Debate and Discussion

Technology
Aussie_kid at 9:23PM, Nov. 13, 2006
(online)
As many of us are aware, 40 years ago people used to think that by now we'd be living on the moon and such, with robots as our slaves and the like.

However, we do have things that not even they could have imagined. Music players with over 100 songs loaded onto them, video games with intelligent AI. Movies with special effects that almost look real.

Here's my question. Imagine that all the work, effort and time put into the entertainment sector had instead been used for other matters, how close would we be to the future imagined by our parents and grandparents all those years ago?
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Rich at 9:32PM, Nov. 13, 2006
(online)
As long as I can throw away this fleshy body for a robotic one someday, I'll be happy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Tantz Aerine at 12:29AM, Nov. 14, 2006
(online)
That is a great, great ‘what if’ question… and one leading into depression really. The point is, if it ever WOULD be put in other matters aside technology- which would have been deemed less lucrative perhaps, or even threatening to other lucrative situations. After all, our grantparents weren't entirely immune to corruption and straying from a more idyllic path, were they? ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
lothar at 1:28PM, Nov. 16, 2006
(online)
Aussie_kid
However, we do have things that not even they could have imagined. Music players with over 100 songs loaded onto them, video games with intelligent AI. Movies with special effects that almost look real.

is this what we have traded the universe for ?

and about the enegry of the entertainment industry, think what could have been acomplished with the amount of energy that has gone into military development , prolly 1000X more than the entertainment industry. we would have cities on Jupiter by now ! and not just robot “slaves” we would be robots !!

Saddly technology is a slave to economy, things dont just get invented because they look Cool ! they need to have some real life aplication that is better than the current alternative , or else the people with the money are not guna back it, columbus didn't just go up to the queen and say how it would be badass if they could sail over to india going the wrong way, he had to load up the idea with a lot of treasure talk .
its the same with robots and the moon
nobodies ever guna build robots to be slaves when they have real Human slaves here on earth in third world countries who will work for a couple of dollars a day making your clothes !
and the moon is never guna have any cities unless they discover some resource lacking on earth , something that give one nation an insane advantage over another .

as for the origianl question , i dont think we would be any closer to that dream of our grandmas. it was science-fantasy .

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Glarg at 7:07AM, Nov. 19, 2006
(offline)
Heres an Idea,

Stop with the nuclear testing and give NASA their fundings back!
Also use some of the money to feed starving children and have their contry combine with USA, then have Mexico and USA combind, then Canada, Then south america, BAH make the whole world combined and share the Intelect of one another, Go off into space, find some great energy source, use it to build robots, make robot slaves to fight wars for you and call it “ROBOT WARS” or “BATTLE BOTS!” starring an old out of work wresler who went back to the WE. And finally have your civilaztion conquered by the very things that helped you!

THAT is how technology will advance!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
ccs1989 at 8:59AM, Nov. 19, 2006
(online)
I dunno, as much as it would be cool to live on the moon and things like that, the entertainment biz is more profitable because people want it. And big moon-projects and unpredictable and would cost a lot (so more taxes).

Heck, when you have a Nintendo DS who needs the moon?
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Terminal at 9:52AM, Nov. 19, 2006
(online)
It's impossible to realize the future that everyone envisioned in the past. It's not that we don't have the technology, it's just that it would be a massive task to change.

If I were to stand here, look at Los Angeles in 2006, then freeze myself, come back 50 years into the future. 2056, Los Angeles would look the same. Maybe somethings would be different, new bulidings, new freeways, new something. Overall, it would look the same.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
Glarg at 10:33AM, Nov. 19, 2006
(offline)
Terminal
It's impossible to realize the future that everyone envisioned in the past. It's not that we don't have the technology, it's just that it would be a massive task to change.

If I were to stand here, look at Los Angeles in 2006, then freeze myself, come back 50 years into the future. 2056, Los Angeles would look the same. Maybe somethings would be different, new bulidings, new freeways, new something. Overall, it would look the same.
Except there would be kids on roller scates that have magnets in them causing the skates to float.

Yes i read somewhere this invention is possible in 2010, Hell its possible now!
Glarg at 10:39AM, Nov. 19, 2006
(offline)
Rich
As long as I can throw away this fleshy body for a robotic one someday, I'll be happy.
With the steady invansement in robotics that may be possible, Scientists are already developing nanobots, an they can use those robots to make even smaller ones, ones the size of CELLS!!!Which means they may be able to replace each skin cell with tiny nanobionic Robot cells..Damn i wanna be a robot -_-…HEY maybe when i get too old i'll have my brain taken out, put into a robot, and have wires conencted to each part of my brain so that i can actually think, see, taste, THE WORKS!

HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT!!?!?!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved