =D
K.A.L.A.-dan! Morality Pet >:3
The end of time will be the end of guilt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM
donkas at 5:04PM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
my dad uset to el me horror stories characters like the demon barber, and the pieman, when i was a tike, im cant say im expecting much from this flick though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
lastcall at 3:25AM, Jan. 4, 2008
(offline)
I haven't seen it yet, but I hear good things about it. I'm anxious to see it. I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan–hell, I used to be in the ‘Johnny Depp Fan Club’ when I was a kid. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
dinges at 3:41AM, Jan. 4, 2008
(online)
haven't seen it yet, for some reason the Netherlands have to wait two weeks longer for movies to be released here :S
anyway I'm looking forward to it
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:11PM
mechanical_lullaby at 3:48AM, Jan. 4, 2008
(online)
I heard it was mediocre. Wasn't horrible and wasn't great. I'm going to wait for it to come out on video because well… um… I'm going to be honest here, I'm tired of seeing Johnny Depp/Helen Bonham/Tim Burton films anyway. Disagree with me if you want, it's not going to change my mind. It's like Tim Burton's the president of some highschool drama department with REALLY fancy sets and costumes and Johnny and Helen are his two best friends. And they all REALLY like stripe motifs.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
lastcall at 1:50PM, Jan. 4, 2008
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
It's like Tim Burton's the president of some highschool drama department with REALLY fancy sets and costumes and Johnny and Helen are his two best friends. And they all REALLY like stripe motifs.

Hee hee, that's awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
keithmccleary at 1:18PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(online)
Saw it a few nights ago. Meh. Tim Burton has this remarkable ability to make movies that I hear about for the first time (Tim Burton's Willy Wonka, Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd) and say to myself, “Yeah, well that will probably end up looking like such-and-such.”

And then he makes the exact movie I thought he would. Totally without surprise. It's sort of incredible.

So yeah – it's predictably dark and bloody. Performances in general are pretty awesome, but it doesn't make the whole thing any less “blah.” Seems like all of his movies are exercises in pointlessness. I used to really like him when I was younger, and I still think some of his early movies have some kick. But none of them work nearly as well as they did when I was fourteen.
Now updating without interruption, starting 2/16.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
magickmaker at 5:17AM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
I'm not usually a big Tim Burton fan, but I really loved this movie. I thought it was very well done, albeit a bit stereotypical for a Burton film.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Warpedwenger at 3:35PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
mechanical_lullaby
I heard it was mediocre. Wasn't horrible and wasn't great. I'm going to wait for it to come out on video because well… um… I'm going to be honest here, I'm tired of seeing Johnny Depp/Helen Bonham/Tim Burton films anyway. Disagree with me if you want, it's not going to change my mind. It's like Tim Burton's the president of some highschool drama department with REALLY fancy sets and costumes and Johnny and Helen are his two best friends. And they all REALLY like stripe motifs.
I dont agree with that lots of directors have actors that ther prefer and I think its cool. Like the Coen Bros if your a huge fan of their work like me you feel like their worlds are connected.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
SpANG at 11:08AM, Jan. 27, 2008
(online)
Just saw this, and I really thought it was great.

The blood color was a definite attempt at contrasting the mostly black&white/dark setting. I think it worked well. Plus, from what I've read of the musical, it stayed pretty true to it.

M favorite movie of the year so far. ;)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
jon kulczar at 6:40AM, Jan. 30, 2008
(offline)
It was absolute Burton perfection…
darkish fun stuff!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Izzy11 at 11:52AM, Feb. 3, 2008
(offline)
lol they sing about what people would taste like in their pies! lol!
Kero kero kero kero! >:3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Sidwarrious at 2:52PM, Feb. 6, 2008
(online)
I never went and saw it because I don't pay to see Burton movies without PAYING to see Burton movies. Burton is a guy I'd probably like if he wasn't Burton. At this point in time the only reason to explain why he has had his head so far up his own ass is that Johnny Depp lives there inside Burton's ass, and it's not that Burton is that stupid, but he's simply talking to a friend for decades on end. I loved him as a kid, but as I got older the whole thing just got less appealing.

My Burton-bits asides, I didn't see Todd because until it said “Sweeny Todd” on the “Mar Key” I coulda sworned that they had just made The Count of Monte Cristo! I didn't know there was preexisting material for Sweeny Todd, but I really thought they had just made a really cheesy gimmicky CoMC and I will continue to believe this because I am very stubborn and enjoy having my own head up my own ass. But I keep my head in there because without interference from the outside world I can continue to delude myself into thinking I'm right about everything.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
Twilight_of_the_gods at 5:09PM, March 7, 2008
(online)
I have to disagree, I enjoy Burton's work, although he can be a bit predictable and sometimes does seem to almost have a crush on certain actors so he must continuously put them in his films in the hope that one day they will finally notice his undying love for them. Still, the actors he uses are good actors, so I can't really complain. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see this one, but I wanted to and I'm deffinately going to rent it when it comes out on video.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
sasu at 1:03PM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
I absolutely loved the movie (Hell, I'm listening to the soundtrack right now).

Despite my rather… harsh dislike of Johnny Depp, I was rather pleased. Everyone performed wonderfully. I love the singing (obviously). The acting couldn't have been better. Casting was amazing, and while they changed quite a bit, they managed to stay rather accurate to the original production.

Favorite song = Epiphany.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
korosu at 1:16PM, March 17, 2008
(online)
sasu
Favorite song = Epiphany.
Ultimate win. I really like “Poor Thing”, too, but “Epiphany” is amazing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved