Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Tablet distortion
Metalbender92 at 5:30PM, March 24, 2009
(offline)
I've had a wacom tablet for a year and have been using it a lot. However, I still can't draw on it! I have a decent amount of control over were my pen goes, but everything becomes distorted over to the left. My arm is really “cramped” whenever I draw. I don't think practice is going to fix this. Any settings I should change? Any tips on how to draw more comfortably?
A sketch comic filled with little comedic bundles!
The Meekler Files
Where every day is a hiatus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
lba at 7:16PM, March 24, 2009
(online)
That can happen if you have a standard format tablet and a wide screen monitor. If that's the case, you should be able to go into the tablet settings and set it to a widescreen format. That should fix your problem.

If that doesn't work though, I'm not sure what would do it. It seems to depend on what kind of tablet and monitor you have.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
mattchee at 10:57PM, March 25, 2009
(online)
It sounds more like he's describing a physical problem then a hardware/software issue.

I would just experiment with some variation. Move your hand, move the tablet, move where the document is on screen. See what feels good. Probably a good thing would also to have software that allows you to rotate the image. A lot of folks, I'm not saying you, but there;s a lot of folks who have the idea that they have to draw on a page facing the right way! But your hand naturally will make certain curves, lines, motions in a certain directions better than others, and you need to rotate your work accordingly.

To let you know how far reaching this idea is… I was in art school, in a painting class, and I CONSTANTLY flipped my painting around. Students would walk around the room looking at what people were doing and number of students came up behind me while my painting was upside down and started asking me what it “meant”! “What kind of statement are you trying to make with this upside down imagery” I was like "it just easier for me to paint this part this way.

I kinda went off topic there (as I usually do) but the point is, people make stuff harder for themselves than they need to, so if that;s the case… just moves stuff around try stuff differently than normal, and you might find something that works for you.

If it IS as software/hardware issue… hahah sorry for writing so much and go with Iba's post. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
ozoneocean at 3:27AM, March 26, 2009
(online)
I hear ya Mattchee! I always flip my art around right to left. I started doing that before I even went digital! Looking at it in mirrors, using carbon paper, photocopiers, tracing back the front, scanning it flipping it digitally and then printing it out again…

But his problem could be so many different hardware issues… Bigger tablets will also make things a little easier. A good big size would be a 9x12. Any bigger than that and you're just being a bit silly… I know because most of mine have been and are :)

Cramping can just be as simple as the positioning of your arm and the tablet itself. Getting into the perfect ergonomic positioning for yourself and your tablet is hard, even when you use a Cintiq like I do now, it's never perfect. Even the sitting position is a HUGE issue. Just keep on trying to experiment with those aspects I'd say until you find what's right for you.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
NickGuy at 12:11AM, March 29, 2009
(online)
stop drawing with your wrist. draw with your arm.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved