Debate and Discussion

Swine flu... sorry, "Mexican flu"
BffSatan at 12:19AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Someone
JERUSALEM — The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed “Mexican” influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.

Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions and “we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu,” he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel.

Both Judaism and Islam consider pigs unclean and forbid the eating of pork products.

Scientists are unsure where the new swine flu virus originally emerged, though it was identifed first in the United States. They say there is nothing about the virus that makes it “Mexican” and worry such a label would be stigmatizing.

Two Israelis who recently visited Mexico have been hospitalized with symptoms of the flu. Health authorities have not yet confirmed whether they actually have the virus.

The current strain of swine flu is thought to have originated in Mexico where more than 100 people have been killed by the disease so far.

Laboratories in the U.S. and Canada have confirmed that of the samples tested so far, the swine flu virus in Mexico and U.S. appear to be the same.
link

Does this seem increadibley stupid to anyone else? It's called swine flu because it comes from pigs and shouldn't Mexican flu be more offensive to mexicans then swine flu is offensive to jews?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Product Placement at 12:59AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Heh. I was just reading the same news myself. I guess it's now forbidden to speak the name of that unclean animal among the Jewish and Muslims.

It's silly reasoning but flues have been named after countries before. The flu that hit us in 1918 was dubbed the Spanish flu. Then there was the Asian flu and the Hong Kong flu.

Deceases often get named after the places they originate. This naming them after animals they originate from is a new thing compared to that.

Maybe we should go back to giving them cool names like the black death. Hmm… How about the turquoise menace.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Hakoshen at 4:58AM, April 28, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
Deceases often get named after the places they originate. This naming them after animals they originate from is a new thing compared to that.

I've got it; Mexican Swine Flu.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
ozoneocean at 6:15AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
There's been flu viruses named after animals for a long time too PP. I think the problrm here isn't that the Israelis are naming it after Mexico, it's that the whole world has already given it a name, but because of someone's silliness in Israel (no way would I accuse the whole country :)), they have to give it their own special name.

I bet you anything though that most Israelis couldn't give a crap what it's called. Policy there seems to be directed by the insane crowd, but I seriously doubt the represent the majority.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
imshard at 7:22AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
I bet you anything though that most Israelis couldn't give a crap what it's called. Policy there seems to be directed by the insane crowd, but I seriously doubt the represent the majority.

(emphasis added)
Isn't that the case Everywhere?
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
kyupol at 7:37AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
If government institutes mass mandatory vaccinations, I will NOT COOPERATE!

The best way to combat flu is by keeping yourself in shape through proper diet, nutrition, and exercise.

Your immune system is your friend. Vaccinations are the enemy.

link

I never had a single flu shot in my life. I've tried my best to convince family members not to take the flu shot to no avail.

And I'm the healthiest one. Haven't got a flu in years! I only get the slight cold (its not enough to make me absent from work) whenever the temperature abruptly changes.

Its been awhile since I last had a vaccine. When I was younger, my dad used to work for a big company and he made sure that I'm up to date with my shots. Not that he's a bad man but because of lack of knowledge.

And yes the vaccines contributed to my IQ reduction. When I was 5 years old, I had an IQ of 150 and every one of my teachers kept telling my parents of how gifted I am and how smart I am and how I could probably be the future president of the country or a top scientist or lawyer or something.

But now I get anywhere from 120-130 depending on the test.

Here's an article about vaccines and neurological damage.
http://www.mercola.com/article/vaccines/neurological_damage.htm

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Product Placement at 7:58AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
There's been flu viruses named after animals for a long time too PP.
Like what? I can't recall one.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
HybridLemonade at 10:26AM, April 28, 2009
(offline)
lets just call it the bacon flu. everyones happy then.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
megan_rose at 12:46PM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
ozoneocean
There's been flu viruses named after animals for a long time too PP.
Like what? I can't recall one.

Avian / Bird Flu for one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Product Placement at 12:59PM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Ehem. I think I made myself quite clear that I was aware of the Avian flue since I stated that naming them after animals is a recent thing. Ozon was trying to make a point that he knows of diseases that occurred long time ago, named after animals. The Avian flue is not an old illness. Again I ask what OLD disease was named after animal? chicken pox does not count.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
megan_rose at 3:43PM, April 28, 2009
(online)
You never said you wanted an “old” disease, just one that happened before. However, just because something has been happening for a long time doesn't mean we should continue it. The naming of diseases after places is outdated, and rightly so.

The naming of diseases after animals might be a new thing because we're being a little more PC these days. Calling a disease “Mexican Flu” is horribly insensitive to the Mexican people, and implies that the disease is all their fault. The disease we call Swine Flu did not originate in a Mexican person, and it's debatable whether it actually originated in Mexico. It has also spread outside of Mexico, so calling is the Mexican Flu is misleading on so many fronts. But the term “Swine Flu” is apt because this disease is endemic to pigs, found in pigs, and originated in pigs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Skullbie at 5:57AM, April 29, 2009
(online)
I say let them, to people not of their area or religion it seems frivolous to avoid the word ‘pig’ but to them it's likened to saying ‘shit flu’.
And besides it is Mexico's fault this disease has spread to the point where RELIABLE NEWS CHANNELS such as FOX AND CNN are covering this crap 24/7 and japan is drowning everyone who came from Mexico with Lysol and Buddhist exorcism prayers.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
ozoneocean at 10:31AM, April 29, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
I say let them, to people not of their area or religion it seems frivolous to avoid the word ‘pig’ but to them it's likened to saying ‘shit flu’.
No it's not, only to a a crazy extreme minority. ;)
———
PP- you never hear of Chickenpox? Equine flu? Mad cow disease? lol!
That's just off the top of my head man, I didn't even have to look that stuff up, but if I did I'm sure I'd find more :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Hawk at 10:31AM, April 29, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
FOX AND CNN are covering this crap 24/7 and japan is drowning everyone who came from Mexico with Lysol and Buddhist exorcism prayers.

No kidding! I'm sure other things are happening in this world, but all I hear about is swine flu, swine flu, swine flu…

I swear, the older I get the more resentful I am toward the press. Before the swine flu it was the “Tot mom murders” every night, and before that it was “Obama-mania”. I miss when CNN would just cycle through all the big current events happening in the world with a few minor details instead of wasting entire evenings on one story.

I even feel like they're exaggerating the danger of swine flu in order to get viewership.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 10:35AM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
They don't even know for sure if it came from Mexico and they're branding it Mexican.

I'd be more offended if I were mexican than if I were muslim/jewish.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Product Placement at 11:26AM, April 29, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
PP- you never hear of Chickenpox? Equine flu? Mad cow disease? lol!
That's just off the top of my head man, I didn't even have to look that stuff up, but if I did I'm sure I'd find more :)
No I've never heard of the Equine flue but I may know of it under a different name. What does it do?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Puff_Of_Smoke at 12:21PM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
In politics, it makes you ‘nay’
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Chernobog at 2:16PM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
I'm with Hawk on this one concerning the media. Just more of their asinine fear mongering. They did the same thing with 9/11 for weeks on end, knowing that if they can paralyze someone enough with tha content, they'll stay focused out of an impulse of paranoia.

As for re-naming the disease… yeah, waste of time. One should hope that the name of a virus is the most of one's concerns. Kinda funny in a way, but what's politically correct for one country turns out to be offensive towards another. I consider ‘P.C.-ness’ one of the worst mainstream social inventions/dogmas of our time. It's amusing to see it squirm and burn on the global stage, although I hope it doesn't realistically hinder practical efforts concerning the actual disease.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
kyupol at 6:23AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
This can mean among many others:
1) emergency powers (aka MARTIAL LAW). This is an actual WHO document and do a search for “emergency power”.
http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/influenza/GIP_2005_5Eweb.pdf

2) Getting the government an excuse to do mass cullings of animals used by farmers as a source of livelihood.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6193785.ece

3) Mass Vaccinations. Violating the freedom of choice of the individual.
http://news.google.ca/news?um=1&ned=ca&hl=en&q=mass+vaccination

4) Economic effects. Worsening of economic crisis and loss of more jobs.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5if4MeXeWWOBdiqd2LZtgYPuUPDzgD97RFISO1

NOW UPDATING!!!
Orin J Master at 10:45AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
…it's the swine flu. it came from pigs, mutated, and is now transmittable human to human, but it came from pigs.

kyupol, you're funny when you're envisioning malice in the government that's not there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
kyupol at 1:42PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Orin J Master
…it's the swine flu. it came from pigs, mutated, and is now transmittable human to human, but it came from pigs.

kyupol, you're funny when you're envisioning malice in the government that's not there.

Vials of flu samples missing from Maryland Facility
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/22/missing.virus.sample/index.html

Also see NSSM 200 (Summary: the world population is so big. We need to reduce it.)
http://wlym.com/text/NSSM200.htm

Also its strange that Baxter is gonna work on the flu vaccine.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8481267

Why trust Baxter if they produce tainted vaccines:
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/features/heparin-tainted-recall.html?ref=staf

And why trust the UN if they want to control the population?
http://www.unfpa.org/pds/

NOW UPDATING!!!
Product Placement at 2:46PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Here's a news flash. WHO (The World Health Organization) has noticed a growing trend in countries banning pork products and orders of culling of their swine population. The reason behind that is the ever growing fear that pigs are causing the illness and that getting rid of them will make the disease magically disappear. The problem with that thought is that the flu has already made the jump to humans and that didn't originate 100% from pigs to begin with. Therefore WHO has come to the conclusion that the name is misleading and has made the announcement that henceforth the disease will be referred to as the H1N1 influenza A.

Rolls with your tongue allot better, doesn't it?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lefarce at 4:50PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
NEWS FLASH: Bed rest and a nice hot bowl of chicken noodle soup proves effective at elminating the flu.

Also and apple a day keeps the doctor away.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
bravo1102 at 5:45PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Call it the “hini” flu. (a pronunciation of H1N1?)

Calling a disease after an ethnic group/nationality one is not fond of has a long history. Anyone who didn't like Spaniards called Syphilis “Spanish pox” if you didn't like Frenchmen it was “The French pox” and so on.

There is also cowpox. Swinepox was one name for Smallpox in the 16th Century. Rickets was called the English Disease. Scabes was “The Scottish Disease”

President Obama told Americans to wash our hands more often and stay away from sneezing and coughing people and to stay home if we're sick. Sure beats the string of garlic around the neck my grandmother wore in 1918.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Hawk at 9:42AM, May 1, 2009
(online)
I got a nice refreshing change of attitude from my local news last night. They took a more relaxed stance on the “pandemic” by saying that it's probably not going to be a problem unless it mutates. Apparently the seasonal flu is causing far more deaths (though I know that's due do the fact that it has infected far more people). And they said that medication is getting properly distributed and it's a reasonably survivable disease.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Skullbie at 9:53AM, May 1, 2009
(online)
Hawk
Apparently the seasonal flu is causing far more deaths (though I know that's due do the fact that it has infected far more people). And they said that medication is getting properly distributed and it's a reasonably survivable disease.
That's what bugged me about it too, I could understand the hype around bird flu which in places like vietnam it killed nearly half the people infected with it.

Apparently Obama has asked congress for a 1.5 billion$ intervention thing if this gets any bigger, goddamn that guy likes to spend :/

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Orin J Master at 10:20AM, May 1, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
Hawk
Apparently the seasonal flu is causing far more deaths (though I know that's due do the fact that it has infected far more people). And they said that medication is getting properly distributed and it's a reasonably survivable disease.
That's what bugged me about it too, I could understand the hype around bird flu which in places like vietnam it killed nearly half the people infected with it.

eh, in places like the US the hype is mostly because they can sensationalize it without any real concern of backlash. fear sells the news, but people striking bakc because you painted them as a bad guy isn't profitable.

Skullbie
Apparently Obama has asked congress for a 1.5 billion$ intervention thing if this gets any bigger, goddamn that guy likes to spend :/

he's got a choice? the economic situation is so bad there's not any money left that can be set aside for these matters ahead of time. the bush administration “cleaned out the savings” funding its war on “terror” so the new guy's stuck having to make it very obvious that he's spending more cash rather than dipping into money he already had avalible
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Niccea at 8:15AM, May 2, 2009
(online)
Because there have been only 3 cases in my area, many schools are closing down.

They almost canceled the Honor's Banquet. They didn't but we were required to either wash are hands or allow the people on the banquet comittee to smear hand sanitizer on us. (by they way if hand sanitizer kills 99.99% of germs, what happens to the .01%?) They even refused to hand out the year books cause of the whole scare.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
fire1337 at 10:31AM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
Whats funny about the Swine Flu is in I AM LEGEND it said there was going to be a virus in 2009.

On a serious note, I don't think its offensive at all. It would be like America getting a virus, then giving it to Mexicans. If the Mexicans called it “American Influenza” I wouldn't be angry at all, because you would know that America made it, and Mexicans have the right to call it that.
Whats so bad about it?
I think I don't understand it, but yea, it should be more offensive to Jews than Mexicans. (IF IT IS OFFENSIVE AT ALL).

And did anyone forget about the bird flu?
CAN YOU SEE MY SIG!?!?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
kyupol at 11:20AM, May 2, 2009
(online)
Martial Law if its a Pandemic.

NOW UPDATING!!!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved