Terminator Salvation
lefarce at 3:12PM, May 22, 2009
(offline)
Worse than T3: Rise of the Machines.

That is all.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Product Placement at 3:25PM, May 22, 2009
(online)
That's a pretty bold claim. I was already not so impressed by T3.

I've been seeing plenty of pretty harsh reviews about this film though so I guess you know what you're talking about.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
lefarce at 3:30PM, May 22, 2009
(offline)
How can I put this… It's not really a Terminator movie. It's like, yeah sure there are killer robots but… there is nothing past that. It's dull. It's a dull movie.

Also Helena Carter is the worst actress possibly ever. And woop, there she is, in Terminator.

It's like if you've just woken up, and you're going about your day, and everything is looking bright and wonderful. Lets say maybe you met a woman the day before at the coffee bar, and you're going to go see a movie, or spend some time in the park. And you're slipping your foot into your shoe, and sure enough in the deep dark corner of your sneakers is the ugliest damn cockroach you've ever seen.

Helena Carter is that cockroach. She's that ugly little thing that's butt her way in where she doesnt belong and ruins the rest of your day.

EDIT:

Another thing was Bale. I'm almost sold on the idea that he's forgotton how to act. All he does anymore is stand around looking shocked while speaking in a gruff tone that makes it next to impossible to understand what he's saying.

Bale played Batman playing John, in T4. Love Batman, love Terminator, like a lot of Bale's work, but this was just terrible. Flat, boring, terrible.

Hawk at 3:43PM, May 22, 2009
(online)
I'll say Terminator Salvation is not great, but I won't say it's worse than T3. Many things about T3 didn't sit right with me. Terminator Salvation was predictable, which is hard not to be since it was half-written by the films before it and constrained to set events. Yes, some of the acting was bad. But for some reason I was able to keep watching through it and at least feel a little entertained.

I can sure think of plenty of stuff I'd change, though.

It felt like The Matrix mixed with War of the Worlds, and coated with a Michael Bay flavor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
PIT_FACE at 12:51PM, May 24, 2009
(online)
i liked it. i've been wanting to see this fuckin war since i was 10 and i was pretty happy with it. hell, i was entertained.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
patrickdevine at 1:24PM, May 24, 2009
(online)
Worse than T3? OK I pretty much have to see it now!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Product Placement at 4:41PM, May 24, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
i liked it. i've been wanting to see this fuckin war since i was 10 and i was pretty happy with it. hell, i was entertained.
Ok, I'll admit. Whenever I saw one of those “flashbacks” to the world of the future in the old movies and they went back to the present, I tended to say “No! Go back! Go back to the carnage!”

But that was because I was a kid. Not a mature, responsible adult like today.

.>
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lefarce at 6:15PM, May 24, 2009
(offline)
I just finished rewatching T3 while 4 was still fresh in my mind to see if my accusation holds water.

T3 > TS

Hey while I'm at it, let me post McG's hopes and dreams for the fifth film:

Someone
McG added the fifth film “is likely to be” about Connor himself timetravelling to 2011 to galvanize the world's forces against a Skynet attack, which would explore a “survivalist creature in our world doing his best to bring the world up to speed on an impending doom… and one could argue he meets his mother. I strongly suspect Linda Hamilton to be the star of the next film.” McG also said the original story they had in mind for the T-1000 would satirize the world's “obsession” with youth and aging, and also described having “hunter killers and transports and harvesters and everything arriving in our time and Connor fighting back with conventional military warfare.” Connor's child, whom Kate is pregnant with in Salvation, will also be important. McG has stated that they've “arced out a story that includes that child and its fate and what it becomes in this world of man versus machine.” McG has also mentioned that the film would show "the genesis of Marcus."

I've never read a proposed plot that sounded like more of a clusterfuck of chaos and wank than this. It's like a poorly written fanfiction written by a teenage girl on deviantart.

Also I dont know if this article is true, but some of it makes sense. It at least explains why Connor was completely worthless in TS and why Marcus had much more screen time. Although I had heard about the “face transplant” ending on SA and a few other sites about a year ago, so this has some degree of crediability.

Exzachly at 5:56AM, May 25, 2009
(online)
With Brother's Bloom coming out this week and UP and Drag me to hell coming out next, I doubt I'll see this until it comes to video.

lefarce
Another thing was Bale. I'm almost sold on the idea that he's forgotton how to act.

Bale could act before? I mean, sure he's been cast in some good movies, but I've never seen him in a role that demanded any range.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ParkerFarker at 11:06AM, May 25, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE

true, but I was a little disappointed in the carnage. It should have stuck to this more(for the carnage skip to 4:02), it portrayed the brutality of this war whereas T4 did not. It felt too much like a zombie movie, which, I like zombies, but not when they replace mad cool carnage.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Product Placement at 1:19PM, May 25, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
this
Watching those three intro clips together was fun. They should have just put them together and slapped terminator 4 on it. Everyone would have been happy.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
mlai at 5:12PM, May 25, 2009
(online)
I like the original script idea that John Connor dies and the cyborg protagonist replaces him as the resistance shadow leader. It's said that the 2 things that got it axed was (1)Bale trying to be a writer and (2)negative fan net reaction.

#1 would have been salvageable as long as the writer/director stuck to their guns and have Bale die at the end anyways. Bale giving John Connor more screen time had the beneficial side effect of making his death at the end more emotional.

I don't understand #2. Characters were never sacred in the Terminator universe. It would have been fine for John to die in the future as long as the story is good.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
fern at 9:16PM, May 25, 2009
(online)
It's The Bryce Dallas Howard Theory.

She's never been in a good film:

2004 - The Village
2006 - Lady in the Water
2007 - Spider-Man 3
2009 - Terminator Salvation
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
JoeL_CQB at 10:09PM, May 25, 2009
(online)
lack of carnage? what!? i feel less inclined to see the movie.

i personally don't know anything about the terminator universe beyond the first 3 movies. I felt that they should have stopped at 2.

another thing that was on my mind while watching the commercials, is how all the machines are sleek and all, and they you have the t-800's that are all skeleton looking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Hakoshen at 1:43PM, May 26, 2009
(offline)
One thing you ought to consider, there were a lot of casting and plot changes to the movie before it could fully come out.

Mlai already said it, but;
John Connor was supposed to die in this movie. The movie was supposed to be more about the cyborg character, but test audiences literally walked out apparently, resulting in Connor getting a lot more screen time when he was supposed to be more of the “voice on the radio” bit that he was in the first part of the movie up until his death.

This is what happens when you let the actors try to control the movie.

Still, I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, all things considered, so if you like the terminator timeline, then go see it. My favorite though, will always remain Terminator 2.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
lefarce at 4:51PM, May 26, 2009
(offline)
Bale can (or at least was a few years back) a really great actor. However, he should never EVER be allowed to put any creative input into a film again. Just because you can speak the lines on the script with the right degree of emotion =/= make you creative or worth listening to.

Bekefel at 8:07PM, May 26, 2009
(offline)
I pretty much knew it would be awful when they announced it. Go figure.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
patrickdevine at 8:48PM, May 26, 2009
(online)
OK, saw it last night. It was about what I thought it'd be. Not great but I didn't hate it. Not to say that it didn't have it's share of awful writing.
So Blair Williams thinks that it's a good idea to try to bargain with some sketchy waste-lander types, tells Marcus to just go do his own thing, and set her gun down. Yet she's somehow surprised when a gang of these dudes jumps her? Maybe I'm missing something but how did this idiot survive in a world where there's machines running around trying to kill her?
Also having seen Terminator 2 did anyone else find it odd that molten steel actually can't melt a T-800 endoskeleton?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
lefarce at 8:54PM, May 26, 2009
(offline)
patrickdevine
molten steel actually can't melt a T-800 endoskeleton?

Yes. It completely destroys the T-1000 and quickly melts the T-800 in T2, yet hurp derp does nothing here. Even the coolant should have done more damage than it did.

Bekefel at 9:05PM, May 26, 2009
(offline)
lefarce
T3: Rise of the Machines.

By the way I thought that T3:RotM was an extremely creditable movie.

It was so good I and a friend were the only ones in the cinema watching it, days after release.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
lefarce at 10:06PM, May 26, 2009
(offline)
Bekefel
lefarce
T3: Rise of the Machines.

By the way I thought that T3:RotM was an extremely creditable movie.

It was so good I and a friend were the only ones in the cinema watching it, days after release.

I just just watch it for that delicious John Connor. Now that is a John Connor I'd Like to Fuck (PS, that's called a JCILF).

God I cant even tell if I'm straight anymore. :/

Product Placement at 1:58AM, May 27, 2009
(online)
Finally saw this flick.

Meh.

Cool bike bots though.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
jalford at 3:51AM, May 27, 2009
(online)
F*ck yeah! So glad to see a good sci-fi movie this year. Picking up from the letdown that Terminator 3 was(even thought it was still a decent movie!), Salvation finally takes us into the post-Judgement Day future that they've been talking about in the original trilogy.

This was a great successor to the previous Terminator films. It supposed to be a lead into future movies too. I was wondering why they didn't show the time machine in the robot factory. I kept thinking, “Where's the Red Matter?”. So, hopefully they'll cover how John Conner allowed three other Terminators to go back in time(one of which kills him!). The acting was decent, even though Christian Bale seems like he's Mad Bruce Wayne some of the time. But the action was totally off the freakin' cliff! The robots are deadly and not f*cking around(take that, Japanese sexbots!), and the battle sequences are nothing like you've ever seen outside of a video game. You have to go see this in the theatre! It's so far the only thing I've seen this summer that I'd label as a blockbuster.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
mlai at 4:12AM, May 27, 2009
(online)
Interesting that Spill.com actually gave this movie a Full Price rating. So I guess Jalford's praise has some merit.

However, if it's a toss-up between Star Trek or this, then you should go watch Star Trek instead.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
lefarce at 10:02AM, May 27, 2009
(offline)
mlai
Interesting that Spill.com actually gave this movie a Full Price rating. So I guess Jalford's praise has some merit.

However, if it's a toss-up between Star Trek or this, then you should go watch Star Trek instead.

Or Night at the Museum 2. Although really if you have a “toss up” this Summer, pick Star Trek before anything. Movie owned.

zaymac at 9:24AM, May 30, 2009
(online)
A friend of mine asked me how this was and I gave him this review.

“It was loud and explosive… In the way that diahrrea is loud and explosive.”

Honestly, I could've done without Bale as John Connor. I kept looking for the emotional scene between him and Bryce that he referred to in his rant at the lighting director.

Besides Helena Bonham carter, the worst part was the logic of Skynet.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Ok, so Skynet has captured Kyle Reese because they know how important he is, yet they aren't smart enough to realize that if they just kill him, they will ELIMINATE John Connor!

Just awful writing.

In retrospect, I also enjoyed T3 more than this steaming pile of McG.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
lefarce at 3:27PM, May 30, 2009
(offline)
zaymac
*SPOILER ALERT*

Ok, so Skynet has captured Kyle Reese because they know how important he is, yet they aren't smart enough to realize that if they just kill him, they will ELIMINATE John Connor!

Just awful writing.

In retrospect, I also enjoyed T3 more than this steaming pile of McG.

Read what I linked to a few posts up. This is a byproduct from the early drafts of the script where he is actually killed and his mind made a part of Skynet's AI, even though they dont know who he is.

isukun at 8:38AM, May 31, 2009
(online)
Although both had some pretty shoddy writing in places, I'd still take this over Star Trek. At least the camera work doesn't give me a headache in Terminator and the sound editing was pretty good. I was much more entertained by this movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Splash Damage at 3:59PM, June 5, 2009
(online)
I loved this movie. Best action movie I've seen in a long time. Although it's not before judgement day, but after, it was super awesome. I was greatly entertained by this movie.

SPOILER:
And the appearance of the Governator was extremely cool for Terminator fans, which I am.

NON SPOILER:
I am mad that Christian Bale keeps getting all these great roles (Batman, John Conner) when he's such a douche.

-The Darrel
drunkduck.com/splash_damage
Updating Again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
lefarce at 11:27PM, June 5, 2009
(offline)
Someone
he's such a douche.

I actually adore him because of that. He tells it like it is, and doest take shit from anyone.

I do hate him for his creative input, because he's really not all that brilliant in terms of building a story. The fact that he insists on shoehorning himself into things the way he does is just stupid, and hinders the actual project. I dont care how much someone might like T4 (and it's you're own deal if you do, more power to you) but you've got to be insane to think that Connor served little to no purpose in this film.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved