Media Megaforum

terry pratchett discworld
jagular at 6:38AM, Nov. 27, 2007
(online)
okey, i'm pretty sure someone knows this series. for those who don't know it, it's amazingly smart and funny. the books are about wizards, gods/personifications, witches, and even political events about money and war. discworld is flat and carried by 4 elephants which are carried by a huge turtle. there are many continents that are the equivalent to real places, like ankh-morpork which is like britain or north america and The Agatean Empire which is like imperial china or japan
If anything bad happens,I'm blaming Global Warming.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
mechanical_lullaby at 6:53AM, Nov. 27, 2007
(online)
I know the series. For however hilarious the books are, all the characters are the same character(basically). The television series based off the books really don't take me– the dialog always feels forced to me because of the ridiculous nature of his characters.
I like his Death Trilogy, though, and also Good Omens(which wasn't part of the Discworld–my mistake for not including that*blush*– but is a good read). Those tend to stand out.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Steely Gaze at 9:11AM, Nov. 27, 2007
(offline)
I love all of Pratchett's work, and have to say that the Discworld series will stand the test of time as possibly the funniest literature ever written.

I have to disagree with Mechanical_Lullaby. Pratchett writes different characters quite well, though they do tend towards the ridiculous. I have certain characters that stay with me more than others (Mort is a personal favorite) but each feels unique to me. And I don't think any of his dialog is forced at all; if it wasn't as smooth as it is, as natural, I don't think the humor would work at all. The same goes for Douglas Adams Hitchhiker ‘trilogy’. In their worlds, the absurd is normal, and absurdity is hilarious.

Also, Good Omens wasn't part of the Discworld series, and though I haven't read it yet is sounds delightful.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Frostflowers at 10:24AM, Nov. 27, 2007
(online)
I have a boundless love for all things Pratchett. Even back when he tried to write “epic” fantasy (The Carpet People) - about people living in a shaggy carpet, whose noble steeds were bugs and who mined sugar from dropped sugar cubes and what not, he managed to do it with a sort of nod-and-wink kind of style.

I like that he can take something like “What if Death goes on vacation?” or “What if you made a con-man the Postmaster General?” and then running in a hundred zany directions with it. To quote someone else; Terry Pratchett's books are profoundly funny and funnily profound.

I'm hoping to get Making Money for Christmas - Moist von Lipwig is one of my favourite Discworld characters. :)
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Djeinus at 2:13AM, Nov. 29, 2007
(online)
Damn it! I love those books! Especially The Last Hero.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
ozoneocean at 10:37PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
I tend to agree with Mecha in that a lot of the characters that have more of a strong internal “voice” tend to be quite extremely similar in their way of thinking with only very minor variation… It's a big case of the author speaking through the characters really. That's not a bad thing though, it's just how he likes to write.

I like the librarian character least. He had his day after his first few appearances. I can handle death being in every book because characters always have to die and it just works so well, but the bloody librarian is just levered into stories whether they need him or not. I'm tired of him. :(
Kill the monkey! Oh sorry, “Orang-outang” :P

The ones I like the best out of them all is when he has a first timer as the main character, not a recurring character. I love all those one-shot main characters ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
magickmaker at 11:37PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
My favorite Pratchett characters are definietely the three witches, though the lastest one was kinda a disappointment. Not bad, just not great.

I'm not that big of a Watch fan. The Death ones are pretty good. And Good Omens (I know, not Discworld), totally kicked ass.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 4:54AM, Dec. 1, 2007
(online)
Each Arc in the order of my most favorite to least favorite:

The Watch
Death
The One-Shot Characters
Rincewind
The Witches

If he's going to continue with the Moist books, then that'll probably go between Death and the One-Shots. Going Postal was great. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
ozoneocean at 5:16AM, Dec. 1, 2007
(online)
The debuts of the serial characters are equivalent to the one shots I would say, because in those he wasn't revisiting an old character. So Guards Guards was a great book, but all the rest about the Watch dragged on a little… Same with Equal Rites for Granny Weatherwax, The Colour of Magic for Rincewind, Mort for Death (I think that was his first as a main story character) etc.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Steely Gaze at 6:17AM, Dec. 1, 2007
(offline)
I can see what you're saying Ozoneocean, but I don't necessarily agree.

I think over time Pratchett does tire somewhat of using the same characters over and over, and so I've noticed that as time goes on they are regulated to the side. I haven't read a novel where Sam Vimes is the absolute main character in a long time, and that isn't bad. I think it's only bad if the characters don't do something more as time goes on, if they don't grow as characters.

I mean, the same thing could very well be said for any long running fantasy series over time. Characters grow stale if they're left alone with nothing to do.

LIZARD_B1TE at 8:26AM, Dec. 1, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
The debuts of the serial characters are equivalent to the one shots I would say, because in those he wasn't revisiting an old character. So Guards Guards was a great book, but all the rest about the Watch dragged on a little… Same with Equal Rites for Granny Weatherwax, The Colour of Magic for Rincewind, Mort for Death (I think that was his first as a main story character) etc.

I think Equal Rites is the only one of those I would call a One-Shot. Besides introducing Granny and Bad Ass, it doesn't connect with the rest of the series at all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
hukkahmaster at 6:50AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Speaking of introducing characters, does anyone else think the Moist von Lipwig stories have come out rather quickly? I mean, they're one of my favourite series, but usually theres about three different books between each one, but Making Money was only released two or so books after Going Postal, and the third one (which I'm not sure of the name of) will be coming out not too far in the future.
Click here for FREE cookies!

You just lost ‘The Game’.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Steely Gaze at 7:07AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
I don't think they're coming out too quickly. I mean, look at it like this, how long does it take Pratchett to write a novel? Okay, now how many novels does he write a year? See where I'm going? If he chooses to devote most of his time to one single character then that's what's going to come out first. It's the same with any author.

hukkahmaster at 7:14AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
I didn't say they were coming out TOO quickly (trust me they can't come out too quickly, my copy of Making Money was nearly ruined when I snorted milk across the room)
And since he usually writes two books a year, that means theres been a new Moist book (very moist if I keep have accidents with milk) every year. I just wondered if it was going to slow down in case he runs out of stories for him too soon. Which would be a shame. :(
Click here for FREE cookies!

You just lost ‘The Game’.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Steely Gaze at 10:01AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Ah, my mistake Hukkahmaster, I see exactly what you mean. Well that depends again though on something else: what do you think will happen if Pratchett runs out of ideas and his publisher pushes him to do another book with the same character? I remember being so disappointed with all the Hitchhiker books by Douglas Adams after The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, but I read later that his publisher pushed him to do those extra books and find new material that wasn't in the radio play.

I would rather have two or three great books about a single character in Discworld, than a hundred mediocre ones.

Pity I don;t have a copy of Making Money yet. The local bookstore went out of business last year and the only other place to find Pratchett's work is quite a ways out of my way.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved