Media Megaforum

Teen Titans is over
Hawk at 6:03PM, Jan. 16, 2006
(online)
Did anyone keep up on Teen Titans? I felt like it was one of the few good cartoons on the Cartoon Network.

Well, it ended today, with its final episode playing quietly in the daytime. The episode it followed was a very climactic and exciting one. Not this one. The last episode of Teen Titans opened up a huge can of worms and left them there to wiggle around without closure.

I was a bit sad to see it end like this, especially when they could have quit after the episode before and left on a very high note. But I guess when Cartoon Network tells you to quit, it doesn't matter how much you've still got left on the table. Your show is done.

Anybody else see the last episode?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
SpANG at 6:45PM, Jan. 16, 2006
(online)
Hawk
Well, it ended today, with its final episode playing quietly in the daytime. The episode it followed was a very climactic and exciting one. Not this one. The last episode of Teen Titans opened up a huge can of worms and left them there to wiggle around without closure.

Hmm. sounds like a movie set up to me. :wink:

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
Ian Jay at 6:45PM, Jan. 16, 2006
(offline)
No. But can I say that I was kind of annoyed by Teen Titans, and that I am glad to see it go? Can I say that I thought that it was just another title in a slew of cartoons created by CN to pander to younger viewers and keep trendy while ignoring the principles the network was founded on, i.e. making creative and interesting cartoons? Can I spit on its coffin and dance on its grave?

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Hawk at 6:51PM, Jan. 16, 2006
(online)
Ian Jay
No. But can I say that I was kind of annoyed by Teen Titans, and that I am glad to see it go? Can I say that I thought that it was just another title in a slew of cartoons created by CN to pander to younger viewers and keep trendy while ignoring the principles the network was founded on, i.e. making creative and interesting cartoons? Can I spit on its coffin and dance on its grave?

~IJ

Yeah, you can. Freedom of speech, and everything.
Black_Kitty at 7:38PM, Jan. 16, 2006
(online)
What really bothers me is that I've heard about Teen Titans ending months back but yet the only channel that plays it here is YTV and they keep replaying the same damn episodes. Either that or whenever I watch, I happen to catch the same ones again and again.

Teen Titans is one of those guilty pleasures of mine. I don't like too much how they attempt to incorporate anime icons and expressions into it but it was always fun to watch for me.

.: Black Kitty :.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
jalford at 1:33AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Cartoon Network officially send there would be no 6th season of the show. But that would bring the completed run to 65 episodes. The weird thing is it did end on a cliffhanger. Terra's back(probably), Slade still has things planned, and there's a new elemental monster for them to confront. So, maybe there's no plans to currently continue it. But then again, it might get picked up on Kids WB, even though they stopped their weekday programming around last week.

On that note, Cartoon Network is bringing back Justice League Unlimited around next month. Whether or not this'll be the last season is also up in the air. I read in the recent Wizard that there's going to be more Krypto episodes, plus a possible new Superman series, and a Legion Of Super Heroes show as well.

I wouldn't mind it if CN showed the new “The Batman” series since they hardly ever show it on WB. The coolest would be a Supergirl animated series with occasional cameos by Batgirl, Stargirl, Wonder Girl, and Mary Marvel.

But it was really cool how for the last few episodes that they dug deep into the Titans' history. Characters like Psimon and Herald were from back in the old school days. Cheshire got a great makeover as the kitsune ninja. I wished they had made the connection of Jericho as Slade's(Deathroke)son. Plus, Kid Flash FINALLY shows up! But whether he was Wally West or Bart(Impulse)Allen, they didn't say.

The main letdown was that there was NO DONNA TROY! Damn, that sucked! She's from both of the original teams of Titans, and could hardly even get a cameo.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Hawk at 2:08AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
jalford
Cartoon Network officially send there would be no 6th season of the show. But that would bring the completed run to 65 episodes. The weird thing is it did end on a cliffhanger. Terra's back(probably), Slade still has things planned, and there's a new elemental monster for them to confront. So, maybe there's no plans to currently continue it. But then again, it might get picked up on Kids WB, even though they stopped their weekday programming around last week.

There's supposedly a direct-to-DVD movie in the works called “Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo”. But I can't imagine a 90-minute adventure in Tokyo giving closure to all the problems they created just in the last episode. But yeah, it'd be nice for another network to pick them up and keep going. If the last episode wasn't the last episode, I'm sure it would lead to a great season.

jalford
On that note, Cartoon Network is bringing back Justice League Unlimited around next month. Whether or not this'll be the last season is also up in the air. I read in the recent Wizard that there's going to be more Krypto episodes, plus a possible new Superman series, and a Legion Of Super Heroes show as well. I wouldn't mind it if CN showed the new “The Batman” series since they hardly ever show it on WB.

Krypto's the dumbest comic-based cartoon I've EVER seen. It would unfortunately not be an adequate replace ment for the Titans.

I actually heard that part of the reason CN axed Teen Titans was to make more of a presence for The Batman. I guess they see it as a big potential money-maker since we're sure to see a couple more Batman films. I'll admit that art style aside, the ONE episode of The Batman I've seen was pretty decent. But I've heard a lot of discontent about the show. I wonder if that's just because it's not the purely excellent “Batman the Animated Series” we had before.

jalford
But it was really cool how for the last few episodes that they dug deep into the Titans' history. Characters like Psimon and Herald were from back in the old school days. Cheshire got a great makeover as the kitsune ninja. I wished they had made the connection of Jericho as Slade's(Deathroke)son. Plus, Kid Flash FINALLY shows up! But whether he was Wally West or Bart(Impulse)Allen, they didn't say.

Yeah, this whole last season was one killer season. It's such a pity to see it go, having so much potential. But I'll hold out for that DVD movie (like I'm doing for Futurama) and just remember that there's a little more left for me in the future.
jalford at 2:18AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Teen Titans is a DC Comics property. DC Comics is owned by Warner Bros. Warner Bros. owns about most of Cartoon Network, you'd be surpised that they'd do that to their own property. You'd think they'd axe some of the Canadian crap like Ed, Edd, & Eddy.

Also, the new Ben 10 series is animated by the same team that does Teen Titans. Although the premise for the series seems loosely based on the old DC Comics series “Dial H For Hero”.
isukun at 8:58AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Can I say that I thought that it was just another title in a slew of cartoons created by CN to pander to younger viewers and keep trendy while ignoring the principles the network was founded on, i.e. making creative and interesting cartoons?

When Cartoon Network was founded, it had no original programming, so I seriously doubt it was founded on the principle of making creative and interesting cartoons. It started out being more like what Boomerang is now.

I wouldn't mind it if CN showed the new “The Batman” series since they hardly ever show it on WB.

Ugh. If they finally took that crap off the air, all the better. “The Batman” isn't even a shadow of what the original series was. Being from the animators who brought us Jackie Chan Adventures, you can tell the emphasis is more on action than any story elements. Justice League tries a similar approach, but for some reason it doesn't seem as stupid when they do it.

With Teen Titans, there is no guarantee we won't see more. Cartoon Network has been known to make new episodes of series when there's demand. Plus, the sixth season was already in production when the series got cancelled. It wouldn't be hard to dig it up again if there was need to do so.

I'll never really understand the decisions these companies make these days. Nick and Disney are the same way. As soon as they have a really popular franchise, they cancel it.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ccs1989 at 12:44PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Hmmm….I didn't think it would die off so fast, especially since it SEEMED pretty popular. There were a few cool character designs but overall I wasn't too impressed with the show. A few good episodes out of the ones that I saw, but it was no Batman Beyond.

Now Batman Beyond was a series that should have gone on longer but was ended. Thank God for Return of the Joker. Still I could have done with more episodes of it. Same goes for Batman The Animated Series.

Teen Titans was always a mediocre series in my book. So I'm not going to go crazy over it's ending.

EDIT- They're bringing back JLU? Score!
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
jalford at 1:57PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Although, each season of Justice League ended with a possible last episode. The season finale to last season where the showed that Batman Beyond was really Bruce Wayne's offspring was a finale on its own. And even though the Batman Beyond series didn't have a for real final episode, The Return Of The Joker acted as a sort of series finale. Even the Mystery Of The Batwoman made-for-video movie was sort of a finale to the original Batman animated series. You'd think they'd do something for Teen Titans after that, especially since it made more revenue then most of the previous DC animated shows combined.
ccs1989 at 2:28PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Wait wait wait…what do you mean Batman Beyond was Bruce Wayne's offspring? What does that mean?

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Ian Jay at 2:49PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(offline)
It means that Batman got it on at some point in his career. Such is the life of a billionaire playboy. Still, there were probably more weighty portents in the show… you know, legacy and all that…

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
jalford at 2:50PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
In last season's JLU finale, they shot forward to sometime in the future were a now adult Terry is still Batman and part of the new Justice League Beyond. But he finds out from a DNA test that he has some of Bruce's genetic code in him. Terry goes to see Amanda Waller who is now in hiding somewhere, and she tells him that before he was born she had some of Bruce's DNA put into him while his mother was pregnant with him in the hopes of making a new Batman. Ironically, Amanda had also hired The Phantasm(Bruce's old lover)to snuff out Terry's parents when he was just a boy so he would grow up with the same sense of loss that Bruce did that would motivate him to become Batman.
ccs1989 at 3:44PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
What? WHAT?!

That totally makes no sense in the BB storyline. I mean really, Terry's mom was still alive. He had a brother. His Dad died from some weird disease that they were tampering with. How does any of this make sense within this convoluted plot?

Oy vey…bring me back the simple days of Batman The Animated Series where each episode was one contained story and there was possibly a 2 parter if you were lucky.

Can you explain to me how this is supposed to work? It sounds to me like pure over-egzaggeration of plot into some conspiracy theory. It almost ruins BB for me…

Mazoo at 5:32PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(offline)
jalford
In last season's JLU finale, they shot forward to sometime in the future were a now adult Terry is still Batman and part of the new Justice League Beyond. But he finds out from a DNA test that he has some of Bruce's genetic code in him. Terry goes to see Amanda Waller who is now in hiding somewhere, and she tells him that before he was born she had some of Bruce's DNA put into him while his mother was pregnant with him in the hopes of making a new Batman. Ironically, Amanda had also hired The Phantasm(Bruce's old lover)to snuff out Terry's parents when he was just a boy so he would grow up with the same sense of loss that Bruce did that would motivate him to become Batman.

That was a good episode. I liked Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited, and I think it was a pretty good tie into both of the stories. I miss BB, I wish they would show it again.

ccs1989
That totally makes no sense in the BB storyline. I mean really, Terry's mom was still alive. He had a brother. His Dad died from some weird disease that they were tampering with. How does any of this make sense within this convoluted plot?

Can you explain to me how this is supposed to work? It sounds to me like pure over-egzaggeration of plot into some conspiracy theory. It almost ruins BB for me…

Alright, in that episode Terry pretty much figures out “his life is a lie” type thing. Yes, his mom and brother are still alive, but his father was killed by The Phantasm, but I suppose the doctors told his family that it was by a disease, or did his Mom know? I can't remember, it's been a long time since I last saw that episode.

Basically, Terry's life was messed up on purpose so he would become the new Batman. He was “chosen” to become Batman before he was born or something to that effect. It still corresponds to the BB storyline, but plays off of it a bit.

ccs1989
Oy vey…bring me back the simple days of Batman The Animated Series where each episode was one contained story and there was possibly a 2 parter if you were lucky

Ah, sweet nostalgia. Those were the good ol' days…

Anyway, back on topic. I have mixed feelings of TT. A few of their episodes were all right, but otherwise it was a pretty cheesy and cliche show, conformed to be for younger veiwers. It didn't feel… as mature as I think it could've been.

ccs1989
Hmmm….I didn't think it would die off so fast, especially since it SEEMED pretty popular.

I agree. They certainly were franchising it enough, but that shows how unsuccessful the show really was…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Black_Kitty at 7:01PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Mazoo
Alright, in that episode Terry pretty much figures out “his life is a lie” type thing. Yes, his mom and brother are still alive, but his father was killed by The Phantasm, but I suppose the doctors told his family that it was by a disease, or did his Mom know? I can't remember, it's been a long time since I last saw that episode.

Uh, that wasn't how I remembered it. ^^;;;
The Phantasm never killed either of the parents. At the last minute, The Phantasm couldn't and didn't do the ugly deed. Something about how this wouldn't be how Batman would want it or how you can't try to recreate someone great by inflicting tragedy. Something along that lines.

Regardless, Terry's parents were never murdered but they later divorced. Amanda Waller then says that Terry doesn't really have Bruce Wayne's brilliance but he has his heart.

.: Black Kitty :.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
spambot at 7:11PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(offline)
From the few episodes I saw of TT, it felt very much like they were trying to hard to be popular. Everything about the show screamed “I'm hip. I'm with it! LOOK AT ME!”
Plus Tim Drake will never become “the new Nightwing”. It made me wonder if the writers had actually read any comics.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
jalford at 10:49PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
On Batman Beyond, Terry's father was alive at the beginning of the series, then Blight arranged his death. That's what motivated Terry to become Batman, although he had already found the Batcave prior to that.

As for Teen Titans, who was Robin on the show was always kinda shakey. Before the TT show even premiered, there was an episode of Static Shock where Static meets up with Batman for the 2nd or 3rd time, and he asks him “Where's Robin?”(this was the Tim Drake one that he met previously), and Batman replied “He's with the Titans.” That means that as far as the regular DC animated universe was concerned, Tim Drake was Robin then and had joined with the Titans. Dick Grayson had already become Nightwing long before that, although they never gave any kind of a progress report on him since the The New Batman Adventures ended, not even in the Batman Beyond future. The only other time they showed him was in an alternative timeline version of him as part of Batman's resistance movement against Vandal Savage on an episode of Justice League. Of course on the actual TT series, they hinted alot of times that it was actually Dick who was Robin. His parallel universe doppelganger's name was “Dick Grayson” spelled backwards, there was the time Raven looked into Robin's mind when he was infected by Slade's hallucinagen and saw the dead Flying Graysons, plus his future version becoming Nightwing too. But if this is Dick, then he's about 15 or 16 here, when in the regular DC animated universe he's at least about 21.
spambot at 9:48AM, Jan. 18, 2006
(offline)
Wow. That makes me like the show even less.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Thevampire_kain01 at 10:42AM, Jan. 18, 2006
(offline)
Come on! all this over a cartoon? i mean please. they'll still show reruns probibly, maby not, but still it'll come back………eventully…….i think…….they said the same thing about the show Freinds (Hate it HATE IT! :x ) and there still on……so don't worry your little heads off.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
ccs1989 at 12:22PM, Jan. 18, 2006
(online)
Black Kitty
The Phantasm never killed either of the parents. At the last minute, The Phantasm couldn't and didn't do the ugly deed. Something about how this wouldn't be how Batman would want it or how you can't try to recreate someone great by inflicting tragedy. Something along that lines.

Regardless, Terry's parents were never murdered but they later divorced. Amanda Waller then says that Terry doesn't really have Bruce Wayne's brilliance but he has his heart.

That makes more sense, although I still think it was unncessessary.

Damn, I really wish they had done something about showing what happened to Nightwing. In Return of the Joker, Barbra tells Terry to “Look up Nightwing some day. He's got stories!” And they never elaborated on that or anything. Too bad really since Grayson was such a big part of the original Batman Animated Series and the batman legacy overall.

jalford at 12:48PM, Jan. 18, 2006
(online)
They never even put Robin the new The Batman series. They just went straight to having Batgirl thrown in there. Makes you wonder if Bruce isn't into jailbait. (Don't even get me started on that whole Carrie Kelley/Dark Knight Returns thing!)
ccs1989 at 12:50PM, Jan. 18, 2006
(online)
>_O;;

I never watched more than 5 minutes of ‘The Batman’ before turning it off in disgust.

Mazoo at 3:01PM, Jan. 18, 2006
(offline)
Black Kitty
Mazoo

Ah, I must be thinking of something else then. Oops. :oops:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
jalford at 12:28AM, Jan. 19, 2006
(online)
Weird thing about Robin in the comics now is during the whole “One Year Later” storyline which picks up a year after Infinite Crisis, Robin(Tim Drake)has a new costume which resembles the one Tim Drake wore on the Batman animates series. The one that's all red, black, and gold. No green.

Also, on a sad note, both Pantha and Wildebeest got killed in the latest issue of Infinite Crisis that came out this week by Superboy Prime. It took most of the Teen Titans, the Justice Society, and all the Flashes just to kick his ass.
Thevampire_kain01 at 7:26AM, Jan. 19, 2006
(offline)
well all im saying is the words “Big Woop” and Woopdydo“ its not like the end of the world or anything, yet. And i can't wait for that and i know when the world will end, just ask and i'll tell and use the magic word and it isn't ”please" niether. can you guess what the word is? :twisted:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
ccs1989 at 8:47AM, Jan. 21, 2006
(online)
Well, they're different shows, so I say that we chalk it up to one of comic's greatest cliche's; they happen in different dimensions.

Yep. All of these shows, although trying to ‘exist in the same universe’ do not keep continuity enough to really exist in the same, so it's got to be alternate universes or something.

Also to anyone who hasn't, the uncut Return of the Joker DVD has commentary on the whole movie…and is only $7 on Amazon. BUY IT.

ccs1989 at 10:40AM, Jan. 21, 2006
(online)
I liked the first season of Static Shock, but it just wasn't all that good in later seasons. Too kiddy.

I also liked the first season of Jackie Chan Adventures, though. Mostly the fact that in the first episode he wasn't a pansy. And the little girl didn't speak until the end of the episode. I think they should have kept it that way.

Anyway, look what happened to the JCA team now; they're off working on that horrible “The Batman” series. :smt095

jalford at 1:15PM, Jan. 22, 2006
(online)
But then there's that episode where Batman, GL, and WW head to the Batman Beyond future and find out what's left of the JL, including an older Static. Plus the episode of Static Shock where modern day-Static went forward in time to the future and met Terry McGuniess/Batman, and found out he would be a member of the Justice League. According to one of the later teamups with Batman, Tim Drake/Robin had already joined the Titans. This happened before the end of the original JL series. Plus, Dick Greyson's alterate timeline self show up in The Savage Time 3-parter, and he's around his early 20s, where as the Teen Titans Robin isn't much older than 16.

Also, the animated series version of Cyborg technically doesn't have an outfit. HE'S NAKED!!!!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved