Media Megaforum

Talking Animal Movies Are Driving Me Insane!
ccs1989 at 1:07PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15501053/

This is an interesting article, which criticizes all the animated film fluff coming out today with talking animals, tired lessons and morals, etc. It brings up some good points, even if the guy who wrote it doesn't know that Miyazaki retired.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Aurora Moon at 2:00PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
yeah, I would have to argee with the dude. if they're gonna use the same plot, at least use different morals of the story or something..

and if they couldn't get Miyazaki to get out of reirement, they could at least ask studio Gibli to work for them. ^_^
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Eggbert at 3:32PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
Miyazaki retired? Is Ghibli still making movies?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
isukun at 4:01PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
Yes, Ghibli still makes movies. They have several movies that aren't written or directed by Miyazaki. They just released a new film during the summer based on the Earthsea novels. It was directed by Miyazaki's son. I believe they have two more movies currently in the works directed by other people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
subcultured at 5:39PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
i want more shrek
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Jillers at 6:34PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
In Cars defense, it wasn't about animals learning a lesson…

I also like it…

Besides the fact that I do mostly agree with him, he seems to think that he's the target audience of these movies - and, let's face it, anyone over 12 isn't the target audience of an animated anthropomorphic somehting or other movie.

Kids see these movies because it's a talking horse, and it's bright, and they don't know the difference between quality and quantity yet. Parents take them because they don't want to deal with little Mary screaming about how all her friends are going to see some computer animated mouse get flushed down the toilet and she'll be the only one that won't. Studios hire famous names to get more asses in the seats, because even if it's not big deal to most of us, Hugh Jackan being a voice in a movie is a big deal to some fan out there. And Hollywood makes more of these things because people are obviously going to see them, and they don't invest money in new and creative ideas because they don't want to take a risk and possibly loose the money.
They believe in inveting in what's “tried and true.”

I mean, I'm not just crticisizng Hollywood here - anyone from NYC with a hand on the pulse of the Broadway scene (as I am) will know that that's the case here too - no new Broadway shows are really being released - this season, with few exceptions, the only musicals that have been and are being released are based on movies (High Fidelity, The Wedding Singer last season), based on a Disney movie (Tarzan), or are revivals (A Chorus Line and Les Miserables).
Oh I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting, but overall, very unspectacular.

But, these things will change, or the industry wil go out of business. Simple as that really.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
AQua_ng at 11:47AM, Nov. 9, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15501053/

This is an interesting article, which criticizes all the animated film fluff coming out today with talking animals, tired lessons and morals, etc. It brings up some good points, even if the guy who wrote it doesn't know that Miyazaki retired.

Think of it this way. We may be tired of seeing animated film after film, but the young ‘uns have only touched the surface. Soon they’ll get tired whilst a new generation of kids find animation. It's a circle. Or at least an oval.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
ozoneocean at 12:14PM, Nov. 9, 2006
(online)
Hmmm… It was sort of like this:
“blah, blah, blah, BLAH, rant, rant, things-were-better-in-the-old-days, rant, today's-kids-are-spoilt-rotton, rant, blah, blah, Hollywood-is dumb, blah…”

We all like to agree with some or all of those sentiments from time to time, but he was really just spouting off there, and I can't agree with his points in that rambling stream of reaction.

I think Aqua and Jillers have great responses there.
As for creative ideas, well Ghibli always seems to produce quite a variety of interesting things (Japan always seems a bit more adventurous than the US), while Hollywood and Disney have never really been courageous in the idea's area. -even back in the good old days: Snow White was a pretty old fave already before it got turned into a cartoon…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Comicmasta at 3:42PM, Nov. 9, 2006
(offline)
Yeah uh talking animal movies, no i am not gonna stand for another one unless it involves anal probes and a door hiding the secret strand of Jesus's Beard
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
Rich at 9:16PM, Nov. 9, 2006
(online)
I don't give shit either way. Movies are plummeting in quality at an exponentially increasing rate as the years go by. Only truly brilliant films like the LOTR Trilogy, Borat, SOAP, and POTC seem to stick out any more. Everything else is special effect overloads, or CG animated kids movies.

On a small side note, Pixar's movies are STILL brilliant regardless of your age. The rest of the CG shit can eat it as far as I'm concerned, but you don't fuck with Pixar. Shrek 1 and 2 were probably the only non Pixar CG films that were good. All the rest totally bite.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
subcultured at 6:55AM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
i miss the old disney animation with the line art…3dmation seems cold and sterile to me.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
ccs1989 at 7:32AM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
Yeah, 3D is fluid but it doesn't have that “zip” to it.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Tantz Aerine at 2:29PM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
It is an interesting article, but there's so much anger in there that the author cancels the validity of what he is saying, I think. I had to consciously tune out the rant, like Ozoneocean said, and even after that, I think that the focus was off. It's not animals being athropomorphic, the way he puts it, but that the plots are painfully identical. However, couldn't you say that for other categories, or even genres of movies? I mean, every romantic comedy movie spins more or less the same yarn (boy meets girl, boy and girl make out, boy and girl fall out/break up, boy and girl make up, boy and girl marry), but he did not seem to be bothered about it.

I think he needs to tone down the flamboyance of his contempt as well… ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Rich at 10:04PM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
I agree. It's mainly the redundant plots that are annoying more than the animals. Sure, all those CG movies look about the same, but if they were interesting, I could probably care less.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
jalford at 11:07PM, Nov. 13, 2006
(online)
I'm a furry fan, and even I'm SICK of all the freaking talking anime CGI flicks Hollywood has been bulldozing up our asses for the last couple of years. Disney can't even make a decent one. Chicken Little ripped off character designs from Looney Tunes, and The Wild was just Madagascar with better graphics. I might rent Flushed Away when it comes on DVD, but I really hate the fact that Aardman went all digital.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
beastmaster at 1:25PM, Nov. 14, 2006
(offline)
They have become utterly formulaic. It is either “Be all you can be” ( Robots, Cars) or “civilization versus Nature” (Madagascar, Wildlife, Over the Hedge, Ant Bully, Open Season)
The last really original CG movie was The Incredibles. I am anxiously waiting for Delgo and The Power of the Dark Crystal to see something different. And even Delgo seems to fall into the “Be all you can be” formula, but at least it has no talking animals.
And I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Kung FU Panda.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved