Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Symmetry
JustNoPoint at 7:07PM, July 18, 2008
(online)
I was wondering if anyone here may know of a good site that would have tasks for me to perform to improve on drawing symmetrically? I've seen some assignments in some books and such, and figured there may be useful sites with a collection of said assignments to aid me.

Any tips to help me practice would be great as well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
ozoneocean at 11:53PM, July 18, 2008
(online)
It shouldn't be a big issue. You on;y need true bilateral symmetry when you're drawing something front on. When you have any deviation from the straight on angle, variations are ok.
For getting symmetry right in front on images you have the marvellous tools of copy, paste, and flip or reflect on a PC. For paper drawings there's carbon paper, tracing paper, photocopiers…

if you want to be a masochist and draw it all long hand, try measuring it out a bit.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
JustNoPoint at 6:07PM, July 19, 2008
(online)
Yeah, I sometimes use the flip tool.

I researched a little more and some tests/tasks I can attempt to get better are to

place dots on paper, then on another sheet attempt to place them in the same location opposite. Flip the paper over and see how close I can got them. Repeat.

This site was particularly useful in all sorts of fields. (have to make an account to view the assignments but it is worth it)
http://www.drawspace.com/

It's area on symmetry had a good tip about finding out which way you draw things better.

Maybe you draw a circle starting from the left half but once you get to the right half it does not round off as well. Or maybe it's vice versa for the square.

I had new recent feedback about symmetry in my figures. I don't draw them straight on very often so I am assuming he meant in general it was pretty far off.

So now it needs to go to the top of my “fix this” list along with anatomy, drafting, and proportions =p

Maybe that site can help a few others practice certain methods.

Thanks for your response OzoneOcean ^^
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
JoeL_CQB at 10:56PM, July 19, 2008
(online)
JustNoPoint
I had new recent feedback about symmetry in my figures. I don't draw them straight on very often so I am assuming he meant in general it was pretty far off.

People aren't very symmetrical.

I took a look through your stuff, and I didn't find anything (symmetry wise) in your figures that threw me off.

If you want to work on that anyways, keep in mind if your people start getting too symmetrical, the more unnatural they look.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Frostflowers at 12:47AM, July 20, 2008
(online)
Chiming in to agree with JoeL here - people aren't symmetrical. If we were, both of my eyes would be the same size, for example - and they're not. And, the more perfectly symmetrical your drawn figures become, the closer to get to Uncanny Valley.

That said, if you pay no attention to symmetry, your figures will end up looking skewed to one side or the other. Liberal use to the flipping tool in whatever program you're using helps - that, and practise. The more you draw, the less skewed they become.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved